rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Womanizing Lawyers

Womanizing Lawyers

I'm in law school right now. I can't recommend going to law school right now, unless you get into a T14. I do work in "big law," but it's in patent prosecution, which is a bit special compared to standard litigation practice. I don't know if the good times are ever going to come back, but business (and hence billable hours) are down.

Partnership is a scam; getting it does not necessarily depend on 1) merit, or 2) being a rainmaker. I know of a lawyer in my firm who was made equity partner without having his own client for client relation and political purposes. Getting clients often depends on your social network, like people you went to law school with or grad school/undergrad with.

On the other hand, I generally like the people I work with (#1 important factor), and the job is interesting and challenging. However, all partners and associates are highly idiosyncratic, which means each has a different idea of what your final work product should look like. If you can't deal with this sort of situation, you will not enjoy law practice.

I certainly don't plan on sticking around for partnership. It's simply not worth it, even if you're making $700K-$1M gross annually (not uncommon). I made $15-$20K per year as a graduate student, and I can't say that I am any happier making many times that salary. For me, happiness comes from travel, friends, and family. hydrogonian's advice is generally solid, especially with respect to working at the federal government. Down the road, I will either do that, or go in-house.

Messages In This Thread