rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Am I the Only One Who Doesn't Plan on Going Back to the Philippines?

Am I the Only One Who Doesn't Plan on Going Back to the Philippines?

Quote: (04-20-2011 11:36 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

I am finally getting it.

It seems that the people that say Fillipino food is "awful", "terrible" and "horrible" are eating at the super bargain basement street food joints. Which I understand are not nearly as good as the Thai street food joints. Fair enough.

Also, it seems that they are not really exploring things that the culture is famous for ie pig roasts.

Or eating at the finer restaurants or in people's houses.

So basically, they are just scratching the surface.

I knew I would get to the bottom of this one.

Either way, I am going to find out for myself soon enough.

I can add some clarification here-- there are some great dishes in the Philippines, mentioned in this thread and beyond-- sisig, kinilaw, lechon, adobo anything, crispy pata, bicol express-- all fantastic... that said they are difficult to find consistently at a good price.... it's common to say the best food in the Philippines is served on the private tables of middle to upper class families (I've found this to be basically true) and Flips don't want to go out for Filipino food (meh, sorta true...) and as you picked up, great street food places are relatively non-existent compared to the rest of Asia.

I can think of BLOCKS in Thailand, Bali, China, and Vietnam that have more intriguing restaurants/places to eat than most ISLANDS in the Philippines.

Decent western food-- and by decent we might be taking a TGI Friday's here-- is about as expensive as back in wherever you hail from.

So although you can get some awesome food in the Fils (perhaps the best value in the Fils is Korean food...) overall, it's the worst culinary culture I've ever been exposed to.. and yeah, I've lived in the US for a while [Image: smile.gif]

Great spots in Manila are the popular tourist bar "Erras" in Malate.
If you are in Dumaguete, Hayahay is one of the best spots in the country.

All that said-- you can dig around and find some good spots and ultimately it doesn't need to take away from all the fun that's to be had there.

Messages In This Thread