rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

John F. Kennedy

John F. Kennedy

Quote: (05-20-2016 12:22 AM)ShootTheMoon Wrote:  

Kennedy's assassination was also portrayed as a turning point in history, along the same lines as 9/11. The country's attitude took a much darker and angrier turn after his death. His assassination caused many baby boomers to start disliking and distrusting "the system" and that combined with the anti-war and anti-draft sentiments sweeping the nation because of the Vietnam War that his successor escalated led to the counterculture and hippie movements. Most of the things that the sixties are famous for might not have happened if Kennedy had lived.
I actually started to write about the profound affect is assassination had on the mood of the country earlier when I replied, but I decided to keep it short and simple. You can hear it in the music. From 1954-1963 most of the music was light and carefree. What we commonly call "oldies." From 1964 it was much darker and heavier. It lasted until around 1973 when we finally began to seriously get out of Vietnam, which is also around the time disco became popular.

I don't remember much of a change in music after 9/11. There was certainly a change in the psyche of the nation. Again, a great crime had been committed against the people. The government said "we'll fix this." And rather than fix it, they used it to pursue their own agendas. I remember the profound sadness I felt on 9/11. I wasn't sad for the people who died because I didn't know them. I was sad because I knew the world had changed, and it changed for the bad. I knew the country would embark down a dark path and that in very short order, the carefree life we all knew before 9/11 would be a distant memory. By the time they finally caught Bin Laden most of us didn't even care all that much. The psychological damage had been done by that point. But even after catching and killing the guy, our first female president fucked us over again and denied us what was due. They wouldn't show us pictures of his dead body.

The change we saw in the media after 9/11 was on regular tv programming. It seemed like every show on tv was about some government agency swinging its dick. CSI, NCIS, etc. I can't remember how many times in '02/'03 I heard the "good guys" on those shows threaten the bad guys with a charge of terrorism and a trip to Cuba. When Hurricane Katrina happened in '05 and the SHTF in '08, there was no panic in the streets because everyone was so mentally drained at that point, zero fucks were given.

Messages In This Thread