Roosh V Forum
The Man w/ the Golden Gun Fitness Thread - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+---- Forum: Fitness (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-6.html)
+---- Thread: The Man w/ the Golden Gun Fitness Thread (/thread-64395.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

The Man w/ the Golden Gun Fitness Thread - The Man w/ the Golden Gun - 08-19-2017

I write and maintain this fitness thread to keep me accountable, to get feedback, and to help others who may come along for the fitness ride. In particular, talking with General Stalin got me to start my own thread. You can find his here: thread-55629.html

Speaking of other forum members, I've directly talked fitness with several forum members and I'm glad for it. Shoutout in no particular order to: Cr33pin, MiscBrah, General Stalin, kaotic, and YoungBlade.

STATS
5'6" 161 lbs

Today's workout
Overhead Press: 70 lbs: 2 x 12

Wide Grip Rack Chinups: Bodyweight: 2 x 15, 1x11

Bench: 135 lbs: 1 x 13, 1 x 12

Hammer Curls: 30 lbs: 2 x 10

Lat Raises: 15 lbs: 1 x 13, 1 x 12, 1 x 11

Kroc Rows: 40 lbs: 1 x 30, 1 x 25

Those who have also read kaotic's thread may register that this is the A day from a program Steelex came up with for kaotic. Good eye if you did.
thread-60848...pid1495451
Figuring that I was relatively close to kaotic in stature, I went with the program.
Big props to both of those two-Steelex seems to be dropping fire in Weightlifting and Fitness.

I've lifted casually for 2-3 years and went from 130 lbs to where I am today. No longer do people call me a twig and apparently I have a little bit of size, which is news to me. Gaining size has been a fixation for me as a shorter guy (and will probably continue to be that way; just is) because you feel you can never get big enough.

That said, I want to focus on building strength now, which I take to mean more compound lifts, heavier weight, and lower reps. This is what you can expect from me in the upcoming workouts.

Size will come with strength too, right? That's what I heard from fellow manlet AlphaDestiny on YouTube anyways.

Lift and let lift, boys!

The Man w/ the Golden Gun Fitness Thread - RIslander - 08-20-2017

No squats?!

The Man w/ the Golden Gun Fitness Thread - The Man w/ the Golden Gun - 08-20-2017

Quote: (08-20-2017 12:14 PM)RIslander Wrote:  

No squats?!

Of course squats!

Today's Workout B Day

Deadlifts w/ shrug: 225 lbs: 3 x 5

Squats: 205 lbs: 3x3

Neck Curls: 25 lbs to failure. Front & Back 30 reps each

Planks (3 sets): 1 min 50 sec/1 min 10 sec/ 1 min

The Man w/ the Golden Gun Fitness Thread - General Stalin - 08-21-2017

You have the makings to be one of those stocky asian motherfuckers. Example A:

[Image: 081b8313290a6a386bf9df23c65f88f6.jpg]

You are going to need to up your home-gym game though with some more equipment at some point, or think about getting a member somewhere near you so you can utilize more equipment. A barbell, bench, and squat rack will only get you so far (depending on your goals). Especially if you get strong as fuck and need more plates but don't want to be shelling out hundreds of dollars for some new 45's.

What does your diet look like?

The Man w/ the Golden Gun Fitness Thread - The Man w/ the Golden Gun - 08-21-2017

I have enough plates at home to put on 315-for now I'm set in terms of immediate training needs for strength. But it's true: a home gym is limited. I used to row and go swimming more frequently back when I was at university. When I get close to a 2-plate bench, 3-plate squat, and deadlift 2x my bodyweight (arbitrary benchmarks I've heard from online and gym friends of mine), I think I'll have to get a member.

One big benefit behind getting a member is hitting the weights together with your friends. Iron sharpens iron, as they like to say a lot.

A Day:
Overhead Press: 95 lbs: 1 x 5, 2 x 4

Wide Grip Rack Chinups: Bodyweight: 2 x 15, 1x11

Bench: 155 lbs: 2 x 4 (I'm going to add another set next time. I can handle it)

Hammer Curls: 40 lbs: 2 x 5 (I've always seen curls done at high volume, but since I want to build strength I'm going for heavier weight and lower reps)

Lat Raises: 15 lbs: 2 x 15, 1 x 13

Kroc Rows: 40 lbs: 2 x 30

The Man w/ the Golden Gun Fitness Thread - General Stalin - 08-22-2017

Quote:Quote:

Hammer Curls: 40 lbs: 2 x 5 (I've always seen curls done at high volume, but since I want to build strength I'm going for heavier weight and lower reps)

Does the program you are using call for that rep-range on isolation movents? Generally super low reps (below 8) don't do a lot for an isolated excercise as you are using so few muscles that the stimulation required to get a response from the muscle isn't there. The point of isolation excercises is to get hypertrophy and stimulate musclenfiber growth (unless of course your fitness goal isn't up your curl max?)

Just a thought.

If you curl a 20lb DB 3 x 15 for a week or 2 straight and get the proper food intake and rest, that muscle will grow and 20lbs will be too light to get the same response so you will need to go up in weight.

The Man w/ the Golden Gun Fitness Thread - The Man w/ the Golden Gun - 08-24-2017

Quote: (08-22-2017 01:10 AM)General Stalin Wrote:  

Does the program you are using call for that rep-range on isolation movents? Generally super low reps (below 8) don't do a lot for an isolated excercise as you are using so few muscles that the stimulation required to get a response from the muscle isn't there. The point of isolation excercises is to get hypertrophy and stimulate musclenfiber growth (unless of course your fitness goal isn't up your curl max?)

Just a thought.

If you curl a 20lb DB 3 x 15 for a week or 2 straight and get the proper food intake and rest, that muscle will grow and 20lbs will be too light to get the same response so you will need to go up in weight.

That makes a lot of sense why curls are typically high volume. I had been thinking "low reps, high weight" applied to almost everything while forgetting that curls are an isolation exercise as opposed to a compound exercise.

I never got back to you on diet earlier. I generally eat healthy: white rice and chicken, some beef, and vegetables (broccoli for anti-cancer and anti-estrogenic properties, spinach), but cheat meals don't hurt me too bad.

Typical protein shake I consume during and after the iron is about 750 calories, 70 g protein.

Would sporadically count calories, but I'm starting to plateau a little in terms of weight. This means I should count calories and track my weight more frequently.

Today I weighed in at 163 lbs.

I lightly sprained my ankle on Tuesday and took that day off. Yesterday 8/23/17 felt good enough to lift so here is yesterday's try at the iron:

B Day (8/23/17)

10 minutes foam rolling and minor stretching

Deadlift + 5 second shrug at top: 235 lbs 3 x 5

Squat: 210 lbs: 3 x 4

Neck Curls to F: 25 lbs x 35 (front and back)

Bb Row: 135 lbs: 3 x 3

Planks (3 sets): 2 m/1m 15 s/1 m

The Man w/ the Golden Gun Fitness Thread - The Man w/ the Golden Gun - 08-24-2017

A Day (8/24/12017):
Overhead Press: 95 lbs: 1 x 5, 1 x 4
100lbs 1 x3

Wide Grip Rack Chinups: Bodyweight: 2 x 15, 1x12

Bench: 160 lbs: 3 x 4

I think I can lift heavier than 160. Adding on 5 lb increment the next time.

Hammer Curls: 20 lbs: 3 x 15

Lat Raises: 15 lbs: 3 x 15

Kroc Rows: 40 lbs: 1 x 30, 1 x 25 Fewer reps than the last day, due to a combination of wanting to finish up my workout + slacking off. Will push myself to 2 x 35 next time at least.

The Man w/ the Golden Gun Fitness Thread - The Man w/ the Golden Gun - 08-31-2017

B Day (8/30/2017)

10 minutes foam rolling and minor stretching

Deadlift + 5 second shrug at top: 245 lbs 1 x 4, 2 x 3

Squat: 215 lbs: 2 x 4, 1 x 3

Neck Curls to F: 25 lbs x 40 (front and back)

Bb Row: 135 lbs: 1 x 3, 1 x 4, 1 x 5

Planks (3 sets): 2 m/1m 10 s/1 m

The Man w/ the Golden Gun Fitness Thread - The Man w/ the Golden Gun - 09-02-2017

A Day (9/2/2017):
Overhead Press: 100 lbs 1 x 4
105 lbs 2 x 3

Chinups 3 x F: 9/5/7

Bench: 170 lbs 2 x 3, 1 x 2

Was going to bench 165, then I told someone I was going to bench 170. So there.

Hammer Curls: 20 lbs: 3 x 15

Lat Raises: 15 lbs: 3 x 15

Kroc Rows: 40 lbs: 2 x 30

Whoops, forgot I was going to push myself to 35 (see previous A day post). I find that when I hit the last part of the workout, I lose focus. I want my workout to be over so I can go drink a shake and stuff my face.

Clearly I should not lose focus and see my workout to the end. Good advice me.

The Man w/ the Golden Gun Fitness Thread - The Man w/ the Golden Gun - 09-04-2017

B Day (9/4/2017) FIGHTING THE IRON

20 minutes pre-workout foam rolling and stretching:
Quads
Calves
Hip Flexors
Lats
Pecs

Started foam rolling these areas after seeing a recent Instagram post by trainer bodmechanic (which basically said: foam roll these areas pre-workout). I heard about bodmechanic from my friend ratoj9 here.

Deadlift + 5 second shrug at apex: 245 lbs 3 x 4

Squat: 225 lbs: 1 x 3, 2 x 4

Neck Curls to Failure: 25 lbs
Front: 45
Back: 51 I finally took "to failure" to its definition, not stopping at a "nice number" ending in a 0 or a 5.

Bb Row: 135 lbs 1 x 5, 145 lbs 2 x 4

Planks (3 sets): 2 m/1m 30 s/1 m 5 s

Post-workout stretch and foam rolling (same as above)
10 min steady state cardio (some better than none)

The Man w/ the Golden Gun Fitness Thread - Jagnum - 09-05-2017

5'6" going from 130 to 161 lbs. Awesome dude. How'd you put on 31 lbs?

Be curious to know what your diet looks like, or more accurately, what in your diet made the big difference. I suspect that's 80% of it.

The Man w/ the Golden Gun Fitness Thread - The Man w/ the Golden Gun - 09-05-2017

Thanks. I'm an ectomorph and in my experience, I have never eaten enough to make myself fat. Food baby, sure. That would be gone by next morning. Body caliper measurements come to around 15% bf on the lower end and 21% on the higher end

At the time (130 lbs), I was at university and was stuck on the meal plans there, which were a horrible bang for your buck (someone told me it came out to 0.65 cents on the dollar, I think I got that too when I looked at it).

The good thing is it was buffet style, so I'd steal all the chicken and pasta.

"Do you really want four chicken thighs?" "I'll be back."

I just took in more calories at a time where I started weight training casually and it got me up to 150 lbs.

Over the last 6 months I noticed I plateaued and wasn't getting stronger. I'm no longer at uni but I still stuffed my face with chicken, pasta, broccoli, the occasional McDonalds and pizza. That got me to 160.

My daily diet includes:
Protein shake (meant to gain): around 750 calories, 70 g protein
Chicken. I know chicken breast is a staple, but I also like chicken thighs because it comes with fat. Good to replenish hormones.
Rice/Pasta: For energy and to bump up that calorie count.
1 can of sardines: for the omega 3 counterbalance to the omega 6 I take in from rice/pasta, and for the benefit of my joints.
4 fish oil pills: see sardines, minus the protein
Anywhere from a handful to two bowls of cereal: carbs and for putting on mass. I got the idea for this from "For y'all you fucking hard gainers": thread-61919.html

Weighing in at 164 lbs now. Curious what you think.

The Man w/ the Golden Gun Fitness Thread - polar - 09-05-2017

Quote: (09-05-2017 06:35 PM)The Man w/ the Golden Gun Wrote:  

Thanks. I'm an ectomorph and in my experience, I have never eaten enough to make myself fat. Food baby, sure. That would be gone by next morning. Body caliper measurements come to around 15% bf on the lower end and 21% on the higher end

At the time (130 lbs), I was at university and was stuck on the meal plans there, which were a horrible bang for your buck (someone told me it came out to 0.65 cents on the dollar, I think I got that too when I looked at it).

The good thing is it was buffet style, so I'd steal all the chicken and pasta.

"Do you really want four chicken thighs?" "I'll be back."

I just took in more calories at a time where I started weight training casually and it got me up to 150 lbs.

Over the last 6 months I noticed I plateaued and wasn't getting stronger. I'm no longer at uni but I still stuffed my face with chicken, pasta, broccoli, the occasional McDonalds and pizza. That got me to 160.

My daily diet includes:
Protein shake (meant to gain): around 750 calories, 70 g protein
Chicken. I know chicken breast is a staple, but I also like chicken thighs because it comes with fat. Good to replenish hormones.
Rice/Pasta: For energy and to bump up that calorie count.
1 can of sardines: for the omega 3 counterbalance to the omega 6 I take in from rice/pasta, and for the benefit of my joints.
4 fish oil pills: see sardines, minus the protein
Anywhere from a handful to two bowls of cereal: carbs and for putting on mass. I got the idea for this from "For y'all you fucking hard gainers": thread-61919.html

Weighing in at 164 lbs now. Curious what you think.

30# is great and your body fat is on point, I'd need to drop 5+ lbs to look as cut.

You're clearly doing something right. The trick is knowing if you should keep doing the same thing or change them up...and I don't have those answers.

The Man w/ the Golden Gun Fitness Thread - The Man w/ the Golden Gun - 09-06-2017

A Day (9/5/2017):

Eschewed the last two workouts (lat raises and kroc rows) because it was getting late + I was hungry + I wanted to go to bed earlier to get up earlier.

Overhead Press: 105 lbs 2 x 3, 1 x 2

Chinups 3 x F: 10/6/7

Bench: 175 lbs 2 x 3, 1 x 2

Hammer Curls: 25 lbs: 3 x 15

bolded # indicate increase in weight

Weighed in this morning (9/6/2017) at 162 lbs.

Quote: (09-05-2017 09:39 PM)polar Wrote:  

The trick is knowing if you should keep doing the same thing or change them up...and I don't have those answers.

Thanks. Plan is to continue this bulk from now until the winter, then start cutting for spring in Summer come January/February/March, somewhere around that time.
I've never focused on looking cut before. Next year spring/summer would be a good time to be cut

When the time comes to cut:
I will substitute couscous and cauliflower for rice/pasta (cut down on carbs...no more pierogi haha)
Alter my protein shake to have fewer calories
Start my workout sessions with cardio first as I look to build up endurance and weight train for maintenance.

The Man w/ the Golden Gun Fitness Thread - General Stalin - 09-07-2017

I've met man w/ golden gun and he has a good build. You can tell he is a naturally skinny dude who put on mass as he has broader shoulders, thicker arms, but a tapered shape. He carries the weight well but does not have a ton definition, which leads me to believe 15%-20% BF is accurate.

If aesthetics is your goal then cutting to somewhere in the 150's may be to your benefit eventually to lean up.

Also +1 for chicken thighs. They are cheaper, taste better, and have good fats in them. I never buy breast unless I'm specifically getting them for a certain recipe e.g. chicken cordon bleu. I'm a thigh and drumstick guy all the way.

The Man w/ the Golden Gun Fitness Thread - The Man w/ the Golden Gun - 09-07-2017

Realized that I've been sitting as I watch the NFL opener. So instead, I'll be standing and stretching while watching. Go Pats!

The Man w/ the Golden Gun Fitness Thread - The Man w/ the Golden Gun - 09-08-2017

B Day (9/8/2017) FIGHTING THE IRON

Ate some raspberries pre-workout for some energy.

Quads
Calves
Hip Flexors
Lats
Pecs

Deadlift + 5 second shrug at apex: 250 lbs 1 x 3, 2 x 5

Squat: 225 lbs: 1 x 3, 2 x 4

Neck Curls to Failure: 35 lbs Front: 36 reps, Back 39 reps

As usual, spoonful of creatine + protein shake afterwards. About to stuff my face with dinner.

The Man w/ the Golden Gun Fitness Thread - The Man w/ the Golden Gun - 09-11-2017

A Day (9/11/2017):

Overhead Press: 105 lbs 2 x3, 110 lbs 1 x 2

Pullups 3 x F 8/7/6

Bench: 170 lbs 1 x 3, 2 x 2

Hammer Curls: 30 lbs: 3 x 15

Lat Raises: 20 lbs:2 x 11, 1 x 14

Kroc Rows: 45 lbs: 2 x 30

The Man w/ the Golden Gun Fitness Thread - The Man w/ the Golden Gun - 09-14-2017

B Day (9/14/2017)

Deadlift + 5 second shrug at apex: 260 lbs 1 x 5

Been slowly putting weight on my deadlift, but I actually DL'd more than this before. What the heck, I put on 275 lbs 2 x 3

Squat: 235 lbs: 1 x 4, 1 x 5, 1 x 3

Neck Curls to Failure: 35 lbs Front: 31 reps, Back 40 reps

Planks: 1m 10 s, 1m, 1m 15 s

15 min cardio at the end

light stretching

I will start timing my rest periods in between sets because I find myself on Instagram. Aiming for 3-5 min rest for lower body lifts and 2-3 min rest for upper body lifts (via Alan Thrall, starting at 6:40: https://youtu.be/H1zLTBudY6c?t=6m40s)

The Man w/ the Golden Gun Fitness Thread - General Stalin - 09-14-2017

Lifts are looking good man, especially that deadlift. Keep it up!

The Man w/ the Golden Gun Fitness Thread - The Man w/ the Golden Gun - 09-16-2017

Quote: (09-14-2017 09:05 PM)General Stalin Wrote:  

Lifts are looking good man, especially that deadlift. Keep it up!

Thank you. I think I can lift heavier than that, because part of myself tells me that I hate doing deads and it shows when I take extra long rest periods in between deads. So I end up psyching myself into doing these lifts (and then, no problems). But I wish I liked doing deads more.

A Day (9/16/2017):

Overhead Press: 110 lbs 1 x 3
105 lbs 1 x 3
95 lbx 2 x 4
105 lbs 1 x 2

Chinups: 11/7/7

Bench: 185 lbs 5 x 1

This is a moderate jump from 175 lbs just over a week ago. I found myself just pushing singles here instead of doing 3 sets, 3-5 rep range here.

Hammer Curls: 35 lbs: 3 x 15

Form suffered towards the later sets but I hit my biceps well.

Been sticking to around 3 minutes rest.

The Man w/ the Golden Gun Fitness Thread - polar - 09-20-2017

From my experience, I've noticed, emotionally, my favorite lift is whatever one has been progressing the most as of late...and therefore, the lift I am the most excited to continue improving.

I used to hate squats. Then I did stronglifts 5x5, with squats every workout, and I learned to like them, good form and all.

Then I tweaked my knee...out with squats (but I still do them), in with deadlifts.

Now the "favorite" is a tie between Kroc rows and deadlifts.

Whatever gives me a great pump, goes up by one extra rep, or by 5 extra pounds, makes me feel great. I now understand what Arnie meant when he said that lifting felt like cumming. But every now and then, you gotta take the L, drop a few pounds, and rebuild - in order to fight an extra 5lb of iron, and win.

Discipline beats playing favorites. Be careful that when you have a favorite, you don't end up lifting with your ego.

The Man w/ the Golden Gun Fitness Thread - The Man w/ the Golden Gun - 09-23-2017

B Day (9/21/2017)

Skipped the foam rolling and stretching this time

Deadlift + 5 second shrug at apex: 225 lbs 3 x 5

Squat: 225 lbs: 3 x 5

Neck Curls 3 x 10 35 lbs

Neck curls as an isolation exercise. I thought I could do more than my 1 set to failure with the neck, so I think I'll start to increase volume this way. Next time it will be 3 x 15.

A Day (9/23/2017):

Overhead Press:
95 lbs 1 x 5
105 lbs 2 x 4

Chinups: 9/9/6

Bench:
Warmup: 135 lbs 1 x 10
155 lbs 1 x 6
175 lbs 1 x 2
185 lbs 1 x 1

Hammer Curls: 35 lbs: 3 x 15

Lateral Raises: 20 lbs: 3 x 15

Kroc Rows 45 lbs: 2 x 30

20 min steady state cardio on the treadmill

Update: I'm weighing in at 167 lbs, pushing 168. I've gone up a pant waist size, but that's not a concern to me as I was skinny as a stick to start with. I'm liking the look in the mirror, getting fluffy and bigger.

The Man w/ the Golden Gun Fitness Thread - polar - 09-25-2017

4# in a month sounds pretty fast. I've done that and I'd worry about getting fat at that rate, but will defer to anyone who has more experience than I do.

You had good BF% when we crossed paths, def more cut than me. You have a ways to go before you get "too" fat, but it's also up to you to determine where your line is. I know I didn't think I got too fat until I compared pics of my face to months earlier.

Also, your log has been motivating me to keep up the hard work. Keep it up.