Roosh V Forum
Anybody here own a firearm? - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Anybody here own a firearm? (/thread-23927.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Anybody here own a firearm? - Adonis - 07-19-2016

Quote: (07-19-2016 05:22 PM)vinman Wrote:  

Quote: (07-19-2016 12:20 PM)toejam Wrote:  

I dont shoot, yet. About 45 days from having a license. What would yall recommend for a backup concealed carry. Something small and effective for the ankle holster

No. Ankle rigs are only effective for people that spend a lot of time seated. You can carry a small semi auto in a pocket with a good pocket holster. If you want to know what it's like drawing from an ankle rig stuff something in your sock, then practice dropping to one knee getting it out as fast as you can.

Quoted for emphasis. A lot of guys who carry will have a drawer full of holsters they don't like after trying them out. I had an ankle rig and it didn't even make it in the drawer, straight to the trash. I would skip a backup gun altogether and just get a summer/winter carry combo that can use the same mags like G19 + G26 for example.

Quote: (07-19-2016 05:33 PM)weambulance Wrote:  

I don't recommend carrying a spare gun, but if you do want to, carry something very small and slim like a Ruger LCP in a wallet holster. Ankle holsters are uncomfortable and not practical. Besides, this is what happens when you try to draw from an ankle holster:

Relevant bit is at about 3:40.

He was making a move man, I had to get it on!

Anybody here own a firearm? - hydrogonian - 07-19-2016

Carrying IWB sucks to a large degree and I've realized that the weapon will get left at home more than not. Carrying OWB isn't practical. I'm not going to go to a shoulder holster, though that can be a solution for guys who are willing to do it. Thus, I've come to the conclusion that most of the old-timers at the gun store came to a long time ago: a Kel Tec p32 in a pocket holster. Most bad guys aren't going to do anything but run after something goes bang in their direction, anyway. I don't see the caliber as an issue. Besides, it's the caliber of the sidearm that my grandfather was issued in WWII. It's not as ineffective as the mall-ninjas on youtube make it out to be.

Quote: (07-18-2016 10:37 PM)Leonard D Neubache Wrote:  

Quote: (07-17-2016 07:37 PM)hydrogonian Wrote:  

Lately, I've been coming around to the 20 inch barrel on the AR as the better option in lieu of the carbine length barrels.

Thumbs up. Unless you're planning on doing house sweeps from nine to five, seven days a week then shortening the barrel length on a .223 is really robbing the round of its potential for no real gain.

That, smoother recoil impulse for faster rounds on target, and less concussion and noise that makes it more practical to add a brake fore even further reduced recoil and fast ability to put rounds on target. Then add a CMC trigger and away we go... And it looks bad-ass in my opinion next to the glut of SBR to 16 inch barrels, but of course I don't pay attention to that sort of thing [Image: smile.gif]

Anybody here own a firearm? - philosophical_recovery - 07-19-2016

Depending on the weather, I can do IWB on anything from a Glock 26 to a Glock 17 or a 5" barrel .45apc 1911. I like carrying the fullsizes because I have practiced/competed with them and I know that I have good mechanics, great grip, and can shoot very well in the 3-7yd ranges.

However, I really would like to carry something smaller in a pocket holster. The 26 is quite fat, and a 43 or a S&W Shield or likewise would be much better. Have considered a .32ACP or a .375/38 special revolver, but haven't committed yet. Will likely swap out a gun or two that I hardly shoot once I rent a few at the range.

I can almost get the Glock 26 to fit comfortably in a pocket holster, but it's too damn noticeable. I'm seconding Adonis' comment that I have more holster than I care for, due to trying out a bunch for various guns. I even have one for a .44 magnum that I only take out when I'm going to be out on a hike where anything 4 or 2 legged needs to drop in a single shot.

Anybody here own a firearm? - hydrogonian - 07-19-2016

A belly band might also be a good option for anyone wanting to conceal a .32/.380/.38 or maybe even a small 9mm.

Of course, another popular option with the somewhat older set is the tactical fanny pack [Image: smile.gif] I actually see it quite a bit, especially on retired cops, probably merely because a high percentage of them carry in comparison with the rest of their demographic.

Both are likely to be good options if you are going to be more active.

Anybody here own a firearm? - Adonis - 07-19-2016

Quote: (07-19-2016 08:45 PM)hydrogonian Wrote:  

A belly band might also be a good option for anyone wanting to conceal a .32/.380/.38 or maybe even a small 9mm.

Of course, another popular option with the somewhat older set is the tactical fanny pack [Image: smile.gif] I actually see it quite a bit, especially on retired cops, probably merely because a high percentage of them carry in comparison with the rest of their demographic.

Definitely has its place. Smart Carry and a S&W Shield is my PT gear/sweatpants carry setup.

Anybody here own a firearm? - scubadude - 07-20-2016

Smart Carry has been by #1 holster for nearly a decade. Almost always with a J-frame. Get about 2 years out of them before wear holes develop. I wear it a little different than recommended though. I shoot right so the butt is facing right in the smart carry. Then move the whole thing to about the 11 o'o'clock position. This puts it right between my pocket and groin. Can unzip and piss without moving it. Looks completely normal in any clothes. The only drawback is it is a little slower to draw but that's a sacrifice of always having 5 rounds of .357 ready to go. I also get piece of a milk jug and cut it out into the shape of the pocket and use it as a firmer trigger guard. Just a little extra piece of mind given its location.

Anybody here own a firearm? - Leonard D Neubache - 07-20-2016

Pfft. Noobs.

There's only one option for CC.

[Image: taxi-driver-gun.gif]

Anybody here own a firearm? - TravelerKai - 07-20-2016

I need to look into a belly band. I have been using this (pic below) all year and it's great but, it's well over 100 outside now. Last week I wore it I thought I was going to suffocate.

[Image: 40021_vholster_shirt_010_1.png]

Sometimes my holsters drive me nuts with my 9mm or do not cooperate with all of my pants or workout clothes. My Sig Sauer is much more comfortable with jeans on but that is not the gun I like to carry all the time.

If you or the others have any good belly bands you recommend, I would appreciate it.

Anybody here own a firearm? - J. Spice - 07-21-2016

Quote: (07-20-2016 03:07 PM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

I need to look into a belly band. I have been using this (pic below) all year and it's great but, it's well over 100 outside now. Last week I wore it I thought I was going to suffocate.

[Image: 40021_vholster_shirt_010_1.png]

Sometimes my holsters drive me nuts with my 9mm or do not cooperate with all of my pants or workout clothes. My Sig Sauer is much more comfortable with jeans on but that is not the gun I like to carry all the time.

If you or the others have any good belly bands you recommend, I would appreciate it.

I use one of these when I'm out running: Pistol Wear
It comfortably holds my J-frame and wallet.

Anybody here own a firearm? - Leonard D Neubache - 07-21-2016

Although it's purely academic in my region, I'm interested to know if any of you CC guys have taken an interest in the Taurus Curve.

[Image: taurus-curve-1.jpg]

Anybody here own a firearm? - hydrogonian - 07-21-2016

That looks madly overbuilt and hot.

Quote:Quote:

I don't own one and so I can't recommend. Though, I'm also considering a purchase for times when I might be more active. Though, it might also be hot for the purpose for which I currently see using it.

The time that I feel most vulnerable, which also happens to occur during the activity that disallows for an iwb holster, is when working out in the park next to a shady neighborhood and foot traffic. I'm doing the same thing in the same place for an extended period of time, wearing headphones, and my head is often fixed in a single direction. I'm wearing loose sweatpants.

Pocket carry isn't ideal because of the motion, and a level of retention is desired. A belly band would be good, but perhaps hot. So, I'm considering one of these. Cops will make what it is easily, but I'm not worried about that nor about the fashion while working out. Note the fast-pull tab that separates this carry-pack from a generic fanny pack. I like the black version:

http://www.511tactical.com/select-carry-...pouch.html

Belly bands seem somewhat generic, which is probably a good thing because it makes them simple and inexpensive. Personally, I'd avoid those with too many loops and other accommodations for mags and accessories. I'd want something maximally flat and narrow. I'd stick an extra mag in my pocket, if carrying one. Given that consideration, I'd also venture that they are likely best for thinner and lighter pistols, perhaps around 1.1, or maybe even 1 inch, slide thickness and under. But that's just my intuition on the matter. I'm sure that some guys make them work for thicker weapons as well.

If I were you, I'd first search for pistol specific recommendations. Second I'd go on popularity and reviews.

The top two pistol holsters on amazon are belly bands. Perhaps take a look at both:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/sp...g_1_7_last

Too expensive but probably solid:

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/category/belly-band

A review of four belly bands:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/battle-...led-carry/

These belly bands are more or less the type of simplicity that I would personally look toward. They're inexpensive and come in different widths:

https://www.daltechforce.com/collections...ry-options

Anybody here own a firearm? - toejam - 07-21-2016

What do you wear when you're dressed "up"?
Or are they all sufficient for tailored slacks.

Quote: (07-21-2016 08:26 AM)Leonard D Neubache Wrote:  

Although it's purely academic in my region, I'm interested to know if any of you CC guys have taken an interest in the Taurus Curve.

That looks like a solution without a problem.

Anybody here own a firearm? - TravelerKai - 07-21-2016

Quote: (07-21-2016 08:58 AM)hydrogonian Wrote:  

That looks madly overbuilt and hot.

I don't own one and so I can't recommend. Though, I'm also considering a purchase for times when I might be more active. Though, it might also be hot for the purpose for which I currently see using it.

The time that I feel most vulnerable, which also happens to occur during the activity that disallows for an iwb holster, is when working out in the park next to a shady neighborhood and foot traffic. I'm doing the same thing in the same place for an extended period of time, wearing headphones, and my head is often fixed in a single direction. I'm wearing loose sweatpants.

Pocket carry isn't ideal because of the motion, and a level of retention is desired. A belly band would be good, but perhaps hot. So, I'm considering one of these. Cops will make what it is easily, but I'm not worried about that nor about the fashion while working out. Note the fast-pull tab that separates this carry-pack from a generic fanny pack. I like the black version:

http://www.511tactical.com/select-carry-...pouch.html

Belly bands seem somewhat generic, which is probably a good thing because it makes them simple and inexpensive. Personally, I'd avoid those with too many loops and other accommodations for mags and accessories. I'd want something maximally flat and narrow. I'd stick an extra mag in my pocket, if carrying one. Given that consideration, I'd also venture that they are likely best for thinner and lighter pistols, perhaps around 1.1, or maybe even 1 inch, slide thickness and under. But that's just my intuition on the matter. I'm sure that some guys make them work for thicker weapons as well.

If I were you, I'd first search for pistol specific recommendations. Second I'd go on popularity and reviews.

The top two pistol holsters on amazon are belly bands. Perhaps take a look at both:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/sp...g_1_7_last

Too expensive but probably solid:

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/category/belly-band

A review of four belly bands:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/battle-...led-carry/

These belly bands are more or less the type of simplicity that I would personally look toward. They're inexpensive and come in different widths:

https://www.daltechforce.com/collections...ry-options

Thanks so much Hydro and J Spice.

After checking through everything all morning and reading some reviews, I realized that even though my primary handgun will fit all those belly bands, not all of them will fit with my rail mounted laser on it. That was a big gotcha there.

I think the Daltech's might actually fit my pistol the best because you can buy em with various wider sizes. Now I just have to figure out how wide to probably get it. I hope I don't buy the wrong one. I guess I can just get my tape measure and check the width etc. on my pistol before buying one. At least they are not expensive like the Crossbreeds.

It's a shame that the Daltech website doesn't have a pistol specific sizing guide. You may want to google search for concept-similar band manufacturer that includes a sizing guide.

Going off of the pics, it looks like one of the 4 inch bands is carrying the Sig p238. Other 4 inch models show a larger pistols that I can't identify. One looks like a Glock 26/27/33 size pistol. One looks like a sub-compact FN Herstal. It looks like a wide variance of pistols that will fit.

One vertical-carry 6 inch bands look like it is carrying a Glock 19 (or size-similar Glock), another a Ruger LC9. Those are different-enough sized pistols to be able to have confidence in a certain amount of flexibility in band sizing for your specific pistol.

Note the 6 inch horizontal-carry band at the bottom right of the screen that specifies it is for a "Large gun or guns with tactical lights". Indeed, it looks to be carrying a full size Taurus.

The bands look flexible as to what they will carry. Try to match up what you want to carry with the noted pistols in terms of size, and just go from there. The holsters have an open bottom, which seems to add quite a bit to their flexibility.

Anybody here own a firearm? - BrewDog - 07-21-2016

For self defense, I always recommend something small that's comfortable to carry. If it's bulky and cumbersome and you always end up leaving it at home because it's a pain in the ass, then it's doing you no good. For sheer knockdown power, a .40 cal is great. It's why the feds all carry them. But do you want that sticking into your hip all the time?

Usually just pulling out any gun is almost always enough to make a bad guy turn and flee. Robbers are looking for an easy score. They're lazy. That's why they're robbing and not working for a living. They're pussies that prey on the easiest mark they can find. A pistol in their face will make them run, even if it's a little .25. And don't shoot at someone running away. The law will not protect you for shooting a guy that has disengaged and is fleeing. Don't chase him out of the house and shoot him in the back as he's running across your lawn.

ALWAYS keep your pistol in a holster. The easiest way to shoot your dick off is to carry a pistol in your pocket or waistband without a holster. The very best safety for a pistol is keeping it in a holster until you absolutely need it and pull it out. You can't pull the trigger if it's holstered. A pistol will NEVER fire if it's in a holster.

Don't use cheap ammo. If you're carrying Walmart wadcutters, your pistol will jam. A weak bullet won't eject as efficiently as one with a lot of powder. It'll get stuck in your slide and you'll have to dick with it to rack a new round. And use good ammo to target practice. A pistol will react differently with good ammo and you want to be used to the recoil of the ammo you'll be carrying. Ammo is expensive, but don't be cheap on this.

Find out the laws of each state you're travelling through. If you drive through an unfriendly firearms state and get pulled over, you're going to have issues. You can likely take that shit to the Supreme Court and eventually win, but no one wants that headache. That's why those states get away with their communist rules. It's expensive and troublesome to fight illegal laws.

For a belly band, I'd personally be looking at <15 oz tier pistols.

Even the G26 style sub-compact tier, loaded, would be to heavy for my taste in the thin material of a belly band.

Examples of 15 oz tier, or below, pistols:

Sig p238
Sig p938
Glock 42
Glock 43 (17 oz unloaded)
Kel Tec P-3AT
Kel Tec P-32
Kel Tec PF-9
Kel Tec P-11

Anybody here own a firearm? - sonoran_ - 08-16-2016

so i finally took the PAL course in Canada and now will submit my information for the licence which will allow me to acquire non restricted long rifles. I told a few friends of mine and all think its a waste of money lol. Who knows, if shtf then we will see if it was a waste of money.

Disregarding a shtf scenario, at the minimum its a cool hobby.

Anybody here own a firearm? - Leonard D Neubache - 08-17-2016

Any of you guys ever hook up while you were carrying?

If so, did you go to any lengths to hide the fact you were carrying in a situation where (presumably) getting undressed was a factor?

I figure a thread on "bedroom reactions from girls to your piece" may be either misinterpreted or a little slim on content so I might as well ask here.

Anybody here own a firearm? - ed pluribus unum - 08-17-2016

Quote: (07-21-2016 11:50 AM)hydrogonian Wrote:  

For a belly band, I'd personally be looking at <15 oz tier pistols.

Even the G26 style sub-compact tier, loaded, would be to heavy for my taste in the thin material of a belly band.

Examples of 15 oz tier, or below, pistols:

Sig p238
Sig p938
Glock 42
Glock 43 (17 oz unloaded)
Kel Tec P-3AT
Kel Tec P-32
Kel Tec PF-9
Kel Tec P-11

I've handled (but not shot) a "Micro Desert Eagle" by Magnum Research in .380; very nice quality of finish, very compact but fit well in the hand, spec sheet says 14oz (empty).

Anybody here own a firearm? - Adonis - 08-17-2016

Quote: (08-17-2016 05:30 AM)Leonard D Neubache Wrote:  

Any of you guys ever hook up while you were carrying?

If so, did you go to any lengths to hide the fact you were carrying in a situation where (presumably) getting undressed was a factor?

I figure a thread on "bedroom reactions from girls to your piece" may be either misinterpreted or a little slim on content so I might as well ask here.

Always. I always carry if I am not on base or at the airport. It isn't usually an issue since I screen hard for anti gun tendencies and I generally try not to associate with those types of people. Before we meet I tell them I teach people to shoot guns, and her reaction to that is the final arbiter of whether I meet her or not. "Gun people" are stigmatized as ignorant racist rednecks in the media here, and when you reverse that in real life by having your shit together, strong frame, self control, confidence, etc most of the time girls will at the least be open to guns if not outright wet at the thought of shooting. Ive been really surprised at how many girls lean positively toward guns if they're into you. Great advice for taking a date shooting in the OKC thread.

Girls will invariably bump against it or feel it under my shirt early on and I usually just brush it off and say "its my insulin pump", "its my pace maker", "its my neural net processor", "its my bazooka" or some dumb shit which is obviously not true. When it comes time to get undressed, Ill usually take it off and put my wallet, keys, and phone over it to obscure it a little if at her place. At my place it goes right on the nightstand and they can leave if they don't like it.

Anybody here own a firearm? - weambulance - 08-17-2016

Sure, I've hooked up with girls while carrying. I haven't had any bad reactions, but I also lived in places like Texas and Alaska. If a girl says something about it, I just say "yeah it's my pistol" and if she asks why I'm carrying I usually just say "in case I need it" and leave it at that. It is not uncommon for girls to ask me to teach them to shoot. I've had a few girls turn out to be pretty amazing natural talents with a 22 pistol, but none of them ever stuck with it as far as I know.

I would probably have to do something else if I lived in a liberal shithole, though about half the girls I've known in NY and PA did not care at all about my guns. However, I don't carry in NY and when I'm in PA I'm open carrying in bear country for the most part and the girls around there are country girls who are used to guns.

Anybody here own a firearm? - vinman - 08-18-2016

Quote: (08-17-2016 11:59 AM)weambulance Wrote:  

Sure, I've hooked up with girls while carrying. I haven't had any bad reactions, but I also lived in places like Texas and Alaska. If a girl says something about it, I just say "yeah it's my pistol" and if she asks why I'm carrying I usually just say "in case I need it" and leave it at that. It is not uncommon for girls to ask me to teach them to shoot. I've had a few girls turn out to be pretty amazing natural talents with a 22 pistol, but none of them ever stuck with it as far as I know.

I would probably have to do something else if I lived in a liberal shithole, though about half the girls I've known in NY and PA did not care at all about my guns. However, I don't carry in NY and when I'm in PA I'm open carrying in bear country for the most part and the girls around there are country girls who are used to guns.

I've had chicks brush the gun and ask what it was. And then their eyes would get big when I told them it was a gun. They get really excited when you gently guide their hand to a holstered gun in a public place.

Anybody here own a firearm? - Adonis - 09-19-2016

Alright guys, fess up. Who here is a "super-owner" [Image: lol.gif]

The Atlantic: 50% of guns owned by 3% of Americans

There are hundreds of millions of guns in the United States—enough, according to several estimates, for every American civilian adult to own more than one.

But actual gun ownership is far more lopsided than that.

A sweeping new survey by researchers at Harvard University and Northeastern University finds that roughly half of the nearly 300 million firearms in the United States are concentrated in the hands of a tiny sliver of the U.S. population: Just 3 percent of American adults own some 130 million guns, according to The Trace and Guardian US, two news organizations that first reported on the survey. (The full survey has not yet been released; Guardian US and The Trace reported plans to publish a series of stories about the findings throughout the week.)

This portrait of gun ownership represents the equivalent of about 17 guns per person among a group of “super-owners,” the 7.7 million Americans who own between eight and 140 guns each.

Super-owners are emerging at a time when the number of guns in the country is rising—the nation’s stock of firearms has swelled by some 70 million guns since 1994 —while the percentage of gun owners in America has dipped. In other words, there are now more guns to go around in a shrinking population of gun owners. (About one-quarter of Americans say they own a gun, though more than one-third of Americans report living in a house where there is a firearm.)

Super owners are distinct from the larger group of gun owners in America in several ways. For one thing, they’re more likely to be men than women—even at a time when gun ownership among women is on the rise. (One area of overlap: Both women and super-owners were more likely than overall gun owners to say they owned a gun for protection.)

The new study, which is based on a 2015 survey of some 4,000 people, found super-owners were also less likely to be black or Hispanic compared with the rest of gun owners. From Guardian US:

Some super-owners are dedicated collectors with special rooms to display their assortment of historic firearms. Others are firearms instructors, gunsmiths, or competitive shooters, who need a variety of firearms in the course of work or competition. Some gun owners have a survivalist streak, and believe in storing up weapons, as well as food and water, in case of a disaster scenario. Others simply picked up a handgun here, a shotgun or hunting rifle there, and somehow ended up with dozens.
One man compared gun collecting to buying several pairs of shoes. “If you going hiking,” Philip van Cleave told Beckett, “you don’t want to use that one pair of high heels.”

Data on gun ownership in the United States remains fraught, largely because of the political and cultural intensity around the topic. There’s no official tally of how many guns—or gun owners—there are in the U.S., though many surveys and organizations have produced estimates. Tracking gun deaths is arguably even more complicated.

“The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the government entity that studies other public health issues, virtually ignores gun violence, owing to legislation widely interpreted as preventing such research,” wrote Kate Masters for The Trace. As Beckett points out for Guardian US, much of the existing data on gun ownership is debated. Gun rights advocates often argue that Americans underreport gun ownership—challenging reports that ownership is dropping—and, already, some of them are questioning the validity of the new survey.

“Really? Three percent of American gun owners own half the guns? That seems wildly off the mark,” Mike Bazinet, a spokesman for the National Shooting Sports Foundation, wrote in an email to Beckett. “On the surface, this survey sounds like part of the ongoing effort to minimize gun ownership to make more gun control seem politically achievable.”

"Sweeping new survey" = 4000 people

[Image: jordan.gif]

Anybody here own a firearm? - ms224 - 09-19-2016

People have mentioned this before but.

Foreign chics in the USA, first date.

Gun range with a handgun.

For most it will be a very new and novel experience.

Even if they don't like you , they will all remember going to the gun range.