rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Anybody here own a firearm?

I've been doing a lot of research in firearms, specifically pistols. It has always been an interest of mine and until recently, I didn't have the time to indulge in it.

I live in a non friendly 2nd amendment state, but after having police cruise down my street to catch some nitwit in a boat and telling us to shelter (cower) in place it's time to take this more seriously.

But i really want to get into sharp shooting too [Image: smile.gif]

Anybody out there with some stories and tips? There's a range 30 minutes from my place which i'll be joining for some classes.

My boy was going to buy 3 guns and give me the shotgun but he got denied at the counter. [Image: sad.gif]

But I have a paintball gun.

If you buy a gun get it in a common caliber, like 9mm. Buy one that fits your hand, and has a history of reliability, like a Glock. A Glock 19 is a good choice because it's durable, high capacity, and concealable. Learn the fundamental, and safety. There is nothing worse than a irresponsible gun owner, so don't be a dick head. And the less people that know you have it the better.

"Feminism is a trade union for ugly women"- Peregrine

Ammo is kind of expensive these days. The shootings have basically doubled the price.

That's the case in TX anyways.

How is ammo expensive? Just order some online. It really isn't expensive at all.

I don't have one right now but I want to get a Ruger 10-22 Takedown Rifle.

Quote: (05-16-2013 12:27 PM)frenchie Wrote:  

I've been doing a lot of research in firearms, specifically pistols. It has always been an interest of mine and until recently, I didn't have the time to indulge in it.

I live in a non friendly 2nd amendment state, but after having police cruise down my street to catch some nitwit in a boat and telling us to shelter (cower) in place it's time to take this more seriously.

But i really want to get into sharp shooting too [Image: smile.gif]

Anybody out there with some stories and tips? There's a range 30 minutes from my place which i'll be joining for some classes.

Good idea on the classes. The main thing you want to focus on is getting comfortable with a gun and being mindful of safety.

Since you live in a non-friendly 2nd amendment state, you are probably limited in your choice of firearms. A pump shotgun is a good choice for a home defense gun since it is intimidating, has spread and won't penetrate thick walls. Get one with an 18 inch barrel and you should be set (see below).

http://www.remington.com/products/firear...8inch.aspx

As for sharp shooting, you could buy the Glock 34 (9mm) or the Glock 35 (.40 S&W) since they have longer barrels/slides and are very accurate (see below).

http://us.glock.com/products/model/g34gen4

http://us.glock.com/products/model/g35

I know quality 9mm ammo is tough to find, even down South.

As far as pistols go, my favorites are Sig Sauer and H&K. I'd buy the H&K P30 if I had to get something today (~$800). Glocks are simple and effective, but I know some people are scared off by the whole safety thing.

I'd say go to a range that has some guns you can rent out and see what you like. The most enjoyable guns I've ever shot were a .357 revolver and a full auto G36 (holy shit was that awesome). Full auto MP5s are also fun. Granted these last two are basically unattainable.

I'd say for your purpose a quality 9mm and lots of range time would be best.

I'm guessing you cannot get a Concealed Carry permit in your state? That could make a difference in getting a full size pistol or a compact.

And yeah, pump shotgun is essential, cheap, easy to get.

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

Marine here.

Don't learn marksmanship with a pistol. They're more difficult to shoot than rifles.

Learn the fundamentals with a .22 LR, progress from there. PM.with questions if you'd like.

I live in California which is one of those states that is afraid of "scary" guns. I do have quite a few guns though, and easily my favorite is the Glock 22 40 cal. There's a reason it's the standard issue firearm of the DEA, and other government agencies. Accurate with a lot of stopping power. There is no safety, unless you count a trigger safety, and it's very easy to disassemble for cleaning.

The most important gun you'll ever own is a .22 rifle, so that should be your first or second purchase.

I have seven guns and ~3k rounds of ammo total.

I second "A War You Cannot Win", learn marksmanship with a .22 LR at the shooting range, ammo is dirt cheap and plenty of people would be willing to teach you. It wouldn't hurt to read a book about the subject either if you don't live in a redneck state. Shoot a couple thousand rounds and those skills will translate. Then you can move to pistols if you want.

Thanks for the tips guys.

My dad has a Walter PPK and double barrel shotgun. First experience actually holding a firearm. We didn't get to shoot them, but that'll be for next time. I know absolutely nothing about firearms so the advice is appreciated.

I did some googling and the whole process for getting an permit in NYC is a crazy ordeal.

I'm still considered a legal resident of Ohio where getting a license is considerably easy. I'm thinking about getting a permit in my hometown and then trying to transfer it over to Mass. I read that the state police handle non resident LTC licenses and are good about getting them sent through with the "all legal uses" or whatever they have for restrictions.

The whole process is annoying, but i'll jump through whatever hoop to exercise my 2nd amendment right.

Quote: (05-16-2013 03:48 PM)frenchie Wrote:  

Thanks for the tips guys.

My dad has a Sig Sauer and Glock. First experience actually holding a firearm. We didn't get to shoot them, but that'll be for next time. I know absolutely nothing about firearms so the advice is appreciated.

I did some googling and the whole process for getting an permit in NYC is a crazy ordeal.

I'm still considered a legal resident of Ohio where getting a license is considerably easy. I'm thinking about getting a permit in my hometown and then trying to transfer it over to Mass. I read that the state police handle non resident LTC licenses and are good about getting them sent through with the "all legal uses" or whatever they have for restrictions.

The whole process is annoying, but i'll jump through whatever hoop to exercise my 2nd amendment right.

There's a Smart Phone app caled "Legal Heat" that gives you the rundown on the concealed carry laws of all fifty states.

"Feminism is a trade union for ugly women"- Peregrine

Quote: (05-16-2013 01:40 PM)presidentcarter Wrote:  

I'd say go to a range that has some guns you can rent out and see what you like.

I can't emphasize this enough. The first gun I bought was a Glock 19. After putting a few hundred rounds through it I realized that the grip was a bit wide for my hands and I was never accurate consistently with it. I rented some guns and settled on a HK P2000SK in 9mm and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

Quote: (05-16-2013 02:38 PM)Hades Wrote:  

I have seven guns and ~3k rounds of ammo total.

I second "A War You Cannot Win", learn marksmanship with a .22 LR at the shooting range, ammo is dirt cheap and plenty of people would be willing to teach you. It wouldn't hurt to read a book about the subject either if you don't live in a redneck state. Shoot a couple thousand rounds and those skills will translate. Then you can move to pistols if you want.

How necessary are classes for learning basic marksmanship? The firing range in my area offers private instruction for $50/hr, but that's a bit steep. Hades recommends reading a book on the topic - is this (plus putting in the hours at the range) a reasonable replacement for private instruction? Can you teach yourself how to become a decent shooter, or is it technical and nuanced enough that you need a teacher?

A Canadian here, but I have a lot of experience (mostly rifles/shotguns)

Quote:Quote:

How necessary are classes for learning basic marksmanship? The firing range in my area offers private instruction for $50/hr, but that's a bit steep. Hades recommends reading a book on the topic - is this (plus putting in the hours at the range) a reasonable replacement for private instruction? Can you teach yourself how to become a decent shooter, or is it technical and nuanced enough that you need a teacher?

They also teach you a lot about firearm maintenance (very important).

I started out with an air rifle when I was 5 and had a .22 LR when I was 7 (still own it and use it to teach girls). When I was 12 I started skeet and trap shooting and competed until I was 17. I also got a .222 Remington when I was 12 which is still my favorite rifle to this day. It is so accurate over distance it still makes me smile. Walking 200m and seeing a tight grouping of little holes is a good feeling.

Of course I also have a 12ga and 30-06. In Canada/Alaska the joke is you will find a 30-06 cartridge on the floor of any truck if you look. Its that common.

Quote: (05-16-2013 04:07 PM)Takes3totango Wrote:  

Are you learning to shoot as a hobby or sport? Or are you carrying a pistol to defend yourself and others from violent crime? If its just for fun you can learn on your own, in fact national champion Brian Enos taught himself while competing.
http://www.brianenos.com/pages/bio.html

If this is for CCW or protecting your home you should get the most relevant instruction you can, former members our most elite units like Larry Vickers, Mike Pannone or Paul Howe are the ones you should look to first.

The .22 LR approach is the right way to go. Rifles and ammo are both cheap. Also, a 20 gauge, a field and a box of clay pigeons will get you adequate with a shotgun in no time. It's hella fun too.

Unlike everybody else it seems, I prefer revolvers. I don't conceal carry, but I take a Ruger .357 every time I go into the woods. I don't trust semi-autos to not jam on me.

Quote: (05-16-2013 05:34 PM)Gator_McKlusky Wrote:  

The .22 LR approach is the right way to go. Rifles and ammo are both cheap. Also, a 20 gauge, a field and a box of clay pigeons will get you adequate with a shotgun in no time. It's hella fun too.

Unlike everybody else it seems, I prefer revolvers. I don't conceal carry, but I take a Ruger .357 every time I go into the woods. I don't trust semi-autos to not jam on me.

Like I said I think the .357 revolver I shot was one of the best 'feeling' guns. Something about the mechanics of a revolver made it feel smoother than a semi, even thought I'm sure that was probably just a mental thing.

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

I used to have a 12 gauge but it got jacked. I plan on getting a pistol here soon, probably an h-k USP compact.

I had a Desert Eagle 1911, actually it was my dad's and he gave it to me when he left California.

How come there's no Brits on this thread?

That's because it's extremely rare for someone to have a gun here! Hell I haven't yet ran into anyone who has a gun here, then again I'm not friends with many hooligans.

I own three. 4 10, .22 and a .357. All given to me by my dad.

M4

Quote: (05-16-2013 07:38 PM)InternationPlayboy Wrote:  

I plan on getting a pistol here soon, probably an h-k USP compact.

USP compact is one of my favorite pistols.