Roosh V Forum
The Ukraine Thread III - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Travel (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: The Ukraine Thread III (/thread-37535.html)

The Ukraine Thread III - The Eradicator - 06-04-2016

Using Uklon in Ukraine: Mini Data-Sheet

Uber is one of my 'essential' travel tools that I use all over the place, but for some reason there is still no Uber in Kyiv or anywhere in Ukraine for that matter. This is surprising to me, since Uber operates in a lot of other environments where they'd likely encounter corrupt officials (many mid-tier African and Asian cities even have it now!) and Uber operates in many cities throughout Poland and Russia which are not completely dissimilar environments.

Starting with my second trip to Ukraine, I wanted to make sure I had a reliable taxi app at my disposal because I had been in a precarious situation last time where I had to get a cab from the street quickly and had to pay a fairly hefty premium for my lack of Russian language skills. Beyond the cost savings and convenience advantages, I realized there is also some safety risk in getting into random cars in the street that purport to operate as taxis (not much in the way of official licensing or decals here). I downloaded Uklon because I'd heard from locals that they use it and like it, and it is also available in English. I realized there are many other taxi apps available in Ukraine also; I only have experience with Uklon.

If you have used Uber before, using Uklon will be fairly straightforward for you.

Some differences from Uber and some things you will want to note when using it:

-Uklon, unlike many other Ukrainian taxi apps, is available in English. The translations are pretty good for the most part, but not perfect. The biggest issues will arise in street names. Uklon won't necessarily used the same anglicized street names as Google Maps or Booking.com.

-When choosing the 'start' and 'finish' addresses of your trip, it may be easier to select 'choose on map' and place the location on a map rather than try to work out the anglicized street name. You can also save places you go to/from frequently as 'favourite addresses' to make selecting them more easy.

-Some pick-up locations can be confusing (e.g. 32B or 32/1). When you choose one of these addresses that doesn't go directly onto the street some drivers will find the right pick-up location and some won't. Unless you want to call your driver and are able to direct them in Russian, it's easiest just to choose the nearest normal street address to you as the pick-up location. If you live at a busy intersection, it may be easier to choose a location a few houses in to make it easier for them to find and stop at. You don't always have to input an address as the app is also loaded with some notable landmarks (e.g. you can select 'airport borispil').

-You pay the driver in cash, so unfortunately unlike Uber you will need to have Hrivnas on you. I have never had issues with any driver 'not having change' as is the case in my hometown sometimes and no driver has tried to rip me off by not giving me the right amount of change. When you pay at the end of your trip, your driver will not expect a tip (e.g. they will give you back exact change). I usually round it off to the nearest 10 and they appreciate it but do not expect it.

-You can select options above and beyond their most basic taxi. For example, you can select an 'english speaking driver' and your quoted fare will reflect about a 10% premium for this. I find that 'english speaking driver' really doesn't mean anything (I've never had one that is close to fluent, and it seems that any driver can self-select to be an 'english speaking driver' even if they speak 10-20 words). I wouldn't bother paying the extra for this.

-As soon as you submit your ride and a taxi accepts, you will be given the information such as ETA, car type and license plate number. In my experience, 90% of the time the driver will call you shortly after accepting the ride. This is not at all helpful since a) I can't communicate and b) It doesn't tell me anything beyond what the app already has (since it already says the ETA and the car model). Usually the driver will say some things in Russian and I will simply say 'English...taxi...okay' because there is no need for this call to be taking place. I simply go to my pickup point at the right time and 95% of the time everything goes smoothly. Maybe these calls are more for the driver to confirm it is a real human on the other end if they are going to use up gas driving out to some address.

-Unlike Uber, because everything is cash-based, there is no cancellation fee. If you change your mind or take another mode of transport because your driver is taking too long, you can cancel in the app or simply not show up for your ride. Nothing will happen except maybe the driver calling to yell at you in Russian. I don't think it impacts your ability to order another ride at any time. In my experience the driver taking too long to show up is not a problem; they typically arrive even before the stated ETA.

-You do need a Ukrainian phone number linked to your account before you can use the app (you get a confirmation code by text) and drivers will call this number if they need to communicate with you. This makes Uklon potentially unhelpful for you if you arrive at Boryspil airport but don't want to get a SIM card yet (they do sell them at the airport, however).

-If you order Uklon from Boryspil airport, there are three places the taxi could pick you up. 1 is for them to go in the short-term parking lot which is left when you come out of arrivals. They probably won't want to do this as they must pay to use it. 2 is for them to pick you up in the inner traffic lane in front of arrivals (where the 'authorized' airport taxis and Skybus wait). They probably can't do this because they are likely not from one of the airport authority's 'authorized' taxi company that can drive right up here. They will most likely pick you up at the end of the arrivals sidewalk (come out of the terminal, turn right and walk past skybus to the end of the arrivals sidewalk). They can pull over here from the outer traffic lane, but only for a moment (airport police will bother them if they stay more than for quick loading/unloading).

When I ordered Uklon from the airport, I did select an English driver just this once because I wanted a driver with a basic command of English who could communicate where to meet him exactly. He told me to meet him at the end of the sidewalk (after turning right when coming out of arrivals) as I described. He simply circled around the airport road until he saw me in this area, as he could not sit and wait for me there. I suspect this is the normal protocol for Uklon drivers picking up their passengers, but confirm with your driver to be sure.

-You can select and pay for a higher vehicle class; I have done this, but only gotten marginally better vehicles than the basic taxi. Not worth it in most situations.

-You can add to your quoted fare (in effect, creating your own Uber-type 'surge') if you want to. This would entice drivers to take your fare if it's a time of high demand. I've never needed to do this as a driver has always quickly accepted my ride request. Your quoted fare is set when you order the taxi (it's shown in the app and calculated based on distance and time) so there is no negotiating necessary with the taxi driver at any time. You are in essence getting the 'local' fare.

The bottom line is that Uklon is very economical (typically 45 UAH or around $2 for a ride anywhere in the Kyiv city centre; in Dnipro it is only around 35 UAH for a trip in the city-centre). I am glad I didn't use this on my first trip to Kyiv, though, as using this app made me lazy. I took cabs when I could have easily walked or taken transit because the cost was so low. On my first trip I walked everywhere and learned the Metro inside and out because I didn't know about Uklon. I'm glad to have had this experience and if I had known about Uklon from the beginning, I fear I may have missed out on seeing the city in this way.

Finally, if you go to a different Ukrainian city you can also use Uklon there but it's important to remember to change the city you're in in settings. It's not like Uber where it will change it automatically based on your GPS location. I arrived in Dnipro airport and got really frustrated that I couldn't order Uklon, since Dnipro airport was not showing up as a pick-up location no matter what I did! I realized later at my apartment that I needed to change the city in settings in order for locations in Dnipro to show up as potential pick-up and drop-off locations.

The Ukraine Thread III - BangBoy123 - 06-05-2016

I used Uklon last night after arriving in Odessa, It's a great app and now they have a feature where you can track where the car is and see it chugging along the map. The biggest annoyance for me is that sometime you cannot pinpoint an address on the map, for instance last night I was at Arcadia, but push your finger anywhere on the street near the entrance and it wont register.

So you end up having to call a taxi to an address a couple of streets away, you get in the taxi and tell him you want to go to Arcadia, and he get's confused and sometimes has to call the operator to get a new fare, pain in the ass.

Uklon is slightly more expensive than calling some other taxis, but let's face it most of us don't give a damn about an extra 5 UAH

Sometimes it can be difficult to get a car, Friday and Saturday night, or when there's bad weather, so If it cannot find a ride for me, I gradually increase the "pay extra" cost, so increase from 40 to 45 uah, then maybe 50 if it finds nothing for 45

Also in Ukraine some of the blocks are very big, so 10, Bandera Street might be a huge block and he might not be waiting in exactly the right place that you are.

The Ukraine Thread III - wolfer - 06-05-2016

Hey Guys, i will be arriving monday for 3 weeks and have some general question that are for many guys interesting.
Did someone ever go to work out at the hidropark? As i looked it up its for free and its good to stay in shape without paying a lot of money. some has experience with that?
i will be staying around palace sportu and although i have a washing machine, some of my clothes i want to bring to a laundry service, anyone knows the prices and where i can find them?
Where did you get a ukrainian sim card and how much are those with internet?
i will be arriving in zhulany and how much is the costs to maidan? last time they tried to charge 450, but i found one for 250, even though it should be not more than 150. how did you find a cheap taxi? since i dont have yet a ukrainian number to call a driver.
thanks guys, and if someone wants to meet for a drink, PM me, i am from germany, but speak more or less fluent russian.
i will write after this trip a datasheet, since i have 3 weeks and try to find out the best way to find a social circle, since i want to reguarly come to kiev a few times a year

The Ukraine Thread III - Cambodian Creamsicle - 06-05-2016

I was at Gidropark yesterday. The gym is good enough. Gets the job done, weather dependant of course. The bonus is, after your workout you get to strut around the beach with a nice pump on, perving on girls in bikinis - and I've noticed thong bikinis are gaining in popularity [Image: smile.gif]

For the sim just go into to any mobile store and buy one. Phone charges are super inexpensive (like everything else) here.

For the taxi, go to the designated taxi line when you leave the airport. Don't go with one of the greasy guys that will yell at you as you come out of arrivals.

The Ukraine Thread III - samsamsam - 06-05-2016

Be well BrandoninKyiv. Thanks for the audio recordings.

The Ukraine Thread III - Troutslayer - 06-05-2016

Some guys on this thread are doing a running podcast on YouTube. Lost the link, anyone have it?

The Ukraine Thread III - samsamsam - 06-06-2016

Quote: (06-05-2016 06:22 PM)Troutslayer Wrote:  

Some guys on this thread are doing a running podcast on YouTube. Lost the link, anyone have it?

I think you are referring to 262 and NomdofEU did one. Look for262 I think he started the thread.

The Ukraine Thread III - Vinny - 06-06-2016

Quote: (06-05-2016 01:42 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

Thanks god he was finally banned. After almost a month of polluting this thread. Buying golden membership does seem to give you temporary ban immunity.

The Ukraine Thread III - samsamsam - 06-06-2016

Quote: (06-06-2016 03:35 AM)Vinny Wrote:  

Quote: (06-05-2016 01:42 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

Thanks god he was finally banned. After almost a month of polluting this thread. Buying golden membership does seem to give you temporary ban immunity.

I think he danced a tight rope - but when p4p talk started going that was the end.

The Ukraine Thread III - scrambled - 06-06-2016

Quote:Quote:

He provided no helpful data or socially valuable questions, just badly formatted material of how bad it was, and how he was invincible in bed with 10's despite that. He seemed to think this was the "bragging liars in Ukraine thread III".

The Ukraine Thread III - BangBoy123 - 06-06-2016

Some of you were feeding him, blame yourselves also [Image: smile.gif]

The Ukraine Thread III - Traktor - 06-06-2016

Quote: (06-06-2016 10:14 AM)BangBoy123 Wrote:  

Kamaki will be back in some shape or form.

The Ukraine Thread III - 262 - 06-06-2016

Quote: (06-06-2016 02:31 AM)samsamsam Wrote:  

I think you are referring to 262 and NomdofEU did one. Look for262 I think he started the thread.

Ask and ye shall receive: thread-55512.html

The Ukraine Thread III - Troutslayer - 06-07-2016

Quote: (06-06-2016 02:20 PM)262 Wrote:  

Quote: (06-06-2016 02:31 AM)samsamsam Wrote:  

Ask and ye shall receive: thread-55512.html

[Image: banana.gif][Image: banana.gif][Image: banana.gif][Image: banana.gif]
THANK YOU

The Ukraine Thread III - Cambodian Creamsicle - 06-07-2016

Lay report:

I was out for a daygame stroll last week near Schevchenko Park when I saw braless beauty with short hair bouncing towards me. I let her pass and then did the look-around to inspect the rear proportions. I almost let her walk off but I thought, fuck it, the way she was walking I knew she wanted attention.

I ran back, got slightly in front her, looked back, put my out and said, "hey excuse me, do you speak a little English?". She stopped and and said that she did. I commented that she looked really nice but not typically Ukrainian with her short hair and tattoos, meanwhile trying to keep my composure with her nipples sticking straight out towards me. She confirmed she was indeed a Ukrainian lady but was rare in her fashion sense and mentality.

The conversation was pretty flat. She never hooked that hard. She asked me where I was from but that was about it. I was forced to fill in the silences. I took her number but figured I would never see her again.

I shot her a message on Viber later that day, to which she eventually replied to, but she certainly wasn't investing that heavily. She stopped replying so I rolled off and again thought that would be the end of it. After a few days of silence I just threw a hail mary date invite to which she surprisingly accepted.

I met her at Palats Sportu near Gulliver and took her a near by cafe / restaurant (not sure what the difference is). Once again she had the bra off and her tits sticking out in all their glory. She might as well of not been wearing a shirt. We got looks from every person we passed in the street.

In the cafe we chatted and she drank some Gin and smoked which is always a good sign. She described to me her strange childhood which included not having her biological Dad around, another good sign if you want quick sex. I've noticed a lot of girls in Ukraine grew up without a father. Eventually it came out that she worked at a topless bar for a few months. Not a strip club. I guess she danced or walked around without a shirt on, who knows, she said the bar is closed now.

So to recap, short hair, tattoos, kind of a stripper, daddy issues, doesn't wear bras. Needless to say this chick was a slut. At the cafe I started gently escalating by touching her and rubbing her while staring at her tits. As she drank the gin I could tell she was getting horny. She asked, "what are we going to do next?". I took that as her wanting to leave to get fucked so I got the bill and told her my place was near by and that I wanted to show it to her. She obliged.

Within a few minutes of getting inside I had her shirt up and was sucking on those boobs that were teasing me for hours. She said, "you want to fuck me?", to which I replied "of course". She said no it's the first date, so I said ok, but proceeded to kiss and fondle her. After about 10 minutes of that she said hold on, and went to the bathroom. When she came out she was butt ass naked so I just picked her up and threw her in bed. Fucked her all over my apartment. One thing you can bank on with girls like that is that it's not going to be vanilla starfish sex. I left my windows open for the neighbors to see. I think it turned her on.

The End.

The Ukraine Thread III - Kale_anonymous - 06-08-2016

Please someone chime in about sumy and poltava. Getting boring in Kiev

Someone posted some really nice pics of a Ukrainian wife that some guy from america found in sumy but it seemed 2 good 2 be true

I know these towns are boring as fuck but boring as fuck can be good for us RVFers!

The Ukraine Thread III - Cambodian Creamsicle - 06-08-2016

You want to get out of Kiev because it's boring to go to a small boring town?

I'm thinking of Dnipro for a change of pace. I'm hearing it's better than Kharkiv.

The Ukraine Thread III - Kale_anonymous - 06-08-2016

Yes your right cambodian. As with anything, ive heard conflicting reports about dnipro. Heard some boost in foreigner status and not. Its a massive city so its not like its untapped.

Ive heard foriegner status is higher in poltava, sumy, and kherson but cannot be sure.

Its not that boring in kiev but sometimes it sure feels like it. Thinking of packing up and flying back home to midwest america for the sluts

The Ukraine Thread III - This Is Trouble - 06-09-2016

Quote: (06-08-2016 08:01 AM)Kale_anonymous Wrote:  

Yes your right cambodian. As with anything, ive heard conflicting reports about dnipro. Heard some boost in foreigner status and not. Its a massive city so its not like its untapped.

Ive heard foriegner status is higher in poltava, sumy, and kherson but cannot be sure.

Its not that boring in kiev but sometimes it sure feels like it. Thinking of packing up and flying back home to midwest america for the sluts

You could cross the border into Poland, they're plenty slutty there!

The Ukraine Thread III - wolfer - 06-09-2016

Hey guys. I m here since a few days and i m wondering where to go out?
D lux , shooters, coyote ugly or radio dance hall?
I read the last 20 pages but didnt get any smarter also where is the best place to go on a Thursday?
I speak fluent russian so even not english speaking partys would be ok

The Ukraine Thread III - superschalk - 06-09-2016

Hey Wolfer

I would try Coyote Ugly or Sorry Babushka for a Thursday. But only go late maybe 11.30pm or even later. Both places can be a hit or miss on Thursday. If you get lucky at Coyote Ugly you can hit a birthday party with 8-10 hot girls dancing on the bar or it can be pretty dead. Other option might be to try Caribbean. But again all three places can be hit or miss on Thursday.

Problem with Kiev especially since Euromaidan is that nightlife is pretty much dead in most places during the week.

The Ukraine Thread III - Rocha - 06-09-2016

Quote: (06-09-2016 11:45 AM)superschalk Wrote:  

Hey Wolfer

I would try Coyote Ugly or Sorry Babushka for a Thursday. But only go late maybe 11.30pm or even later. Both places can be a hit or miss on Thursday. If you get lucky at Coyote Ugly you can hit a birthday party with 8-10 hot girls dancing on the bar or it can be pretty dead. Other option might be to try Caribbean. But again all three places can be hit or miss on Thursday.

Problem with Kiev especially since Euromaidan is that nightlife is pretty much dead in most places during the week.

I agree with this, a guy really has to dig to find a decent venue on a week night in Kiev nowadays. I like a lot JUST café, it is a russkoe/khavkaz karaoke place, rich people, some fights once in a while, great quality of girls and expensive for Kiev. Because of this I understand that most of the westerners that I took there did not liked the place, only the ones familiar with this kind of venue liked it.

The Ukraine Thread III - BangBoy123 - 06-09-2016

Quote: (06-06-2016 02:15 PM)Traktor Wrote:  

Quote: (06-06-2016 10:14 AM)BangBoy123 Wrote:  

Kamaki will be back in some shape or form.

The guy was unique, not sure he could get past one paragraph without being rumbled.

Quote: (06-09-2016 11:45 AM)superschalk Wrote:  

Hey Wolfer

Not sure I can recommend any of those options. I've been to Coyote Ugly a couple of times, albeit it midweek, and it didn't leave me with a good impression. An average girl dancing on the bar trying to get you to buy drinks doesn't interest me. Also I found the place to be pretty low class, plenty of Gopniki hanging around outside.

Sorry Babushka can be ok sometimes, out of the 20 times ive probably been there I have got laid 3 times - you can be lucky and walk right in and there's two drunk young students that haven't been swooped yet, although that can happen anywhere. There are a lot of older women there, but most of them come with guys. Half of the club seems to be outside at any one time, you can just hang around outside if you're in the area and save yourself the entry fee.

Caribbean is frequented by old Johns, prostitutes, black guys do well there. The wall outside is the best place to isolate, since they are all sluts they will be sure to go outside at least every 15 minutes for a smoke. I do not recommend this place for young guys.

Best clubs in Kiev are, Dlux, Famous, SkyBar, TheBar(bar), Disco Radio Hall, and a couple of secret spots I could only share with my closest buds [Image: wink.gif]

Definitely Kiev nightlife has died off in recent years, people don't have the disposable incomes they used to. If the nightlife is tied to the strength of the Hryvnia, then I can't see it improving anytime soon

The Ukraine Thread III - WeekendCasanova - 06-10-2016

Quote: (06-09-2016 03:59 PM)BangBoy123 Wrote:  

Best clubs in Kiev are, Dlux, Famous, SkyBar, TheBar(bar), Disco Radio Hall, and a couple of secret spots I could only share with my closest buds [Image: wink.gif]

I was in Kiev for a month during February, so maybe my experience was seasonal more than anything, however, SkyBar was a turkish watering hole when I was there. It was stocked with professionals. TheBar was also pretty bad. I liked the vibe, but it was dead virtually every single time I was there.

The Ukraine Thread III - BangBoy123 - 06-11-2016

Quote: (06-10-2016 08:03 PM)WeekendCasanova Wrote:  

Quote: (06-09-2016 03:59 PM)BangBoy123 Wrote:  

I was in Kiev for a month during February, so maybe my experience was seasonal more than anything, however, SkyBar was a turkish watering hole when I was there. It was stocked with professionals. TheBar was also pretty bad. I liked the vibe, but it was dead virtually every single time I was there.

I went to Skybar only a couple of times, I don't like the lay out inside, and too many tables as usual. But one of the times I got success there.

The Turks are are a nuisance, though they spend a lot of money in the clubs and usually end the night with their dicks in their hands.

TheBar is a definitely one of the best places at the weekend, good thing is that it's Western style - there are few tables, so much easier to mingle. It's good to strike while the iron is hot, open some chicks as soon as you come in before the eye contact starts to wain.