Roosh V Forum
The Los Angeles thread - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Travel (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: The Los Angeles thread (/thread-16165.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

The Los Angeles thread - booshala - 03-28-2013

I'm pretty sure I only need three guesses to know the venue that thedude is talking about. Glad that you tried something outside of your comfort zone. Iota is a great place to find cute girls as well as Caffe Bene on Western, Heyri off of 8th St and Haus on 6th. Like thedude, it's best to roll with at least one Korean speaker if possible.

That "membership club" line was just a nice way of saying that they're a hostess bar aka room salon. I used to go for business once or twice a month and I've never encountered a membership fee, but that shit is always $4-$500 per person after drinks and company...

The Los Angeles thread - Pacific - 03-28-2013

Hmm, since I've been to all 4 you mentioned, I'm guessing I probably have been to this place at least once already. Looks like I just need to actual open some girls.

The Los Angeles thread - Drazen - 03-28-2013

yeah, I've done those booking clubs before, but way back in college. thought it was weird...but its the culture I guess. and we did get wasted and it was fun.

I don't know if its just me, but Korean girl circles in LA seem the hardest to break into since they are in HUGE groups when they go out with a lot of korean dudes protecting them. Just seemed that way when I have been to Korean-leaning venues, very protective, very closed off.

The Los Angeles thread - azulsombra - 03-28-2013

Quote: (03-27-2013 01:00 PM)The Texas Prophet Wrote:  

Quote: (03-25-2013 04:46 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

I couldn't have put it better than slubu. He killed it there. Alright we can all pretty much agree that LA sucks except for the weather and Mexican food. So what's a good alternative?

Flyover country has no appeal to me. Florida is redneck outside Miami Beach. NYC may be dope but I can't afford it. Vegas? Other than clubs the city is a shit hole. Ever drive off the strip during the day to look around? You ain't missing much.

There are just a lack of attractive cities in this country.

It depends on what you like.

There are plenty of large American cities that have decent nightlife and lots of stuff to do:

Chicago, IL
Atlanta, GA
Miami, FL
New York, NY
Dallas, TX
Las Vegas, NV
San Francisco, CA

There also several smaller cities that are cool and have decent nightlife:

Tampa, FL
Austin, TX
Scottsdale, AZ
Charleston, SC
New Orleans, LA
Charlotte, NC
Boston, MA

^Some of the cities listed above even have a cheaper cost-of-living than Los Angeles, so living in these cities would allow you to save money for trips overseas. I agree with MikeCF that LA is no longer worth it from a cost-to-benefit standpoint. Also, I agree with Slubu that I would only move back to LA if I worked in the entertainment industry. Otherwise, I don't see the benefit of living in LA. More power to people who love LA, but I don't see it. Good weather and decent ethnic food isn't enough of a reason for me to stay in a city.

Of the 14 cities listed many have horrible sprawl/bad logistics (phoenix, dallas, atlanta) so leaving LA due to the car culture would be counterproductive. Boston and Chicago have terrible weather about 50% of the year and the excessive crime rate in New Orleans make it unattractive as a permanent base.

What's left: New York (If you can afford Manhattan), Miami, Las Vegas, Tampa, San Fran

and perhaps Austin, Charleston and Charlotte. That leaves only about six decent nightlife cities (small and large) to run game in the whole US, and only NY, Miami or Vegas could seriously be considered as LA alternatives.

I'm not too familiar with the carolinas, what's the appeal there? Talent? Last call hours?

The Los Angeles thread - thegmanifesto - 03-28-2013

Quote: (03-27-2013 10:30 PM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

That's just crazy. You know, I never thought about it like that before. I take it for granted since I've lived here for so long, but this place must be impossible for players coming in "cold".

Yeah, LA is probably the most difficult city followed by Orange County and San Diego.

There are so many "foundational" hurdles that one has no say in the matter (ie logistics, driving, sh*tty nightlife, necessity of hook ups to even operate, "tribal" social nature, early last call, ratios, high competition levels, tough doors, expensive, ripoff etc).

Not to mention, if you are visiting LA and you say you are anywhere other than NYC or Miami, people will dismiss you.

Hell, NYC or Miami isn't even really an advantage, probably just a neutral. So if you are saying you are from DC, people will just dismiss you as some nerd. Anywhere else, people won't even know where you are talking about or even care.

If you go to LA and say you are from Toronto, girls will probably just think you are "one of those Eskimo people", and that is if it didn't go one ear and out the other.

Think about it:

Any other city is easy for a "cold" player. New Orleans? Easy. Las Vegas? Super easy. NYC? Easy. Miami? Relatively easy. SF easy. Chicago? Easy. etc etc etc

Hell, even DC and Toronto are easy to figure out for a "cold" player.

DC and Toronto have zero competition, good logistics, easy doors etc. etc.

No other city has all the "foundational" hurdles of LA or Southern California cities.

No where even comes close.

Quote: (03-28-2013 02:16 AM)azulsombra Wrote:  

and perhaps Austin, Charleston and Charlotte. That leaves only about six decent nightlife cities (small and large) to run game in the whole US, and only NY, Miami or Vegas could seriously be considered as LA alternatives.

He forgot New Orleans (like everyone on this forum does).

Also, he forgot San Diego (which is more manageable than LA, although has many of the same disadvantages.)

For some reason, those two cities are always forgotten about on this forum.

The Los Angeles thread - azulsombra - 03-28-2013

G,

New orleans has appeal no doubt, but as a place for short trips, vacays. Cant really put it in the same weight class as those other cities from a year round standpoint, unless your only using nightlife as a criteria.

And San diego?

You yourself have ripped san diego apart on numerous fronts, so im extremely surprised your defending it now.

Unless your just determined to turn this into a LA sucks thread. Which i am fine with by the way, i actually find it amusing. But san diego is an even easier target to skewer and the excess sausage from the six or more military installations in the sd area dont help things.

Quote: (03-28-2013 09:30 AM)azulsombra Wrote:  

G,

New orleans has appeal no doubt, but as a place for short trips, vacays. Cant really put it in the same weight class as those other cities from a year round standpoint, unless your only using nightlife as a criteria.

Personally, I would live in New Orleans over LA at this point in my life. I would be using nightlife, people, food, fun, culture and uniqueness as my criteria.

I would probably avoid summer there.

Quote:Quote:

And San diego?

You yourself have ripped san diego apart on numerous fronts, so im extremely surprised your defending it now.

I did say this earlier:

Yeah, LA is probably the most difficult city followed by Orange County and San Diego

And I was referring to San Diego as being easier than LA for a "cold" player coming to the city.

I stand by that.

But yeah, San Diego has many of the same problems of LA, and then some. And lacks many of the advantages ie legitimately fly girls.

Unless your just determined to turn this into a LA sucks thread. Which i am fine with by the way, i actually find it amusing.

Me too.

LA is fun to diss.

Because it is so un-defendable when you know how to diss it.

I am waiting for the "rock climbing defense" to come up again.

The Los Angeles thread - speakeasy - 03-28-2013

Quote: (03-28-2013 07:13 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Quote: (03-27-2013 10:30 PM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

That's just crazy. You know, I never thought about it like that before. I take it for granted since I've lived here for so long, but this place must be impossible for players coming in "cold".

Yeah, LA is probably the most difficult city followed by Orange County and San Diego.

There are so many "foundational" hurdles that one has no say in the matter (ie logistics, driving, sh*tty nightlife, necessity of hook ups to even operate, "tribal" social nature, early last call, ratios, high competition levels, tough doors, expensive, ripoff etc).

Not to mention, if you are visiting LA and you say you are anywhere other than NYC or Miami, people will dismiss you.

Hell, NYC or Miami isn't even really an advantage, probably just a neutral. So if you are saying you are from DC, people will just dismiss you as some nerd. Anywhere else, people won't even know where you are talking about or even care.

If you go to LA and say you are from Toronto, girls will probably just think you are "one of those Eskimo people", and that is if it didn't go one ear and out the other.

Think about it:

Any other city is easy for a "cold" player. New Orleans? Easy. Las Vegas? Super easy. NYC? Easy. Miami? Relatively easy. SF easy. Chicago? Easy. etc etc etc

Hell, even DC and Toronto are easy to figure out for a "cold" player.

DC and Toronto have zero competition, good logistics, easy doors etc. etc.

No other city has all the "foundational" hurdles of LA or Southern California cities.

No where even comes close.

Quote: (03-28-2013 02:16 AM)azulsombra Wrote:  

He forgot New Orleans (like everyone on this forum does).

Also, he forgot San Diego (which is more manageable than LA, although has many of the same disadvantages.)

For some reason, those two cities are always forgotten about on this forum.

100% truth, and I'm a life-long Angelino. G killed it on this post.

The Los Angeles thread - Kish - 03-28-2013

Why is LA a sausagefest?

Considering the weather and the lifestyle i'd assume the opposite.

What gives?

Is LA full of dude heavy careers like in DC?

The Los Angeles thread - iknowexactly - 03-28-2013

Quote: (03-28-2013 03:07 PM)rakishness Wrote:  

Why is LA a sausagefest?

What gives?

As a micro-budget movie maker, I can attest that most of the technical people who make movies are guys.

I speculate that this is counterbalanced to some degree by the fact women, especially hot women, VASTLY prefer big city living to small town living, and move to LA in droves.

It's like being a talented artist, if you're a hot chick you have more chance of "getting what you're worth" in a big city simply because there are more rich people who can afford something spiffy. In a small town you marry the guy with the successful car repair place.

As usual, women want the attention whore slots, acting.
The thing is that there are so many sluts who want to be actresses that it sort of balances out.

Also makeup, wardrobe, and set decorators might be mostly women/gay men who are noncompetition. There's a lot of various kinds of artists ( animation etc) who are cool chicks however I believe.

All the shit that's hard to learn or takes serious innate talent (editing, DOP, special FX programming, screenwriting) or takes strong assertiveness (directing, producing) or mechanical/computer aptitude ( camera ops, AC's, DIT's, electricians) are predominantly men.

( Although Mo, the most famous editor in Hollywood was a woman. (Editing can be tedious and repetitive which women can tolerate well)

An exception is producers who weasel money to make stuff, that is a good slot for women.

All this can be verified by looking at the credits in various films/shows.

Anyone who wants a roommate in LA PM me, I want to move there. I don't smoke, wash my dishes, don't have pets, and can keep quiet at night.

Quote: (03-28-2013 03:07 PM)rakishness Wrote:  

Why is LA a sausagefest?

What gives?

Good question.

Unfortunately, that is a reason for guys moving there as much as girls moving there.

I have a theory on this that I have mentioned on the forum before:

Los Angeles has historically been marketed as a "guys paradise".

IE Playboy Mansion, Hollywood casting couch, P0rn, the beach, bikinis, driving culture, easily manipulated actresses, fast cars etc.

The reality is a little different though for 99% of the guys there.

However, this causes a higher number of guys to move there "chasing the dream".

It is no coincidence in my mind that the "guys fantasy show" Entourage on HBO was set in Los Angeles.

Art imitates life and life imitates art.

This has also caused more guys to move there.

It is a vicious cycle (And I don't mean that Swedish player that posts on here either).

(And as an aside, the "girls fantasy show" Sexy and The City on HBO was set in New York, and NYC has way more girls than guys.).

The Los Angeles thread - kenny_powers - 03-28-2013

This is a great thread. We have broken down LA from the East Coast cities. How do you guys stack rank only West Coast Cities?
LA, SF, STL, POR? Is Vegas the best city west of the Mississippi? Is LA the worst? What I really want to know is - Weather, ethnic food and rock climbing aside. Is LA worse than DC? If DC = suicide does LA make you want to take your own life also?

The Los Angeles thread - speakeasy - 03-28-2013

Quote: (03-28-2013 04:49 PM)kenny_powers Wrote:  

This is a great thread. We have broken down LA from the East Coast cities. How do you guys stack rank only West Coast Cities?
LA, SF, STL, POR? Is Vegas the best city west of the Mississippi? Is LA the worst? What I really want to know is - Weather, ethnic food and rock climbing aside. Is LA worse than DC? If DC = suicide does LA make you want to take your own life also?

Vegas is a hell hole. It's the place you go to party for 2 days but feel sorry for anyone that actually lives there. There's no more bleak, depressing scene than driving around Vegas off the strip in the middle of summer when it's 116 degrees out.

I've not been to Portland but everyone that goes there seems to absolutely love the place. Of course these are usually white hipster types and if you are into things like microbrews, hiking, dive bars and indie bands and don't mind the SWPL environment, it may be a good place. From everything I've heard the girls suck. Seattle seems like just a bigger Portland with more ethnic diversity.

SF is may be the only true city in California. LA, OC, SD, San Jose are sprawl. LA is cool overall, but as I've said before, I've yet to meet a dude who came here from somewhere else that said LA is easier(with regards to women). That said, there's more to life than chasing skirts, and hopefully you're well-rounded enough to have other pursuits in life you enjoy. Some of my friends are surfers and head out every day. Quite a few are into music and jam around town. You get together with friends to try out new restaurants, you go jog Runyon Canyon or check out summer concerts at the Hollywood Bowl. There's still a lot here to do and you can't really get bored easily in L.A.

The Los Angeles thread - Tex Pro - 03-28-2013

Quote: (03-28-2013 04:18 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

IE Playboy Mansion, Hollywood casting couch, P0rn, the beach, bikinis, driving culture, easily manipulated actresses, fast cars etc.

It is no coincidence in my mind that the "guys fantasy show" Entourage on HBO was set in Los Angeles.

^This is a good point. I think this is why this thread is so important: it pops the bubble that LA is a "poosy paradise" for guys. The reality, like you said, is that for most guys LA is anything but a "poosy paradise." There are some things that are good about LA, like the weather, ethnic food, entertainment options, lifestyle, but LA is not a "poosy paradise" for most guys and that is what matters. LA is currently oversold to guys around the country by the media/Hollywood/TV, so it is very important to set the record straight.

The Los Angeles thread - Drazen - 03-28-2013

Quote: (03-28-2013 05:05 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

Quote: (03-28-2013 04:49 PM)kenny_powers Wrote:  

Vegas is a hell hole. It's the place you go to party for 2 days but feel sorry for anyone that actually lives there. There's no more bleak, depressing scene than driving around Vegas off the strip in the middle of summer when it's 116 degrees out.

I've not been to Portland but everyone that goes there seems to absolutely love the place. Of course these are usually white hipster types and if you are into things like microbrews, hiking, dive bars and indie bands and don't mind the SWPL environment, it may be a good place. From everything I've heard the girls suck. Seattle seems like just a bigger Portland with more ethnic diversity.

SF is may be the only true city in California. LA, OC, SD, San Jose are sprawl. LA is cool overall, but as I've said before, I've yet to meet a dude who came here from somewhere else that said LA is easier(with regards to women). That said, there's more to life than chasing skirts, and hopefully you're well-rounded enough to have other pursuits in life you enjoy. Some of my friends are surfers and head out every day. Quite a few are into music and jam around town. You get together with friends to try out new restaurants, you go jog Runyon Canyon or check out summer concerts at the Hollywood Bowl. There's still a lot here to do and you can't really get bored easily in L.A.

Portland is cool. The main problem is you run into the SAME people every time whenever you go out. Everyone seems to know everyone. Really limited number of places you can go as far as nightlife is concerned.

Not into Seattle. Not sure why, just not. I've been there alot.

Vancouver is probably my favorite city on the West Coast, all things considered.

The Los Angeles thread - Veloce - 03-28-2013

G, you're spitting some gospel on these posts.

I really really really want to disagree with you. It pains me to hear this shit about the city I live in.

But I can't. It's all true.

BooshalaL you sound like you've got K-town locked down well. Turns out it was Heyri.

PartyonBro: it sounds like what you experienced with Korean girls is their social circles at club/bar venues. At the coffee houses we went to, there were a lot of Korean girls in groups of 2,3,4, with no guys present.

The Los Angeles thread - IntlGamer - 03-28-2013

The surrounding areas like San Diego, Orange County, Riverside are good to be single in.

You can go to those areas cold and pick up if you go to the right spots.

The girls in these surrounding suburbs are hot compared to most of the country, the only difference with LA is that they don't dress as fashionable. But face and body-wise they are still as hot, especially in SD and OC. Overall girls are more receptive and you don't need to be a movie producer to pull. People who move to LA just get caught up in the "scene."

For all of you who are from abroad: the vision you have in your head of the beach, surfing, blonde bikini babes...that's not very common in LA, that's in San Diego, Orange County, and Santa Barbara. Go to those places if that's what you are looking for.

The Los Angeles thread - durangotang - 03-28-2013

Quote: (03-28-2013 06:06 PM)IntlGamer Wrote:  

The surrounding areas like San Diego, Orange County, Riverside are good to be single in.

I sense an epic G on Orange County rant coming up... [Image: confused.gif]

The Los Angeles thread - StudebacherHoch - 03-28-2013

Quote: (03-28-2013 05:44 PM)The Texas Prophet Wrote:  

Quote: (03-28-2013 04:18 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

^This is a good point. I think this is why this thread is so important: it pops the bubble that LA is a "poosy paradise" for guys. The reality, like you said, is that for most guys LA is anything but a "poosy paradise." There are some things that are good about LA, like the weather, ethnic food, entertainment options, lifestyle, but LA is not a "poosy paradise" for most guys and that is what matters. LA is currently oversold to guys around the country by the media/Hollywood/TV, so it is very important to set the record straight.

You guys are nailing it - having lived here for 57 years, I've seen LA most definitely change for the worse over the decades, particularly in the mindset of women!

The Los Angeles thread - iknowexactly - 03-28-2013

Quote: (03-28-2013 06:16 PM)StudebacherHoch Wrote:  

You guys are nailing it - having lived here for 57 years, I've seen LA most definitely change for the worse over the decades, particularly in the mindset of women!

Can you break it down more, is the percentages worse; what's gone wrong with their attitudes/behavior....

The Los Angeles thread - MikeCF - 03-28-2013

That's a tourist misconception.

Most of the locals live in Summerlin or Green Valley.

Go lift weights or to a BJJ gym or boxing gym. You'll meet the people who work the doors and build your connections.

Then you're skipping lines even at places like XS.

As you make more relationships, you'll always know someone who has a comped table (or you will have your own comped table).

Promoters love locals - especially outgoing, friendly locals - because they know that locals will steer their friends their way when friends come into town. First person everyone from out of town hits up in Vegas is a local.

A local ID gets you in free into a lot of places, including the Spearmint Rhino.

Most girls at the Rhino are visiting form out of town. Many (most?) don't even get hotels. They meet local guys and stay with them in "mini-relationships" for 2-3 days.

So if you're living outside of the Strip, you have the best of all worlds. You have access to 24/7 night life. You can swoop a farmer's daughter any day of the week. Rents are low. The food is amazing. The cocktail girls and waitresses and hostesses that everyone drools over are "locals," and now you're a local, too. You'll be invited to house parties and industry nights.

When you just want to chill, you are away from everything. When you want to party, there is it.

It's hard to find work. If you have your own revenue stream, Vegas is an awesome place to live.

Quote: (03-28-2013 06:22 PM)MikeCF Wrote:  

That's a tourist misconception.

Most of the locals live in Summerlin or Green Valley.

Go lift weights or to a BJJ gym or boxing gym. You'll meet the people who work the doors and build your connections.

Then you're skipping lines even at places like XS.

As you make more relationships, you'll always know someone who has a comped table (or you will have your own comped table).

Promoters love locals - especially outgoing, friendly locals - because they know that locals will steer their friends their way when friends come into town. First person everyone from out of town hits up in Vegas is a local.

A local ID gets you in free into a lot of places, including the Spearmint Rhino.

Most girls at the Rhino are visiting form out of town. Many (most?) don't even get hotels. They meet local guys and stay with them in "mini-relationships" for 2-3 days.

So if you're living outside of the Strip, you have the best of all worlds. You have access to 24/7 night life. You can swoop a farmer's daughter any day of the week. Rents are low. The food is amazing. The cocktail girls and waitresses and hostesses that everyone drools over are "locals," and now you're a local, too. You'll be invited to house parties and industry nights.

When you just want to chill, you are away from everything. When you want to party, there is it.

It's hard to find work. If you have your own revenue stream, Vegas is an awesome place to live.

Very true.

Bouncers ask me all the time if I live in Las Vegas. I always say "yes" and lock them down. Being a local (or a fake local like me) does have it's privileges. I like how they have that "locals" vibe there. I wish more cities did that. That being said, a lot of the Vegas transplants are real scumbags in my opinion, so you have to be careful. I do have some good friends that live there though.

Vegas is cool like that, it is a real "small town" when you get to know the people there. This is good. Easy to lock down. And you get a constant influx of fresh girls. Best of both worlds.

I have never "lived" in Las Vegas, although a month there in Veer is something I may consider.

You could do some real damage in a month.

The Los Angeles thread - Pacific - 03-28-2013

Sounds like if you can do some work remotely, it would be great to take a little "sabbatical" in Vegas. I'll definitely keep that in mind for the future.

Edit: Forgot a point. Say if you are only going to be there for a month or two and you rent a place. Will you be considered a local by the locals?

The Los Angeles thread - MikeCF - 03-28-2013

Quote: (03-28-2013 07:59 PM)Pacific Wrote:  

Sounds like if you can do some work remotely, it would be great to take a little "sabbatical" in Vegas. I'll definitely keep that in mind for the future.

Edit: Forgot a point. Say if you are only going to be there for a month or two and you rent a place. Will you be considered a local by the locals?

You need to get a local ID from the DMV.

Quote: (03-28-2013 08:05 PM)MikeCF Wrote:  

Quote: (03-28-2013 07:59 PM)Pacific Wrote:  

You need to get a local ID from the DMV.

Or just hustle it.

Tell the guy where you are living and you just moved there.