Roosh V Forum
I need a rundown on the Philippines - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Travel (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: I need a rundown on the Philippines (/thread-595.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

I need a rundown on the Philippines - clr - 08-21-2010

ok thats it, I will be heading out there in 3 weeks ( I have a 9-11 bbq to make in NYC) then Phillipines. Anyone else going to be around during this time? Rent a pimp as penthouse/mansion, whatever... I am pretty open to length of time, tho if it heads into sept 29th, thats my b day and it will get ugly!

Im thinking, scuba diving, maybe some martial arts classes, some knife fighting, some tagalong courses for fun, sightseeing and open to anything else. flying into manila but I dont need to stay there.

I need a rundown on the Philippines - zanetti - 08-22-2010

good luck!

phillies sounds awesome - can't wait to check it out myself

is there any consensus yet on what the best place in the philippines is to visit? from what i heard manila is a bit of shithole

I need a rundown on the Philippines - OSL - 08-22-2010

funny you mentioned knife fighting, I have been thinking of going to train in eskrima in the Philippines, the same way I went to thailand for muay thai.

If you don't know what eskrima is, here is an episode of history channel's "human weapon" about eskrima:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mNnXfwHrzU

I need a rundown on the Philippines - OGNorCal707 - 08-22-2010

Are eskrima and Kali the same thing? I tried to wikipedia it, but didn't really get much info. There is a Kali class offered once a week at my MMA gym, it sounds cool, but I'm less into "stick fighting", and more into practical street fighting self-defense methods (Muay Thai).

I need a rundown on the Philippines - mangadooza - 08-22-2010

Quote: (08-22-2010 05:26 AM)youngmobileglobal Wrote:  

funny you mentioned knife fighting, I have been thinking of going to train in eskrima in the Philippines, the same way I went to thailand for muay thai.

If you don't know what eskrima is, here is an episode of history channel's "human weapon" about eskrima:

Pretty cool how you combine your interest in martial arts, girls, and business when you travel, rather than focusing on a single component.

Your thoughts on Krav Maga as a pragmatic self-defense martial art? I'm not sure about its strength relative to the other schools. Thought about hitting up Israel to train in it.

I need a rundown on the Philippines - naughtynomad - 08-22-2010

CLR: I strongly recommend you go to BORACAY!!!

I just finished my [Image: heart.gif] Boracay Island Report [Image: heart.gif] if anyone wants to check it out.

I put up a nice video on it with a Bikini contest in Cocomangas, the local disco [Image: wink.gif]
I also have a Manila report up to.

I need a rundown on the Philippines - Lumiere - 08-22-2010

Funny, I know that first chick in the video with the false tits. She is one of the local hookers. She works either the beach front bar (cant remember the name) or cocomangas most nights.

She was throwing herself at me one night at the beach front bar. Conversation was quite funny. Forgive the lack of re-enactment with bears but it went something like this :

Her : You want to go with me?

Me : That depends.

Her : On what.

Me : On why you want to go with me. You see, I only go with girls who like me.

Her : I like you.

Me : Oh, so you don't want money then?

Her : I need money too.

Me : Well, that means you don't like me then. Sorry, I only go with girls that like me.

(Ugly German guy with a sex tourist vibe who had been eyeing her up approaches. He is practically drooling)

Herman The German (to me) : Is she taken or is she free?

Me : (awkward pause) Errrrrm, I think I will let her answer that.

Her : (grabs my arm and says to Herman) I am with my friend sorry.

(Herman wanders off leaving a trail of disappointed drool behind him)

Me : Why don't you go with him? I don't pay for sex but I think he is stupid and desperate enough to pay to have sex with you.

Her : (whiny voice) But I don't like hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiim

Me : (awkward pause) I think you should go with that guy.

I need a rundown on the Philippines - hydrogonian - 08-22-2010

I can't imagine what getting turned down by a hooker does to an average german sex tourists self confidence.

I need a rundown on the Philippines - Lumiere - 08-22-2010

From the way herman reacted, i dont think it was the first time

I need a rundown on the Philippines - OSL - 08-22-2010

Quote: (08-22-2010 06:07 PM)mangadooza Wrote:  

Pretty cool how you combine your interest in martial arts, girls, and business when you travel, rather than focusing on a single component.

Your thoughts on Krav Maga as a pragmatic self-defense martial art? I'm not sure about its strength relative to the other schools. Thought about hitting up Israel to train in it.

If there were krav maga boot camps in israel I would do it. So far I have not found one though.

I think Krav Maga is probably the best overall self defense system as it takes into account weapons training and trains you to be psychologically prepared for the situations. It also prepares you to improvise and use stuff in your environment like bricks and small animals.

LOL @ Lumiere

I need a rundown on the Philippines - zanetti - 08-23-2010

Quote: (08-22-2010 07:18 PM)Lumiere Wrote:  

(Ugly German guy with a sex tourist vibe who had been eyeing her up approaches. He is practically drooling)

Herman The German (to me) : Is she taken or is she free?

Me : (awkward pause) Errrrrm, I think I will let her answer that.

Her : (grabs my arm and says to Herman) I am with my friend sorry.

(Herman wanders off leaving a trail of disappointed drool behind him)

Me : Why don't you go with him? I don't pay for sex but I think he is stupid and desperate enough to pay to have sex with you.

Her : (whiny voice) But I don't like hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiim

Me : (awkward pause) I think you should go with that guy.

this is hilarious! one of the funniest things ever

i havent been to Philly but from my experience in CEE it's quite common for pro's to be picky about who they go home with

Naughtynomad, your report on this place rocks! i'll def check it out when i go over there next year

just watched the video - those boobies are so big she looks like she's gonna fall over [Image: smile.gif] are there many girls with implants there?? i saw a few when i was in thailand

I need a rundown on the Philippines - Lumiere - 08-23-2010

Quote: (08-23-2010 03:31 AM)zanetti Wrote:  

this is hilarious! one of the funniest things ever

i havent been to Philly but from my experience in CEE it's quite common for pro's to be picky about who they go home with

actually it is not

semi pros however ...

Quote: (08-23-2010 03:31 AM)zanetti Wrote:  

just watched the video - those boobies are so big she looks like she's gonna fall over [Image: smile.gif] are there many girls with implants there?? i saw a few when i was in thailand

no. its not common

I need a rundown on the Philippines - clr - 08-23-2010

Yeah I really like the style of knife fight there, and escrima is great, I have been doing martial arts for about 18 years now, but am getting fat since retirement [Image: smile.gif] what can be better then hot girls, getting better at fighting, awesome scenery and doing it all on the cheap!?!? [Image: smile.gif]

I need a rundown on the Philippines - exe - 08-23-2010

hey bud, i've been studying escrima since the early 90s and i've seen that episode. it's ok. it doesn't really show escrima techniques that well, even the actual fighting with the marines. if you do decide to train, Cebu is the place. go to Cacoy Canete's school. He's the man. He's fought over 100 no rules escrima matches. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciriaco_Ca%C3%B1ete

Quote: (08-22-2010 02:25 PM)OGNorCal707 Wrote:  

Are eskrima and Kali the same thing?

No. Escrima is the real deal, Kali is marketing bs. One guy spent years researching the origin of the word Kali and found no such Filipino fighting 'mother art'

Quote: (08-23-2010 10:18 AM)clr Wrote:  

Yeah I really like the style of knife fight there, and escrima is great, I have been doing martial arts for about 18 years now, but am getting fat since retirement [Image: smile.gif] what can be better then hot girls, getting better at fighting, awesome scenery and doing it all on the cheap!?!? [Image: smile.gif]

one of the best - if not the best - place to train in escrima is Cacoy Canete's school in Cebu. You'd have to ask specifically for knife fighting as they'll most probably go into sticks first. As for diving, Palawan and Boracay should fit the bill, though if you're in Cebu check out the backside of Mactan. There's a deep trench there where I did a wall dive to 125 ft (thankfully no nitrogen narcosis!) and occasional whale shark sightings.

I truly like KM. It's straightforward and mostly practical. The next art I'm going to train in. However, it's like outer game routine stacks. It's still good to internalize and truly learn a weapons fighting system like the Filipino martial arts which teaches concepts like strike angles, block/parry/counterstrike moves, footwork, multiple attacker scenarios, etc. The strike angles is a great concept - I can use many types of weapons with it. I studied escrima for many years and hated the stick fighting part of it but loved the knife fighting part since I can easily carry a knife but carrying around an escrima rattan stick is not practical. But having internalized the strike angles concept, whenever I feel I'm in a situation that's going to escalate, I start looking around for a weapon: a tree branch, breaking off a leg of a chair, a bottle, etc. The strike angles (and blocks if the other guy has a weapon) will be almost similar.

I need a rundown on the Philippines - OSL - 08-23-2010

Quote: (08-23-2010 02:30 PM)exe Wrote:  

I truly like KM. It's straightforward and mostly practical. The next art I'm going to train in. However, it's like outer game routine stacks. It's still good to internalize and truly learn a weapons fighting system like the Filipino martial arts which teaches concepts like strike angles, block/parry/counterstrike moves, footwork, multiple attacker scenarios, etc. The strike angles is a great concept - I can use many types of weapons with it. I studied escrima for many years and hated the stick fighting part of it but loved the knife fighting part since I can easily carry a knife but carrying around an escrima rattan stick is not practical. But having internalized the strike angles concept, whenever I feel I'm in a situation that's going to escalate, I start looking around for a weapon: a tree branch, breaking off a leg of a chair, a bottle, etc. The strike angles (and blocks if the other guy has a weapon) will be almost similar.

Mastering knife fighting is fuckin badass.

Do you think my experience with fencing will help with eskrima and knife fighting?

Quote: (08-23-2010 03:20 PM)youngmobileglobal Wrote:  

Quote: (08-23-2010 02:30 PM)exe Wrote:  

Mastering knife fighting is fuckin badass.

Do you think my experience with fencing will help with eskrima and knife fighting?

There is very little overlap. I am not a fencer but modern fencing as I see it is mostly thrusting to 'touch' the other guy. In escrima and filipino knife fighting there's a lot of slashing, blocking/checking/parrying with your other hand, disarms (agaws) with your other hand as well as your primary weapon, locks, submissions, side jabs, different ways to hold a knife, fighting someone who has a knife while you're not armed, etc. The one thing I like about fencing is the technique of blocking/checking the opponent's blade while stabbing simultaneously. Also, with the footwork it's mostly forward/backward. In escrima and FMA there's triangular and circular footwork. Triangular footwork is actually a main concept and any good training should involve getting attacked with a stick or knife while using only footwork and body angling to avoid getting hit.

I need a rundown on the Philippines - thekiller - 08-24-2010

I'm less into "stick fighting", and more into practical street fighting self-defense methods (Muay Thai).

Don't sell escrima short..it is HIGHLY practical. It teaches UNIVERSAL lines of attack and defense applicable to any weapon. If you get good with sticks you'll be good with swords, machetes, baseball bats, car antennas, branches, knives, your hands, and one of the best weapons you can take with you anywhere, even an airplane, a TIGHTLY rolled magazine.

Double handed stick-work requires you to be highly agile on your feet and teaches you a high level of coordination.

As for the person saying they'd rather learn the knife fighting, IT IS the knife fighting, it's easier to learn the angles with sticks, plus it trains your forearms and joints. The movements just get tighter the shorter the weapon, but the angles are the same.

You also learn some handy bits like if you have to take a blow from an impact object, get in close and try to take the contact close to the hand of the person wielding it, less force there. If your surprised by a knife slash and put an arm out, try to take the cut on the back of the arm, to protect the arteries on the inside arm. Conversely, if it's an impact weapon if you cant dodge it use your inner forearms to block to protect your bones.

I need a rundown on the Philippines - hydrogonian - 08-26-2010

damn, that sounds like some good stuff to know.

Although, I suggest that you google "stab wound" or "knife wound" in google images before you have any inclination to get into a real knife fight though... I would run in the opposite direction, fast, before I engaged in a knife fight. But the skills would be good to have for that "backed into a corner" situation.

I need a rundown on the Philippines - OSL - 08-26-2010

Quote: (08-24-2010 04:31 AM)thekiller Wrote:  

I'm less into "stick fighting", and more into practical street fighting self-defense methods (Muay Thai).

Don't sell escrima short..it is HIGHLY practical. It teaches UNIVERSAL lines of attack and defense applicable to any weapon. If you get good with sticks you'll be good with swords, machetes, baseball bats, car antennas, branches, knives, your hands, and one of the best weapons you can take with you anywhere, even an airplane, a TIGHTLY rolled magazine.

Double handed stick-work requires you to be highly agile on your feet and teaches you a high level of coordination.

As for the person saying they'd rather learn the knife fighting, IT IS the knife fighting, it's easier to learn the angles with sticks, plus it trains your forearms and joints. The movements just get tighter the shorter the weapon, but the angles are the same.

You also learn some handy bits like if you have to take a blow from an impact object, get in close and try to take the contact close to the hand of the person wielding it, less force there. If your surprised by a knife slash and put an arm out, try to take the cut on the back of the arm, to protect the arteries on the inside arm. Conversely, if it's an impact weapon if you cant dodge it use your inner forearms to block to protect your bones.

How does it stack up as a cardio workout vs. muay thai?

I need a rundown on the Philippines - thekiller - 08-29-2010

Hydro, any Escrima/Kali instructor worth their salt will make clear to their students NO ONE wins a knife fight.

At one point my instructor thought we were being too "comfortable" and risky with our freestyle knife fights (using Rubber training blades). So he switched us to lit cigars. After getting singed once, everyone got a lot lighter on their feet and planned their attacks WAY better. Nowadays they have those Electro Stun knives, bet those are awesome for training.

YMG, I would bet it compares favorably. Most drills are two person back and forth so your swinging both arms with a weighted object (stick or knife) while working on your footwork and adding low line attacks with your foot, knees. Unlike Muay Thai though, there's no kicks that go above the waist.

I'll tell you one thing, you'll build a lot of tendon strength with stickwork. Even though I was a skinny kid back then with noodle arms people were constantly surprised by my strength.

I need a rundown on the Philippines - Tommo27 - 08-31-2010

Hi guys,

LTRFTW....

Having read Roosh's "A dead bat in Paraguay", I have gotten the bug to do some travelling. I'm still in the early stages of working on my game and as much as my interest in visiting South America far outweighs the far east, I feel the latter is probably more within my grasp in terms of getting some action out there.

Admittedly, I will probably have to sacrifice the impression I could give to friends and family of being a cultured traveller in exchange for the stigma of sex tourist...but lets face it, either way and whatever the label, we're pretty much looking for the same outcome.

I have a family member and friend who travel to Cebu regularly and have recommended it to me. Just looking for some comparisons of the place as opposed to Manilla, Angeles and Borocay.

From what I've read it's a little less intense and full-on when compared to Angeles and Manilla. Which in some ways is what I'm looking for, a relaxed break away with the opportunity to do some day game, night game and resort to p4p if I strike out.

Have any of you guys been to Cebu and one of the others and are there any major differences?

One other thing that I'm interested to know is whether of you have had any luck meeting women through sites like dateinasia. Most seem to suggest that they are looking for 'long-term' and 'marriage', Does this pose a problem getting lucky with them and, if not, does it take time to break the ladies down?

I've chatted to a few on yahoo messenger and some of them seem a little full-on. By that I mean somewhat possessive. If you don't reply to their instant messages within 30 seconds some of them really take the hump! Does this translate to real life? What happens if you bang one at your hotel, is she likely to become a problem? I don't want 100 missed calls a day or a woman turning up at my hotel when I'm trying to get lucky with another.

Look forward to hearing your experriences. Keep up the great work in this forum!

Tommo

I need a rundown on the Philippines - exe - 08-31-2010

Quote: (08-24-2010 04:31 AM)thekiller Wrote:  

As for the person saying they'd rather learn the knife fighting, IT IS the knife fighting, it's easier to learn the angles with sticks,

It is easier to learn the angles with sticks but it is not knife fighting. A person who only trains in sticks will not be a good knife fighter. One needs to actually learn knife moves. I'm not going to do a side jab into the carotid with my stick nor will I do an abanico or florete with my knife.