Roosh V Forum
TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+---- Forum: Fitness (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-6.html)
+---- Thread: TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet (/thread-56561.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Parzival - 02-23-2018

When watching martial arts films was your religion as kid - like it was mine - you are blessed. As we know from those films training alone in the nature creates the strongest fighters. Only the weak go to the classes. You can see regular how the mountain / forest / desert guy beat all the others from those fancy worthless martial arts schools.
And I thought the national martial arts of Australia is wresting with crocodiles and bar brawls.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 02-23-2018

Quote: (02-23-2018 05:46 AM)Richard Turpin Wrote:  

Quote: (02-22-2018 10:32 AM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

If you are fast/intense I would not recommend Aikido. Silat, FMA, Systema, Hapkido, etc. would fit better.

Let me know if that makes sense or not.

That makes perfect sense, thanks. I always found boxing and the stand-up aspect of Judo to be too fast for me. Even though, I can be explosive, I could never get the timing right in Judo throws. Lack of practice almost certainly, but possibly as much to do with my temperament and nature, as I was much better at Judo groundwork where I had time to at least take stock of my position and formulate and act out a plan accordingly. When I tried that in standup, I'd usually already been thrown!

I'll call in and give it a go, as I do love those wrist-locks! As you say, my experience in Judo should help my Bullshit-Detector to be nicely calibrated. I just don't want to waste my time learning something that may not be as practical as I'd like, and 'googling Aikido' is not a positive experience! That's why I appreciate the opinions of yourself, Dalaran1991 and others on the matter.

Some guys just don't like the te waza side of Judo. Take BJJ instead. Almost no sweeps and throws there you have to use that involve alot of timing. More effort based. Not gonna debate if that is wrong or right, but it can still work somewhat. Aikido is more timing/feel based than Judo actually is.

Quote: (02-23-2018 08:23 AM)Leonard D Neubache Wrote:  

Hmm. Hopefully I can find someone local. The nearest city is over a 3 hour round trip away and it's small enough that I'm not even sure I have options there.

If you are that remote you may want to consider your next week of holiday, going to a bigger city, get a hotel, and book lots of lessons for you and your son at a gym for that whole week. You could even call ahead and ask them about the next seminars they might be holding at that gym.

That way, you could at least have something to do bag work with until you get more training. I still do not recommend doing focus mitts at your skill level, but you could work on all the basic combos you learned on the heavy bag and speed bags at home. The rest is constant running and conditioning.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Leonard D Neubache - 02-23-2018

Thanks for the advice. I honestly would never have thought just doing bag work would require that level of commitment and if it were anyone else bringing me that advice I'd probably dismiss it, but I'll do the due diligence. It turns out that I might have some resources in the nearest city so I'll try to work my infrequent trips there around getting the boy some professional advice.

Cheers.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 02-23-2018

If he is old enough, and is responsible enough, send him alone during the summers. Some kids are martial arts nuts like myself but you almost never know until you send them to lessons to see if they are naturals like that. If he is like me a at that age a hot chick could come by and ask me to take her to the movies but I'd rather finish my push-ups.

Focus over hoes. [Image: lol.gif]

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Dalaran1991 - 02-25-2018

Quote: (02-22-2018 10:41 AM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

There is no self defense component. Learning and knowing how to box just means you know how to box. That's it. If he learns something else that is self defense related, he will just naturally add the proper punching he got from boxing along with the conditioning, etc.

Kai, can you elaborate? Learning to box = learning to punch and if you know how to deliver a proper jab that's gotta save your life.

My new roomate is a young serious boxer, and he used to train with me in Aikido. Brought him back to the dojo after reading your comment, ask him to throw some jabs at me at various speed.

Even at half speed it's nigh almost impossible to defend against, and I wasn't focus on doing an Aikido techniques, I was trying to find a way to win. Eventually half the dojo came see what we were doing, and I asked some more advanced people (4th dan, MMA, crosstrained in Jujitsu/Karate) Nobody could get a hold of him. The guy know his tricks, if people try to close in he punches while stepping backwards. Some jujustu guys try to enter into a clinch, they succeeded but eat 3-4 jabs to the face. I imagine at full speed that's enough to knock someone down?

Really other than using improvised weapon I have no fucking clue what I have to do if I gotta square up against a trained boxer.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - MJP1 - 02-26-2018

Quite possibly the best source of complete information on the internet. Amazing insights.

A very big thank you to TravelerKai. OSU.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 02-27-2018

Quote: (02-25-2018 12:27 PM)Dalaran1991 Wrote:  

Quote: (02-22-2018 10:41 AM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

There is no self defense component. Learning and knowing how to box just means you know how to box. That's it. If he learns something else that is self defense related, he will just naturally add the proper punching he got from boxing along with the conditioning, etc.

Kai, can you elaborate? Learning to box = learning to punch and if you know how to deliver a proper jab that's gotta save your life.

My new roomate is a young serious boxer, and he used to train with me in Aikido. Brought him back to the dojo after reading your comment, ask him to throw some jabs at me at various speed.

Even at half speed it's nigh almost impossible to defend against, and I wasn't focus on doing an Aikido techniques, I was trying to find a way to win. Eventually half the dojo came see what we were doing, and I asked some more advanced people (4th dan, MMA, crosstrained in Jujitsu/Karate) Nobody could get a hold of him. The guy know his tricks, if people try to close in he punches while stepping backwards. Some jujustu guys try to enter into a clinch, they succeeded but eat 3-4 jabs to the face. I imagine at full speed that's enough to knock someone down?

Really other than using improvised weapon I have no fucking clue what I have to do if I gotta square up against a trained boxer.

Learning how to box in boxing environments teaches you exactly that. A sport called boxing. We have talked about this before several pages back. Your typical boxer is likely to break fingers, sprain his wrists, jarr his elbows, etc. etc. punching barefisted outside of a boxing gym. Boxing is full of rules, as is MMA. The street has zero rules.

No boxer punches without lots of wrapping and gloves, bag or ring style.

An MMA fighter on the other hand is ALOT closer to barefisted fights which is why you almost never hear about them breaking stuff, although it still happens sometimes.

For boxers to cross-train barefisted fighting, that is technically no longer the sport of boxing. You are now working on street fighting. You might as well invoke your inner Kimbo Slice. You know Street Fighting also has guidelines as well. Some places that are okay to punch in the ring with gloves is not a good idea to punch outside the ring. You cannot game the point system on the street like you can the ring and win.

The simple breakdown is this:

1. Boxing as a style has the best punching.

2. Self Defense systems have the best self defense for the street and saving your life.

Where dudes get hung up is that most self defense systems do not force you into a level of cardio and conditioning like boxing does. Boxing rivals soccer conditioning wise. Most self defense systems require you to do that outside of class. You can mix your boxing with whatever else you know, but boxing by itself is very limited. I know I posted an interesting video of a Russian boxer lighting up some weak dudes in an elevator, but had that been me in that elevator, he would have gotten slammed on his head most likely and it would have been a different story. I outweighed that guy by alot as well. If someone is large enough and has some training they will ruin your day if all you have is boxing skills. Floyd Mayweather would not stand a chance fighting me outside a boxing ring and likely any of the other much larger posters on here that are grapplers either. He may be the best boxer of his generation, but his best self defence skill is that he can run away very fast, at full speed, for several miles as a man between 145-160 pounds. Against some attacker 200+ boxing them is not his best option believe it or not. Forget about jabbing an attacker you cannot even reach because your arms are too short and you risk getting grabbed.

Self defense is a study of factors. It's highly multidimensional.

Weight
Techniques
Strength
Mindset/Mentality
Environment
Weapons/Deadly Force/Force Multipliers
Escapeability
Distance/Position
Conditioning
Stamina
Multiple Opponents
Animals

Don't fall for the common mistake of constantly comparing techniques and styles nonstop, to other techniques and styles. When you start understanding self defense from a holistic and full circle approach, you will understand that there is much more involved than which style is better than another.

As a side note, your experiences with Aikido is alot of the reason why it typically takes too long to master. A 20+ sensei is not likely to get confused with a boxer's punches, and certainly not a legit 30+ year grandmaster. Very few guys can supplement or have the serious hand eye coordination that is on par with pro gamers and jet fighter pilots, to stop nearly any attacker with basic level Aikido.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 02-28-2018

Something else I forgot to mention that is highly relevant when discussing Aikido, is what it was initially created for. Most bring up how violent and danger Japanese Ju Jitsu was and how Judo and Aikido were created as a balance to it, but that is only part of it.

Aikido comes from Aiki-jujutsu. The proto-Aikido techniques were called the soft style. Modern day Ju Jitsu comes from aiki-jujutsu as well, and combines both hard and soft components.

In Kamakura period Japan, the samurai and all the typical classes of citizenry most notable in Japan up until the end of the Meiji Period, battles on the battlefield were grueling affairs as you could imagine.

Cutting dudes and blocking strikes require a great deal of stamina.

So anything you use with or without weapons needs to be highly efficient. I talked about in a post a while back about Vikings having super efficient killing methods with their Dane Axe

Quote: (06-19-2017 11:24 AM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

Quote: (06-16-2017 10:28 AM)Thriver Wrote:  

Quote: (06-12-2017 07:41 PM)tom Wrote:  

Quote: (06-12-2017 05:36 PM)Thriver Wrote:  

Vikings were more or less blonde gypsies.

Never managed to create something valuable.

William the Conqueror, King Rurik and Oleg of Novogorad would disagree with that.

In general Vikings were just useless savages that were not efficient even in war

Have to stop you there.

Vikings were martial arts geniuses, genius armorers and weapons crafters, and excellent battle tacticians.

Their steel forging techniques were WAAAAY ahead of it's time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulfberht_swords

Their Dane Axe's were extremely clever for the times. [Image: axe_behind_shield2.jpg]

Doubling as a tool when not at war, when it was time for battle it was a deadly weapon. Notice in that photo, they would use that long pole to reach past their enemy's shield defense and split skulls. In a battle this would absolutely fuck the enemy's front line and demoralize them causing them to reel backwards into their rear line. Even if the enemy was wearing a helmet, that axe would still split the face. Absolutely brutal! They would hook/sweep feet with that axe, then follow up high. These guys had mad skills.

These guys used kicks, elbows, trip/sweeps, shields and multiple types of weapons to win fights. The were not some barbaric people in the way you suggest. They were very intelligent people. Not all that much different from other warrior cultures like the Zulu, Scythians, The Huns, etc. Each group were innovators in something related to combat.

They were the best mercenaries in the world at one point because of their battlefield skill. You cannot last long as a merc if you tend to die like raw meat in a grinder.

You need to join a HEMAA or ARMA class or seminar and learn how people from those times, etc. fought and learn about the weaponry. All this imagery of anyone not Roman Empire, as barbarians with swashbuckling fighting skills reeks of ignorance. Go get some knowledge and check out their history on a combat level.

The Japanese devised highly efficient hand to hand combat techniques paired with their weapons, just like the Vikings did.

At the end of the day it all comes back down to Stamina, Conditioning, and Staying in the Fight.

If you ran out of gas, you ran out of time, and you were well on your way to see the grim reaper. The second, third, and fourth lines did not care if you had cut down your fair share of men. They were fresh, you are covered in blood, you are sucking air, and they are not interested in letting you tag in a buddy for a substitution. Same rules goes if you drop your sword or get disarmed. If you want to stay in the fight until the other side retreats or surrenders, you need every little trick in the book to hang in there.

Vikings obviously cared a great deal for stamina. They were so big and much stronger than many opponents throughout their history, that being a mercenary meant that you damn well better be very efficient, not just good at killing people. Luck cannot be a factor of your style.

Haven't you been doing some Medieval or Renaissance fighting Dalaran? Surely you have noticed the great need for stamina and conditioning using armor and weapons?

So to wrap it up, if these guys had to have great stamina and conditioning (along with speed), just to be a decent soldier, these "soft" techniques would not get overwhelmed with a dude coming in with a fast punch. Also if they had not lost their weapon it's not a big deal to them as well.

Context, in a historical sense, can help you understand why moves are being used the way they are and why. Newer martial arts systems like Systema, Krav Maga, or even Real Aikido are more adapted to modern day threats. They are all based to varying degrees on the old systems, but take into account threats that did not exist in those old times, as well as taking into account that we no longer fight in wide open battles with swords and melee weapons anymore. You have to be more Jason Bourne and much less Alexander the Great these days.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Dalaran1991 - 03-01-2018

Damn, with this kind of advice we'd soon need to pay Traveler Kai!

Yeah, I've been doing HEMA intensely for the last few months and stepping it up now that I'm "temporarily" done with Aikido. Don't even talk about stamina. Swinging a longsword (which is actually not that heavy as the movie makes it out to be) is FREAKINGLY tiresome. 3 min of partner sparring work and my whole body feels like lead and I have trouble breathing.

Swinging a sword in solo kata is one thing, I can easily do 150 swing in 3 min, but swinging a sword with the express intention of hitting the guy, and (not) getting hit back is another story entirely. That's why the skill gap is so enormous with a weapon.

Since doing HEMA I realize just how much importance stamina is, and why I seem to have zero stamina despite being at the media skill spectrum. Looks like I'm used to intense, quick bouts of aggression but not to protracted engagement. I would make a good duelist but a piss-poor soldier. There are two types of lessons at my club: group armored combat, and dueling. I take mostly dueling lessons and did pretty well. Took a few group armored combat and I had to drop out mid-lesson. The rule changes COMPLETELY. In dueling you are trying to kill the other person, and skill matters. In armored combat you are trying to survive, no one give jackshit to your skill when you are getting ganged by 3+ dudes with armored and swords. Stamina and conditioning is where it's at.

Thanks for the quick history lesson in Aikido. I certainly think that mainstream Aikido is not adapted to modern self defense because the context has changed so much. Have never seen a good aikido master/grandmaster square up against a boxer and not sure if I'll ever see one.

For the next step would you recommend pencat silat or boxing? Boxing certainly seems to have better physical conditioning system, but pencat silat seems to be more well-rounded.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 03-01-2018

Quote: (03-01-2018 04:17 AM)Dalaran1991 Wrote:  

Damn, with this kind of advice we'd soon need to pay Traveler Kai!

Yeah, I've been doing HEMA intensely for the last few months and stepping it up now that I'm "temporarily" done with Aikido. Don't even talk about stamina. Swinging a longsword (which is actually not that heavy as the movie makes it out to be) is FREAKINGLY tiresome. 3 min of partner sparring work and my whole body feels like lead and I have trouble breathing.

Swinging a sword in solo kata is one thing, I can easily do 150 swing in 3 min, but swinging a sword with the express intention of hitting the guy, and (not) getting hit back is another story entirely. That's why the skill gap is so enormous with a weapon.

Since doing HEMA I realize just how much importance stamina is, and why I seem to have zero stamina despite being at the media skill spectrum. Looks like I'm used to intense, quick bouts of aggression but not to protracted engagement. I would make a good duelist but a piss-poor soldier. There are two types of lessons at my club: group armored combat, and dueling. I take mostly dueling lessons and did pretty well. Took a few group armored combat and I had to drop out mid-lesson. The rule changes COMPLETELY. In dueling you are trying to kill the other person, and skill matters. In armored combat you are trying to survive, no one give jackshit to your skill when you are getting ganged by 3+ dudes with armored and swords. Stamina and conditioning is where it's at.

Thanks for the quick history lesson in Aikido. I certainly think that mainstream Aikido is not adapted to modern self defense because the context has changed so much. Have never seen a good aikido master/grandmaster square up against a boxer and not sure if I'll ever see one.

For the next step would you recommend pencat silat or boxing? Boxing certainly seems to have better physical conditioning system, but pencat silat seems to be more well-rounded.

No problem, anytime.

Based upon what you wrote out, I would say go with the boxing. You are young so take advantage of your youth and stay fit and well conditioned. There are a few dudes that have been in the UFC that had Aikido and boxing backgrounds. Aikido is a self defense system and if someone grabbed your throat in a bar, I would think you would know how to handle that situation already. Also the boxing will improve the footwork speed you already have in Aikido skills. You should not struggle as much as other beginners in that regard, but do not go into that boxing gym with a big head. Stay humble and hungry.

You could start taking Silat at 28-30 years old, if you feel like it. The older you get, the less jumping around and overall movement you will be interested in. You can use that opportunity to make adjustments at an older age like I did. I took alot of that in my mid-late 20s and older and got into gun carry and shooting training at 30.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Dalaran1991 - 03-01-2018

Thanks for the recommendation Kai. I'm 27 now so not too much time left to take advantage of boxing, might as well start ASAP. While I have a slight idea of being in a confrontation I admit I know jack shit about throwing a good punch.

Funny you bring back the throat grab, because despite the all the ridicule Aikido get, getting your throat/arm/shirt grabbed is actually way more common than getting stabbed. The great thing with aikido is that it de-escalate the situation if you manage to pull it off. My beef with Aikido is I dont know if I can pull it off in real life, though I know perfectly how to do it on the tatami.

My textbook reaction would be something like this, but I finish with a hiji kime osae/arm lock and tell the guy to calm the fuck down.

But against a really big guy? Not sure. Might need to ask the biggest bud in the dojo to grab me and see. Problem with asking aikidoka people to grab you is they know what's coming so they dont grab as hard as some untrained bonehead would.

Compared that to something gimmicky like this, what would you say? My old US dojo taught by black cops was pretty big on pressure point striking against a superior opponent, but personally I wouldn't rely on precision striking in a moment of panick.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Richard Turpin - 03-02-2018

Quote: (02-28-2018 10:41 AM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

At the end of the day it all comes back down to Stamina, Conditioning, and Staying in the Fight.

If you ran out of gas, you ran out of time, and you were well on your way to see the grim reaper.

This reminds me of a quote I read once, something along the lines of 'When you are tired, you lose all your other attributes'.

This really hit home during Randori when I found that if I was fighting the biggest man on the mat first when he was fresh, he would absolutely annihilate me, quickly and easily. If he stayed on (winner stays on), he would visibly tire during his third fight (five minutes a fight). If I got another turn to fight him again, he would be as weak as a kitten and would even ask me to go easy on him as he just didn't have the breath left to fight.

Contrast this with the best black belt at the club, who weighted about 13 stone (185lbs I think). He had the fitness to make use of his skills for a long, long time and he would stay out on the mat forever if he wanted to; could be as seemingly fresh in the 4th fight as he was in the 1st!

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 03-02-2018

Quote: (03-02-2018 08:03 AM)Richard Turpin Wrote:  

Quote: (02-28-2018 10:41 AM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

If you ran out of gas, you ran out of time, and you were well on your way to see the grim reaper.

This reminds me of a quote I read once, something along the lines of 'When you are tired, you lose all your other attributes'.

This really hit home during Randori when I found that if I was fighting the biggest man on the mat first when he was fresh, he would absolutely annihilate me, quickly and easily. If he stayed on (winner stays on), he would visibly tire during his third fight (five minutes a fight). If I got another turn to fight him again, he would be as weak as a kitten and would even ask me to go easy on him as he just didn't have the breath left to fight.

Contrast this with the best black belt at the club, who weighted about 13 stone (185lbs I think). He had the fitness to make use of his skills for a long, long time and he would stay out on the mat forever if he wanted to; could be as seemingly fresh in the 4th fight as he was in the 1st!

Yep because as a black belt, you learn to use what the others give you and everything becomes a matter of energy management and how to do more with much less.

In a big tournament you will be facing other black belts and unless they have a point system in place, you are going against guys that cannot be tricked easily, so in some ways you have to become a white belt again and go hard, but it's a constant game of non-stop escaping from both of you. The first to get too tired usually loses.

When I used to prepare for BJJ tournaments, I just ran more miles on the track outside the training room. What techniques had I already not seen or mastered at that point? Fatigue was always my biggest enemy not another black or brown belt.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Suits - 03-02-2018

Quote: (03-01-2018 08:10 AM)Dalaran1991 Wrote:  

Funny you bring back the throat grab, because despite the all the ridicule Aikido get, getting your throat/arm/shirt grabbed is actually way more common than getting stabbed.

My textbook reaction would be something like this, but I finish with a hiji kime osae/arm lock and tell the guy to calm the fuck down.

Compared that to something gimmicky like this, what would you say? My old US dojo taught by black cops was pretty big on pressure point striking against a superior opponent, but personally I wouldn't rely on precision striking in a moment of panick.

This thread has the best sex tips on the forum.

Quote: (03-02-2018 08:44 AM)Suits Wrote:  

Funny you bring back the throat grab, because despite the all the ridicule Aikido get, getting your throat/arm/shirt grabbed is actually way more common than getting stabbed.

I actually used to teach my students where the erogenous zones were along side it's corresponding pressure point for pain infliction, just for fun.

There are two spots on the inner thigh, and three places on the pevic area, that if you swirl your tongue on them, women go crazy and get even wetter before you even started.

Some of the young guys thought I was just crazy. Some came back and told me it was very useful. Those guys were 2nd and 3rd year students and a little older though.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Ringo - 03-02-2018

Quote: (03-02-2018 08:53 AM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

I actually used to teach my students where the erogenous zones were along side it's corresponding pressure point for pain infliction, just for fun.

There are two spots on the inner thigh, and three places on the pevic area, that if you swirl your tongue on them, women go crazy and get even wetter before you even started.

Do you have a chart or a link?

I'd be curious to learn more.

Quote: (03-02-2018 08:44 AM)Suits Wrote:  

[Image: lol.gif]

You might enjoy this post.

Thanks for the recommendation Kai. I'm 27 now so not too much time left to take advantage of boxing, might as well start ASAP. While I have a slight idea of being in a confrontation I admit I know jack shit about throwing a good punch.

Funny you bring back the throat grab, because despite the all the ridicule Aikido get, getting your throat/arm/shirt grabbed is actually way more common than getting stabbed. The great thing with aikido is that it de-escalate the situation if you manage to pull it off. My beef with Aikido is I dont know if I can pull it off in real life, though I know perfectly how to do it on the tatami.

But against a really big guy? Not sure. Might need to ask the biggest bud in the dojo to grab me and see. Problem with asking aikidoka people to grab you is they know what's coming so they dont grab as hard as some untrained bonehead would.

If your armlock does not work on a bigger guy, punching him in the face most certainly will not work. You are defeating the purpose of studying SJM and Grappling in the first place. Positioning, leveraging, and manipulation is designed to give you a deep edge against a larger attacker.

Just like how I told that story about the roided out skinhead I saw outside glaring at me to come fight him, I knew based upon his size and muscles that no amount of BJJ I had would be enough to stop him without serious injury. Punching or kicking him is even worse. That is completely out of the question. I did not even bother to factor in strikes. His bone density alone due to the super high T levels could get me injured either leg or fist. Floyd Mayweather broke his fingers on other dudes harder heads because of his age and T levels are not high enough to match theirs.

When you size up a threat you need to factor in these things better. If I had enough sense to put the gas pump away and run back into the car and drive off, you can get away from most super large threats as well. I bet you run faster than me by a large margin. Never feel as if you cannot escape something, unless you are obviously cornered on all sides up against a wall by multiple opponents.

Pressure point striking is a hotly contested issue in the realm of traditional martial arts.

Guys like the dude in your video from the UK, are obviously super hardcore, and are deep students of martial arts. He's either a martial arts genius or just a fanatic obsessed with perfecting the craft.

Guys with decent or less interest in martial arts will never be able to fully unlock the potential and the power of the invisible hand or pressure point fighting in general. Period.

Guys like that should stick with hard styles and sports styles and call it a day.

You might even be someone like this.

It's almost like a religion issue. God exists, but some choose to believe it or worship God and some either don't care about it or flat out think God does not exist at all. Same goes for pressure point fighting.

Funnily enough, you have to believe in it first, enough to learn how to do it and master it. If you do not, chances are super high you never will learn it at all to begin with.

It's super outside the box and is the Computer Hacking of Martial Arts. Non-Hackers cannot understand how it works and think its hocus pocus stuff. Like old people talkin' bout "he does all that cumpooter stuff".

It's certainly not for everyone because even if all people were interested, most would not get it or would be very limited in it's application.

One observation I found in my experience is not only is the only defense against pressure point strikes, very large muscles, but even then, some people's fingers are so strong, they will attack them anyway.

You could look like Hulk Hogan in his prime. If a legit Shaolin style monk wants to stop you cold in your tracks with a strike on your pectoral muscle, temporarily paralyzing your legs, he is more than strong enough to penetrate your pec muscles with those two fingers required. Anyone that can break a two rocks, while holding an unbroken egg inside their palm, can easily do that.

I once tried to squeeze a 330 pound student's pressure point on his left shoulder during a randori, to get his grip off me, and his fat actually prevented me from hitting the right spot. I was too bewildered to bother fishing for the right spot, I just tried other things. I should not have been using that anyway, but when I was 180 pounds, and you are 250+, you should be beating me easily anyway, I might cheat a little just so I didn't suffocate back then. [Image: tongue.gif]

Another thing is that how many people are on Earth that can even do this stuff? like .001%? Your chances of meeting another in combat is super low. The ones that do know, usually refuse to touch others. If you see me in person, I never mind showing it off if you really want to see something or learn about it and you are not trying to be a dick or start a fight.

Also there are like 4 levels of pressure points.

Low Effort
Medium Effort
Hard Effort
Special Effort

Low and Medium ones are the ones you always see in Aikido classes for the non-senior students. Systema, Basic Hapkido, Karate, Basic JJ, some BJJ, Judo, Basic Wu Shu/Kung Fu, etc. etc.

Hard and higher? LOL!

Even some that are ranked as Hard, I cannot even do. Special ones? I'll give you an example. Dim Mak has pressure points and meridians that cannot be used depending upon the tide of the oceans/moon and also the time of the day or night, otherwise they do not work at all. They even have stuff that takes the attacker's blood pressure into account. Now how can they tell what your blood pressure is in the middle of a fight? I have no idea. I'm not willing to spend 20 years studying that to find out either.

Anyway I digress. Grappling and Pressure points (and SJM) have almost nothing to do with attacker size. They were invented to deal with larger opponents, even if there are still some limits. Larger cavemen have been hitting women and puny men over the head with strikes for thousands of years. No one really needed to teach anyone how to take advantage of that.

Quote: (03-02-2018 09:15 AM)Ringo Wrote:  

Quote: (03-02-2018 08:53 AM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

Do you have a chart or a link?

I'd be curious to learn more.

Hard to describe but I will try and see what I can find.

[Image: f_legs.gif]

From this picture Kekkai, Fukuto, and Kisho are definitely spots of interest.

Inmon and shofu when you have the girl on her stomach flat, before you straddle her for the chest to back action grind out.

Anything else could get awkward or too kinky if you don't have the right rapport with the girl. You are Brazilian though, so maybe you can experiment more because of the freakiness of the women there.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Poker - 03-02-2018

TravelerKai, thank you for all the information you have imparted in this thread, I have learnt a lot.
In your opinion, how effective is boxing for self defence and what should I do to fill in the weaknesses of it?
I practiced a martial art during my teenage years which I left as I felt it was a bit of a Mcdojo. However, I remember that the guy who ran the place and I were once talking about pressure points and I asked him to give me a practical demonstration. He obliged and with his thumb, applied pressure to a point about half way up between my wrist and elbow, on the underside of my arm. As a result, my legs lost all strength and I fell to my knees. I couldn’t believe it and asked the guy to repeat it which he did about two or three more times, with the same result each time. I was amazed by it and have never forgotten it. It’s something I would like to learn more about.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Dalaran1991 - 03-02-2018

Came to learn about martial arts, got schooled in martial theology and sex tips.

[Image: i-gotta-say-today-was-a-good-day-diy-25507011.png]

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Poker - 03-02-2018

Double post

Quote: (03-02-2018 11:03 AM)Poker Wrote:  

TravelerKai, thank you for all the information you have imparted in this thread, I have learnt a lot.
In your opinion, how effective is boxing for self defence and what should I do to fill in the weaknesses of it?
I practiced a martial art during my teenage years which I left as I felt it was a bit of a Mcdojo but I remember that the guy who ran the place and I were once talking about pressure points and I asked him to give me a practical demonstration. He obliged and with his thumb, applied pressure to a point about half way up between my wrist and elbow, on the underside of my arm. As a result, my legs lost all strength and I fell to my knees. I couldn’t believe it and asked the guy to repeat it which he did about two or three more times, with the same result each time.. I was amazed by it and have never forgotten it. It’s something I would like to learn more about.

If I had to grade boxing as a self defense tool out of a possible score of 10, I would give it a ranged score of 3-5. Ranged because Anthony Joshua would wreck most people messing with him, even multiple oppoents UNLESS a weapon was involved, like how the pro boxer that got stabbed in H1N1s story some pages back.

Mike Tyson once sent two men to the hospital, one in a coma, for attacking him with a lead pipe.

Question is. How many dudes that box non-pro right now, can do this? Not many. Most of us have to work for a living so it is a minor obsession at best if single with no kids, and a hobby if you have a wife, kids, or both.

As for what to pair it with, let's just make a short list of the best synergies (in my opinion):

1. Boxing + Systema
2. Boxing + Silat
3. Boxing + Japanese JuJitsu
4. Boxing + Escrima/FMA
5. Boxing + Hapkido
6. Boxing + Krav Maga
7. Boxing + Karate
8. Boxing + Aikido
9. Boxing + Wrestling/Judo/BJJ

Remember this is a synergy list in regards to street defense. The last one in terms of effective use might be number 7 instead. Aikido and Karate have more tools for self defense than pure grappling styles. Karate has a great technique for getting back on your feet from off the ground (revolves around the horse stance) and the others do not, and it's important not to be on the ground when it is unnecessary.

You could even do what Chuck Liddell did and study Kenpo (he is an 8th Dan black belt), but I have no idea if there is any good schools for that outside of Japan and the USA. Kenpo has self defense and lots of boxing like sparring. I have a black belt in that as well and it is pretty good. Kenpo is basically Karate, Boxing, and Hapkido mixed together more or less.

There are lots of ways to skin the same cat, check out the options near you and figure out what feels like gives you the right synergy with your boxing base.

Quote: (03-02-2018 10:43 AM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

[Image: f_legs.gif]

From this picture Kekkai, Fukuto, and Kisho are definitely spots of interest.

Inmon and shofu when you have the girl on her stomach flat, before you straddle her for the chest to back action grind out.

[Image: youtheman.gif]

Thank you! Will be trying it out tonight.

Quote: (03-02-2018 10:43 AM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

You are Brazilian though, so maybe you can experiment more because of the freakiness of the women there.

[Image: laugh2.gif]

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - nzd - 03-12-2018

I'm going to start martial arts again, bjj, mma or boxing, I need a mouth guard for a small mouth, any good brands? The custom is too expensive in my country