Roosh V Forum
TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+---- Forum: Fitness (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-6.html)
+---- Thread: TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet (/thread-56561.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 06-13-2017

Quote: (06-10-2017 08:43 PM)Vaun Wrote:  

TK - I really like this thread and would rate it as one of the most highly useful and best threads on the forum.

Starting on July 5th, I am starting BJJ at a Gracie gym. I have never done a martial art. I have had self defense training, I wrestled in jr high and early high school, I have boxed on and off but never was a competitive boxer. I was a street fighter as a kid, and started fighting as a child up through high school, in numerous fist fights and group fights. I gave it up after high school. So I think I am better physically than most newbies.

I am starting BJJ at 41. I am inspired by listening to the Joe Rogan podcast, especially the Guy Richie episode. Since I have easy access to a Gracie gym, I thought I would do it. I would like to get a Brown belt, or, if I progress well and stay consistent, I want to get a Black belt by the time I am 50, which is 8 years.

Do you have any suggestions or advice for me?

HA. Don't get too cocky. Two things in this world are undefeated. Sex and Father Time. Your age will show up at some point, but don't take that as discouragement.

Just pace yourself. Don't overtrain and if I were you I would not lift too heavy outside of practice. Find calm dudes to roll with and avoid the young dudes with white belts that spazz the fuck out jumping around and roll too hard. Those knuckleheads will get you hurt and you are not likely to heal as fast as you did in your 20s.

A black belt in 8 years is possible, but in an official GJJ school, I would not be surprised if you were still purple in that time. Some of the GJJ guys are hardasses and black belts tend to be more political than skill derived. Well 10 years ago it was at least, I'm not too sure about the last 5 or so. Some people like that because they think it keeps quality high. Other's realize that it's money and control related. When you see blue and purple belts from GJJ schools beating black belts from other BJJ schools in tournaments or casual roll sessions, you will see what I mean.

Nate Diaz is a 1st Degree Black belt under Cesar Gracie and he is 32. His brother Nick is a 3rd degree, but still. Let that sink in for a moment. He got it in 2016. It took him 12 years. I am pretty sure Nate and I would have been tit for tat, or he was even better than me a few years after I had gotten mine.

http://www.bjjee.com/articles/flashback-...-training/

If that black belt means alot to you, you may want to rethink going the GJJ route and choose a non-GJJ affiliate instead.

If you want GJJ quality but on a non affiliate typically without the politics, go through guys that learned from Cesar, Rickson, Rilion, Royce, etc. etc. but do not run a GJJ academy. Part of my lineage comes from someone that was one of Rickson's first groups of students. I had multiple instructors throughout my BJJ study, but my base came from that line and that was the toughest instruction actually. I never had GJJ people embarrass me on the mat, let alone beat me in a best of 3 or 5 either, unlike other generic BJJ school students usually get.

You could also look for instructors that are BJJ but possibly exceed the Gracies in a way. Eddie Bravo, Mario Sperry, Noguiera, etc. All these guys have Gracie or Machado lineage, but are legends in JiuJitsu. A lesson from any of these guys is worth it's weight in gold, especially Sperry. I learned from guys that learned from him for a short while and I learned all kinds of little stuff that makes a big difference on the mat.

Hope this helps. If not let me know.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 06-15-2017

Here is a new really interesting video from John's Channel.

Pretty safe to say that Russian guy must have some kind of military training or quite possibly Systema/Sambo experience.

Notice how he tucked his chin and pinned his face against the gunman's back when that other guy was punching him? He knew better than to let go of that gun hand.

He did not get the disarm, but I cannot tell if that is because he did not know how, the gunman was too strong to disarm, or maybe he realized the gun was a fake one. No telling, but it is interesting nevertheless.

While this guy's techniques are not exactly something I would teach, he knows how to improvise extremely well with what he does know and he has huge balls and heart, which is something you cannot teach.

It's also worth pointing out how weight matters. It matters ALOT. This large man carrying alot of fat was able to literally push two tall skinny young males, that had a gun, in their 20s out of a door by his own self!!!!

Weight is power fellas!

Now get out there and go eat and at go lift. Get big little dudes! [Image: lol.gif]

Quote: (06-10-2017 11:37 AM)raynman Wrote:  

Hats off to travelerkai for starting this thread. Your datasheet is awesome-learned a lot of new shit.
Im considering hitting bkk by then end of the year to train muay thai. Im torn between master toddy's gym and bangkok fight lab. I'd like some intel if anyone has any experience with either gym.
My priority is developing a solid muay thai base but I would also like to develop my ground game.

Hey I missed your post or forgot to reply to it. Sorry about that.

See if VincentVenturi would be willing to help you out via PM. I myself never trained there and I do not have any meaningful contacts for martial arts in general there.

Quote: (06-05-2017 10:37 AM)PuppetMaster Wrote:  

Just got my account activated for this site a few days ago and decided to look at this. This is a really good thread man. A bit overwhelming but definitely something any man can use. I am not sure where to start though because I have always fought guys dirty. Never mind using objects, nut shots, eye shots, elbows, or grabbing "too much" and just slinging someone around into objects.

Some guys and girls don't know when to stop when they start fighting. They will keep hitting you and hitting you until someone takes them off; usually after rubber necking and possibly recording the fight. Others like to laugh and instigate. All it takes is about 10-15 seconds and suddenly you feel tired as fuck and are bleeding. I just can't risk a situation like that spiraling out of control.

Of course, I'd rather persuade and avoid fighting altogether. It's just the best and most mature way of going about it.

I've been looking into buying firearms and other security equipment lately as well.

Yeah I missed this one too. I will respond to your other PM in a few moments as well.

If the thread overwhelms a little bit, look at it this way:

1. What are my daily threats and risks?
2. Do I have only a fitness goal? Or do I need self defense? What about both?
3. What level of fitness, strength, and cardio am I willing to develop to learn a martial art?
4. Your age and general health (blood pressure, Test levels, weight) should always be a factor in the decision making process. If you are 400 pounds, perhaps losing 50-100 pounds first before taking BJJ would be alot better for you. Dropping 100 at that weight is alot faster than risking an early heart attack trying to practice BJJ at 400 pounds.
5. Are weapons or just hand-to-hand of interest to me? What if you do not mind both?
6. Would you be more comfortable learning something easy to learn or complexity does not bother you?
7. Are you a very spiritual person or highly interested in philosophy? This can and should affect your choice.
8. Do you take well to instruction or do you have issues (usually mental or behavioral), that would get in the way of instruction? For example, if you had a child with a severe behavioral disorder, there are certain styles that are probably not recommended.
9. How much money do you have for training? Finances are very important to factor in. Some Systema places can run 150-350 a month. Some BJJ places are over 200 a month. Where you live matters too. Los Angeles based instruction costs more than a place in Ohio for sure.
10. Logistics. Do you have a car? Can you take a bus or an Uber to get to classes? Is the school to far away?

If you can answer these 10 things see what you come up with and see if my guide can help you narrow it down to a few styles. If not, check with me either in the thread or via PM and we can flesh it out more.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - xmlenigma - 06-18-2017

Quote: (06-15-2017 01:38 PM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

Quote: (06-05-2017 10:37 AM)PuppetMaster Wrote:  

Just got my account activated for this site a few days ago and decided to look at this. This is a really good thread man. A bit overwhelming but definitely something any man can use. I am not sure where to start though because I have always fought guys dirty. Never mind using objects, nut shots, eye shots, elbows, or grabbing "too much" and just slinging someone around into objects.

Some guys and girls don't know when to stop when they start fighting. They will keep hitting you and hitting you until someone takes them off; usually after rubber necking and possibly recording the fight. Others like to laugh and instigate. All it takes is about 10-15 seconds and suddenly you feel tired as fuck and are bleeding. I just can't risk a situation like that spiraling out of control.

Of course, I'd rather persuade and avoid fighting altogether. It's just the best and most mature way of going about it.

I've been looking into buying firearms and other security equipment lately as well.

Yeah I missed this one too. I will respond to your other PM in a few moments as well.

If the thread overwhelms a little bit, look at it this way:

1. What are my daily threats and risks?
2. Do I have only a fitness goal? Or do I need self defense? What about both?
3. What level of fitness, strength, and cardio am I willing to develop to learn a martial art?
4. Your age and general health (blood pressure, Test levels, weight) should always be a factor in the decision making process. If you are 400 pounds, perhaps losing 50-100 pounds first before taking BJJ would be alot better for you. Dropping 100 at that weight is alot faster than risking an early heart attack trying to practice BJJ at 400 pounds.
5. Are weapons or just hand-to-hand of interest to me? What if you do not mind both?
6. Would you be more comfortable learning something easy to learn or complexity does not bother you?
7. Are you a very spiritual person or highly interested in philosophy? This can and should affect your choice.
8. Do you take well to instruction or do you have issues (usually mental or behavioral), that would get in the way of instruction? For example, if you had a child with a severe behavioral disorder, there are certain styles that are probably not recommended.
9. How much money do you have for training? Finances are very important to factor in. Some Systema places can run 150-350 a month. Some BJJ places are over 200 a month. Where you live matters too. Los Angeles based instruction costs more than a place in Ohio for sure.
10. Logistics. Do you have a car? Can you take a bus or an Uber to get to classes? Is the school to far away?

If you can answer these 10 things see what you come up with and see if my guide can help you narrow it down to a few styles. If not, check with me either in the thread or via PM and we can flesh it out more.

For an amazing thread, I came across this Datasheet damn late. Chewing on your first post today! Much Respect.. If we ever cross paths, dinner is on me.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 06-19-2017

I saw this vid while watching more Jon ASP videos.

How did this Frenchman get a permit to carry a pistol concealed? Any guys in France know how he got a permit for that?

It's kinda cool he can brandish or show them that he had it too, so that they would not attack. We cannot do that in the US, we have to either use it or keep it hidden, no in between or risk getting charged with reckless display of a firearm, brandishing, etc. which usually causes you to lose your carry permit.

On that subject, more cool videos to discuss and breakdown.

Anything in these vids you guys learned anything from?

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Thrill Jackson - 06-19-2017

Quote: (06-21-2016 11:55 AM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

Quote: (06-21-2016 10:31 AM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

A complete system deals with what contingencies?

Piecing together
- small joint manipulation
- using weapons, defending
- not leaving your back unguarded
- internal system
- physical fitness
- multiple attackers
- leg work
- ground work

What other boxes are on this checklist?

Great post

WIA

Oooo... your keen eye is amazing Archie as usual. Honestly, no system actually has all of those things unless you remove the internal system. No one style has all of that inside it, in my opinion. Even the weapons part would depend upon modern ones or ancient ones.

I would say Russian Systema is probably your best bet, but it would have to be a good school. If you are still near DC, I have heard that many good ones are there with G men making up a good bulk of the students. Might be good for networking too on the side.

Some CQC schools might have all this too but I have not spent a good deal looking for these. I think I have only seen 1 or 2 and honestly I could not tell if they were training for a terror attack or a zombie one. Maybe both? Either way, it looked like they knew what the fuck they were doing though based upon what they teach. I think they are in Alabama though.

Sometimes times the best instruction will not get your cardio up to what you want. At the end of the day, it's like an Everest expedition. Bring all the sherpas you want, you still need the gas tank to make it up there. That's on you. I recommend running, biking, elliptical, etc. use a high altitude training mask if you want to get the cardio tip top. I make the last fighter I still privately train run up hills in Utah. He hates it, but he knows it gives a huge advantage.

Let me address open back stuff too.

Some Krav Maga people (and some others) will use Judo throws on guys that are still holding a knife! That's terrible in my opinion. Neutralize the threats first means that you usually have to disarm the biggest threat, then work your way down the rest on the progression. Constant movement to keep your back protected or isolated matters alot when people are closing in on you. The biggest way to find out if some school is McDojo or not very good, is to watch for little stuff like this. They are teaching bad habits. If you see this, question it immediately. If they are demonstrating against multiple opponents there better be a good reason to turn your back to one of the attackers face. If it was a super fast pivot for a punch combo, that is fine. If you can count 1 mississippi and get to 3, that is too long and in a real situation that person might get killed.

In a lot of ways it is instructor dependent on key issues related to self defense. Punches to attackers that are holding clubs and knives are sketchy as fuck and are dead giveaways. Silat stuff may look like they give the back, but that is because that is probably part of their setup to disarm a weapon first and punish the person badly. Usually we have a sideways stance because it is easier to transition to the second bad guy, should he interrupt. If you know alot of boxing/muay thai, notice the strong side lead footwork changes and switches. Here are some videos so you don't have to watch a Jason Borne movie to see what I mean.

Jump to the 30 second mark.

Watch this slower motion one around the 2 min mark for multiple opponents.

Silat (Indonesian or Filipino) would be good ones to go visit and check out Archie. It might even fit your personality better than some other styles. To really know you have to try them all though.

One thing I really like about having skills in Silat is that I can basically fight in a phonebooth or a very small area. You can really stand your ground as long as you don't let them get your back.

If you ever take Silat, please let me and Moma know before we see you again in person. We don't want to find out you carry a karambit the hard way. [Image: lol.gif]

God damn the technique in that first video is beautiful. If I would of seen that when I was 6 I would of went all out and tried to be the next best fighter instead of the next kobe

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - CaptainChardonnay - 06-19-2017

Quote: (06-19-2017 01:52 PM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

I saw this vid while watching more Jon ASP videos.

How did this Frenchman get a permit to carry a pistol concealed? Any guys in France know how he got a permit for that?

It's kinda cool he can brandish or show them that he had it too, so that they would not attack. We cannot do that in the US, we have to either use it or keep it hidden, no in between or risk getting charged with reckless display of a firearm, brandishing, etc. which usually causes you to lose your carry permit.

I remember seeing this a while ago. Yeah in the video the narrator says it's a cop. I speak french

If that is the case why can't off duty officers make that arrest? Those guys broke probably 4 different laws in one setting! Makes no sense to me whatsoever. In the US, that cop would be on the phone calling in all kinds of backup asap, while making them lie on the ground to wait at gunpoint.

If French cops off duty have to run from threats like that, it's no wonder they have the problems they have! How pathetic!

I think he was trying to create a buffer for those people to run away. Might be a camera crew or something. Would need to see the whole clip to understand the situation. Also looks like that area could be a no go zone.

Quote: (06-19-2017 08:49 PM)CaptainChardonnay Wrote:  

I think he was trying to create a buffer for those people to run away. Might be a camera crew or something. Would need to see the whole clip to understand the situation. Also looks like that area could be a no go zone.

A no go zone? Lmao. That doesn't exist in the USA unless we are talking about south central Los Angeles. Even then, they aren't that afraid of bloods and crips like they used to be back in the nineties and eighties before swat teams were invented.

Quote: (06-19-2017 09:05 PM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

Quote: (06-19-2017 08:49 PM)CaptainChardonnay Wrote:  

A no go zone? Lmao. That doesn't exist in the USA unless we are talking about south central Los Angeles. Even then, they aren't that afraid of bloods and crips like they used to be back in the nineties and eighties before swat teams were invented.

Of course no go zones don't happen in north america

I was talking about the french clip with the cop who had his hand on his gun with those black guys holding bats.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Leonard D Neubache - 06-20-2017

Quote: (06-19-2017 01:56 PM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

On that subject, more cool videos to discuss and breakdown.

Bag carry wouldn't be so bad if you had the loop of the bag over your shoulder and your hand on the actual gun inside (obviously not advisable if you're carrying illegally and don't want to arouse suspicion). It might look a little gay, but the moment the first shot went off he could have just lifted the bag and blasted away. If the hammer and/or slide was obstructed after the initial shot (or first shot for a revolver) then slop off the bag, do a jam-drill and shoot on. But bag carry the way this guy is doing it is indeed stupid.

Quote:Quote:

Dude is obviously in top shape. I personally wouldn't try to kick that high. I might strain something.

Quote:Quote:

Anything in these vids you guys learned anything from?

Suicide by cop. Something important to note. At first when the attacker ran at the cop I thought he was just trying to make agitated moves in order to make the cop fire, but on a second watch I actually think that the lights(s) on the gun(s) were so effective at blinding him that he couldn't establish a final footwork solution to a suitable strike. He did this sort of dance like "amIthereyet?! amIthereyet?!"

Purely hypothetical. He might have just been spazzing out. But it can still be added to the "value of flashlights" files.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 06-23-2017

Another great video on a knife attack.

What are some things you would do as an adjustment, in your lives, that could help you defend against such an attack?

I will give my points but I want to see, from a mindset perspective what you guys would do first. I have some nice tips for you guys afterwards.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Rocha - 06-24-2017

Quote: (06-23-2017 06:10 PM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

What are some things you would do as an adjustment, in your lives, that could help you defend against such an attack?

I will give my points but I want to see, from a mindset perspective what you guys would do first. I have some nice tips for you guys afterwards.

I am all ears.
I think the guy could do anything, he did even better than the fat narrator would. Even if he was WarMachine it was hard to do more, it is totally out of the bat unexpected and concealed.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - kinjutsu - 06-24-2017

Right off the bat the victim shouldn't have looked away from the attacker. His back should have been somewhat towards the wall/corner under the camera as to be able to see both people in the atm room. This goes hand in hand with situational awareness that needs to be taught. From my perspective some guy fidgeting with something in his hand standing within 3 feet from me is sending sirens off in my head. I would've probably left the atm if i saw him doing that.

The victim should have gone for the knife hand no matter what. In that situation there isn't much he could've done to avoid the first strike, but after he should've closed the gap and isolated the knife hand/arm and keep it from being used again. Smash it against the wall or floor or his knee. Something/anything to break the grip.

Once the knife hits the ground the victim could've ran away and the attacker would have to make the choice to chase him without the knife or go get the knife but lose to the head start.
(when the attack starts it impossible to know if he was the intended target or just a by stander in the way)

There's almost no version of this scenario is which i would recommend the guy stay and fight.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Parzival - 06-24-2017

I had my second Hapkido lesson. First I want to join Jiu Jitsu but there had be nothing in my area. I also want to switch from boxing to get a wilder field of options. After two lessons you can't say much. I got some basic drills, how to escape when someone grab my wrist, we did train some kicks and some rolls. The instructor said, at the moment they prepare for the next belts so for beginners it will be better to start in September. Anyway I like it so far and catch what I can.

Differences to boxing:
They focus a way more on kicks - obvious
This means a lot of stretching. I do regular stretching anyway because I know I'm not so flexible. Some kicks are more easy then others. Mostly its lack of flexibility and body coordination. From stamina and strength I see no issues.
Also the way they train is less physical challenging then boxing. Their "hard" warm up don't bother me at all. Also when we do the drills its first often just 3 or 4 of kick A, then other side, then Kick B and so on. After we did some partner practice. Compare to boxing, it all goes a way slower and with more technical possibilities you can't focus on one alone till it improve. Therefore I will keep my gym and my stamina training, also keep the boxing in mind and catch new techniques to improve my motion of possibilities.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - rorochido1 - 07-01-2017

Quote: (06-21-2016 12:04 AM)Paracelsus Wrote:  

Quote: (06-20-2016 04:05 PM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

Tai Chi/Tai ji chuan/Chen Style Tai Ji (Chinese Martial Art)

Pros:
1)Internal system with the most health benefits. (ie. Flexibility, fitness, energy management, stress control, etc.)
2)If Chen Style Tai Chi is learned, self-defense is highly efficient compared to other styles.
3)Easy to learn the basics.
4)Great for older people, people of all ages, as well as people with physical issues or difficulties.
5)Think of it like Yoga mixed with Aikido, Gong Fu (Crane Style), and Sanda.
6)Injuries are less likely.
7)The handfuls of people with real internal strength can utilize techniques like Iron Shirt/Robe/Fist/Palm, and are truly dangerous to any unsuspecting that on the street. This is also the same for qi gong mastery in regular Gong Fu.
8)Usually all or most of the different animal styles can learned by the various instructors.

Cons:
1)There are only a handful of Chen Style teachers in the world last time I checked.
2)Can take almost a lifetime to master. (15+ years minimum)
3)It’s self-defense effectiveness is very difficult to explain without showing it.
4)For regular tai chi, the fitness to be able to fight a powerful opponent (with world class strength) or multiple people comes from their breath control techniques but I personally think it has limits if that person is in poor cardio shape to begin with.
5)If you want to learn from Grandmaster Chen himself, he is getting older so you would need to travel to him to do so before it is too late. He lives in Houston, Texas of all places, you would expect.
6)Regular Tai Chi is not practical for self defense.
7)I personally do not think it is a complete system.

Thanks for the guide, Kai (and indeed everyone you acknowledge who filled it out.)

Bearing the above in mind, what do you make of Josh Waitzkin's experiences in Tai Chi Chuan? Wiki'ing it he seems to have learned a Yang-style Tai Chi from William C.C. Chen when he turned roughly 20 or so, and he pulled a world title in the competition format of Tai Chi -- Push Hands -- at the age of 28 or so. His book describes the 2004 tournament and beating Taiwanese teams who'd trained in the art from childhood, including a fortysomething guy who he barely held off.

Admittedly Waitzkin didn't have to hold down a job and concentrated just on Tai Chi for a good four years or so if I understand his story right, but do we think this is natural aptitude by Waitzkin, a somewhat artificial tournament environment, concentrated study, something else? (And I might note even Waitzkin freely admits to adopting throws from other styles into the art.)

Practiced Taiji for the martial art aspect in a class of 50+ aged seniors when I was a teen. It was the best decision ever, due to the relaxing/awareness portion of it.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 07-06-2017

Quote: (06-24-2017 01:01 AM)kinjutsu Wrote:  

Right off the bat the victim shouldn't have looked away from the attacker. His back should have been somewhat towards the wall/corner under the camera as to be able to see both people in the atm room. This goes hand in hand with situational awareness that needs to be taught. From my perspective some guy fidgeting with something in his hand standing within 3 feet from me is sending sirens off in my head. I would've probably left the atm if i saw him doing that.

The victim should have gone for the knife hand no matter what. In that situation there isn't much he could've done to avoid the first strike, but after he should've closed the gap and isolated the knife hand/arm and keep it from being used again. Smash it against the wall or floor or his knee. Something/anything to break the grip.

Once the knife hits the ground the victim could've ran away and the attacker would have to make the choice to chase him without the knife or go get the knife but lose to the head start.
(when the attack starts it impossible to know if he was the intended target or just a by stander in the way)

There's almost no version of this scenario is which i would recommend the guy stay and fight.

Excellent points!

Here are mine:

1. In China, no one walks around with two hands on a newspaper or magazine outside! Massive red flag right there. If this were South Korea? Eh.. sure. China? No.....

2. In China, ATM machines are in cramped spots and Chinese people get too close (pickpocket issues). Knowing the environment goes a massively long way towards being safe. It is much better to go inside the bank itself where there is always a guard or two inside. They would have noticed dude with that magazine easily.

3. Like Kinjutsu stated. Never take your eyes off others, especially around money in general. I myself quarter turned towards the door in the USA, when I am in the process of using the ATM, if the bank is closed. That way I can see a thug running up to the door quickly and not be distracted by the screen on the machine. Tunnel vision is what fucks people.

4. Several people inside the ATM machine area? Stay outside the doors and wait for some to leave first.

5. I like to stand all the way in the back and give the users on the machine plenty of room, privacy, and to also have a wall to my back. I have my pistol but even if I was not armed, that gives me a tactical advantage because I can see everything going on inside in front of me.

6. Had the guy been watching, he would have seen the knife. If you see someone drawing a large kitchen knife or a machete out, rush them. Do not hesitate. It's better to knock down a down on mistake, say you are sorry and leave, than take that risk.

7. Legs are your best friend in a knife attack. If you see them coming with the knife because you were watching, use push kicks to create distance, ruin their balance, and pivot around to get out the door. Your hands getting cut is better than a stab in the neck, so stick those out if you are not well trained yet, and continue push kicks until you can get to the door. Never turn your back to a knife attacker. Side steps and pivot backwards only.

Every place is different. I'm sure Ringo could tell us all about how 2 Brazilian dudes on a motorbike wearing helmets with dark visors is a que to move out the way or run. Same goes for Dominican Republic.

Dudes in cars waiting in a parking lot aisle watching others, but not parked is a dead giveaway in the US that those dudes are not up to any good.

Something that applies everywhere in the world. You see some dude running at full speed, you run too. Be like black people. After you get far away, ask someone why that person was running. If nothing was going on, fuck it. No biggie [Image: lol.gif]

Learn your environment.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 07-06-2017

Quote: (06-24-2017 06:33 AM)Parzival Wrote:  

I had my second Hapkido lesson. First I want to join Jiu Jitsu but there had be nothing in my area. I also want to switch from boxing to get a wilder field of options. After two lessons you can't say much. I got some basic drills, how to escape when someone grab my wrist, we did train some kicks and some rolls. The instructor said, at the moment they prepare for the next belts so for beginners it will be better to start in September. Anyway I like it so far and catch what I can.

Differences to boxing:
They focus a way more on kicks - obvious
This means a lot of stretching. I do regular stretching anyway because I know I'm not so flexible. Some kicks are more easy then others. Mostly its lack of flexibility and body coordination. From stamina and strength I see no issues.
Also the way they train is less physical challenging then boxing. Their "hard" warm up don't bother me at all. Also when we do the drills its first often just 3 or 4 of kick A, then other side, then Kick B and so on. After we did some partner practice. Compare to boxing, it all goes a way slower and with more technical possibilities you can't focus on one alone till it improve. Therefore I will keep my gym and my stamina training, also keep the boxing in mind and catch new techniques to improve my motion of possibilities.

Parzival that is a very strange combination of MA to train. The philosophies of both somewhat contradict each other. You may struggle to make both work together.

If I were you, pairing Hapkido to TKD, Any style of Kickboxing, JJ, Aikido, Kenpo/kempo, Karate, Tang So Do, similar would work better than boxing.

Boxing and Folkstyle/Freestyle/Greco Roman wrestling pairs so well together because neither interfere with each other tactically or philosophically. You can switch between them very fluidly. Actually you can use them together. That is why most NCAA wrestlers that go the MMA route tend to jump into boxing right away instead of Muay Thai or Kickboxing. The kickboxing messes them up footwork wise for takedowns and makes them hesitate for no good reason.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - kinjutsu - 07-13-2017

They released this trailer today and i thought it would be a good topic to discuss.

I wonder how much truth there will be in this movie compared to what has been discussed in this thread about Bruce Lee.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 07-17-2017

Just looked at the trailer and this shit looks like a hot mess of junk. Inspired by True Events scrolled across the screen around the beginning. That means they took liberties with the real story, as a Canadian would say.

They make Jack seem like some racist bigot or something. Nobody knows that. I would not be surprised if his family sues the studio for that. Jack fought Bruce for his big mouth primarily. Remember Bruce dissed pretty much any Chinese kungfu master anywhere in the world back then. The popular narrative that they did not like him teaching whites or non-Chinese might be true to some degree (Many Chinese had very racist attitudes back in those days), but at that time Bruce was mixing up kung fu with all kinds of other styles. That shit was not Chinese gong fu by that time at all. In my opinion, his mouth got him killed. They would not have sent a killer to get him had he been humble and respectful to everyone. Bruce was anything but that. Also recall he beat up some of those masters in duels and gloated about that hardcore, before that Jack fight.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 07-25-2017

Hey fellas,

I came across this very interesting video from this UK guy, that has several schools worldwide. All you guys in Canada, AUS, and the UK should especially check to see if there is a school nearby you, if you have concerns about your safety and want real world training.

Ignore the click bait title, the entire video is VERY interesting. I don't agree with his philosophy on everything, but mindset wise he is extremely on point and I get a good vibe from them. Based on the last few pages, this guy's schools would cover what many of you were asking about. He basically offers the new-style CQC. Borderline Special Ops level stuff minus the killing obviously. They truly understand the concepts. He discusses Risk, Threat, and Crisis management and solutions. This is bang on stuff.