Roosh V Forum
TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+---- Forum: Fitness (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-6.html)
+---- Thread: TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet (/thread-56561.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 01-02-2017

Quote: (01-02-2017 06:11 AM)Leonard D Neubache Wrote:  

For a forum dedicated to patriarchal right wing bigots who espouse mindless violence and only see life through the prism of primitive dominance it comes as no surprise that no mention has yet been made of the most enlightened and powerful form of self defence.

Yellow Bamboo.

The long-weekend training course in this mystic art was intensive to say the least, but I can claim with certainty that I am every bit as powerful as the practitioners you see here.

I don't want to pick apart Travelerkai's hard work, but none of the martial arts he listed are complete in the true sense of the word. If you jump straight to 6:20 of the video above you will see that Yellow Bamboo is the only discipline that allows you to defeat your enemy even after he or she appears to have defeated you. This footage was taken early on the first day of the course and so Miranda was still finding her centre of power but rest assured she was every bit as powerful as the rest of us by Tuesday.

Travelerkai, brother of the mortal realm, I understand that this might be hard to take in. You have wasted many years down a dark path. These revelations will likely trigger in you a deep sense of resentment and bitterness. Know that I am sending you much positive energy to help balance your yang in this dark time for you.

In any case, as the ancient Hindu monks of Kilimanjaro would say,

Dosvedanya

[Image: 5J4wBxE.gif]

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - cascadecombo - 01-02-2017

I am slightly confused, is Lenny here trying to surpasses our forums top troll?

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 01-02-2017

Quote: (01-02-2017 01:23 PM)cascadecombo Wrote:  

I am slightly confused, is Lenny here trying to surpasses our forums top troll?

He does not write well enough to beat out Suits for that title. Hence the Mutombo finger.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Parzival - 01-02-2017

Quote: (12-30-2016 10:45 AM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

but no one knows he kicked fruit trees in Thailand for a good long while.

I like Kickboxer.

So this month I will check out the Jiu Jitsu here in my area to learn all the deadly moves. At the moment I get more into Qigong as well. Let's see where it gets me.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TTQQTT - 01-03-2017

I've got a question. How can you train your "flow" when you spar or fight? I've watched Lomachenko (and many other elite fighters) and he looks like he can see the opponent in slow motion. Can you improve and be in that state (the zone, or whatever it's called) or is it natural?

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 01-03-2017

Quote: (01-03-2017 03:06 AM)TTQQTT Wrote:  

I've got a question. How can you train your "flow" when you spar or fight? I've watched Lomachenko (and many other elite fighters) and he looks like he can see the opponent in slow motion. Can you improve and be in that state (the zone, or whatever it's called) or is it natural?

For sparring that depends on your trainers more than anything. Rhythms and patterns vary by camp. I have a slightly heavy Vale Tudo style of sparring and running camp. I train guys with music and we do pad work and spar on rhythms. Brazilian style basically.

During an actual match, you fight like you spar rhythm wise. Rhythm fighters only real weakness is a fighter that does not fight like that and disrupts their flow deliberately. (Messing with their footwork, lots of jabs, etc.)

The counter against this is to either have presence of mind to ignore that, or fight with multiple rhythms. Guy kicked my leg hard from underneath me and I switched my stance to avoid combos? Ok, now I got my Merengue-rhythm going, and I can get comfortable like this. When I switch back to my dominant foot again, I go back to my original rhythm.

Outside of this, flow comes down to experience, training, comfort, and hand eye coordination.

Me personally, I think all fighters should fight with a good rhythm. All the greats do. If you watch enough film, you can see that. If you been in dojos or gyms with good fighters, they usually have music of whatever they love (metal, rap, latin, etc.) and they align themselves with that vibe.

I have never had a question like this before. Felt weird writing about it to be honest. This is just something we have always done, but do not think about.

Good question!

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Mekorig - 01-04-2017

TravelerKai, excellent datasheet and very interesting thread. W&f is the not the board i visit the most, but i have to say that the good amount of information in this thread amazes me.

Now, i am in a kind of a crossroad, and i need your advice guys. After a very complicated 2016 were i focused almost exclusively in my legal formation and work, i have found that my phisical aspect is, to say in a way, seriously lacking. I have tried going to the gym in the past, but doing just cardio or machines gets really boring in the long run, so i decided to do a martial art to boost my interest in the physical training. So, i am pointing for physical fitness with the plus of getting some self-defense training. My option for now are boxing in a local gym, or Choy Le Fut in a near dojo. I did some Choy Le Fut +10 years ago, but it was a negible amount of training (little less than a year). What do you recomend. I am 34 years old btw.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 01-06-2017

Quote: (01-04-2017 02:17 PM)Mekorig Wrote:  

TravelerKai, excellent datasheet and very interesting thread. W&f is the not the board i visit the most, but i have to say that the good amount of information in this thread amazes me.

Now, i am in a kind of a crossroad, and i need your advice guys. After a very complicated 2016 were i focused almost exclusively in my legal formation and work, i have found that my phisical aspect is, to say in a way, seriously lacking. I have tried going to the gym in the past, but doing just cardio or machines gets really boring in the long run, so i decided to do a martial art to boost my interest in the physical training. So, i am pointing for physical fitness with the plus of getting some self-defense training. My option for now are boxing in a local gym, or Choy Le Fut in a near dojo. I did some Choy Le Fut +10 years ago, but it was a negible amount of training (little less than a year). What do you recomend. I am 34 years old btw.

You should send me a PM with your location so that I can look for more options, if possible. If you have Chinese Gong Fu near you and boxing, it's possible you have overlooked other things around you.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Wala - 01-09-2017

TravelerKai, whats your take on weightlifting to improve one's jiu jitsu? Ever since seriously training jiu jitsu i stopped all weightlifting but am thinking about starting again to help me in competition. Is it worth it, and are there any specific lifts you would recommend that are tailored towards improving jiu jitsu technique?

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Ringo - 01-09-2017

Quote: (01-09-2017 12:54 AM)Wala Wrote:  

TravelerKai, whats your take on weightlifting to improve one's jiu jitsu? Ever since seriously training jiu jitsu i stopped all weightlifting but am thinking about starting again to help me in competition. Is it worth it, and are there any specific lifts you would recommend that are tailored towards improving jiu jitsu technique?

TK touched on the subject back on page 6:

Quote: (08-12-2016 08:55 AM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

Quote: (08-11-2016 10:24 AM)Ringo Wrote:  

Thanks for the thoughtful reply and great thread. +1.

I already do plenty of what you mentioned (not mixing lifting and sparring, peaking, taking short breaks). The 30-60min stretching and flow sessions also include yoga - I do them at the park and try to get some approaches in afterwards, so I guess I'm on the right track [Image: icon_lol.gif].

I could definitely use the fish oil and more careful review of my own training footage - I love seeing matches on YouTube but I haven't watched myself spar more than a couple of times.

Not sure if you posted about this before, but could you elaborate on your recommendation of S&C? Curious how you incorporate ropes and kettlebells.

I've posted about Steve Maxwell a few times before. I'm really into his stuff - slower tempo and bodyweight exercises, a lot of mobility work, KBs. He focuses on longevity and movement.

I'm a tall, lanky, generally weak guy so for now I'm focusing on strength. I try to keep it very simple, 3x/week, few exercises:
Quote: (08-05-2016 11:29 AM)Ringo Wrote:  

I lift 3x/week and do BJJ 3x/week. Only 3 sets of RPT weighted pullups/RPT press/20-rep light squats or 100 pushups/RPT heavy rows/20-rep light squats, with some curls and triceps extensions 1x/week. All my lifts went way up, bodyweight increased a bit and I feel and look better overall.

Strength and Conditioning is a REALLY big topic. You could easily write a datasheet 10X longer than mine just to cover the basics. There is a reason why guys watch dudes like Elliot Hulse, etc. on Youtube and these guys have 100K+ subscribers.

Fortunately, for BJJ it can be broken down into smaller parts.

1. Neck

2. Core

3. Legs

4. Wrists/hands/forearms

5. Back

Those are the areas of concentration you are going to want above average strength in.

The neck, core, back, and leg exercises will help you bridge faster and get heavier guys off you from a mount. You have to be able to "explode" and push off into transitions. This will be key for you to master to get from Purple to Brown belt.

As for which methods are best, I honestly do not have a huge opinion on. Weight training or without doesn't matter. Olympic sets and pyramids are both good, in my opinion. I never had a preference and I did everything from bench press and squats, to pushups and good ol fashioned horse stance with buckets. I mixed it up to avoid getting bored or frustrated.

Kettlebells in my opinion should be damn near mandatory for BJJ guys. I did not get better from purple -> black until I started fucking with them. Your pull and yank strength will go way up. You will work muscles you do not work as often.

Put it this way. When you are strong enough that you can pull a guy's hands off your gi with 3 fingers instead of your entire hand, you save ALOT of energy. Doing big strategic moves, with minimal movement requirements, is very advanced stuff.

Energy saving is a huge deal in BJJ when you get to higher belt levels. Unless you are in a tournament, you will not be rolling with dudes your exact weight. So to get better you almost have to get serious about S&C workout sets, so that you can get access to higher instruction from your teacher as well as belt rank.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Wala - 01-09-2017

^ Thanks for that

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 01-09-2017

If either you or Ringo want to go into specifics for these things, let me know. I have some limits obviously. I am not the Freddy Roach of S&C training. If I was I would probably stay in the fight biz. Hell I might not know more than the Hodge Twins on that, I have no idea what they know honestly, but I will let you know if I know it or not, or I will find someone on Youtube that does. If all else fails we will ask George Saint Pierre or Randy Couture for advice [Image: tongue.gif]

Me personally I always stuck to S&C for BJJ/MMA stuff and never did it for the general aspect. Same thing when I did Chinese Martial Arts. I tended to keep it traditional (Iron fist conditioning, etc.. Honestly I cannot tell you if S&C for everything is better or keeping it specific. It doesn't hurt, but unless you are pretty much maxed on technique (black belt, high level experience, etc.), you still need time to learn your craft.

Too much fitness training takes time away from learning and sparring(rolling). It's kinda like that paradox with NFL players. Some of them do alot of stuff in the off season that is not football but helps them get stronger and more fit. Then there is that adage, "The only way you get better at playing football, is by playing football." Which is definitely true. That said, looking at James Harrison from the Pittsburgh Steelers, you can see what doing more can do for your body.

You will only get better at BJJ by rolling with better BJJ guys. That said, having an edge makes it easier to come out on top. Gotta find that balance.

On a side note: Ron Williams on Youtube is awesome. He's kinda quirky but that old brother has some very solid tips on little stuff that makes a huge difference. Like his video on "Stop Doing Dips".

Either way, I will be on the move for a week or so pretty soon so if you guys have questions, get em in before Wednesday, otherwise it might take a week from there to respond.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - SegaSaturn1994 - 01-10-2017

Quote: (01-09-2017 10:14 AM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

If either you or Ringo want to go into specifics for these things, let me know. I have some limits obviously. I am not the Freddy Roach of S&C training. If I was I would probably stay in the fight biz. Hell I might not know more than the Hodge Twins on that, I have no idea what they know honestly, but I will let you know if I know it or not, or I will find someone on Youtube that does. If all else fails we will ask George Saint Pierre or Randy Couture for advice [Image: tongue.gif]

Me personally I always stuck to S&C for BJJ/MMA stuff and never did it for the general aspect. Same thing when I did Chinese Martial Arts. I tended to keep it traditional (Iron fist conditioning, etc.. Honestly I cannot tell you if S&C for everything is better or keeping it specific. It doesn't hurt, but unless you are pretty much maxed on technique (black belt, high level experience, etc.), you still need time to learn your craft.

Too much fitness training takes time away from learning and sparring(rolling). It's kinda like that paradox with NFL players. Some of them do alot of stuff in the off season that is not football but helps them get stronger and more fit. Then there is that adage, "The only way you get better at playing football, is by playing football." Which is definitely true. That said, looking at James Harrison from the Pittsburgh Steelers, you can see what doing more can do for your body.

You will only get better at BJJ by rolling with better BJJ guys. That said, having an edge makes it easier to come out on top. Gotta find that balance.

On a side note: Ron Williams on Youtube is awesome. He's kinda quirky but that old brother has some very solid tips on little stuff that makes a huge difference. Like his video on "Stop Doing Dips".

Either way, I will be on the move for a week or so pretty soon so if you guys have questions, get em in before Wednesday, otherwise it might take a week from there to respond.
If I could ban an exercise, I would rather ban deadlifts or squats or even bent over rows. Dips allow you to keep a neutral spine and there is no spinal loading worth mentioning. Never heard of anyone's arm or snapping because of a dip but people have died failing bench presses. In any case, you can live with a bad shoulder or elbow just fine but once your back goes out, you'll be on egg shells for the rest of your life given how the spine connects to the sciatic nerve, which is the largest nerve in the body. The pain a person can experience from having this nerve irritated is not helped by the strongest drugs (morphine etc.) in bad cases. This I base on extensive experience.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - kinjutsu - 01-11-2017

Quote: (01-10-2017 03:23 PM)SegaSaturn1994 Wrote:  

If I could ban an exercise, I would rather ban deadlifts or squats or even bent over rows. Dips allow you to keep a neutral spine and there is no spinal loading worth mentioning. Never heard of anyone's arm or snapping because of a dip but people have died failing bench presses. In any case, you can live with a bad shoulder or elbow just fine but once your back goes out, you'll be on egg shells for the rest of your life given how the spine connects to the sciatic nerve, which is the largest nerve in the body. The pain a person can experience from having this nerve irritated is not helped by the strongest drugs (morphine etc.) in bad cases. This I base on extensive experience.

Please don't provide input on a subject you have clearly demonstrated you are against.
All the lifts and movements you listed are viable as a way to stay fit. The only way you can get injured is by doing these things incorrectly.
Most of the guys reading this forum are intelligent enough to research something they are uninformed about...because this entire forum is about learning a sharing information.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Leonard D Neubache - 01-11-2017

Having pinched a disk in my spine on several occasions (due to shitty real-world lifting techniques) I look at some weights routines and shudder. That's not to say they're incorrect. But anyone who's injured their back should not do any seemingly dangerous lifts without first getting some advice from a professional physiotherapist. Preferably one that that knows their way around a gym.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Rocha - 01-11-2017

I found an alternative to squating heavy weights in the barbell that works out for me, and whithout putting the same pressure on the spine. So now instead of squating 10 reps x 5 sets x 100kg (on a good day), I just squat holding a 53 pounder (24 kg) kettlebell with both hands between my legs, but quick 20 reps x 5 sets. The effect I feel on the legs is more or less the same as with the barbell.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - H1N1 - 01-11-2017

Here is an excellent resource for learning how to perform the big 3 lifts, safely. http://strengtheory.com/guides/

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Ringo - 01-11-2017

Good video on the double leg.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 01-11-2017

Quote: (01-11-2017 01:36 AM)kinjutsu Wrote:  

Quote: (01-10-2017 03:23 PM)SegaSaturn1994 Wrote:  

Please don't provide input on a subject you have clearly demonstrated you are against.
All the lifts and movements you listed are viable as a way to stay fit. The only way you can get injured is by doing these things incorrectly.
Most of the guys reading this forum are intelligent enough to research something they are uninformed about...because this entire forum is about learning a sharing information.

Here is the video I mentioned. His point is that there are better workouts you can do to get the same results, without putting that nasty pressure on your shoulder.

Good deal calling him out. He's one of the worst trolls on the forum. We may have to create a martial arts/fitness troll rule.

Quote: (01-11-2017 09:15 AM)Rocha Wrote:  

I found an alternative to squating heavy weights in the barbell that works out for me, and whithout putting the same pressure on the spine. So now instead of squating 10 reps x 5 sets x 100kg (on a good day), I just squat holding a 53 pounder (24 kg) kettlebell with both hands between my legs, but quick 20 reps x 5 sets. The effect I feel on the legs is more or less the same as with the barbell.

Good post Rocha. This is why kettlebells are vastly underrated in fitness. They can give gains no other convention style can give without the risks.

The only risky workout involving kettlebells would be the hard throwing ones, and you don't have to even do those.

Quote: (01-11-2017 09:56 AM)H1N1 Wrote:  

Here is an excellent resource for learning how to perform the big 3 lifts, safely. http://strengtheory.com/guides/

Regardless of how many back injuries I have had, I still do all 3 of these lifts. I know how to do them correctly and my back problems came from other things, not these lifts. So if I can do them, anyone else can as well.

Quote: (01-11-2017 10:35 AM)Ringo Wrote:  

I have some issues with the video. I'll break it down after I run some errands. You'll like it.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Ringo - 01-11-2017

Quote: (01-11-2017 11:35 AM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

I have some issues with the video. I'll break it down after I run some errands. You'll like it.

[Image: popcorn3.gif]

Quote: (01-11-2017 11:42 AM)Ringo Wrote:  

Quote: (01-11-2017 11:35 AM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

[Image: popcorn3.gif]

OK so this video would classify as the Generic MMA style everyone does these days. If I showed this to some Greco and Freestyle guys I know, they would be laughing at this video.

Not only is his technique for double legs wrong in general, but he misses out on advanced elements of DLT.

1. @ 1:00 mark, he discusses the right posture. Sure that is a text book kinda a way to do it, but in reality, you need to be more upright to avoid getting knee'd the fuck into a concussion. The diving kind works when the rules favor it. DLT, is HEAVILY dependent on the rules of the match. In the street, it's one of the riskiest things you could ever do without being up close in a clinching proximity. In some venues, elbows are not allowed against a DLT. Same goes for knees. Back in the day, some places only allowed open hand slaps, like Pancrase league.

2. @2:45 mark, he discusses planting the lead knee. He did it from a distance and at a down angle. That is wrong of course, but knee planting is actually for dropping down from clinch. It's a straight down drop. GSP and Randy Couture have done it that way because it's not really blockable or it's almost sprawl proof. While he put his hand near his face to block in case a strike, he did not explain that on the video, which could have been number 7 honestly.

3. The biggest offense of all is that he does not pinch the legs together. You can casually lift a white belt or a untrained stranger in the street like that maybe. The whole point of double leg is to actually capture both legs, not let them flail around in the air. You would never lift a pro or college level wrestler like that without securing the legs, he would sprawl way too fast. Always collapse the knees together. Use your elbow and forearm. The JJ advanced method is to use your elbow and forearm against their MCL (it's a pressure point). Very powerful/painful, so be careful using that against your teammates.

Other things he fails to mention, that exist from a BJJ standpoint is that you should always be ready to switch into a leg trip when attempting a DLT. Another thing he left out is ankle picks. If the guy pulls away, grab his ankles and finish the takedown.

I used to give clinics on DLT and SLT. I could talk about this all day long. When you add Judo into the equation it gets even more intense. Judo is the anathema to wrestling more or less, but even they can teach you a lesson on several things.

One of the scariest things about DLT, is if you get caught sideways or from behind. The reason why is because coming down is going to be super painful. Ever see a TKD or a Karate guy get lifted after whiffing on a side kick or a snap kick? The grappler just side steps and lifts them. That is a knockout because you cannot even break the fall with your arms. They are 100% defenseless.

Anyway, this guy you can tell is one of those BJJ guys that never learned any grappling outside the MMA gym. You can tell by his posture he has a serious lack of lower body and back strength a wrestler would have. If you do BJJ, do yourself a favor. Go find some collegiate wrestlers and ask to roll with them. Find some Judoka and roll with them as well. Only then will you see that you are probably doing bastardized versions of what they do and only then can you see your weaknesses as a grappler in general.

Well rounded grapplers know/study more than one style of grappling. Some of those top BJJ champion level professionals usually know 2 or 3 grappling styles, or their BJJ/GJJ lineage has bad ass instruction that teaches correctly. Antonio Nogueira is a greco/freestyle wrestler. GSP wrestles with the Canadian Olympic Team for his camps. That's why no one can hold his ass down in the octagon. He practices with world class wrestlers. You don't get any better than that. Olympic class wrestlers are some of the strongest men on Earth.

When you are rolling in a BJJ tournament then use freestyle or folkstyle on a guy and dump him on his head, you will get his attention really quickly. Being able to switch into other styles on command, makes your ground game truly next level.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Ringo - 01-12-2017

^ Great post as usual.

I can't thank you enough for all the knowledge you drop in this thread.

So to capture both legs during the takedown aro you connecting hands? Or just using the the forearms to break the posture behind the knees? I've seen both.

Also, the leg trip you're talking about is something like this? (00:50)

I guess you could also do an inside hook, but I couldn't find a good video on it.