Roosh V Forum
Cord Cutting: Cable TV Alternatives - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Cord Cutting: Cable TV Alternatives (/thread-46211.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Cord Cutting: Cable TV Alternatives - Drazen - 12-14-2016

I cut the Cord on my Direct TV last month ($105 a month) and signed up for Direct TV now ($35 promo plan w/ free Apple TV), so far so good. Mainly got it to keep up with sports on ESPN, TNT and NBA TV, but I like that they have the actual BBC World News feed on it as well.

I have Hulu + Netflix as well, but I only keep Netflix for my parents to use. I do like Hulu, they have good content on it.

There's also this thing called "PLEX" where you can log into your friend's media libraries and stream their content. I have a friend with a ton of movies on there like hundreds of them, stuff that's not even out on BluRay/Digital yet. Don't really have the patience to do all this Bitorrent stuff, so its a pretty easy solution. Let them do it and reap the rewards.

Cord Cutting: Cable TV Alternatives - Kid Twist - 12-15-2016

Quote: (12-13-2016 03:08 PM)GrapeApe Wrote:  

You can bittorrent anything you want except live sports and local news. Bonus that it's all commercial free.

If you are at all proficient with kodi, you can get any show ever created.

Live sports and tv are the trick, but you can get those too. It's just potentially an issue, and possibly not HD, but hey, it's free.

Cord Cutting: Cable TV Alternatives - tomtud - 12-15-2016

If you have a relative or friend who has an extra tv receiver box, then connect a sling box to it. It steams to any smart phone, tv or laptop. Caveat being, is that if you happen to connect it to the tv they are watching, then you will watch what they are too. The sling box enables you to watch your tv anywhere in the world you want.

Cord Cutting: Cable TV Alternatives - Cattle Rustler - 12-16-2016

For some reason I like having cable because I can explore new things and watch things I didn't watch before. It's something about knowing when something is going to come up that I like. Netflix does not have as good content nowadays compared to before.

While I don't have five 10 buck subscriptions, I know a few folks who talk about cutting the cord but then subscribe to many different things and forget they are even paying for them.

I do have some agreements with friends, I'll share my HBO ("free" with my cable package) subscription if they share Showtime or Starz.

No worries Turnus, it's cool homie. I was hoping it would get extended, no one knew until when it would be available. I couldn't afford it when it first came out but that subscription pretty much paid for itself....you could sell it on ebay and the money back.

Also, I torrent everything.

Cord Cutting: Cable TV Alternatives - Ivanis - 12-16-2016

We have cable, however I rarely watch it. I have a VPN, a good computer, and thepiratebay.com. That's all I need. But there is also Netflix and all that stuff.

Cord Cutting: Cable TV Alternatives - joost - 12-16-2016

For movies, you can torrent the latest ones that come in BlueRay or WEBDL (Web Rip) before it reaches any subscription service. Download them to your external HD and use Infuse 4 to your Apple TV.

For TV shows, you can download the latest ones but for older ones it is more difficult since there is less seeders (people sharing the content on torrent). For that case, you can subscribe to Hulu.

If you want to just browse channels, you might go to Youtube/Vimeo on your Apple TV. Maybe some surf channels, VICE documentaries...

With internet you have access to everything for free. You pay if you want convenience.

Cord Cutting: Cable TV Alternatives - John Michael Kane - 12-16-2016

I'll throw Kodi in there. Not the easiest out-of-the-box solution, but still has plenty of content. I also put in a vote for the Roku if you want something that is plug and play. I'm getting tremendous personal value out of great Youtube subscriptions. Youtube is a gold mine if you don't get distracted. Great content for business ideas, inspiration and so forth. It is my defacto TV station.

Cord Cutting: Cable TV Alternatives - DJ-Matt - 12-17-2016

Stream2watch.co is the place to go for pirate sports streaming.

Cord Cutting: Cable TV Alternatives - Cattle Rustler - 12-17-2016

I believe the word we use around these neck of the woods is "borrow".....because we are law abiding men who would never pirate content.

Cord Cutting: Cable TV Alternatives - presidentcarter - 12-18-2016

I heard through a friend that there are sites that reliably stream any tv channel, show, movie, or live sporting event without the need to download anything. He said he's been using them for years in various countries on a mac with no trouble. Although, if you've got a big tv and have a girl over, it is a nice look to have something legit to use (ie netflix).

Cord Cutting: Cable TV Alternatives - kbell - 01-07-2017

http://www.techhive.com/article/3154268/...nnels.html

A new device allows 4k streaming with free over the air channels and professional installation.

Cord Cutting: Cable TV Alternatives - lowbudgetballer - 03-21-2017

Kodi through a GOO BANG DOO box. There are others. . .

'baller

Cord Cutting: Cable TV Alternatives - Kid Twist - 03-21-2017

goo bang doo?

Cord Cutting: Cable TV Alternatives - Huey - 03-21-2017

I use Sling TV + Netflix. Totals to about $30/mo.

Cord Cutting: Cable TV Alternatives - sonoran_ - 03-21-2017

can confirm have been using KODI for a while now. Once inside KODI download Exodus and you can watch basically any English TV/movie

Cord Cutting: Cable TV Alternatives - DJ-Matt - 03-21-2017

Playstation Vue is another alternative new on the scene:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/channels/

Cord Cutting: Cable TV Alternatives - YossariansRight - 03-21-2017

I canceled my cable going on a year ago. And I don't miss it at all. Paying to be insulted and force fed propaganda? Fuck that.

I bought an OTA antenna for $8.50 and pick up 40+ stations, many in HD. Even at that, I don't watch anything. But at least I'm not enriching The Left

I'll pay myself the $100+ a month.

Cord Cutting: Cable TV Alternatives - DJ-Matt - 03-22-2017

Quote: (03-21-2017 04:37 PM)YossariansRight Wrote:  

I canceled my cable going on a year ago. And I don't miss it at all. Paying to be insulted and force fed propaganda? Fuck that.

I bought an OTA antenna for $8.50 and pick up 40+ stations, many in HD. Even at that, I don't watch anything. But at least I'm not enriching The Left

I'll pay myself the $100+ a month.

I might turn on Sling TV again to watch KC Royals games this summer, but otherwise I'm getting all my stuff for free OTA or off the internet or Amazon (prime).

My RV has an awesome TV antenna and has the advantage of being high off the ground also so it pulls in a ton of stations. Since it's always parked at the house when not in use I figured out a way to back-feed the signal coming from the antenna.

This is a picture of the amp/splitter box for the roof antenna:
[Image: attachment.jpg36137]   

I just plugged the wire going into "CABLE TV IN" (which is a coax that goes all the way to the back and outside the RV for external Cable TV at some campsites) into the "TV 2 OUT", making the coax on the outside live with the TV signal, from there I run a short cable to the house and patch into the wiring going to the TV inside.

If you want to install your own antenna at home, this one is a bargain price and is fantastic at pulling in stations, only $20 for free TV:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/35661...TV_Antenna

Cord Cutting: Cable TV Alternatives - Chowder Head - 03-22-2017

A cool add-on for Kodi.

Cord Cutting: Cable TV Alternatives - lowbudgetballer - 03-25-2017

Quote: (03-21-2017 02:36 PM)Kid Twist Wrote:  

goo bang doo?

https://www.amazon.com/goobang-doo-Elect...bang%20doo

Cord Cutting: Cable TV Alternatives - Vaun - 04-11-2017

Here is my set up before:
$160/mo ATT cell phone - full package, unlimited data/phone/text
$40/mo Apple care protection plan
$55/mo Verizon Myfy
$125/mo Time Warner cable - basic package and 100mbs internet
9.00/mo Netflix
99.00/year Amazon Prime
$402/mo total

Here is my set up after, as of last week:
$125/Mo - ATT - unlimited cell, myfy, cable TV(HBO) using Apple TV
$40/mo Apple care protection plan
$45/mo - Spectrum(Time Warner), 100mbs
9/mo Netflix
8/mo Amazon Prime
$270/mo total

$132 Savings Per month.

A few things:

I use an HD Antenna for my local live TV. If I wanted to save another $50/mo, I could cut the cable out of the ATT plan and just go ATT phone, spectrum internet, iTunes and Netflix.

My cell bill was a legacy bill, that is why it was so high. I havent paid my own cell bill in several years, its always expensed by work.

I am trying to decide if I should get rid of the Apple Care plan. I can upgrade phones at any time, I am not under any contract and my iPhone 7 is totally paid off. I also have the ATT insurance. If I lose or damage my phone, all I have to do is walk into an Apple or ATT store, and I have a new phone no questions asked.

Spectrum has been calling me several times a day to try and upsell me into their packages. ATT is crushing them in my market. I would like to find alternatives for internet to Spectrum, but aside from Satellite, I am not sure it exists.

**To add, I dont watch a lot of movies, and have to really work to sit down and watch something longer than 30 minutes, without flipping open my laptop.

Would love to hear any thoughts.

Cord Cutting: Cable TV Alternatives - Parras - 08-04-2018

Anybody ever heard of Firestick?

Apparantly you can get all the channels out there.

Im paying way to much for my Dish network when really I only watch 2 channels. (ESPN and Fox Sports)

Any advice?

Cord Cutting: Cable TV Alternatives - Sidney Crosby - 08-04-2018

I bought an MX10 Android box off Amazon, the box itself is fine but when I tried setting it up I couldn't get anything to work on Kodi. I took it to some guy advertising on craigslist and he got everything sorted out. Now I can get live TV, new release movies, thousands of TV series from any country I want.

It's not perfect and it can be a pain to go through some of the menus but it's pretty good now, I would highly recommend everyone to buy one. Buy one of a guy that has it all set up for you with all the right programs, this guy did a super clean install and it looks and operates similar to Netflix.

For people that are travelling the thing is so small I can easily take it with me and all you need is half decent internet and an HDMI cable.

Cord Cutting: Cable TV Alternatives - Dodgy - 08-05-2018

Quote: (08-04-2018 03:47 PM)Parras Wrote:  

Anybody ever heard of Firestick?

Apparantly you can get all the channels out there.

Im paying way to much for my Dish network when really I only watch 2 channels. (ESPN and Fox Sports)

Any advice?

Yeah, Firestick has been around for awhile and there's a good amount of information on how to use it and the apps it supports. Basically you download and install the apps on the stick. These apps are Netflix, HBO Go, ESPN, etc. It's a great deal to use Netflix or Hulu, but it sucks for live sports. I had the ESPN and MLB app to watch College and Monday Night Football and Baseball and always encountered interruptions and other problems with the live stream. Recorded shows like PTI worked, but the live games were shaky.

If you want to watch live sports you're better off jailbreaking the Firestick and downloading Kodi and then purchasing one of the sports streaming packages.

Cord Cutting: Cable TV Alternatives - jabba - 08-05-2018

I cut cable earlier this year. I couldn’t identify with the programs any longer.

If you have the SmartTV plaftorm, then use Pluto for free, CBS news for free. No hardware required.

Youtube has so many documentaries. Watched a great biography on Steve Aoki the other night. I miss watching live MLB games.

I’m still better off cutting the cord and avoiding SJW MSM. Those things are distractions now.