Roosh V Forum
Computer programming lounge - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Computer programming lounge (/thread-29053.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Computer programming lounge - evilhei - 06-20-2016

Quote: (06-18-2016 02:39 PM)Ensam Wrote:  

Quote: (06-18-2016 02:29 PM)CookieDough Wrote:  

^ For everyone familiar with the Arduino IDE, you should check out the ESP8266. It is essentially an arduino with built-in W-iFi for only $4. It can host small websites or you could use your smartphone as remote-control.

If anyone has a question about it, feel free to send me a PM.

Those things are great. I use them in a lot of remote sensing/monitoring projects.

Where can you buy these things?

Computer programming lounge - Marmite - 06-20-2016

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13678

Computer programming lounge - CookieDough - 06-20-2016

^I get mine from Chinese suppliers on ebay.

Now, there are a lot of different boards around. The easiest way to start is to buy a module that already includes a voltage regulator(ESP needs 3.3V, USB delivers 5V) and a programmer. An example would be the NodeMCU.

Neil Kolban's book is a good source of information.

Computer programming lounge - chicane - 06-20-2016

I buy mine through Aliexpress. Usually in sets of 5. Lots of things available there if you are willing to wait a few weeks for delivery.

Computer programming lounge - evilhei - 06-20-2016

Quote: (06-20-2016 06:16 AM)Marmite Wrote:  

This one doesn't look like the one in the video, it has less digital I/O pins.

Computer programming lounge - Savage - 06-20-2016

Quote: (06-20-2016 07:33 AM)evilhei Wrote:  

Quote: (06-20-2016 06:16 AM)Marmite Wrote:  

This one doesn't look like the one in the video, it has less digital I/O pins.

In the video he is using something like this:

http://www.smartarduino.com/the-newest-v...94866.html

Computer programming lounge - Frank Underwood - 06-20-2016

Quote: (06-14-2016 05:14 PM)Travesty Wrote:  

snip to prevent this post from being way too long

Quote: (06-17-2016 07:13 PM)CookieDough Wrote:  

Quote: (06-17-2016 08:59 PM)Ensam Wrote:  

Quote: (06-18-2016 01:36 PM)chicane Wrote:  

Apologies for the belated replies, but thank you for these very informative posts.

I'm somewhat new to the field (CS degree, ~4 years professional experience), but over the last six months or so I've been thinking about specializing in some sub-discipline, and if so, what it should be. At my last two jobs I've used C# and Python. Neither language is going anywhere, and I know some Python consultants who make bank, but I don't know much of the how in terms of how they got started consulting, stay current, etc.

A friend actually recommended I get an ESP8266 a few weeks ago. So I think my next steps are to get one and start messing around with it, and to talk to the Python consultant guys I know a bit more about their work.

Computer programming lounge - Ensam - 06-20-2016

Quote: (06-20-2016 07:17 PM)Frank Underwood Wrote:  

Apologies for the belated replies, but thank you for these very informative posts.

I'm somewhat new to the field (CS degree, ~4 years professional experience), but over the last six months or so I've been thinking about specializing in some sub-discipline, and if so, what it should be. At my last two jobs I've used C# and Python. Neither language is going anywhere, and I know some Python consultants who make bank, but I don't know much of the how in terms of how they got started consulting, stay current, etc.

A friend actually recommended I get an ESP8266 a few weeks ago. So I think my next steps are to get one and start messing around with it, and to talk to the Python consultant guys I know a bit more about their work.

I don't think of myself as a python consultant - though that's most what I end up writing. I focus on the end needs of my clients. They have a certain business logic their trying to implement or an idea for a product. I make that happen using the tools that I have at my disposal. Python is the most versatile tool in my toolbox (which is some mix of my familiarity with it and it's flexibility) so I use it a lot but I'll use any number of other programming languages as need be. My suggestion is to figure out how to make things happen for people and then focus on selling yourself as someone who can make things happen. It pays a lot better than being the person they go to once they've already gotten to the point that they know they need a python developer specifically. I can't offer much advice on finding clients - my clients find me through my other professional activities.

Computer programming lounge - H1N1 - 07-13-2016

For those interested in the more philosophical aspects of computer science, this is a thought-provoking paper by Scott Aaronson on complexity theory, and why it perhaps deserves more attention than computability theory.

http://www.scottaaronson.com/papers/philos.pdf

Computer programming lounge - H1N1 - 08-01-2016

'There are two hard things in computer science: cache invalidation, naming things, and off by one errors.'

Ho ho ho. Nerds.

Computer programming lounge - CookieDough - 08-01-2016

A fun rant about working as a programmer. He actually gives good advice about beginning with programming at 53:30.

Computer programming lounge - GillesDeleuze - 08-02-2016

In Your opinion guys it is possible to switch from a IT helpdesk job to a web developer job?

Right now I am self studying programming and I have the chance to land a entry level helpdesk job that doesn't require any prior experience in the field

I wouldn't do this helpdesk job forever so I was wondering if I could switch after a certain time when my programming skills will be better to a junior web dev job

Do recruiters consider a IT helpdesk job a bad thing for those who want to become web developers? I am asking because these helpdesk jobs obviously have nothing to do with coding at the end of the day...

Computer programming lounge - XPQ22 - 08-02-2016

I've been writing a lot of C++ lately.

Boy, after all the new features and standards (C++0x, C++11, C++14) this language has become a real mess. C+11 feels like a new language that's more like C#, with automatic type deduction and "smart pointers", etc.

I also know straight C, Python, some Java. I've been thinking about learning a "modern" systems programming language. I know some guys who swear by Rust, and it looks seriously interesting; most of the speed of C++ without the awful semantics and legacy bullshit.

Computer programming lounge - FunkOz - 08-03-2016

Quote: (08-02-2016 10:36 AM)GillesDeleuze Wrote:  

In Your opinion guys it is possible to switch from a IT helpdesk job to a web developer job?

Right now I am self studying programming and I have the chance to land a entry level helpdesk job that doesn't require any prior experience in the field

I wouldn't do this helpdesk job forever so I was wondering if I could switch after a certain time when my programming skills will be better to a junior web dev job

Do recruiters consider a IT helpdesk job a bad thing for those who want to become web developers? I am asking because these helpdesk jobs obviously have nothing to do with coding at the end of the day...

What recruiters are going to look for is a portfolio website and a github displaying version control, code refinement,contribution to other github users projects etc.

Taking that into account, some exposure to an IT environment is better than no exposure, but what I said above is what's going to really get you a job.

What web dev self study are you doing?

Computer programming lounge - Barron - 08-04-2016

Can anybody recommend a good book, YouTube channel, website or blog (like MMM for investing/retirement) for a newbie looking to learn more about programming?

I'm an English teacher here in Kiev but I'm looking to get involved with local IT companies and coders who want more technical English lessons specific to their work. Thanks

Computer programming lounge - XPQ22 - 08-04-2016

Quote: (08-04-2016 02:40 AM)NomadofEU Wrote:  

Can anybody recommend a good book, YouTube channel, website or blog (like MMM for investing/retirement) for a newbie looking to learn more about programming?

I'm an English teacher here in Kiev but I'm looking to get involved with local IT companies and coders who want more technical English lessons specific to their work. Thanks

http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/preface.html

Python is a great language to start with, and it's also a language people do real work in for IT companies so it has practical value.

Computer programming lounge - ivansirko - 08-04-2016

Quote: (08-04-2016 06:55 AM)XPQ22 Wrote:  

http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/preface.html

Python is a great language to start with, and it's also a language people do real work in for IT companies so it has practical value.

Can also try this:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/#electrical-e...er-science

Its free to view. Coursera and Khan Academy also have free courses.

Computer programming lounge - FunkOz - 08-04-2016

There's 2 online courses I would strongly recommend if you are looking to get into coding:

CS fundamentals and python @ Udacity.
https://www.udacity.com/course/intro-to-...nce--cs101

Or this course from Harvard which goes a little deeper than Udacity, covers C, PHP, SQL, JavaScript and a lot of CS fundamentals that will set you up for further coding development:

https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-...ardx-cs50x

If you are just wanting to improve some web development skills then check out Free Code Camp, there's a lot of good press and it's great for those who learn by doing, also provide the opportunity to build up a portfolio:

https://www.freecodecamp.com

Computer programming lounge - Barron - 08-05-2016

Thanks all ^^

Computer programming lounge - dnx - 08-07-2016

teamtreehouse.
I wish I've found it earlier

Computer programming lounge - Carmichael Reid - 08-07-2016

I would recommend two books that I absolutely love. One is a popular one that will probably won't be surprising. This is "Code Complete 2" by Steve McConnell. I like this book because it is very reader friendly, with helpful diagrams. The other book, which is helping me find other creative (painting and screenwriting) and meditative (yoga and martial arts) outlets that help me solve problems much more elegantly is "Pragmatic Thinking & Learning: Refactor Your Wetware" by Andy Hunt.

Computer programming lounge - ivansirko - 08-07-2016

Pragmatic Programmer is a good book to read. Will teach you proper Software Development.
Another is the Mythical Man Month.

Computer programming lounge - Zanardi - 08-09-2016

Anybody using Pascal or Delphi?

Computer programming lounge - QCD - 09-25-2016

Quote: (06-20-2016 07:17 PM)Frank Underwood Wrote:  

Quote: (06-14-2016 05:14 PM)Travesty Wrote:  

Quote: (06-17-2016 07:13 PM)CookieDough Wrote:  

Quote: (06-17-2016 08:59 PM)Ensam Wrote:  

Quote: (06-18-2016 01:36 PM)chicane Wrote:  

What exactly do you mean by
Quote:Quote:

Neither language is going anywhere
?

Computer programming lounge - ElFlaco - 09-25-2016

Quote: (08-07-2016 01:41 PM)Carmichael Reid Wrote:  

I would recommend two books that I absolutely love. One is a popular one that will probably won't be surprising. This is "Code Complete 2" by Steve McConnell.

I'm glad to see that Code Complete has been updated. The last time I looked at the original, it promoted some programming ideas (strong/static typing) that no longer automatically apply in modern environments.

If I ever get back into large-project software development, I'll think about specializing in refactoring. It's a series of low-risk techniques for maintaining software. Maintenance is not considered sexy but there is pride is doing it well. It's harder than it looks.