Roosh V Forum
Anybody here own a firearm? - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Anybody here own a firearm? (/thread-23927.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Anybody here own a firearm? - weambulance - 05-23-2016

Quote: (05-22-2016 08:44 AM)HermeticAlly Wrote:  

Hey guys,

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to guns, and can't recall ever firing anything more dangerous than a paintball gun. Never had any real aversion to it, I've just lacked opportunities/desire to learn until now. What's the best way to go about learning to shoot? Should I find a class/instructor? And what's a good resource about learning gun stuff and finding what's right for me? (Besides, of course, firsthand experience.)

First thing you need is some basic safety instruction, a new shooter type class. There are loads of different classes available, offered by everyone from local ranges to the NRA.

The "Introduction to Safety & Marksmanship" course described here is the sort of thing I'm talking about. I don't know anything about that business, it's just something I found on google. The NRA "Basics of Pistol Shooting" course is another example. NRA courses are offered all over the place. It is best to get this from a professional instructor, not just anyone.

I recommend taking safety training that focuses on pistols. The reason is it's a lot easier to screw up with a pistol, by not paying attention to where it is pointed, or pointing it at yourself with your finger on the trigger. If you can safely handle a pistol, it's easy to safely handle a rifle.

It's always a good idea to take a good concealed carry class, because they talk a lot about the laws surrounding self defense with a firearm in your state. Gun laws are not correlated with common sense at all, and they can be pretty confusing, so it's best to have professional instruction on the subject.

You can usually take safety and concealed carry classes without bringing your own gun. From then on you'll need to have your own gear, but what sort of classes you should take (if any) depends on your goals.

Quote:Quote:

I'm interested for learning for recreation but also for self-defense. I'm more skeptical of collapse theory than a lot of guys around here but even I can tell that these are uncertain times and that it would be beneficial to train up.

I'm more inclined toward rifles than handguns since I think I'd prefer a weapon that's accurate and has good range. I want experience shooting before buying anything, but I have plenty of cash and I'm not averse to paying for something high quality.

You will get a bit of experience shooting in beginner classes, but a good way to get experience with a wider variety of firearms is going to indoor ranges and renting guns. It's not the cheapest thing to do, especially if the range requires that you buy ammo from them rather than bring your own. It's worth it to figure out what you like in a gun.

You should have a rifle and a pistol, not one or the other. As the saying goes, your pistol is what you use to fight your way back to your rifle. A pistol is far inferior to a rifle as a weapon, but it is also much more convenient to carry around. A rifle doesn't do you much good if it's even on the other side of the house when you need it, let alone sitting at home when you're in town. With a good gun belt and holster it is comfortable to carry a pistol all day.

I'm not going to go into a long talk about what guns are good or bad right now. My rifle recommendation is simple, though: buy a Colt 6920 (and I mean specifically a Colt 6920, not just any old AR-15), unless it's illegal where you live. The pistol discussion is a lot more complicated and I'll get into that another time.

Anybody here own a firearm? - J. Spice - 05-23-2016

Quote: (05-22-2016 10:33 AM)storm Wrote:  

Looking to pick up an AR, and am considering some sort of collapsible SBR for edc, cf. http://shortbarrelshepherd.com/what-to-l...-backpack/

Any suggestions?

So, you want a rifle you can carry in a small backpack? The Ruger SR-556 Takedown is a decent option. A buddy of mine has one and loves it. If it has to stay in one piece, look into a pistol/SBR in .300blk. A 5.56mm barrel short enough to fit inside a backpack won't be long enough to burn all the powder and you'll wind up with a huge muzzle blast (not to mention a lot of wasted energy.) You can build a decent .300blk AR pistol/SBR for under $700. Obviously if you're going to go the SBR route you need to follow the proper NFA laws.

Anybody here own a firearm? - HermeticAlly - 05-24-2016

Thanks for the advice weambulance, taking a basic course is exactly what I intend to do. I will check out the link you provided, my friends also suggested the Project Appleseed boot camps as a great way to learn. I feel like I want to start with a rifle, but I definitely see the value in learning with a pistol as well.

Anybody here own a firearm? - Adonis - 05-25-2016

Quote: (05-22-2016 10:33 AM)storm Wrote:  

Looking to pick up an AR, and am considering some sort of collapsible SBR for edc, cf. http://shortbarrelshepherd.com/what-to-l...-backpack/

Any suggestions?

Not an AR but have you considered a bullpup? A 16" Tavor or AUG will be very close size wise to an SBR and have none of the paperwork yet keep the ballistic advantage of a longer barrel. The manual of arms is quite different however from a normal rifle, I think in a good way.

Not my pic
[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinim...3d.jpg&f=1]

Anybody here own a firearm? - storm - 05-27-2016

J. Spice, nice info about the SR-556 Takedown.
Looks good. You are right in guessing I wanted it to stay in one piece, something like a Kel tec sub2000 but not in 9mm . Still it is tempting. I will get my hands on one soon and consider it.

Thanks P Bateman. Will look into bullpups. As I understand it is different in quite a few ways for example when lying prone. Do you know any that can be taken down to fit into a regular sized backpack or a briefcase?

What do you guys know about carry belts? In particular, ones which can be used for suiting up.

I am in the market for a new suit belt and also a carry belt. Can I nail both with one purchase? My belt budget is about $200.

Anybody here own a firearm? - Leonard D Neubache - 05-27-2016

Quote: (05-24-2016 07:01 PM)HermeticAlly Wrote:  

Thanks for the advice weambulance, taking a basic course is exactly what I intend to do. I will check out the link you provided, my friends also suggested the Project Appleseed boot camps as a great way to learn. I feel like I want to start with a rifle, but I definitely see the value in learning with a pistol as well.

Owning a reasonably concealable pistol or revolver should be the number one priority of anyone who presently doesn't own any guns and who fears that things might get uglier down the road.

A rifle marks you as a combatant unless it's completely disassembled in your backpack, in which case it's functionally useless. A pistol can be carried anywhere in any circumstance, legally in much of the USA.

Pistol first. Rifle second. Exceptions for people living in the sticks for obvious reasons, but they're mostly armed to the teeth anyway.

Just my two cents.

Anybody here own a firearm? - J. Spice - 05-27-2016

Quote: (05-27-2016 03:16 AM)storm Wrote:  

J. Spice, nice info about the SR-556 Takedown.
Looks good. You are right in guessing I wanted it to stay in one piece, something like a Kel tec sub2000 but not in 9mm . Still it is tempting. I will get my hands on one soon and consider it.

Thanks P Bateman. Will look into bullpups. As I understand it is different in quite a few ways for example when lying prone. Do you know any that can be taken down to fit into a regular sized backpack or a briefcase?

What do you guys know about carry belts? In particular, ones which can be used for suiting up.

I am in the market for a new suit belt and also a carry belt. Can I nail both with one purchase? My belt budget is about $200.

It sounds like you're looking for a PDW-style weapon. Look into the Sig MPX and the Sig MCX. Both can be fitted with a folding or telescoping stock, or a folding arm brace if you go with a short barrel and don't want to deal with the NFA paperwork. The MCX can be configured to fire 5.56mm NATO, 7.62x29mm (AK), and .300 Blackout. I haven't shot one yet, but they've been getting really good reviews.

As far as gun belts go, Comp-Tac makes some good ones. Magpul Magpul recently started making some, and I'm anxious to try one out.

Anybody here own a firearm? - DamienCasanova - 06-13-2016

This weekend should give everyone here a good enough reason as you will get to buy a firearm

The next addition to my collection
[Image: ras47_cai_woodfurniture_angledcc_v2.png]

https://www.classicfirearms.com/
https://www.cdnnsports.com

Anybody here own a firearm? - Fast Eddie - 06-13-2016

To any amateur gun lawyers in the US, what's the upshot of private party gun restrictions? For example, does an apartment complex or even a landlord's prohibition on possessing guns on their property that you're renting out have any legal weight outside of the contractual terms on the housing lease? In other words, can you face criminal charges for possessing a gun in a room you're renting out if the property owner specified he doesn't want guns on his property.

Anybody here own a firearm? - J. Spice - 06-14-2016

Quote: (06-13-2016 05:07 PM)Fast Eddie Wrote:  

To any amateur gun lawyers in the US, what's the upshot of private party gun restrictions? For example, does an apartment complex or even a landlord's prohibition on possessing guns on their property that you're renting out have any legal weight outside of the contractual terms on the housing lease? In other words, can you face criminal charges for possessing a gun in a room you're renting out if the property owner specified he doesn't want guns on his property.

Check your state's regulations, but generally wherever you reside is considered your home for legal/self defense purposes. Unless you've signed an agreement saying you won't keep a firearm on the premises, you should be fine. Even then, I doubt you'd be criminally liable, but may face eviction.

Anybody here own a firearm? - username - 06-15-2016

Last week I picked up almost 10,000 rounds, I imagine prices will be going back up pretty soon.

Going to be getting another gun or two soon. Eying a 9mm pistol.

Anybody here own a firearm? - Adonis - 06-15-2016

^^ That is where they will strike: ammo and components. They cant really touch guns with current case law and high court precedents, but they can regulate or tax ammo and components with bs environmental or DOT regs. I think another few months and we will be seeing some election season panicking, but nothing like the last few years the market got pretty saturated. If you haven't been buying like theres no tomorrow (because there might not be) you've been fucking up.

Anybody here own a firearm? - TravelerKai - 06-15-2016

Quote: (06-15-2016 09:13 AM)P Bateman Wrote:  

^^ That is where they will strike: ammo and components. They cant really touch guns with current case law and high court precedents, but they can regulate or tax ammo and components with bs environmental or DOT regs. I think another few months and we will be seeing some election season panicking, but nothing like the last few years the market got pretty saturated. If you haven't been buying like theres no tomorrow (because there might not be) you've been fucking up.

I agree. I got a huge case of 9mm a little while back, but now I need the same amount in 5.56. Wallet is smoking more than my recent acquisitions. I have no choice but to wait a little bit more before getting a case of that. Once I am done with that, I should be good for a very long time.

If anyone can recommend a good place to buy ammo, let me know. All I know is Luckygunner.

Anybody here own a firearm? - Leonard D Neubache - 06-15-2016

From time to time I greatly envy you Americans and the toys you have access to.

Then I remind myself that my crappy gun collection and mediocre skills rank me as being in the top 1% of deadly ass mofos in my tragically disarmed nation.

As they say, in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Anybody here own a firearm? - Don's D - 06-15-2016

^^^The best ammo prices I've seen are in freedom munitions, they have a store in Houston, but you can order on line too

Anybody here own a firearm? - J. Spice - 06-15-2016

I've had pretty good luck with Sportsman's Guide.

Anybody here own a firearm? - Adonis - 06-15-2016

For ammo I have a few go to places that I trust.

#1. SGAmmo kept their prices low all throughout the last panic and as a result earned a huge customer base.

In no particular order:

Wideners
Ammo To Go
AIM Surplus
Palmetto State Armory
DSG Arms
Graf & Sons
Midsouth Shooters Supply

Anybody here own a firearm? - LeeEnfield303 - 06-16-2016

I'll throw a shoutout to luckygunner.com

Anybody here own a firearm? - hydrogonian - 06-16-2016

Quote: (05-25-2016 01:33 PM)P Bateman Wrote:  

Not an AR but have you considered a bullpup? A 16" Tavor or AUG will be very close size wise to an SBR and have none of the paperwork yet keep the ballistic advantage of a longer barrel. The manual of arms is quite different however from a normal rifle, I think in a good way.

My preference: I'm not a fan of gas in the face. That's why I wouldn't consider a bullpup.

Anybody here own a firearm? - hydrogonian - 06-16-2016

Quote: (06-15-2016 09:39 AM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

If anyone can recommend a good place to buy ammo, let me know. All I know is Luckygunner.

Doesn't everyone here use ammoseek? If not, try that. Price your ammo down to the penny per round, and then filter by other factors (brand, case material, etc).

Anybody here own a firearm? - LeeEnfield303 - 06-16-2016

Also try gun-deals.com There's an ammo option that sorts all the current deals by price. Very similar to ammoseek.

Anybody here own a firearm? - DamienCasanova - 06-16-2016

Quote: (06-16-2016 10:44 AM)hydrogonian Wrote:  

Quote: (06-15-2016 09:39 AM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

Doesn't everyone here use ammoseek? If not, try that. Price your ammo down to the penny per round, and then filter by other factors (brand, case material, etc).

I usually use http://sgammo.com, they've almost always got the best prices, but that search engine is a great resource, thanks!

Anybody here own a firearm? - kaotic - 06-17-2016

Use these for the best CPB (Cost Per Bullet)

http://gunbot.net/ammo/rifle/556/

and also this:

https://www.wikiarms.com/

I found some 5.56 green tip 1000 rounds for a steal of $400

Anybody here own a firearm? - tawm - 06-17-2016

A few of mine.

[Image: gateDkF.jpg?1]
Bulgarian AK-74 with Polish furniture.

[Image: PNkGiDX.jpg?2]
Steyr-Mannlicher StG.58 (FN FAL)

[Image: PYYD84p.jpg]
CZ-75B w/ festive furniture.

Those desiring ammo and other good knick-knacks: recommend AIMsurplus.com

But be warned, if you're just now trying to get into the gun game, you're now riding the panic with everybody else. Expect prices to double or triple, especially for blank lowers etc

Anybody here own a firearm? - chicane - 06-18-2016

For learning rifle marksmanship, I recommend the Appleseed Project. They teach marksmanship and American history (mostly April 19th, 1775). A weekend class is under $100. Using a .22LR rifle is recommended and you can often arrange to borrow one.