Roosh V Forum
London Observations - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Travel (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: London Observations (/thread-38576.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

London Observations - Irish - 04-01-2015

Cheers for the feedback gadabout/Constitution45

Quote: (04-01-2015 07:32 AM)gadabout Wrote:  

I have been living on and off in London & Europe for years. Since ditching the night life, London is now my home.

Interesting. Have you ditched the night life entirely? Or do you just limit it to hitting a few local pubs/bars early doors to talk to a few girls and leave once the thirst brigade manage to get enough dutch courage built up.

I suspect I won't be bothered much with the nightlife myself bar the occasional nights here and there. I can see it will be just too much hassle and expense for the return in fun/women. Although I do like my big nights out so there will be withdrawl symptoms there. But am planning on flying back up to Glasgow or head over to Europe for a big weekend jaunt once or twice a month.

Living alone in some EE shithole for the sole purpose of women and cheap rent started to turn me weird. It's a great adventure when you are young and hungry for it but I just stopped caring and starting to loose my sense of identity. I am considerably happier in London.

I get this also. I am 35 and noticing I have considerably less motivation for chasing pussy. Or to be specific, putting in unreasonable effort or making big sacrafices in living standards for pussy. For example I know I could move to Jakarta and get laid like a rockstar but frankly I couldn't stand that shithole for more than the occasional long weekend. The pre 30s me would definitely have been able to stand it. Not sure if it's just an age thing or the fact that I've since having got some quality bangs under my belt now the hunger to chase tail has mellowed somewhat.

Quote: (04-01-2015 07:50 AM)Constitution45 Wrote:  

I do have to say though, the competition in London is massive. Reasonably attractive sales assistants in Oxford high street will have bankers and top businessmen buying them expensive gifts without even dating them, just for the purposes of showing off. From friends and associates it looks like one of those situations where you either sink or float to the bottom.

I remember when I first moved to London, I was blown away by how thirsty and aggressive the guys were. Some would slit your throat for a 5. However I was a very different guy back then to the guy I am now. I had made a couple occasional trips back down there to visit friends. Although there was limited opportunity to game any girls, the little that I did confirmed for me that another stint in the city would yield much better results. How much better? I do not know but I am intruiged to see how I get on.

Another thing I wanted to bring up with the various London based players who have spent some extensive time in EE/SE Asia/LatAm: I recently noticed a London-esq level of nightgame competition and thirst from my recent time in Tokyo. But at the same time I felt both the combination of solid game, but in particular my lack of thirst definitely gave me some sort of edge over the other expats there. Consistently the chicks I spoke to and brought out on dates said that about me, that I appeared 'different' because I came across chill and didn't 'need it so badly'. I wasn't looking all around me for the next girl to pounce on, nor did I get right up in their face with my approach.

I put this down to having benefitted from living and travelling around SE Asia and having the reference experiences of swooping quality hot girls without having to fight tooth and nail for them. While the Tokyo expat bankers who likely had lived all their lives in the major hub cities were just used to battling for scraps. I definitely have a sense of entitlement, but it means I can hold my shit together when talking to a hot chick and don't take any nonsense from her. While comparatively most of the other guys there would give off the vibe that they would eat her shit.

I'm not sure if this is a phenomenon any of you have noticed in London? ie Do you consistently get feedback from girls that you are different from the thirsty hoard? As they sense you are used to dealing with superior women (from EE/Asia/LatAm etc)

London Observations - gadabout - 04-02-2015

I am the same age as you then… and yeah I have withdrawn from night life completely. I'm too old and cynical to enjoy it anymore. I'd rather a good night sleep than have to tolerate 6+ hours in a cheesy environment to sleep with a club slut.
My twenties were a blast but I don't have the mental or physical energy to replicate those time. If I'm going solo I'd just up in the corner of the club worrying how I was going to cope in the gym the next day.
I just know that without night game EE wasn't even an option which is the only good thing about these countries. I do miss that so I think I'll do as you say and just have a blow out once a month for week. I'm already going to Budapest in April but Im pretty confident that 2 nights out in a row will remind me why I moved back to London.
I don't particulay enjoy day game either but grinding it out in London for a couple of months has been more rewarding for me personally than 2 months of hitting the clubs and bars.

London Observations - H1N1 - 04-02-2015

Interesting thread. I lived in London for 3 years (did University there), and then for a year afterwards. I've since moved to the countryside, about an hour south of London, and I have to say I don't miss it. I'm no 'player' though, and don't mind trading off access to a high number of girls for an otherwise dramatically increased quality of life. I am country born and raised though, so take it for what it's worth. Almost all my friends work in corporate finance or commercial law in the city, and I turned down a number of those jobs before I decided to leave. I wouldn't trade places with them now, and the enormous amount of money I could have been making would have been worthless given the 18 hour workdays and constant exhaustion.

Although these guys are making a lot of money, they spend almost no time at home, have very little social life that doesn't revolve around work, and are generally too tired to have much fun anyway. From where I am, I can't see any way in which living in London represents a good life choice. The nice bits are all owned by oligarchs, arab sheiks, ultra rich hedgefunders, or old money landowners, and as has been said, you have to spend the best part of £1k/month just to live in areas that are bleak, dirty, architecturally vapid, and characterless. That shows how far out of whack the whole system is.

London Observations - Saweeep - 04-02-2015

Quote: (04-02-2015 09:22 AM)H1N1 Wrote:  

Interesting thread. I lived in London for 3 years (did University there), and then for a year afterwards. I've since moved to the countryside, about an hour south of London, and I have to say I don't miss it. I'm no 'player' though, and don't mind trading off access to a high number of girls for an otherwise dramatically increased quality of life. I am country born and raised though, so take it for what it's worth. Almost all my friends work in corporate finance or commercial law in the city, and I turned down a number of those jobs before I decided to leave. I wouldn't trade places with them now, and the enormous amount of money I could have been making would have been worthless given the 18 hour workdays and constant exhaustion.

Although these guys are making a lot of money, they spend almost no time at home, have very little social life that doesn't revolve around work, and are generally too tired to have much fun anyway. From where I am, I can't see any way in which living in London represents a good life choice. The nice bits are all owned by oligarchs, arab sheiks, ultra rich hedgefunders, or old money landowners, and as has been said, you have to spend the best part of £1k/month just to live in areas that are bleak, dirty, architecturally vapid, and characterless. That shows how far out of whack the whole system is.

What do you do for work mr virus?

London Observations - H1N1 - 04-02-2015

Quote: (04-02-2015 01:26 PM)CrashBangWallop Wrote:  

What do you do for work mr virus?

I'll PM you.

London Observations - Irish - 04-03-2015

Quote: (04-02-2015 08:51 AM)gadabout Wrote:  

I am the same age as you then… and yeah I have withdrawn from night life completely. I'm too old and cynical to enjoy it anymore. I'd rather a good night sleep than have to tolerate 6+ hours in a cheesy environment to sleep with a club slut.
My twenties were a blast but I don't have the mental or physical energy to replicate those time. If I'm going solo I'd just up in the corner of the club worrying how I was going to cope in the gym the next day.
I just know that without night game EE wasn't even an option which is the only good thing about these countries. I do miss that so I think I'll do as you say and just have a blow out once a month for week. I'm already going to Budapest in April but Im pretty confident that 2 nights out in a row will remind me why I moved back to London.
I don't particulay enjoy day game either but grinding it out in London for a couple of months has been more rewarding for me personally than 2 months of hitting the clubs and bars.

I still really enjoy my nightlife, but only the more upscale clubs with my good mates with the occasional bottle/table now and again on a special occasion. I grew out of trolling around student clubs and meat market style places long ago. I had a relative of mine who was one of the managers in a high end London club (Boujis) and would comp me free entry and drinks all night on the rare occasion I was in London. Which was pretty awesome of him. But even then I noticed the chicks not being all that great for it being one of the flashier type of places. It sure wouldnt't have been worth it had the night not been entirely on the house.

In a way it may be a good thing as if the nightlife options are sub par it might force me into slowing shit down and hitting the gym, getting myself into shape. To be fair I have a bit of a rep amongst my friends for having big nights out and probably pushing my body too hard boozing/partying. After having the last 4 months off travelling around Asia and having big nights out I am definitely starting to feel the pace and need to slow down. On top of that, I really fancy giving daygame a solid go. I have dabbled here and there, then got some success when I was rolling solo in Tokyo and that has given me a taste for it. And as I understand it, there is no better place for daygame than London.

So basically the plan will be when I am in London at weekends I plan to daygame it and go for a few nights out to some bars/pubs early doors then head home early. And every other weekend either head up to Glasgow to hang with my old buds or my home city to visit family. Then once a month hit somewhere in Europe for a long weekend. Then in between contracts take a month or two off and go on some epic trip somewhere. Pending how the money works out.

Ooft corporate finance and Law. I wonder if they even need accomodation those people seeing as they would barely spend any time in their own house or bed. I used to work in corporate finance but in a smaller regional UK city as opposed to London. Even then the hours were absolutely brutal and you're right, it's just not worth it. You could see these people had lost all perspective on life and their entire existence was basically their job. The didn't have one friend who wasn't via some useful work/networking connection - and that's why they were friends with them. One dude (real oddball) even got married to some chick just because she was a good contact. Busted up career woman who used to kick his ass up and down the house but anytime he talked about her he always dropped in "she's the head of RBS corporate lending you know...". There were a couple of cool guys but the vast majority of people fitted this profile.

I am certainly not looking forward to plugging back into this work/life matrix these people have but if I'm contracting I can likely distance myself from it somewhat. Not deal with the cut-throat bullshitty office politics and just look forward to 1-2 month trips at the end of each contract.

If it wasn't for certain family related reasons I would for sure just stay out here in Singapore. However I need to move back to the UK for some time at least and London is the only place I can make good money while working as a contractor. Much as I hated living there before, anywhere else in the UK I would have to take on a permanent role and being tied down to begging for holidays while on a shit salary. Plus less access to direct flights to Europe for a long weekend getaway as well.

London Observations - Vicious - 04-03-2015

I'm going to be in LDN for a week at the end of this month. It's work related but I'm staying in a Hoxton Penthouse I got off AirBnB. The area has 4 of the world's 50 best cocktail bars in a 7 block radius which is right up my alley.

London Observations - H1N1 - 04-03-2015

Quote: (04-03-2015 01:37 AM)Irish Wrote:  

Quote: (04-02-2015 08:51 AM)gadabout Wrote:  

I still really enjoy my nightlife, but only the more upscale clubs with my good mates with the occasional bottle/table now and again on a special occasion. I grew out of trolling around student clubs and meat market style places long ago. I had a relative of mine who was one of the managers in a high end London club (Boujis) and would comp me free entry and drinks all night on the rare occasion I was in London. Which was pretty awesome of him. But even then I noticed the chicks not being all that great for it being one of the flashier type of places. It sure wouldnt't have been worth it had the night not been entirely on the house.

In a way it may be a good thing as if the nightlife options are sub par it might force me into slowing shit down and hitting the gym, getting myself into shape. To be fair I have a bit of a rep amongst my friends for having big nights out and probably pushing my body too hard boozing/partying. After having the last 4 months off travelling around Asia and having big nights out I am definitely starting to feel the pace and need to slow down. On top of that, I really fancy giving daygame a solid go. I have dabbled here and there, then got some success when I was rolling solo in Tokyo and that has given me a taste for it. And as I understand it, there is no better place for daygame than London.

So basically the plan will be when I am in London at weekends I plan to daygame it and go for a few nights out to some bars/pubs early doors then head home early. And every other weekend either head up to Glasgow to hang with my old buds or my home city to visit family. Then once a month hit somewhere in Europe for a long weekend. Then in between contracts take a month or two off and go on some epic trip somewhere. Pending how the money works out.

Ooft corporate finance and Law. I wonder if they even need accomodation those people seeing as they would barely spend any time in their own house or bed. I used to work in corporate finance but in a smaller regional UK city as opposed to London. Even then the hours were absolutely brutal and you're right, it's just not worth it. You could see these people had lost all perspective on life and their entire existence was basically their job. The didn't have one friend who wasn't via some useful work/networking connection - and that's why they were friends with them. One dude (real oddball) even got married to some chick just because she was a good contact. Busted up career woman who used to kick his ass up and down the house but anytime he talked about her he always dropped in "she's the head of RBS corporate lending you know...". There were a couple of cool guys but the vast majority of people fitted this profile.

I am certainly not looking forward to plugging back into this work/life matrix these people have but if I'm contracting I can likely distance myself from it somewhat. Not deal with the cut-throat bullshitty office politics and just look forward to 1-2 month trips at the end of each contract.

If it wasn't for certain family related reasons I would for sure just stay out here in Singapore. However I need to move back to the UK for some time at least and London is the only place I can make good money while working as a contractor. Much as I hated living there before, anywhere else in the UK I would have to take on a permanent role and being tied down to begging for holidays while on a shit salary. Plus less access to direct flights to Europe for a long weekend getaway as well.

Haha, I can believe it. All of those firms have sleeping pods. When I did my internship at one of them, it was one of the first things I was shown. They take their pound of flesh, and once you calculate the hours you're working, the hourly rate is actually very poor, and far lower per hour (in the first few years) than many skilled manual workers will be able to command outside the city.

London Observations - Akula - 04-04-2015

London in itself is not that expensive, the problem is rent. But it is no more than NY or other major hubs. British weather is the best because its mild all year round.

Although I liked your post I disagree with these two statements. Been here a couple months and the weather is crap much of the time, it's also incredibly damp which makes the cold that much more penetrating. The lack of sunshine sucks too. It's not all that bad but I notice sunny days and want to get out and about. Say what you will but there's a big difference when you live in a somewhat sunny climate versus the UK. I'd take the extremes of the US East Coast or Midwest over London weather I think.

London is also much more expensive than New York (let alone the rest of the US) in most categories - I'd say sometimes up to 50% more. Prices at Waitrose, Tesco and M&S Food are at least 30-40% more than in NYC. I guess milk costs about the same but I find every trip to the supermarket wallet-empyting.

Restaurants are also more expensive than NY too and there is a distinct lack of a middle "cheap eats/good quality" sit down category in London versus NYC (but it seems to be getting better). Drinks and beer at your average pub here also seem to be a bit more expensive but not crazily so. But why do I need to pay around 4-5 quid for a pint almost everywhere in the center here? Even around Angel and Islington it's generally expensive!

UK in general is basically US prices in pounds so that alone means it's ~50% more expensive.

Housing is ridiculous here too especially in the posh areas where you basically can't touch the newer builds. Paying 600K in pounds for some one-bedroom is just crazy - you are competing with the foreign money and rich white collar workers which just doesn't work.

All that said, London's an amazing city that's basically one big museum and there's so much history and culture it's worth living here for a bit just to experience it all. It's also a good place for younger guys to get started, make some money and contacts and then move on (all the while getting to game some foreign visitors and hone your skills in a crappy nightgame (but good day game) arena (at least for the average guy who's improving).

I don't know why an older guy would spend a lot of time here except for career purposes. Just live somewhere else and visit.

London Observations - apolis - 04-04-2015

Personally during my second period as a single professional in London, I'm rather satisfied, since I collect at least one quality flag every 15 days, which is not bad for my age. It's not easy though, you need advanced game and good looks to be successful in London. In addition, you need to understand how this city works: sometimes a girl will be able to meet you one week after, which is normal for a busy city like London. I had many bangs from such cases. You need to keep a diary and be ready for action all the time.

London Observations - rudebwoy - 04-04-2015

Akula - spot on my man about the weather. Not seeing the sun for a month freaked me out in London, it definitely changes people's mood.
It is a great city and a true world class city, there is something there for everyone.

London Observations - The_Wonder - 04-04-2015

I was born and raised in London (one of those Zone 5 areas mentioned by OP). I have noticed birds here to be up their own arses a lot. I think a lot of it is that it attracts those kinds of people from the rest of the UK. A lot of people from the north of England feel they are "better" than the people they leave behind up there and it really shows. I also noticed this even with the migrant workers and students it's like "I'm in a better place now so I should leave all what I have previously believed in the country I just left".

London Observations - Brian Shima - 04-04-2015

Has any one tried rock or alternative type bars and clubs in London? I know it has great scenes.

London Observations - gadabout - 04-05-2015

Ok I guess it can be a bit grey and depressing. But a couple of years back I was in Czech republic, Romania and the Balkans and it switched from being knee deep in snow to everyone taking cover from the baking sun in the space of about a month. There seems to be a sweet spot where everyone is out and about. The rest of the time is can feel a bit baron. Last year in London the summer felt like it lasted forever.
With regards to food I think I just like the fact I can get what I want and I know how to economise what I eat. Europe I tend to eat out a bit more or I really struggle to find food that I know how to prepare. Russia was a nightmare. My bowels were not happy.
I went out this weekend for the first time in ages and London nightlife is shit plain and simple. Absolute sausage fests everywhere and just a weird mix. The coolest thing about EE is the cheesy clubs packed with young women a stones throw from old town apartments. You really can beat it especially if you are a night owl. I am genuinely gutted that I cannot enjoy it anymore .
I think London day game is mach harder than EE. I feel like I have to put in a ton more approaches and deal with much more flakes. The advantage is however there are enough targets to keep on ploughing through. EE can dry up quite quickly if you are in the same city for longer periods.
It's basically quality of life over pussy. 5 years ago I would have lived in a tent for just a whiff. FUnny how things change.

London Observations - Feldeinsamkeit - 04-05-2015

Quote: (04-04-2015 08:02 PM)The_Wonder Wrote:  

I was born and raised in London (one of those Zone 5 areas mentioned by OP). I have noticed birds here to be up their own arses a lot. I think a lot of it is that it attracts those kinds of people from the rest of the UK. A lot of people from the north of England feel they are "better" than the people they leave behind up there and it really shows. I also noticed this even with the migrant workers and students it's like "I'm in a better place now so I should leave all what I have previously believed in the country I just left".

Spot on. The arrogance of London women is, indeed, a nauseating spectacle to behold, although I would add that even in the north east of England, where I am living at the moment, I've noticed a big increase over the last five years in haughty and narcissistic attitudes of the women. Even my German ex used to comment on how stuck-up she found British women. Whenever I meet a women from outside of the Anglosphere, I am continually blown away at how obnoxious UK women are in comparison - every time.

London Observations - The_Wonder - 04-05-2015

Quote: (04-05-2015 03:44 PM)Feldeinsamkeit Wrote:  

Spot on. The arrogance of London women is, indeed, a nauseating spectacle to behold, although I would add that even in the north east of England, where I am living at the moment, I've noticed a big increase over the last five years in haughty and narcissistic attitudes of the women. Even my German ex used to comment on how stuck-up she found British women. Whenever I meet a women from outside of the Anglosphere, I am continually blown away at how obnoxious UK women are in comparison - every time.

I always thought Geordies to be a down to Earth bunch. I v. much approve of what Geordie women wear on a night out, and I must admit the accent is very nice to my ears! Much better than say a Leeds accent which is rough as fuck.

I always had problems with pulling in the north of England though, coz I have a very strong London accent, and regional accents are not very popular outside their own area. It is an advantage here though, coz there are hardly any people with old school London accents, everyone raised here talks like Ali G or Dizzee Rascal now, which is just annoying. I represent old school London, so outside people can't disprove of me speaking in a way synonymous with the traditional view of the area. The funny thing is, it's a novelty now (I'll be one of the few people in the bar speaking that way) and novelty is always good [Image: banana.gif]

London Observations - N°6 - 04-05-2015

Quote: (04-05-2015 03:44 PM)Feldeinsamkeit Wrote:  

You raise a good point regarding how other European women view British women. It is not uncommon to speak to a European woman who has been living in the UK for several years who says that she has not made a single female English friend.

London Observations - Oneitis - 06-24-2015

Quote: (04-05-2015 04:43 PM)N°6 Wrote:  

You raise a good point regarding how other European women view British women. It is not uncommon to speak to a European woman who has been living in the UK for several years who says that she has not made a single female English friend.

I can back this up. A female Polish friend of mine is constantly saying how she finds it hard to relate to and befriend English women. I keep telling her she's better off without them.

London Observations - Teedub - 06-24-2015

Quote: (06-24-2015 10:00 AM)Oneitis Wrote:  

Quote: (04-05-2015 04:43 PM)N°6 Wrote:  

I can back this up. A female Polish friend of mine is constantly saying how she finds it hard to relate to and befriend English women. I keep telling her she's better off without them.

Not just in London either. I know a couple of Latvian and Lithuanian girls... and especially with the Latvians (of the Russian variety), they stick to their own. The guys from those places, not so much.

I also think British women see them as a threat, so they make it difficult for them to be friends. Thinking about it though, I actually think in London it's more likely for British and foreign girls to mix, since it's so international in vibe.

London Observations - worldtraveler3 - 06-24-2015

English women can be quite aggressive in their personalities. I guess they can do that partly because the culture tolerates some of that. Some men don't mind. I would say, in mainland Europe chicks can also be stuck up as well but in a more indirect and "quiet" way like some of the Italians do.
I don't think English women view them as a threat as opposed to culturally difficult to connect with. Alot of the mid twenties English girls just seem to be hanging exclusively with their university or school friends as well, not open towards a foreigner coming into the social circle unless they contribute something significant.

London Observations - lush1 - 06-24-2015

English women have zero social skills and confidence and use getting drunk as a crutch because they are scared of being different from anyone else. I find their self conciousnessness is depressing.

I find they can be good fun though, just a shame they are such scaredy cats.

London Observations - The_Wonder - 06-24-2015

I made a few observations today. I was walking down Oxford Street in the late morning, suited up (but then again so is every other person) most women actively avoid eye contact except for (I'm guessing) certain nationalities of tourist, I find that ridiculous. I actually find I have better luck with IOI's when dressed smart / casual (I guess it makes me look more unique).

Although on a positive note, I was walking round Selfridges and couldn't find the sunglasses section. I asked one of the gorgeous girls that works on beauty on the ground floor, she coyly smiled as soon as I started talking to her (felt quite nice after the misery outside) I notice I have this effect with shop workers. As mentioned previously, I think it helps me having a strong, traditional London accent, which is virtually unheard in C. London these days, and I always call female sales assistants etc. "babe" (no matter if they're 18 or 80!) which adds to the Londonness. Maybe I represent the kind of man they "expect" (stereotype) to be in abundance when they move to London that just isn't here in modern London.

London Observations - Que enspastic - 06-24-2015

Quote: (04-05-2015 01:25 PM)gadabout Wrote:  

Last year in London the summer felt like it lasted forever.

I'm sweating bullets. Still no sign of the sun yet we're halfway through summer, then it's back to half a year of perpetual darkness.

London Observations - mogsy - 06-24-2015

Yes can confirm that it's not just London it is happening in the north of London as well. A lot of foreign girls I know say that they don't like the locals that much as they aren't that welcoming which I have seen. I think it might be an issue with some English women having a superiority complex over others even if the local girls aren't that high value at all.

With all the money in London it's impossible to attempt to compete for women on the money level unless you have the funds to play and even then you'd need to question whether spending money directly or indirectly on these women is worth it.

London Observations - rudebwoy - 06-24-2015

Most countries don't like immigration. So I don't think it is fair to say British women are unfriendly, why would they need to make friends with foreign girls who they have to compete with. If you don't like British girls, simply don't deal with them. That is the joy of living in the UK.

London is a hub and a great place to set up shop for a few years.