Roosh V Forum
TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+---- Forum: Fitness (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-6.html)
+---- Thread: TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet (/thread-56561.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - kinjutsu - 07-25-2017

Quote: (07-25-2017 01:54 PM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

Hey fellas,

I came across this very interesting video from this UK guy, that has several schools worldwide. All you guys in Canada, AUS, and the UK should especially check to see if there is a school nearby you, if you have concerns about your safety and want real world training.

Ignore the click bait title, the entire video is VERY interesting. I don't agree with his philosophy on everything, but mindset wise he is extremely on point and I get a good vibe from them. Based on the last few pages, this guy's schools would cover what many of you were asking about. He basically offers the new-style CQC. Borderline Special Ops level stuff minus the killing obviously. They truly understand the concepts. He discusses Risk, Threat, and Crisis management and solutions. This is bang on stuff.

Yeah the guy has the right mindset for self-defense.
When you're getting attacked you have to fight hard, unleash the demon within etc...

One thing that bothered me about videos like these are how they show women able to punch a guy bigger than them and be dominant...
Can't stand this...

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 07-25-2017

Quote: (07-25-2017 03:04 PM)kinjutsu Wrote:  

Hey fellas,

I came across this very interesting video from this UK guy, that has several schools worldwide. All you guys in Canada, AUS, and the UK should especially check to see if there is a school nearby you, if you have concerns about your safety and want real world training.

Ignore the click bait title, the entire video is VERY interesting. I don't agree with his philosophy on everything, but mindset wise he is extremely on point and I get a good vibe from them. Based on the last few pages, this guy's schools would cover what many of you were asking about. He basically offers the new-style CQC. Borderline Special Ops level stuff minus the killing obviously. They truly understand the concepts. He discusses Risk, Threat, and Crisis management and solutions. This is bang on stuff.

When you're getting attacked you have to fight hard, unleash the demon within etc...

One thing that bothered me about videos like these are how they show women able to punch a guy bigger than them and be dominant...
Can't stand this...

I used to teach Women's Self Defense classes back in the day. There are some things they can do, but most of it includes running away. If you notice in the video, the girl bolts away after striking to get away from that large man.

They have to do something. They have to give it their best shot. Now after the first punch does nothing, they need to claw the eyes, fishook, gouge, etc. kick the groin and knee, then pull away so that they can run away.

A woman's best self defense is a very solid 1 mile run speed time. Not even joking. Many men cannot chase down a woman in a full sprint, if she is in good shape.

You can tell these guys are all about reality. By instructing the woman to run off in most of the demos, they are not puffing up feminist bullshit and go gurlisms into these women's heads. They are keeping it real while positively reinforcing confidence that they can indeed defend themselves. For that I give a thumbs up.

For purposes of selling seats for classes on a Youtube vid, they are not going to show a 100% resistance rape attempt. Although, me personally I used to manhandle the ladies in classes on occasion just to show them how a full resistance encounter would feel like, so they would not forget. BJJ is hands down the best rape prevention martial art there is. Even small women can armbar and wrist press large men and transition it into a break or something more painful. By pulling guard they can defend against ground and pound to an extent, long enough to get a submission or get up and run away.

Even a 3 year old kid can rear naked choke a grown man into a coma, unless they flop onto their back to squish them. So it's not too far fetched for a grown woman to be able to do some things. It's just limited.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - kinjutsu - 07-25-2017

Quote: (07-25-2017 03:30 PM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

Quote: (07-25-2017 03:04 PM)kinjutsu Wrote:  

Hey fellas,

Can't stand this...

I used to teach Women's Self Defense classes back in the day. There are some things they can do, but most of it includes running away. If you notice in the video, the girl bolts away after striking to get away from that large man.

They have to do something. They have to give it their best shot. Now after the first punch does nothing, they need to claw the eyes, fishook, gouge, etc. kick the groin and knee, then pull away so that they can run away.

A woman's best self defense is a very solid 1 mile run speed time. Not even joking. Many men cannot chase down a woman in a full sprint, if she is in good shape.

You can tell these guys are all about reality. By instructing the woman to run off in most of the demos, they are not puffing up feminist bullshit and go gurlisms into these women's heads. They are keeping it real while positively reinforcing confidence that they can indeed defend themselves. For that I give a thumbs up.

For purposes of selling seats for classes on a Youtube vid, they are not going to show a 100% resistance rape attempt. Although, me personally I used to manhandle the ladies in classes on occasion just to show them how a full resistance encounter would feel like, so they would not forget. BJJ is hands down the best rape prevention martial art there is. Even small women can armbar and wrist press large men and transition it into a break or something more painful. By pulling guard they can defend against ground and pound to an extent, long enough to get a submission or get up and run away.

Even a 3 year old kid can rear naked choke a grown man into a coma, unless they flop onto their back to squish them. So it's not too far fetched for a grown woman to be able to do some things. It's just limited.

Yeah i should've elaborated more on my issues with the video.
And good point about showing the women run away instead trying to pull a Rhonda Rousey.
We would train the women to go straight for the eyes and not even think about closing the fist for a punch, because a broken hand is useless to you in a fight.

Kinda funny story about rape attempt classes...
A few years ago we had a stand alone class specifically for rape defense that was free and optional.
The male instructors were told to go 80-90% to simulate a rape attempt.
A few of the women broke down in tears during the training. Full on crying and running to the bathroom.
These same women who broken down were the same ones boasting about how they could take a man down if it really counted.
On a positive note the rest of the women who did not break down all said it was a positive experience that they would like to do again.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 07-25-2017

LOL! Some of mine did not like it at all as well. One gal was 6'1" and hefty, and she actually liked the demo. Probably because I had to work a little harder to drag her down. She dropped a triangle leg choke on me quickly too. That gal was not afraid of knife training and things of that sort. The funny thing about her is that, at her size, few men would ever think about messing with her. Her rare size pretty much made a deterrent for her, so I never understood why she was so deeply interested in self defense.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - heavy - 07-31-2017

About 10 years ago it clicked that a lot of sports depend on the power of body rotation...baseball, golf, tennis, throwing anything, boxing and throwing kicks. All of these make sense.

One thing I realized the last week or two was how BJJ depends on it too. Standing take downs (collar pull) and any movement where you switch your hips utilizes this same rotational hip power. It's not quite as obvious, because it doesn't often involve full rotation of the entire body, but it's the same power.

It's taken me 8 months, but I'm beginning to see all of the movements that should have hip rotation as the power source (it's been explained to me for every move we've learned, but I'm just now absorbing it).

The catalyst was simple: A purple belt teasing me with simple bull fighter pass. Somehow I noticed in this simplest of moves, that he was switching his hips when he did it. It's as if I thought, "why is he switching his hips on such a simple move that I wouldn't think would require hip movement".

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 07-31-2017

Quote: (07-31-2017 02:16 PM)heavy Wrote:  

About 10 years ago it clicked that a lot of sports depend on the power of body rotation...baseball, golf, tennis, throwing anything, boxing and throwing kicks. All of these make sense.

One thing I realized the last week or two was how BJJ depends on it too. Standing take downs (collar pull) and any movement where you switch your hips utilizes this same rotational hip power. It's not quite as obvious, because it doesn't often involve full rotation of the entire body, but it's the same power.

It's taken me 8 months, but I'm beginning to see all of the movements that should have hip rotation as the power source (it's been explained to me for every move we've learned, but I'm just now absorbing it).

The catalyst was simple: A purple belt teasing me with simple bull fighter pass. Somehow I noticed in this simplest of moves, that he was switching his hips when he did it. It's as if I thought, "why is he switching his hips on such a simple move that I wouldn't think would require hip movement".

Yep!

The Chinese discovered this hundreds of years ago.

The concept of qi (chi) translated into English simply means breath.

Your power comes from your breath. All power.

Breath comes from your center. Your center is your CORE.

If you study Chinese Martial Arts long enough, most movesets and styles rely heavily upon disrupting the center of your opponent and preventing disruption of your own center.

Any kind of exercises that work your core make you a stronger <fill in the blank>

In BJJ you gotta be able to explode from the hips, just like an offensive and defensive lineman playing football.

Lifters getting on guys cases for not deadlifting or squatting like a real man, are on point, because all these things strengthen your core and make you overall stronger able to make real tangible and legit gains, instead of bullshit arm gains with weasel looking legs, shoulders, and back muscles.

Vitality at the core is a MUST for all power generation.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - RockHard - 08-13-2017

Quote: (07-31-2017 02:16 PM)heavy Wrote:  

From a Judo perspective, same thing. Coaches talk about envisioning a big steering wheel. The thing I learned recently is that works on the ground. If you start ne waza from your knees, you can grab a dude and just push-pull. If you catch him off balance, he'll go right over.

I have to say, the rape prevention stuff sounds like a sorta fucked up role playing thing. It's no wonder a bunch of them got emotional. Probably stirred up some feelings that you shouldn't have with a training partner. IMO, a girl should just learn the art, if she ever needs it, she'll know what to do. No need for the role playing.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - RockHard - 08-13-2017

[quote] (08-13-2017 12:01 PM)RockHard Wrote:  

[quote='heavy' pid='1622069' dateline='1501528571']

One thing I realized the last week or two was how BJJ depends on it too. Standing take downs (collar pull) and any movement where you switch your hips utilizes this same rotational hip power. It's not quite as obvious, because it doesn't often involve full rotation of the entire body, but it's the same power.[/quote]

From a Judo perspective, same thing. Coaches talk about envisioning a big steering wheel. The thing I learned recently is that works on the ground. If you start ne waza from your knees, you can grab a dude and just push-pull. If you catch him off balance, he'll go right over. So much of the sport is in getting grip and preventing your opponent from taking his.

I have to say, the rape prevention stuff sounds like a sorta fucked up role playing thing. It's no wonder a bunch of them got emotional. Probably stirred up some feelings that you shouldn't have with a training partner. IMO, a girl should just learn the art, if she ever needs it, she'll know what to do. No need for the role playing.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - kinjutsu - 08-13-2017

Quote: (08-13-2017 12:03 PM)RockHard Wrote:  

[quote] (08-13-2017 12:01 PM)RockHard Wrote:  

(07-31-2017, 07:16 PM)heavy Wrote:  

Yeah it does but from an instructor perspective it's a necessary evil.
You do a dis-service to your students if you don't prepare them for realistic/life like.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 08-14-2017

The defender in this video deserves a standing ovation. He disarms a guy that attacks him with a baseball bat, chokes him out, after a full nelson because the guy tried to eye gouge him.

Bravo.

That's one way to stop a guy with a bat that I can cosign on.

JJ/Aikido/Judo/BJJ/Wrestling students take note!!! Close that gap and stuff that swing! The rest you know what to do!

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 08-14-2017

Also before someone sends me a silly PM:

DO NOT escalate fights with losers and idiots. That guy would not have gotten into that fight if he had not gotten into a FUCK YOU tirade with that clown.

Learn to de escalate and diffuse tense situations. Just because cats with bats are more common in Philly, than in some places like Texas, does not mean that the bat holder did not have a pistol in his pocket.

Remember if someone is angry enough to get in your face, you are 9/10 times about to get hit. Don't let anything get that far. If calmly stating your point makes someone angry, let em have it. Nothing is worth fighting like that over whatever they were fighting over. Especially women. Unless someone is trying to hurt your children or steal your property (even then...) let it go. Let the police deal with them.

I would bet money the local prosecutor's office will there will try to make this guy spend money on lawyers to defend himself, even if the case gets dropped or not guilty. Is 10,000 USD worth paying a decent-to-good lawyer a retainer for this? Hell no.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - kinjutsu - 08-14-2017

That disarm and choke was beautiful TK.
Very little aggression was used + plus he never actually threw a punch.
The guy was always in control and showed extreme restraint in gently lowering the guy to the ground once he was choked out.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Parzival - 08-25-2017

I have some questions according to high kicks. I join Hapkido now and they kick a lot. I was always interested in high kicks and leg stretching since a teen still I never did manage it. I'm flexible in my upper body, I still can touch my toes with straight legs. I even can do some side kicks. As a teen I did regular stretching as well, I tried to do the split. I never managed it. What I noticed, some movements seem to be super hard for me. Sit in Seiza gives me incredible pain, no matter how long I tried it, same goes for some high kicks.
I feel its not even the muscles, it hurt deeper. Is there any advice? Just try more or try the best I can? I still stretch regular and I look for good tutorials to try at home. Still in some areas it seems like there is no improvement.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Elster - 08-28-2017

Hey Parzival!
I share a similar problem but I've been training consistently for the last year and one thing I noticed with stretching when you are an adult is that it takes longer to re-develop.
Another thing I noticed was that if I breathe and relax it forces the muscle more than if I applied tension.
(I am also trying to reach a split level or rather being able to kick above my waist at least)

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - blck - 08-28-2017

@Pazival @El_Gostro
You guys might give a try to Relax into Stretching from Pavel Tsatsouline
You can find the PDF for free online and you won't get disappointed

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Elster - 08-29-2017

^Will do, thanks for the tip!

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - heavy - 08-29-2017

Quote: (08-28-2017 03:04 PM)blck Wrote:  

@Pazival @El_Gostro
You guys might give a try to Relax into Stretching from Pavel Tsatsouline
You can find the PDF for free online and you won't get disappointed

Interesting. But in part of the intro in "Why traditional stretching failed you", he gives this example:

Quote:Quote:

Try this test. Can you extend one leg to the side at a ninety-degree angle?

Your leg that is up on the table is now in the position for a side split. Now do it with the other leg:

So, what stops you from spreading both legs at the same time
No, it has nothing to do with your ‘short muscles’.

Listen to this: no muscles run from one leg to the other. No tendons, no ligaments, nothing but skin.
So why can't you?

Fear. Tension.

This is incredibly stupid. Obviously what allowed you to extend both legs at a ninety-degree angle independently was that you were lifting your hip up on each side to assist in the leg lift. Your leg wasn't extending 90'...your hip was extending, say, 30' and your leg was doing the rest.

Now, that's not enough for me to quit reading (I try to extract knowledge out of even far fetched resources), but it's almost enough for me to quit reading.

Also, "Reclaim the buoyant flexibility of your youth"...how can flexibility be buoyant, even in it's most flexible use of the term (see what I did there).

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - debeguiled - 09-03-2017

Good reminder from self defense expert Marc MacYoung.

https://www.facebook.com/marc.macyoung/p...4511819769

Quote:Quote:

"What you gonna do? Shoot me?"
Just watched video of a guy get a chunk of his arm blown off with a shotgun. Here's a hint, when someone pulls a weapon it's time to stop talking about his mother's sexual habits.

Don't watch unless you have to.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - CaptainChardonnay - 09-03-2017

That doesn't look too pleasant!

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - ScrapperTL - 09-12-2017

We have been training a lot of open hand strikes lately for self defense purposes and also with the rising popularity of Combat Jiu Jitsu.

Amazing how everything can go full circle and start back at the beginning again.

You can see Bas Rutten explaining more in deph the utility of it in the article below (Note: Bas Rutten was righteously dinging people with open hands for years in Pancreas)

Here is a great article on the subject from a SWAT Member:
Guide to Open Hand Strikes

Excerpt:
"When I teach striking for self defense and defensive tactics I advise against striking the head with a closed fist, for various reasons related to safety and tactical performance – and in defensive tactics, sometimes the simple optics of the act. I’ve seen too many folks in the aftermath of fights dealing with hand injuries, including officers who punched resisting suspects in the head, to not take the potential for a hand injury lightly."

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 09-13-2017

Who knew that there are still some tough guys in Toronto of all places!!!

Hey Canada guys, are the pizza employees looking at being charged with a crime for punching the robber in the face?

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - kinjutsu - 09-14-2017

Quote: (09-13-2017 03:51 PM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

Who knew that there are still some tough guys in Toronto of all places!!!

Hey Canada guys, are the pizza employees looking at being charged with a crime for punching the robber in the face?

That robber is an idiot along with the 2nd dude that joined in.

Basically they employees would be fine from the legal stand point.
The guy came in looking to rob the place with a firearm. This is cut and dry and no prosecutor would try them for assault when their life was in danger. Because Canada doesn't have Stand Your Ground laws with regards to firearms if they used a firearm to defend the store they would be in trouble legally speaking.

Also the people probably aren't "Canadians". They came into Canada on the foreign worker program, not unlike the HB-1 visa. They wont be in Canada a year from now.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Leonard D Neubache - 09-14-2017

I suspect Canada's laws are similar to Australia's, which is that you can stop a threat but only with the minimum amount of force necessary (faggot laws created by lawyers that have never been in a scuffle much less a life or death situation).

It was explained to me in several security courses that judges and prosecutors have a very static opinion of what you're allowed to respond with. Hands for hands. Bat for bat. Knife for knife. Gun for gun. If the occasion results merely in serious injury to the attacker then it will rarely be pursued. If it results in the death of the attacker then there will always be serious questions asked about whether the victim could have fled rather than fought.

And as always, if a woman is a victim then she can employ any and all means at her disposal regardless of the nature of the attacker and his armaments (or lack thereof). Meanwhile men are held to a much higher set of expectations. A man who defends himself with a knife against a woman who attacks him with a knife will likely end up in a civil court if she's only wounded and in jail if she's killed.

The laws about these matters are functionally one enormous grey zone where you're far better off judging by the political correctness and expediency of the outcome rather than any hard and fast legislation.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - H1N1 - 09-14-2017

If your laws are anything like the UK, which seems likely given our collective history, there ought to be more leeway than that. UK law allows you to use force appropriate to your estimation of the threat in that moment. So, for example, should you stab an unarmed attacker because you sincerely believed you saw him reaching for a knife in his pocket, that would be appropriate force. Should you shoot an intruder in your home, in the dark, in the belief that they were carrying a firearm, then that too would be a legitimate use of force.

Assuming you have taken action in response to a genuine threat, it would be very hard to prove that you didn't believe that you saw the outlined shadow of a weapon in the arms of the guy who broke into your home in the middle of the night.

As always when dealing with the law, you should not say anything in the immediate aftermath other than 'lawyer'. This gives you time to compose yourself and to avoid saying anything which may subsequently compromise your position. Contrary to what the police may try to tell you, this is simply prudent and perfectly legitimate. Your heightened state could lead you to say something untrue or exaggerated which later proved compromising and unfairly prejudicial.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Leonard D Neubache - 09-14-2017

^Not at all the case in Australia, or the standard response would always be "I thought he had a gun".

While the old adage of "better judged by 12 than carried by 6" always holds true, Australia is a nation where the government is truly hostile towards self defence. The left has marched thoroughly through our institutions and so unless you're a protected minority then using excessive force, even if it was only excessive in hindsight, will quickly end up with you facing charges. The prosecution will content themselves with forcing you to prove your innocence and the judge will hear the case, because to throw out a prosecutor's charge summarily would be a bad look for government solidarity.