Roosh V Forum
Post about a manly thing you did today - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Everything Else (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Post about a manly thing you did today (/thread-15766.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Post about a manly thing you did today - n0000 - 08-04-2017

I changed out the timing belt, serpentine belt and transmission fluid on my car. Saving $100+ per hour while hanging out with my buddy is a good days work in my opinion. It pays to be mechanically inclined.

Post about a manly thing you did today - sterling_archer - 08-06-2017

I worked on the pommel and the crossguard. Inscribed lines on the sides of the pommel with the file and crossguard also got some minor changes. Still searching on the net for what I want to make, but its hard. I got the idea for flat surface of the pommel but no idea how would I make this stuff without engraving tools, which even if I would have, would not know how to use.

Tomorrow I will shorten the tip of the sword and make it less pointy than it is and use rotating sanding disc to gently rub the imperfections from the blade. Interestingly while cleaning my attic I found almost unused polishing paste! This opportunity will not go to waste and I will make setup from cloth on a disc mounted in drill to apply polish to sword parts. But after everything is done.

I will not put pictures of anything till I finish. There will be pictures of how it looked previously and how it looks now.

Post about a manly thing you did today - n0000 - 08-06-2017

Quote: (08-06-2017 11:11 AM)sterling_archer Wrote:  

I worked on the pommel and the crossguard. Inscribed lines on the sides of the pommel with the file and crossguard also got some minor changes. Still searching on the net for what I want to make, but its hard. I got the idea for flat surface of the pommel but no idea how would I make this stuff without engraving tools, which even if I would have, would not know how to use.

Tomorrow I will shorten the tip of the sword and make it less pointy than it is and use rotating sanding disc to gently rub the imperfections from the blade. Interestingly while cleaning my attic I found almost unused polishing paste! This opportunity will not go to waste and I will make setup from cloth on a disc mounted in drill to apply polish to sword parts. But after everything is done.

I will not put pictures of anything till I finish. There will be pictures of how it looked previously and how it looks now.

Whoa you are constructing a sword?! You have to drop some pictures!

Post about a manly thing you did today - sterling_archer - 08-06-2017

I will, no worries. This sword I am talking about in above post is the one I made year and a half ago. It was my first attempt at sword and its not functional because of lack of heat treatment (low carbon steel). This thing I did today is redesigning it as it looked very simple and bland.

There are also two witcher 3 inspired swords at work, also same steel so unfortunately not functional. In the near future, a good job will allow me to purchase good spring or high carbon steel to make a real cutter. Until that I am honing my skills on these "decorative" swords that are only suitable for solo hema drills or showing off on pictures.
But I look at this as good lesson, when I get proper still I will have enough experience to work with it.

Post about a manly thing you did today - Alsos - 08-06-2017

Went to the range near my house. Limited myself to handguns to get some much-needed practice and familiarization with a couple relatively new ones.

Crossed that point where I got a "feel" for the sighting and trigger sensitivity on each. Was surprised at how accurate I was with them at 25-30 yards, considering on previous outings I could have hit the target more often had I instead lobbed them like tomahawks.

Got hit in the arm with a ricochet from down the line while aiming for a shot. Nice bee-sting welt. Looked around, didn't see any obvious dipshittery going on, so I took the shot and kept doing my thing. But I probably won't return to this range - I've seen enough near-misses there that I'm taking this as my cue to find another place.

Post about a manly thing you did today - sterling_archer - 08-07-2017

How, are there metal targets so they deflect the shot?

Post about a manly thing you did today - Leonard D Neubache - 08-07-2017

Sometimes range guys use handloads that are ultra slow (to minimise recoil). Factory made rounds usually propel a bullet at no less than 700 feet per second and that speed tends to nearly powder bullets hitting a metal target, and in any case the bullet fragments tend to throw out at a 90 degree angle, but when you're shooting rounds at 300 feet per second then the bullet often fails to dramatically fragment and it can bounce off the plate in part or full heading God-knows-where.

Post about a manly thing you did today - Alsos - 08-07-2017

This was on public land, originally set up and run by local volunteers rather than a formal range. Used to be pretty good, with signs showing range rules and line etiquette and such, regular maintenance, etc. But since the state shut down a wholly unregulated area nearby a couple years ago over using junk as targets and a couple of people getting shot (not just carelessness, but over attempted thefts IIRC), the trash from that place has migrated over and ruined it.

The only group to our right was using metal silhouettes with rifles, at about 50 yards (and they were about 30-40yds down the line). That's the only place the shrapnel could have come from. In hindsight using rifles on metal at that short a distance was not advisable, but they otherwise appeared to know what they were doing (handling their weapons correctly, using proper form, following range signals, etc.). Had it been one of the other groups of yahoos I'd be less inclined to think of it as a freak thing.

Regardless, it was a reminder that the place is no longer safe, and that I should find a different place to go from now on, like a private shooting club.

Post about a manly thing you did today - sterling_archer - 08-11-2017

Ok, so here is redesigned sword. After I had failed to find the means to improve front and back face of the pommel, I decided to call project finished. Pommel got cuts, same as crossguard. Blade got additional sanding, some removal of scratches and some polishing with paste, even though it was not fully suitable for that because of low grit sanding. But it looks much better than before. I had some ideas for handle but it seems faux leather is glued onto the wood so I couldn't remove it and put something else.

In the end, this was not really a true redesign, but more of an look improvement project. Anyways, I think it managed to loose some of the "first sword ever" look it had before and now it looks more professional.

BEFORE

[Image: image.jpg]

[Image: image.jpg]

AFTER

[Image: 3_1.jpg]

[Image: 3_2.jpg]

[Image: 3_3.jpg]

[Image: 3_4.jpg]

Post about a manly thing you did today - Ski pro - 08-30-2017

I just cut down 5 trees using an axe.

Feels good.

Post about a manly thing you did today - Aurini - 08-31-2017

Quote: (08-11-2017 06:41 AM)sterling_archer Wrote:  

snip

That's one solid piece of iron, even if it's not razor-sharp. Well done!

Post about a manly thing you did today - sterling_archer - 08-31-2017

Thanks, but that is nothing compared to what will follow as I learned since then a lot about geometry and shape of swords, for example, what "design" for what purpose and like that. Still waiting to see where can I get proper high carbon steel and who could do heat treating for me. Till then I have to make 3 more non functional swords, 2 of which can be seen on previous pages as cut out blanks.

Post about a manly thing you did today - Glaucon - 08-31-2017

Started to learn bass guitar

Post about a manly thing you did today - roberto - 08-31-2017

Quote: (05-23-2017 05:54 AM)sterling_archer Wrote:  

I would have to find it and check it out. Even though I said its a washing machine motor, I am actually not sure. So you say it has to be more than 3 HP motor in order to work? Any other special things related to motor, or wheels for belt, some kind of substitutes, etc?

Sorry I missed this. It's not that it won't work, it's just there's no substitute for power when it comes to grinding. Not sure what power a washing machine motor is but would guess around 600-800w. If you can get hold of a washing machine motor for free then go for it, and build your rig with space for a second free motor.

If you already have a 9" grinder these are usually around 2000w. You could make a pulley for it and use it to power a belt grinder.

We cleaned up the attic recently and that motor disappeared somewhere (but we didn't throw it to trash!) so I can't say to you for sure what is its power.

Now, let me ask you this. What is the cheapest way to make a belt grinder that will powerful enough for serious grinding? I really don't have thousands of dollars to invest into such machine, no matter how many times I will use it.

For knife finishing, copy this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/belt-grinder-/122666139169

For serious metal removal you need power, torque, vented pulleys, and a surface to push against. I'd just buy something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Belt-grinder-M...2433523433

Definitely cheaper than "thousands of dollars" but still couldn't afford it now. I will try to see where can I get powerful motor around here for least amount of money and go from there.

Post about a manly thing you did today - Tex Cruise - 08-31-2017

Quote: (08-06-2017 01:12 PM)sterling_archer Wrote:  

In the near future, a good job will allow me to purchase good spring or high carbon steel to make a real cutter. Until that I am honing my skills on these "decorative" swords that are only suitable for solo hema drills or showing off on pictures.

I saw a doco once about a big bearded knife maker with a glorious giant beard, and he would only use FJ Holden leaf springs sourced from a cars like this (pic is actually an FX, or 48-215 if we're being really pedantic, but same same)

[Image: fxwreck12.jpg]

Is there something like that where you are that could supply suitable spring steel for cheap or free?

Actually, this is him Simeon Jurkijevic

I could get leaf springs but here is the thing. They are bent and have a hole. I would need heat to straighten them and something to fill the hole. Blacksmiths can easily just fold the spring on itself and draw it again and get the hole free blade blank. I can't without heat.
Also, there is thing regarding usage of particular spring. Those who have been through lot on various trucks and/or cars have micro damages in structure. They are stressed and who knows how will they operate when converted into swords. Knife makers generally don't worry about that as knives are much shorter.

Roberto, look at this idea. Bench grinder with one wheel removed and wheel instead of it. I have bench grinder already, not sure where it is as I said earlier we did cleaning the attic.

Yeah, that'd work. That's the sort of thing I was alluding to when I said you could use a 2000w 9" grinder as a motor.

Have you watched video till end? This guy grinds a file on the sander and do you think I could grind a sword with this setup?

I have metal parts around the house which could be used as a stand, but I would have to buy wheels for belt, this spring at the back and some small wheels for moving setup around.

Ok, so I checked bench grinder. It has 600 W and 150 mm wheels. 600 W is 0.8 HP and guy in the video says his is 0.75 HP.

Post about a manly thing you did today - Uruz - 09-16-2017

Could not post it earlier but anyway.

I am walking with my glass 1l bottle of beer here on Santo Domingo coast and as there is bunch of stuff left from the Spanish I was checking out some monument, around it just dark and palms. Some dude gets up and starts to walk toward me, he has pretty shitty clothes and when I am checking him out he pull some metal object (Not sure if from pocket or he had it stuck in waist line of his pants.) and starts to do some shit with it. As I was collecting melee weapons since I was a kid it sounded to me like a cheap butterfly knife, he walks straight toward me so I step back so our trajectories cannot collide and raise the half full big bottle to about my shoulder/head level, he suddenly changes his path and walks to the sidewalk, I just bounce after a few seconds and when I turn around motherfucker goes back into that dark spot between the palms.

Would say, stay safe out there, but being safe is for soyfags. Crush skull of any motherfucker that tries shit on you.

Post about a manly thing you did today - H1N1 - 09-17-2017

It looks like I might not be around as much this winter for my family as I usually am, so I split enough wood over the last couple of weekends to see them comfortably through the next 6 months. Just finishing up the last of a tree today, and they'll be all set.