Roosh V Forum
Rap/Hip-Hop Thread - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Everything Else (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Rap/Hip-Hop Thread (/thread-52045.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread - texas - 07-18-2016

old-school jam that popped in my head today...great for driving in the rain

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread - the chef - 07-20-2016

Blank Face LP is the album of the year.

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread - GoldHawkStar - 07-20-2016

A lot of good, underrated mixtapes have dropped this summer.

[Image: 1467669491_407fe3b7b464ce11176d6c1a3661d344.jpg][Image: 1468347697_1a97f206fb0467e26d6ba6e9f30083e3.jpg]

And this one just came out last night.

[Image: 1468973118_11ec6741caf0366b5ad5c3c0a6555779.png]

I can tell how it follows up Jeremih's Late Nights mixtape from a few years ago - Sounds are similar, but arguably better. Certified sex music.

This came out a few months ago, but I just got into it.

[Image: 1449377954_b8eae210f013607c826a4dff451f9c69.jpg]

I've talked up BeatKing before, but mark my words: This is the best party/pump-up/listen-before-you-go-out mixtape out there.

I also have Major Key pre-ordered. I'm surprised, I usually don't get albums, but I'm pumped for this one.

[Image: DJKhaled_Major_Key_Cover.jpg]

Quality Street Music 2 by DJ Drama is also coming out on Friday. Funny that the two big compilation-album DJs are releasing a big album within a week from each other. It hasn't peaked my interest, though QSM1 was very good. May download.

What's everyone else into this summer?

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread - WestIndianArchie - 08-04-2016

Quote: (07-20-2016 12:52 PM)the chef Wrote:  

Been steadily banging it. The last one wasn't this good

WIA

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread - GringoSolo - 08-04-2016

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread - QuietDog - 08-05-2016

Quote: (08-04-2016 08:49 AM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

Been steadily banging it. The last one wasn't this good

WIA

Definitely better than Oxymoron but still not on par with Habits and Contradictions, I still love that album

My favourites from Blank Face are Ride Out and Big Body, was gonna upload them but looks like TDE isn't letting anything but sanctioned singles be put up on YT. So here's my favourite Schoolboy track instead

Just found out about this guy Jon Connor recently, apparently he's got an album coming out on Aftermath soon. Hard to go wrong with features from Gibbs and Royce

Still don't know West coast shit as well as I want so I've been digging into Kurupt's discography a lot lately since I read an interview where Kendrick said he was one of his biggest influences

This beat makes me want to punch someone in the face, that baseline is fucking mean. Was listening to this album at the gym for the first time, this song didn't come on until I was almost done finishing up with some shrugs, but I shrugged the shit out of those dumbbells [Image: tard.gif]

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread - QuietDog - 08-14-2016

I can't personally relate to this song at all. Which is exactly what makes it so amazing, a white kid from small town Ontario can connect with a hard-nosed street rapper from the hard knocks of Detroit. Music is an incredible equalizer

Post is just for shit I've been listening to lately
My favourite instrumental album

and my favourite rapper's song

The song that's been stuck in my head lately, that Ice Cube hook has been stuck in my head for over a week now

Not hip hop but I don't know if we have a r&b thread

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread - Suave - 08-17-2016

I got to pay tribute to my bro for introducing me to underground hip hop. This shit is incredible! I've listened to plenty of modern rap and hip hop in the past, and outside of a few songs most seemed bland and the same. They lack flair and artistic direction. It's all commercial now.

So here's a taste of some brilliant tracks from the early to mid-nineties from some underground hip-hop groups. Check out the flow, word jugglery, and delivery. This stuff is art man. Nice tracks, minimal profanity, bit of scratching and smooth instrumentals.

A lot of these songs have a decent amount of bass and little details in the mix. If you have a good set of speakers or headphones, it'll be a better option.

This first one is a very smooth and jazzy track by an underground group out of Houston in the mid-nineties called K-Otix. A very laid back and smooth delivery. I love to put this one on when I'm in the car with a girl.

The next two are by Jigmastas, an underground group from Brooklyn in the mid-nineties. This group is tremendous. Funky beats with elements of jazz and soul. Witty lyricism, slick delivery and flow.

My bro uses this as his entrance song for his muay thai fights. It's smooth and once again the delivery, flow and content are all top-notch.

This one is hilarious. It has a different vibe from both K-Otix and Jigmastas. It's more sexual. Contains two tracks, both very distinct with unique deliveries. Funky with a bit of jazz elements mixed in. In the first song, the second MC's content makes me a bit horny [Image: lol.gif]. Just the way he puts it man. The second track has a whole bunch of MC's including a chick, all with different styles and vibes. It's more upbeat with a funky bass. A very solid track.

Ever heard an underground track about healthy living? Here ya go. Nice content centered around Spanish guitar instrumentals. This underground hip hop group was formed in the mid-nineties on the East Coast. A lot of their songs talk about central themes of life such as happiness, nature, health,etc. Dead Prez.

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread - Suave - 08-17-2016

Continuing from the first post because you're only allowed to post up to 5 videos at a time.

Another one:

This next one isn't underground. They are one the best hip-hop groups of all time. Formed in the early nineties in New York City. Wu-Tang Clan. This songs contains all different MC's, each with distinct deliveries and style. One of my favourite songs by them.

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread - GoldHawkStar - 08-17-2016

Two same-day release mixtapes I've been into this past week.

[Image: 1470775109_1be684171866b117464b8b5d14097892.jpg][Image: 1470787555_c021d5cb5ad4c340a9f0cde9725102ab.jpg]

I've seen OuttaSpace do a lot of collabs with BeatKing, so I had to check it out despite having gained no attention. Underrated. (DL)

As for Makonnen's, this is his best work since his first EP. I've always had a soft sport for him despite the fact that he's universally hated by seemingly every rap fan. Drink More Water 5 & 6 were absolute trash besides a couple tracks. Losing weight and leaving OVO was a good life choice for him. (DL)

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread - UlteriorMotive - 08-17-2016

Two of my favourite UK Hip Hop tracks i've heard to date.

Dirty Dike kills it with his productions.

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread - UlteriorMotive - 08-18-2016

I'd definitely recommend checking T.Page's Soundcloud for those of you who are really into that J.Dilla esque laid back Hip Hop vibe.

Whipped up a quick video for this one to post it.

T.Page Soundcloud

Free Download

-

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread - Il Bersagliere - 08-27-2016

Not sure if there are Young Thug fans in here, but he really outdid himself with this (despite the idiotic cover).

[Image: 83XKh5Q.jpg]

Notables tracks are Harambe, Swizz Beatz, and RiRi.

His style is really an acquired taste. I like the trap/hip-hop hybrid sounds, catchy lyrics, and skillful adlibs.

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread - coverdoc - 08-28-2016

^^ Will check it out

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread - GoldHawkStar - 09-01-2016

Quote: (08-27-2016 11:51 PM)Il Bersagliere Wrote:  

Not sure if there are Young Thug fans in here, but he really outdid himself with this (despite the idiotic cover).

[Image: 83XKh5Q.jpg]

Notables tracks are Harambe, Swizz Beatz, and RiRi.

His style is really an acquired taste. I like the trap/hip-hop hybrid sounds, catchy lyrics, and skillful adlibs.

Man do I like Young Thug but it goes against everything that I stand for to get into an album where the cover is himself in a dress. I don't care what kind of artistic shit that stands for, that's just gay as fuck.

But I have to thank you again for getting me into Flippa because this just came out yesterday and it's his best shit to date. As always he's underrated.

[Image: 1472673926_be0e3740def3181208759dbf7c0e3506.jpg]

Also I Changed a Lot > Major Key.

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread - GringoSolo - 09-02-2016

UlteriorMotive saw Dirty Dike in Edinburgh only 15 or 20 people turned up. It was a real shame he never got more support. Love his stuff. All the 4 Owls crew are dope too.

Had Aystar on repeat recently. Sick MC once you get over the scouse accent...

Is Skinnyman still putting stuff out?

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread - coverdoc - 09-06-2016

Guys 21 savage is the damn truth. I believe Goldhawk told me to check him out. His mixtape savage mode is dark and gritty just like I prefer. Highly recommend it.

On another note Andre 3000 verse on Frank Ocean's album is straight up fire fire fire. It's called Solo reprise.

On another notes: Travis Scott (Birds in the Trap Sing McKnight) and Isaiah Rashad (Sun's Tirade) both released albums recently. I heard that La flame (TS) album is better than Rodeo. I'm listenin to too much new music right now so will save this album for another 2 weeks before listening. Isaiah rashad album is pretty good so far. Not as good as Cilvia Demo, but i'd give it a 7. Will come back to report on Thug and TS in a few days.

-CD

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread - Huey - 09-06-2016

Quote: (09-06-2016 04:08 PM)coverdoc Wrote:  

Guys 21 savage is the damn truth. I believe Goldhawk told me to check him out. His mixtape savage mode is dark and gritty just like I prefer. Highly recommend it.

On another note Andre 3000 verse on Frank Ocean's album is straight up fire fire fire. It's called Solo reprise.

On another notes: Travis Scott (Birds in the Trap Sing McKnight) and Isaiah Rashad (Sun's Tirade) both released albums recently. I heard that La flame (TS) album is better than Rodeo. I'm listenin to too much new music right now so will save this album for another 2 weeks before listening. Isaiah rashad album is pretty good so far. Not as good as Cilvia Demo, but i'd give it a 7. Will come back to report on Thug and TS in a few days.

-CD
You won't be disappointed. I was never much of a Travis Scott fan before BITTSM, but I'm a officially a new convert. All of my friends say I'm a dick rider because I've been bothering them to listen to it. [Image: lol.gif] Replay value, top notch production, good features... definitely album of the year contender.

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread - Le Siamois - 09-06-2016

-CD

Agree, Andre fucking came through on this one.

I thought that TST was better than Cilvia Demo honestly, CD had a few flaws and wasn't as focused.

The beat on this one is on another level.

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread - coverdoc - 09-06-2016

Quote: (09-06-2016 04:23 PM)Huey Wrote:  

-CD
You won't be disappointed. I was never much of a Travis Scott fan before BITTSM, but I'm a officially a new convert. All of my friends say I'm a dick rider because I've been bothering them to listen to it. [Image: lol.gif] Replay value, top notch production, good features... definitely album of the year contender.

Oh shit okay, my boy said the same thing. I'm tempted to start listening to it now, but literally have like 4 new albums in rotation and I notice I don't get as much into every song.

Quote: (09-06-2016 04:40 PM)Don Pablo Wrote:  

-CD

Agree, Andre fucking came through on this one.

I thought that TST was better than Cilvia Demo honestly, CD had a few flaws and wasn't as focused.

The beat on this one is on another level.

Will give TST another listen when these other albums novelty wears off. Bro I was just listening to this ty dolla song today. I listened to the entire album and couldn't really feel any songs on there except Long Time ft Quavo. I'm just not a fan of his style I guess.

-CD

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread - Le Siamois - 09-07-2016

Quote: (09-06-2016 05:26 PM)coverdoc Wrote:  

Will give TST another listen when these other albums novelty wears off. Bro I was just listening to this ty dolla song today. I listened to the entire album and couldn't really feel any songs on there except Long Time ft Quavo. I'm just not a fan of his style I guess.

-CD

Wasn't a big fan of his stuff at first but lately I've been listening to the first part of his album on repeat. It's definitely a grower.

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread - GoldHawkStar - 09-07-2016

^^^Man, Free TC has been out for almost a year now, that's crazy.

I'm not a big album guy but have much respect for Ty$ and had to give it an automatic download when it came out since it was his first album.

Very, very good. Only complaint is it had waaaay too many annoying spoken intros/outros. There's one on almost every track and most of it is the typical talking-on-phone-incoherently bullshit.

May go into iTunes now and edit them out, because that's the only reason I never listen to this album anymore.

Kanye's verse is shit though. Was obvious he wasn't in the studio with Ty. His voice quality sounds awful and out of touch.

Heard he re-released the album months later with all new songs. I'll have to check that out too.

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread - Le Siamois - 09-07-2016

Haha I agree those phone convos are kinda overwhelming, as for Kanye he's just filling the blanks as usual.

But yeah, much respect to Ty$, he's a very talented songwriter. I'm looking forward to his new mixtape coming in 2 weeks, his last songs are very cool. Meanwhile gotta catch up on the new Travis Scott album, Rodeo was dope.

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread - brick tamland - 09-12-2016

Well I wouldn't know who's made the album of the year. But I've just checked out Blank Face, listening to it over the past two days.
It's good enough but it doesn't sound like album of the year to me. There are some good tracks like 'That part' and 'Kno ya wrong' and 'groovy tony'.
'Neva change' has a nostalgic old-school vibe. Track 14 and 15 really sound like 'inspired-by-Kendrick' tracks. There's a rumour Schoolboy didn't want the track that has Miguel on it (track 16).

It can't be easy being on the same label as Kendrick. The comparisons are inevitable. And this album has nothing as compelling as his work. But for any album, by standards imposed for work coming out of any label other than Top Dawg Entertainment, Blank face is a very good album. I'll definitely be playing it for some time to come.

Rap/Hip-Hop Thread - the chef - 09-12-2016

^ he didn't want the Miguel track on the album and it sounds totally out of place, it's just fan friendly.

The quality of Blank Face is up there with the best this year. I try to be as objective as possible with music, but Blank Face just happened to be the villainous sinister sounding shit that I've been craving since Days Before Rodeo (even though the aesthetic of Blank Face is totally different). I put Blank Face at the top just as a collection of body of work as a whole. There aren't any standout "singles" per se, but they album conveys an air griminess, and a polished sound at the same time. When I listen to the album it paints a picture of grit, ie. a kid standing up to a school bully and beating the shit out of him (Groovy Tony), or an athlete enduring a gritty workout at 5AM to get a competitive advantage (By Any Means).

Also, I think Q has a lot to offer. Kendrick puts out great stuff, but sonically, is it easy to listen to? No. It takes effort to grasp his albums, and people who can't admit that are lying to themselves. After 12 hours of studying, the last thing I want to listen to is To Pimp A Butterfly - and this is by no means saying that I don't like the album because it's undoubtedly phenomenal! But what I'm trying to say is that Q has a role, and although he doesn't get the accolades like Kendrick, he puts out quality music. I hate when people say: "oh, but his lyrics.....!" - because that is such a dated view of how to enjoy rap music. Q serves a purpose, and does a damn good job of doing it.

This year was a stacked year for hip hop and RnB in general, but I wouldn't be mad if someone said that Coloring Book is the best album all year. That album was great on all levels as well.

If I had to name the top projects this year I'd say:
Blank Face
Coloring Book
The Life of Pablo
Blonde
My Name is Jeffrey
Still Brazy
blackSUMMERSnight
Lemonade
Untitled Unmastered
maybe Birds in the Trap... but I'm kind of disappointed with Trav considering nothing he's done in the past 2 years has matched Days Before Rodeo.