Roosh V Forum
Whenever you finish a book, post it here - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Everything Else (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Whenever you finish a book, post it here (/thread-43544.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Whenever you finish a book, post it here - QuietDog - 06-11-2015

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

Plot centres around an African man living in the Niger Delta in the Umuofia clan. Takes place when the first missionaries are venturing south of the Sahara. This plays into of the major themes which is a clash between tradition and new ideas.

From a red pill perspective, the main character's have a perspective on gender many here would agree with. Probably pretty obvious, this is tribal Africa we're talking about; the men were men and the women were women and everyone knew it. Apparently one of the worst insults for a man then was agbala which literally means woman. The main character, Okonkwo, had a father who was a lazy man and did't fill his role as a man properly. This constantly shamed Okonkwo and was a major factor in his life because he continually strove to be the best man he could be, unlike his father.

Overall, pretty compelling read. Red pill and had some good insights into a way of life I previously knew nothing about.

Whenever you finish a book, post it here - scotian - 06-12-2015

Quote: (06-11-2015 08:18 PM)QuietDog Wrote:  

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

Plot centres around an African man living in the Niger Delta in the Umuofia clan. Takes place when the first missionaries are venturing south of the Sahara. This plays into of the major themes which is a clash between tradition and new ideas.

From a red pill perspective, the main character's have a perspective on gender many here would agree with. Probably pretty obvious, this is tribal Africa we're talking about; the men were men and the women were women and everyone knew it. Apparently one of the worst insults for a man then was agbala which literally means woman. The main character, Okonkwo, had a father who was a lazy man and did't fill his role as a man properly. This constantly shamed Okonkwo and was a major factor in his life because he continually strove to be the best man he could be, unlike his father.

Overall, pretty compelling read. Red pill and had some good insights into a way of life I previously knew nothing about.

I read the book last year and really liked it, I recently bought another one of Achebe's books called There Was A Country, its about the Biafran war, should be a good read as well.

Whenever you finish a book, post it here - Elizabeth1 - 06-13-2015

Just Finished "A Game of Thrones" which is the first book of the series "A song of Ice and Fire" by R. R. Martin. I started reading it after watching TV Show which is also amazing but I like book more. It is a very good book. The characters are believable, the scenarios make sense, and the story grips you right away! The author is rightly being called "The American Tolkien", and I agree with the it.

Whenever you finish a book, post it here - Honorable Man - 06-26-2015

The Grim Grotto by Lemony Snicket

The Penultimate Peril by Lemony Snicket

The End by Lemony Snicket

Finally finished the series and I am blown away at how everything was resolved. The very last word made my jaw drop. I cannot recommend this enough, and if I ever have children I will definitely read these books to them several times.

M.Y.T.H. Inc. in Action by Robert Asprin

Sweet Myth-tery of Life by Robert Asprin

Reasonably entertaining and very quick to finish.

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

I am absolutely stunned by the quality of this book. I was completely addicted and never knew what was going to happen next. I am pleased that the hype was justified.

Whenever you finish a book, post it here - Honorable Man - 07-01-2015

A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin

Amazing and fucked up. I am utterly addicted.

Whenever you finish a book, post it here - getdownonit - 07-07-2015

Nigger, by Harvard Law School prof Randall Kennedy. Kennedy investigates the legal and cultural history of the word, in an effort to find out what distinguishes the word nigger from other insults. Why is nigger on another level than honky or coon or jigaboo? He goes into detail on different categories of legal cases that involve the word nigger in some way. He even goes off on the Orwellian PC police of the 90s for trying to control people's thoughts and opinions based on 'racial sensitivity'.

It's a pretty short book and not a tough read, though it is a bit skewed towards the legal analyses.

Whenever you finish a book, post it here - thedarkknight - 07-08-2015

Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky. Amazing truly, truly amazing

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/8117HB7WbvL.jpg

Whenever you finish a book, post it here - mickeytee - 07-10-2015

Catcher in the Rye.

Took me back to the way I used to feel about people and life when I was the protagonist's age, i.e., roughly a year ago. Online reviews say it's a must read for every teenager, from which I infer that every teenager is more or less the same, and every teenager thinks they're different from "them". I don't know what to take from it.

Whenever you finish a book, post it here - OBERYN_ - 07-10-2015

Quote: (07-08-2015 02:26 AM)thedarkknight Wrote:  

If you voluntarily finished that book within a month I would be thoroughly impressed.

Whenever you finish a book, post it here - Honorable Man - 07-11-2015

A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin

Man, fuck this book and I mean that in the best way possible.

Whenever you finish a book, post it here - thedarkknight - 07-12-2015

Quote: (07-10-2015 08:52 PM)OBERYN_ Wrote:  

Quote: (07-08-2015 02:26 AM)thedarkknight Wrote:  

If you voluntarily finished that book within a month I would be thoroughly impressed.

According to my Goodreads.com profile I started on May 27th 2015 and Finished on Jun 28, 2015 .

Yeah, of course. I do a science course, so it was all voluntary.

Whenever you finish a book, post it here - Lizard King - 07-12-2015

Recently finished American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis.

It's one of the best books I've read. Incredibly well written, so much attention to detail. An excellent psychological analysis of narcissism and the other conditions Bateman is afflicted with.

If you've already seen the film, the book will not be spoiled, as they removed a lot to make the film(you'll see why if you read it).

Absolutely gripping to read.

Whenever you finish a book, post it here - Lizard King - 07-12-2015

Quote: (05-19-2015 06:24 PM)MikeInRealLife Wrote:  

Breakfast with the Dirt Cult by Samuel Finlay.

Semi-autobiographical account of a young soldier's deployment to Afghanistan and return home, written from a VERY red pill perspective. I enjoyed it quite a bit, having had some rather similar experiences.

He writes for ROK. [Image: thumb.gif]

Whenever you finish a book, post it here - thedarkknight - 07-14-2015

Quote: (07-12-2015 08:38 AM)Lizard King Wrote:  

Recently finished American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis.

It's one of the best books I've read. Incredibly well written, so much attention to detail. An excellent psychological analysis of narcissism and the other conditions Bateman is afflicted with.

If you've already seen the film, the book will not be spoiled, as they removed a lot to make the film(you'll see why if you read it).

Absolutely gripping to read.

I read the book when I was flying back from New Zealand last summer.It's a very funny book. Disgusting and made me wonder if Bret Easton Ellis has some sort of mental illness. I loved the term, " hard body."

I recommend his first work, "Less than Zero." It's shorter but ever so slightly better in my humble opinion.

Whenever you finish a book, post it here - Honorable Man - 07-14-2015

Gorilla Mindset by Mike Cernovich

The best manosphere book I've ever read. Except to see this posted here again and again until it utterly changes me.

Whenever you finish a book, post it here - Lizard King - 07-15-2015

It's at the top of my buy list HM.

Whenever you finish a book, post it here - Pride male - 07-18-2015

My Feudal Lord by Tehmina Durrani. Insight into the female mind and how chicks dig jerks.

Whenever you finish a book, post it here - Glaucon - 07-20-2015

I finished two recently:

[Image: 9781781581612_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG]

and

[Image: 51-jkxpwyzL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

Whenever you finish a book, post it here - robreke - 07-20-2015

The Martian by Andy Weir

A unique book about an astronaut stranded on Mars because the crew thought he was dead. Then, they find out he's alive on Earth and have to return to rescue him. A lot of science in the book about how he survives his long Martian stay and his attempt to rendezvous with his rescuers. The last 3rd of the book was the best. Good if you like these sort of subject matters.

It's going to be a movie starring Matt Damon this fall.

Whenever you finish a book, post it here - thedarkknight - 07-20-2015

The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. Next up is Crime and Punishment.

Whenever you finish a book, post it here - Honorable Man - 07-22-2015

A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin

I get why the average person finds this boring, but that just proves to me that they don't actually like fantasy novels. The world-building here is incredible.

Gorilla Mindset by Mike Cernovich

Even better the second time.

Whenever you finish a book, post it here - nizona - 07-22-2015

Have been on a war / military spurt lately, started with American Sniper which was good, I read it after watching the movie twice and there are lots of thoughts that aren't captured in the movie.

Then read Lone Survivor which was better than the movie and gave surprising insights about Afghanistan in general.

Last book I finished was Outlaw Platoon which was recommended on the forum (possibly all 3 were) and it did not disappoint.

Would recommend them to anyone interested in this genre.

Whenever you finish a book, post it here - whiteknightrises - 07-24-2015

New York The Novel

Epic 1000+ page historical fiction novel about New York City. It uses real events/facts but makes a story around them (made up protagonists, etc).

Starts with Dutch colonization in the 1600's and goes all the way to 2010.

Whenever you finish a book, post it here - Honorable Man - 07-28-2015

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondo

Brilliant and powerful. I would recommend it to every bachelor here and for every married guy to give to his wife. I am going to start my new life this weekend.

Whenever you finish a book, post it here - heavy - 07-28-2015

How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia by Mohsin Hamid

2nd person novel about an unnamed boy who moves from a village to a city, from complete poverty to building a business in Asia. This is a great book. As many reviews state, the story is told by an unsentimental character "I", and neither "you" (the main character), your wife, your son, your brother-in-law, the pretty girl (first bang), or any other characters are named.

This book will cause you to reflect. Prepare for a heavily emotional ending, though you'll see it coming.

Very easy read, tough to put down. And yes, the relationship with the wife reflect reality...ehem, red pill wisdom.