rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Thoughts on Uruguay

Thoughts on Uruguay

Came across this interesting piece in an article about South America. Especially interesting for me is that last line:

"Uruguay

If you’re worried that Brazil is perhaps a little unsafe, Chile is a bit unsophisticated for your tastes and Argentina is just too economically unstable, have you considered Uruguay for your retirement abroad?

This country has been overlooked by Americans and Europeans seeking a retirement destination abroad simply because the country doesn’t market itself so aggressively as an amazing place to visit…however, don’t let that fact fool you into believing that Uruguay has nothing going for it!

Uruguay has the lowest crime rates in Latin America and it is politically and economically stable. What’s more the climate is stable, it doesn’t suffer from hurricanes or earthquakes, and it has fabulous beach resorts that could make for an excellent destination for those looking for the perfect retirement abroad.

The sophistication of infrastructure in Uruguay, the transportation links and the high standard of living mean that Uruguay is not the cheapest place to consider living in South America, but relative to the cost of living in Europe or North America, it is still cheap.

You have a choice of lifestyle destination – from the culturally rich city of Montevideo to the beach resorts along the nation’s extensive coastline such as Maldonado or Punta del Este for example. And perhaps the number one reason to consider living in Uruguay in retirement is because foreign sourced income – such as your pension – can be enjoyed tax-free locally!"

Any of you guys been there? Thoughts?

Edit: Here's the link to the article. http://www.escapefromamerica.com/2010/11...h-america/

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Thoughts on Uruguay

i get the impression that it is homey and conservative....

Thoughts on Uruguay

Uruguay is a great place to retire, and it's being touted for the past 3-4 years as one of the hottest places to retire for people (mainly people in their 50's and above). For our demographic (say in the 20-30's), I wouldn't consider it a great place as it's more of a traditional place better fitted for the older crowd. Girls I hear are nice but kind of cold, mind you not as histericas as the Argies accross the border but not as warm as say Brasileiras. Uruguayan people are in general friendly and when you become a friend with one, it's a lasting friendship and you can really count on them. The cost of living is very attractive, the food is good, specially if you're a meat lover, you'll feel you're in heaven as the meat there is among the best in the world, wines are good and overall, you'd have a quiet lifestyle if you were already married and with kids looking for a place to settle. A place with first world amenities but at 3rd world prices and you wanted to be on the same timezone as North America for business purposes if needed. Overall, I'd visit it for a vacation for a week at most, but I wouldn't use it as a place to base myself let alone retire as it's too quite there. Maybe once in your 50's and 60's that could be an ideal place but now, you'd get bored in no time.

That's my 2 centavos on Uruguay.

Thoughts on Uruguay

Quote: (12-15-2011 06:05 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Uruguay is a great place to retire, and it's being touted for the past 3-4 years as one of the hottest places to retire for people (mainly people in their 50's and above). For our demographic (say in the 20-30's), I wouldn't consider it a great place as it's more of a traditional place better fitted for the older crowd. Girls I hear are nice but kind of cold, mind you not as histericas as the Argies accross the border but not as warm as say Brasileiras. Uruguayan people are in general friendly and when you become a friend with one, it's a lasting friendship and you can really count on them. The cost of living is very attractive, the food is good, specially if you're a meat lover, you'll feel you're in heaven as the meat there is among the best in the world, wines are good and overall, you'd have a quiet lifestyle if you were already married and with kids looking for a place to settle. A place with first world amenities but at 3rd world prices and you wanted to be on the same timezone as North America for business purposes if needed. Overall, I'd visit it for a vacation for a week at most, but I wouldn't use it as a place to base myself let alone retire as it's too quite there. Maybe once in your 50's and 60's that could be an ideal place but now, you'd get bored in no time.

That's my 2 centavos on Uruguay.

Very good breakdown on Uruguay. +1. That is quite true, though on New Years, Punta del Este is a VERY popular destination for the young crowd. It's where wealthy Brazilians, Uruguayans and Argentines go to flash money (think Miami Beach). A bed in a hostel that time of year won't be had for less than $50/night, which isn't bad, but that's just a bed in a dorm. Definitely bring lots of cash to do it big out there.

Thoughts on Uruguay

HH,
Thanks for the rep point!
Spot on about the Punta del Este. Dec to Feb is crazy there from I hear from my contacts in southern Brasil. Have you been to that area HH? (Uruguay and PDE)?

Thoughts on Uruguay

Quote: (12-15-2011 07:57 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

HH,
Thanks for the rep point!
Spot on about the Punta del Este. Dec to Feb is crazy there from I hear from my contacts in southern Brasil. Have you been to that area HH? (Uruguay and PDE)?

Yeah. I spent a couple of days there via ferry from Buenos Aires. It's exactly as you've put it. Really chill, not too many young folks (they go to BA), and a very European-like feel. Nice people though.

I was very torn about whether to go for New Years but my goal was to get laid and I felt my prospects would be better in BA. Some of my boys went to PDE and no one smashed anything. Those chicks are quite prude and stay in their own circles. I stayed in BA and smashed a very cute blond Australian and came all over her face. It was epic!

Thoughts on Uruguay

HC, what about the black Uruguayans? They seem more lively to me. More like Brazilians. I know they have their own flavor of carnival that looks similar to what you'd see in the Caribbean or Brazil. I know there seems to be a bit of racial segregation there too. Did anyone ever explore the Afro-Uruguayan scene?

Thoughts on Uruguay

Quote: (12-15-2011 08:11 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

HC, what about the black Uruguayans? They seem more lively to me. More like Brazilians. I know they have their own flavor of carnival that looks similar to what you'd see in the Caribbean or Brazil. I know there seems to be a bit of racial segregation there too. Did anyone ever explore the Afro-Uruguayan scene?

It's funny you bring that up because one of my contacts in Buenos Aires was this Argentine dude in his early 40s. He moved to Miami when he was 18 and enlisted in the military and eventually joined the State Department and moved back home. He loves black culture and music. He's like that player uncle a lot of black people have in their family. He works for the US Embassy in Buenos Aires and took me around to all the spots where he would trick on chicks my age haha. He'd bump some Jay-Z or whatever in his car too.

Anyway, I say that to say that he was the one who put me onto blacks in Uruguay. He told me about how their first World Cup team ever (in 1930) had black stars playing for them, which shocked the Europeans. Black culture is present in Uruguay, though very small. It has its own style of Cumbia, which is an Afro-latino form of music that's also big in Colombia. Uruguay's black population is at about 5%, which is higher than Argentina. Many of its people are also well-educated, among the best in Latin America, so I felt they were very high-minded people. One of my favorite writers, Eduardo Galeano, is from there. His book, Open Veins of Latin America, is the one Hugo Chavez famously handed to Obama when they first met. Also, one of my boys in DC is half-Uruguayan (his pops), and his dad grew up there yet was very into black culture, especially Jazz.

My contact in BA said blacks are respected in Uruguay and I felt it was more open place than Argentina. Most Argentines just assume you're Brazilian if you're black. The people in Uruguay had a different attitude. They think more like Europeans.

The only black in Argentina I know of is Fidel Nadal, the reggae artist. He does a lot of advocacy on behalf of Afro-Argentine culture; he was on one of the FIFA video game soundtracks a few years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3WGp_ZEGUo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fidel_Nadal..._musician)

Thoughts on Uruguay

I have to disagree with some of the points.

1. Uruguay is not cheap. Especially the capital Montevideo is quite pricey compared to other city in southern Latin America. Food, Drinks, Transportation, Hotels are way cheaper in Argentina. Only on the markets (ferias) you get cheap stuff and, of course, meat is inexpensive. Rents are kinda low, though.

2. While the Uruguayan food is tasty, its not very sophisticated nor diverse. You get very good meat, decent pizza and pasta and thats about it. Maybe some empananda, but nothing fancy like ceviche, cochinita pibil, or other mexican dishes. Of course, the meat is as good as it gets, but once inna while I like too eat some good sushi, or vietnamese food, maybe some greek stuff. Try finding this kinda food in Uruguay, good luck!

3. Some beaches are nice, but nothing compared to Brazi, Panama, Colombia...

4. Weather sucks for like 3 months/year. Not very cold, but lots of rain and maybe like 4-10° during winter. Keep in mind, that the houses dont have radiators.

5. Good looking girls, but prone to bitchy and flakey behaviour. Argie girls are hotter, overall.

6. Punta del Este is imo one of the most overrated spots in LA. Unless you wanna pay European-style prices for everything (eg. club entrance fee can be around 10€), take taxis to get around and party with rich argentinean dickheads, you should avoid the place. The whole vibe is kinda snobbish, upperclass, conceited...Only upside, hot hot girls...

7. What pains me the most about the country is its boringness. Everybody smokes weed, drinks mate tea and is really laid back. Can be kinda fun for some time, but I cant stand this shit for very long.

Coming back to the article and what VC wrote earlier, while it may be a good place to retire, when married with kids etc., its certainly not an exciting one. In a nut shell, if smoking weed, eating the best meat while drinking good wine (try Tannat!) in a chill environment is what you want, then Uruguay might be for you, but if you seek action and excitement, head to Brazil!

P.S. Ive lived several years in Montevideo and have family over there.

Thoughts on Uruguay

There is quite some racism going on in Uruguay, as well. E.g. negros = malandros (thugs) in uruguayan spanish.

Thoughts on Uruguay

Quote: (12-15-2011 08:28 PM)BoiBoi Wrote:  

1. Uruguay is not cheap. Especially the capital Montevideo is quite pricey compared to other city in southern Latin America. Food, Drinks, Transportation, Hotels are way cheaper in Argentina. Only on the markets (ferias) you get cheap stuff and, of course, meat is inexpensive. Rents are kinda low, though.

2. While the Uruguayan food is tasty, its not very sophisticated nor diverse. You get very good meat, decent pizza and pasta and thats about it. Maybe some empananda, but nothing fancy like ceviche, cochinita pibil, or other mexican dishes. Of course, the meat is as good as it gets, but once inna while I like too eat some good sushi, or vietnamese food, maybe some greek stuff. Try finding this kinda food in Uruguay, good luck!

4. Weather sucks for like 3 months/year. Not very cold, but lots of rain and maybe like 4-10° during winter. Keep in mind, that the houses dont have radiators.

5. Good looking girls, but prone to bitchy and flakey behaviour. Argie girls are hotter, overall.

6. Punta del Este is imo one of the most overrated spots in LA. Unless you wanna pay European-style prices for everything (eg. club entrance fee can be around 10€), take taxis to get around and party with rich argentinean dickheads, you should avoid the place. The whole vibe is kinda snobbish, upperclass, conceited...Only upside, hot hot girls...

7. What pains me the most about the country is its boringness. Everybody smokes weed, drinks mate tea and is really laid back. Can be kinda fun for some time, but I cant stand this shit for very long.

Coming back to the article and what VC wrote earlier, while it may be a good place to retire, when married with kids etc., its certainly not an exciting one. In a nut shell, if smoking weed, eating the best meat while drinking good wine (try Tannat!) in a chill environment is what you want, then Uruguay might be for you, but if you seek action and excitement, head to Brazil!

Lol. No. 6 is precisely why I didn't go there for New Years. I also agree Argentine girls are hotter. No. 7 is funny. That's my Uruguayan boy in DC in a nutshell.

Thoughts on Uruguay

Quote: (12-15-2011 08:28 PM)BoiBoi Wrote:  

Boi Boi summed things up quite nicely, I was in Uruguay earlier this year. I took the same ferry from B.A. that Hencredible mentioned. After Brazil and Argentina, Uruguay didn't really do it for me. It's quite a small country and seems very insular to me and a little boring. I was in Punta del este a few weeks or so out of high season and the prices were still out of control. I'm talking miami beach prices. Better and cheaper beaches with warmer water can be enjoyed a few hours north in the southern end of brazil.

"I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of not trying. Everyday hit every wave, like I'm Hawaiian"

Thoughts on Uruguay

Uruguay girls are ugly. Seriously, I've met plenty of them in Miami, and they are never above a 6 in looks with scrawny bodies like cigarette smoker skinny girls.

I have yet to meet an Uruguayan girl that has me drulin' like a little puppy dog chasing after her.

Uruguayan and Chile girls are possibly the worst countries in Latin America for women. Not to mention that they have to compete with Argie/and Brazilian girls looks.

Mixx

Thoughts on Uruguay

Quote: (12-21-2011 09:33 AM)MiXX Wrote:  

Uruguay girls are ugly. Seriously, I've met plenty of them in Miami, and they are never above a 6 in looks with scrawny bodies like cigarette smoker skinny girls.

I have yet to meet an Uruguayan girl that has me drulin' like a little puppy dog chasing after her.

Uruguayan and Chile girls are possibly the worst countries in Latin America for women. Not to mention that they have to compete with Argie/and Brazilian girls looks.

Mixx

Interesting. Your sample size is larger than mine, but the three Uruguyan girls I met in Playa del Carmen were really cute - about 8s. I was kinda excited.

A year from now you'll wish you started today

Thoughts on Uruguay

Mixx

I would not call them ugly, since there are hardly any real fat or obese uruguayan girls, but you are right, in regards tp looks they are far behind argie, brazilian or colombian girls.

Thoughts on Uruguay

The girls are indeed homely and do not invest in their looks as much as their neighbors. Its safe as long as you are not in the western part of old town at night. Otherwise there is nothing unique about the country itself.

Thoughts on Uruguay

For some time I was curious about going to Uruguay, but BoiBoi comments just confirmed what some cats here said to me about the Punta scene..not a very good cost/benefit ratio for me.

Chicks need to be on rotation like a Netflix queue

Thoughts on Uruguay

I had a hard time finding good spots to go out in Montevideo. I asked around and people didn't really knew where to go.

I ended up in low class cumbia clubs where the quality was low.

I don't think i will ever visit that country again unless i had time and money on my hand.

Book - Around the World in 80 Girls - The Epic 3 Year Trip of a Backpacking Casanova

My new book Famles - Fables and Fairytales for Men is out now on Amazon.

Thoughts on Uruguay

Mixx

I wouldn't go that far. Bolivians, Paraguayans, and Ecuadorian/Peruvian girls are the least attractive on a whole. Most girls in those countries look mad indigenous.

You don't see these type of girls (Uruguyans) in those countries.

Thoughts on Uruguay

Quote: (12-21-2011 10:53 PM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

Have you actually been to Uruguay? That picture is NOT the general girls you see walking the streets on a daily basis. You are leading us to believe that girls in Uruguay typically look like the models above when there are only a handful that look like that. I have been to Uruguay 3x!

Here is a more accurate representation of what you will see walking the streets mostly everywhere you go. The first one is even holding what Uruguayans are very famous for, walking the streets with a thermos with hot water under their arms and Yerba Matte in another hand.

I agree however, Bolivianas, Peruanas. Paraguyas are very Indian looking.

Thoughts on Uruguay

Quote: (12-21-2011 11:00 PM)MiXX Wrote:  

Quote: (12-21-2011 10:53 PM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

Have you actually been to Uruguay? That picture is NOT the general girls you see walking the streets on a daily basis. You are leading us to believe that girls in Uruguay typically look like the models above when there are only a handful that look like that. I have been to Uruguay 3x!

Here is a more accurate representation of what you will see walking the streets mostly everywhere you go. The first one is even holding what Uruguayans are very famous for, walking the streets with a thermos with hot water under their arms and Yerba Matte in another hand.

I agree however, Bolivianas, Peruanas. Paraguyas are very Indian looking.

Yeah, I've been to Uruguay and I know those chicks in the pic I dropped aren't representative of the typical girl you see there, but there are blonds and women of European extraction in Uruguay. Most Uruguayans are the same ethnically as Argentine people, but Uruguay has a higher percentage of mestizos walking around.

I was just saying, Chilenas and Uruguayanas aren't the worst in all of Latin America, or even South America. You can't say they are the worst when they have girls like that on at least some level, while there are NONE in the countries I mentioned as being terrible. The countries with high indigenous counts like the ones I mentioned are the worst in South America. Colombia, Venezuela, Brazil and Argentina are the best IMO.

Thoughts on Uruguay

Mark Zuckerberg (the poster child for Beta males) was recently spotted in Punta del Este....

http://gawker.com/5873074/mark-zuckerber...in-uruguay

Oh, and if you're wondering why he's the ultimate beta, read this http://gawker.com/5866094/mark-zuckerber...arried-him

If you were a billionaire, would you accept that?

Thoughts on Uruguay

Don't recommend Uruguay. Chicks as harder like chicks from argentina

Thoughts on Uruguay

Quote: (01-04-2012 08:55 PM)Byzzy Wrote:  

Don't recommend Uruguay. Chicks as harder like chicks from argentina

Im sorry guys, but i think you are wrong. Uruguayan girls are ok, there are ugly ones but also beatiful ones, as in every country in the world. I lived in uruguay a few years and my gf was a solid 8, maybe 9. Dont lie to yourselves, in Argentina and Brazil there are a lot of ugly girls too, forget the models and the produced girls. I'm tired of the big lie that says that argies and braziilian girls are all hot, because they are not!
Argentina has 40 million people and brazil 200 million, Uruguay only 3 million. in a proportionate way Uruguay girls can hold a candle to brazil and argentina.
Simple math!

Thoughts on Uruguay

i forgot also to say, that uruguay is the MOST european country in south america. Forget argentina, buenos aires is now a cosmopolitan city with lots of peruvians, bolivians, paraguayan, chinese, and even black people.