rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Keeping fit for the travelling player

Whilst I do not extensively travel as much as some of you guys on here, i.e. permanent jet-setters.

I travel around a bit and want to know what sort of stuff you guys do to keep fit away from the gym at home when you're out searching for pussy in an exotic country?

I am a fitness freak and would probably go crazy if I didn't exercise after a day or two...so on the road I try my best to hit the gym every few days..although not always a viable option.

The basics are skipping rope, a pair of running shoes and the beautiful outdoors.

I hear exercise bands are good and give a good workout - what are your experiences with these?

Do you have specific workout routines to keep you in shape?

For short trips I generally try to get a free trial week at a local gym or stay at a hotel with a basic gym. For longer stays I will pay for a month to month arrangement at a gym. If all else fails, I just jog and do push-ups and crunches.

I need to get back to my routine because I'm out of shape at the moment, but of course situps, different variations of pushups, and yoga are all great options you can do anywhere. I personally think the best option for mobile players is to design an entire workout you can do without equipment in any location.

Staying involved in outdoor activities is also great because there are plenty of prime opportunities to do this when traveling. Not to mention just walking or riding a bike for local transport.

Also, if you have the loot, always rent a condos, apartments, and hotels with a pool every location you go. For me, nothing is better than getting up in the morning and swimming laps to start the day and it's worth the extra dough (although in cheaper countries it's not that expensive when paying monthly at all). I do a little trick with myself where I decide all I have to do is get up in the morning and get in the pool, even just to dive in and get right back out. It's still refreshing, and if I don't feel like turning it into a workout, I don't beat myself up about it.

I usually end up swimming my laps.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Pushups.

Pack a jump rope. For weight, volume, and cost it may be the single best piece of exercise equipment. It's got cardiovascular intensity, some coordination, enough interest that it's hard to master, and you can exhaust yourself in fairly little time, while not having to brave the elements or bad running areas (not that running in a new place is bad--far from it--but while traveling there's no guarantee that your workout time and place is going to coincide with a nice pleasant neighborhood exploration run).

While it's not saying that much, I got an "excellent" on my last two fitness test runs, and I didn't run a single bit for prep. And I still basically suck at jumping rope (still miss occasionally, can't do too many double-unders in a row).

Hey, if boxers do it for workout prep, it can't be too bad...

Quote: (12-14-2011 06:45 PM)dk902 Wrote:  

Whilst I do not extensively travel as much as some of you guys on here, i.e. permanent jet-setters.

I travel around a bit and want to know what sort of stuff you guys do to keep fit away from the gym at home when you're out searching for pussy in an exotic country?

I am a fitness freak and would probably go crazy if I didn't exercise after a day or two...so on the road I try my best to hit the gym every few days..although not always a viable option.

The basics are skipping rope, a pair of running shoes and the beautiful outdoors.

I hear exercise bands are good and give a good workout - what are your experiences with these?

Do you have specific workout routines to keep you in shape?

Skipping rope is a great full body plyometric workout. Definitely bring a pair of ropes for the road. Calisthenic exercises that use your own body weight as resistance are always good (pushups, situps, etc). Depending on where you go, there are local gyms--college gyms are usually cheap or even free--and public parks or beaches with workout stations (pullup and dip bars), especially in Brazil.

Lots of ways to continue working out while on the road. Weightless squats in which you jump as you come up are a very good exercise as well.

Hell, you could probably keep yourself in shape on the road doing nothing but countless burpees. But I like the rope.

P90X and Insanity make mobile apps for a few dollars.

mountain climbers, handstand pushups or extreme decline pushups (with your feet leaning against a wall while you're in handstand position), plyometric sprinter workouts (lunge jumps, box jumps,squat jumps, drop jumps, frog jumps, tuck jumps), planks, pull-ups, jump rope, hip raises, heel raises, one-legged calf raises, one legged squats, pushup variations (clapping, touching one hand to chest after every rep, balancing on one hand after every every 5 reps, alternating hand position between short +wide after every rep, putting one foot around the other or up in the air).

Burpees are a great exercise you can do anywhere.

Here is a comprehensive guide to an effective workout while jetsetting. I've constructed a travel set consisting of:

http://www.bodylastics.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Fitness-PP...B000Y91ZMY

http://www.portable-pullupbar.com/

All together this weighs about 7 pounds and takes up little room in your bag.

Follow these routines:

http://www.rosstraining.com/nevergymless.html

I can't recommend this book enough.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw10.htm

This is a more basic routine but effective.

Everything you need to stay in shape is in this post and can be done in the hotel room or the immediate area (sprints). Now we have have no excuses for not at least maintaining a proper physique of a playa. Safe travels gents.

Check out Convict Conditioning, written by a guy who designed a full-body progressively loading resistance training workout program using 100% body weight exercises. As the title suggests, he developed the system after becoming the unofficial head PT during 20 years in Riker's, IIRC.

You could also drop in local martial arts gym for a day or two wherever you happen to be. Good way to meet people too.

Blog: Thumotic
Red Pill links: The Red Pill Review
Follow me on Twitter

I find that diet is hard to maintain simply because places like airports offer only things like McDonald's in the way of healthy eating.

Quote: (12-15-2011 12:34 AM)Frost Wrote:  

Check out Convict Conditioning, written by a guy who designed a full-body progressively loading resistance training workout program using 100% body weight exercises. As the title suggests, he developed the system after becoming the unofficial head PT during 20 years in Riker's, IIRC.

You could also drop in local martial arts gym for a day or two wherever you happen to be. Good way to meet people too.

Most of this routine strengthens the ass muscles, to help avoid any unwanted anal penetrations.

Quote: (12-15-2011 01:10 AM)Batata Wrote:  

I find that diet is hard to maintain simply because places like airports offer only things like McDonald's in the way of healthy eating.

One way to handle this is just not eat en route. I remember Anthony Robbins once talking about how people have a misconception that it's okay to eat crappy food when you're on the run or when there's nothing else available but that it was much healthier to just not eat at all.

His point was that it's not like it's going to kill a modern day human to miss a meal. You could just decide to fast for a day while flying.

I believe I recall Tim Ferriss writing about how he just snacks on fruit while flying too.

Just a thought.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Quote: (12-15-2011 01:33 PM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

One way to handle this is just not eat en route. I remember Anthony Robbins once talking about how people have a misconception that it's okay to eat crappy food when you're on the run or when there's nothing else available but that it was much healthier to just not eat at all.

His point was that it's not like it's going to kill a modern day human to miss a meal. You could just decide to fast for a day while flying.

I believe I recall Tim Ferriss writing about how he just snacks on fruit while flying too.

Just a thought.

Depends on the body type. If you're a skinny guy, missing a meal can be devastating. Better to eat McDonald's.

Contributor at Return of Kings.  I got banned from twatter, which is run by little bitches and weaklings. You can follow me on Gab.

Be sure to check out the easiest mining program around, FreedomXMR.

Quote: (12-14-2011 11:51 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

Here is a comprehensive guide to an effective workout while jetsetting. I've constructed a travel set consisting of:

http://www.bodylastics.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Fitness-PP...B000Y91ZMY

http://www.portable-pullupbar.com/

All together this weighs about 7 pounds and takes up little room in your bag.

Follow these routines:

http://www.rosstraining.com/nevergymless.html

I can't recommend this book enough.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw10.htm

This is a more basic routine but effective.

Everything you need to stay in shape is in this post and can be done in the hotel room or the immediate area (sprints). Now we have have no excuses for not at least maintaining a proper physique of a playa. Safe travels gents.

/slow clap...
amazing post.

You should run about 10 miles a week if you want to stay fit and ready for sex. Sounds like a lot but it really is just 5 days a week with 2 miles each day. Not a lot.

I have http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Total-Upper-B...194&sr=1-4
portable pullup bar that is very reliable and sturdy.

Forgot to mention but p90x and Insanity are pretty great for staying in shape. I really like Insanity for the Cardio and you could really just maintain a great physique.. might have to eat more though...(atleast me cuz I have a very fast metabolism at 19 years of age)

Buy a TRX (suspension trainer). It's really night, and VERY versatile. Also pack a jump rope. Do circuits. Here's a basic circuit that I do:

-10 pullups (or use the TRX if you don't have a pullup bar)
-15 pushups
-squats (no weight)
-Jump rope 60 seconds (or burpees if you don't have a rope)
-bicycle kicks
-10 leg raises

do all of this with no rest in between. At the end of the circuit rest for 1-2 minutes. Repeat circuit until you collapse. If it's too difficult than lower the reps, if it's too easy than add more reps, etc. Add/replace exercises.

If you have a TRX there is so much you can do (I'm still learning about the TRX.. definitely going to buy my own soon)

Are you trying to stay trim or make gains? Cardio is fine, but won't really do more than decrease your bodyfat%. Pushups/situps give diminishing returns the more you do them.

Finding a gym is almost crucial. Barring that, invest in a doorframe pullup bar (hanging leg raises are god-tier for abs) and take that on the road with you. You might want to look into Convict Conditioning (all body weight workouts, developed by prisoners for prisoners) if you can't get into a proper gym. But finding a gym, any gym, is the way to go.

Quote: (12-15-2011 07:04 PM)Samseau Wrote:  

Just a thought.

Depends on the body type. If you're a skinny guy, missing a meal can be devastating. Better to eat McDonald's.

Why do you say this Samseau?

Quote: (12-19-2011 11:29 AM)Riker Wrote:  

Quote: (12-15-2011 07:04 PM)Samseau Wrote:  

Just a thought.

Why do you say this Samseau?

Three types of bodies:

1. Skinny guy
2. Fat Guy
3. Perfect Mix

Skinny guys lose fat and muscle easily. For them to gain muscle, they need to eat 2500-3000 calories every day, with tons of protein. They should have some carbs.

Fat guys gain fat and muscle easily. For them to lose weight, they need to keep caloric intake down to 1500-1750 calories a day. They should avoid carbs and ingest only proteins if possible.

The perfect mix is the guy who loses fat and gains muscle easily. They just have to eat a normal amount, 2000-2250 calories a day, and eat clean. Mostly proteins but a few carbs won't hurt them.

Most guys know what type of body they have by age 18, and if you're a skinny guy, you need to eat every single day. I used to eat 3000 calories myself. It was a chore. After age 22 my metabolism slowed down and it's been much easier to maintain a diet.

Contributor at Return of Kings.  I got banned from twatter, which is run by little bitches and weaklings. You can follow me on Gab.

Be sure to check out the easiest mining program around, FreedomXMR.

Pick up a sport. I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and it is in almost any tier 1 city you would want to visit such as Medellin, Bangkok, Moscow (Might be Petersberg, can't remember) Manilla, Jakarta, Singapore, Mexico City, Saigon, Madrid, Barcelona, Paris, Amsterdam, Santo Domingo DR, Bueno Aris, San Jose, Athens and about a couple hundred others I could list. It is damn near everywhere. Even a black belt in Estonia. It is also in many tier 2 cities such as Chiang Mai, Bali (if thats tier 2), Cabarete DR, Cebu, Worclaw Poland, Cancun, Cali and hundreds of others. It's amazing where you can find BJJ.

Not only does it get you in great shape, you also make new friends very quickly while in a new city. Show up to your first BJJ class in a new place and you meet 10-30 guys, most within the 20-35 age range. So you instantly have friends, and probably even get invited out to do shit. If you stay in a place for a few months you will end up making some good friends at the gym, and have a social circle in no time.

Plus what BJJ does for your confidence level and giving you the ability to handle yourself in a confrontational situation is great. Boxing, Muay Thai, wrestling etc. are all great for your mind and the confidence you gain carries over to many aspects of your life, not just thinking you can kick someones ass. I find that when I am not training consistently, my mood goes down, my work ethic goes down, and my confidence to approach goes down. However, if I have been training hard that week, all of those things skyrocket in the opposite direction.

Ok, I'm done with the hard sell lol.

More important than the gym is your diet. If you have not tried Paleo, I highly recommend it. When I first started traveling a lot about 3 years ago, I was eating local foods, which were mostly fried, starchy, and carb loaded. I constantly felt weak, constipated, gained and lost weight, and was in all around bad health. Although I was not drinking alcohol, and was going to the gym almost every day, but I still felt like I was always tired and out of shape. Then on a trip to El salvador, where I was eating rice/beans, and pupusas(fried cheese, beans, and bread cooked like a pattie) every day, I gained ten lbs, so I finally gave up and went home, knowing I needed a change.

When I got back to the states, I read about Paleo on this forum, and decided to give it a try. I won't go into all the details, but let's say since i started three months ago, I've lost 10 lbs, 2 inches on my waist, have more energy, I shit regular every morning, and my sex drive is off the hook. I went back to El Salvador recently, I was eating all the right foods, even though I was eating out three times a day. I went to the gym 4 times a week, and I was getting laid three times a day. No joke. (One girl, no I am not super-player).

For all you travelers who think you can't stay healthy on the road, try Paleo, stay true even when you are eating out, and trust me, you will feel a difference.

I usually make it a point to get a one week pass while I am traveling at the local gym. I was very impressed with some of the gyms in Brazil and Colombia, especially the Body Tech gym chain. They have multiple locations, and it is large, clean, ample, and they welcome foreigners. I do agree with some of the guys that you can stay in shape without going to an actual gym (such as doing P90x); however, i find for me personally it is much harder to get motivated and workout while i am at my pad.

I've added two more items:

Jump rope. I realize now how effective they are. Use it 2x per week for HIIT. Jump rope all out for 1 minute, then slow jump or walk for 2 minutes. Do this 6-8 times. Avoid jumping on concrete if possible.

Also, this is amazing:

[Image: attachment.jpg4790]   

http://www.amazon.com/The-Grid-Revolutio...900&sr=8-4

It works. In countries where massages can be had on the cheap, you won't need it. But for everywhere else, it's a must. It works wonders on my lower back. It takes up some space, but you can stuff your jump rope, vibrams, resistance bands, or socks and underwear inside it to maximize space....or a bottle of booze. [Image: idea.gif]

I slide it on my arm and pretend I'm Samus from Metroid. This aggravates the pure fuck outta my coworkers.