rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Iceland: Now featuring 4 hours of daylight!

Just hit iceland yesterday, here for four days on a stopover bound for Ukraine.

Don't look for data sheet, others have done better and I'm a LTR guy not a PUA guy, but some information is useful to both types of us.

Please don't blast me if I don't cover what you want or if you disagree, it's just my impressions, and the price is right.

First off, I'm over 50, 5'9", 50-50 Scandinavian-Italian; and average looking.

Some procedural details: Iceland is on British time, so the sun rose today (Dec 4) at noon. it's now 3 PM and it's late afternoon. BY 6 PM it's night; Reykjavik is the northernmost capital in the world. However, it never gets cold like northern or central Russia because of the surrounding sea, so the lower limit is about 15 degrees fahrenheit by the coast.

(1) THE BRAIN-DEAD NARRATOR ARRIVES ON THE RED-EYE

There are apparently only something like two inbound planes a day in the winter, the 8-hour overnight flight really was really draining for me in a packed 747.

There was one stunning, tall blond stew who kept smiling and staring at me. She was something like 5'11". When I went back to her station to ask for water I saw she was in her late 30's, but with killer genes so she was aging magnificently. Her face was so well-defined there was nothing to sag to show age. I was peacocking a bizarre combination of long, wild blond hair, a white shirt, black tie, and jade necklace.

Contrastingly, I had a window seat next to a chubby Icelandic couple who offered me my first hint of Icelandic coldness and personal space perception. When I needed to go the bathroom they simply shifted their knees a little to one side, apparently inviting me to push by them or climb over them by stepping on the front corners of their seats. ( I did the latter)

Another effect of the two-plane a day setup is if you are on the 6:45 AM arrival and are slow in getting your luggage together, you miss that morning flybus to the city (about 45 minutes trip ) and taxis are about $100. The next flybus is 8 hours later when the 4 PM flight comes.

This happened to me-- my fault-- I am very disorganized and absent-minded and didn't realize what was going on. But there was no announcement "The bus leaves in 10 minutes. This is the last bus."

So at 8:00 AM when I asked at the excursions tour desk, the woman explained the bus only came when there is a flight, I had missed it, and the next flight and bus were 8 hours later. I had no idea this airport was so tiny and intermittently used, even in the winter.

I was pretty bummed, I was kind of a wreck after the long redeye, and getting raped for a $100 taxi is not my idea of fun anal sex. There were taxis outside.

I walked around a bit trying to deal with whether to hang around all day ( the airport has little to entertain you, it's like a very, very, small city's airport in the USA--absolutely nothing like a secondary airport such as, say, Minneapolis) and a driver approached asking if I wanted a taxi. I said "It's too expensive" and he replied "How much would you like to pay?"

I thought, "Well, it it's 45 minutes, and I can get to my apartment for $70 and not waste the whole day-- " so I offered him that (Icelandic conversion is easy, a kroner is a little less than a penny) and he immediately accepted 7000 kroner.

I stayed at 37 Apartments, it's pretty nice, I paid about $75 per day. It's not a hotel, the landlord? manager? lies in a house behind the apartment building and there is a full kitchen with pots, pans, and kitchen utensils.

I slept almost immediately and woke in total darkness at about 6 PM. I stumbled to a store named "24", bought some eggs, cheese, and brown bread, ate and fell asleep almost to the next day.

(2) FIRST DAY OF NOT BEING TALL IN ICELAND

Fcuk. There goes another 6'5 model-looking guy. I'm exactly 5'9" ( barefoot) and guys who are 6'0", 6'1" are not that intimidating because my face shows my toughness (years of work in prisons) and self-control. But when guys are over about 6'3" I feel that the difference is really great, I just start to look inferior to the simple-minded female.

I could see it on the street when I was passing a chick who was 5'11" or so-- she would scan me from 20-30 meters away and her body language would shift slightly to "This is a guy I'm not going to IOI".

So this was the first thing I noticed out on my first walk in Iceland. And the dudes are mostly tough looking too, except the real young ones, who can giggle like girls if they are 6'4" and still have the girls giggling with them.

Bottom line, I think the 8, 9, 10's in their 20's were well out of reach just like in America for me. Cute but more stocky chicks still IOI a little. Overall, I'd say I got a slightly better reaction than in the USA.
In Iceland, a stocky chick (not a fattie, just not model-thin) with a beautiful, sharply defined face will cue me-- in the USA she thinks she's a 9. Once again, the facts indicate anything's better than Murka.

Good side: There were a lot of 30-something 6-7's who'd been left behind in the Princess race and were making eye contact. I'm presuming diagnosis was Baby Fever.

Ethnic Openness Observation: I saw two brothers with Icelandic chicks on my morning walk out of a few dozen or so couples I saw One was very tall, the other average with a shorter chick. The brothers looked American to my eye, not sure how I judge, a more relaxed, athletic walk than African guys, and also they weren't really dark, they just looked American to me. I also saw four obvious American black guys in a group(spoke with American accents). These four had less elegance and poise than the brothers with chicks.

(3) Where does all the money come from?

As Roosh said, everything is painfully expensive, in the "24" store a razor set ( some hi-tech Gilette with a couple extra blades) was $20 as opposed to maybe $8-12 in the USA. Most restaurants are wildly overpriced, with main entrees alone $30-40. I think Roosh spent enough time to dig up some less formal, cheaper ones. One thing that occurred to me was there isn't much else to spend your money on but drinking. It's so dark and gloomy that the inside of a warm, cozy restaurant did look delightfully inviting. But not for me at those prices.

Clothes are also unreal in the main shopping district, up to $100 for wool long underwear which is less than $60 in the US.

I saw no, zero, street (panhandlers) people.

I looked up their exports to try to figure out "How do they live like this" and came up with: Fish and Aluminum exports. Maybe when you only have 320,000 people, you don't need to export that much to keep everyone comfortable. Also, apparently all their heat comes from geothermal and it's distributed without a huge take off the top to the Ruling Class, so that expense is mooted.

(4) Bred to be Tough, Not Nice

This is the overall impression I got from people here. Males whom you ask for help in a store or for directions gaze at you with fairly frank disdain. No way are they friendly. Women were more helpful ( they always are with me, haha) but not particularly warm.

I started to think about the genesis of Iceland and the resulting genetic heritage. Who would have come HERE to live in the 900's or 1000's? Someone who didn't want to be bothered by anyone I bet. Then who could have SURVIVED here a thousand years before electricity? Some tough, [unsympathetic?] mofos.

I wondered, how many people drowned on fishing forays in the thousand years before electricity came and apparently made them wealthy via aluminum? How much did that inculcate a culture which had a disdain for weakness and aversion to the foolish? I got lost here my first night out walking, first I asked some guys in a bookstore-- they tried to help, but weren't very sympathetic that I was lost in a foreign country when it was 17 degrees out. You don't want idiots on your crew going out in the Arctic on a fishing boat, do you? Why did this idiot get lost? I eventually found a 40-year old female clerk in a hotel who looked up my apartment and figured out where I needed to go.

That's who they are. I have found the other Scandinavians significantly nicer, and like Roosh, I doubt I'll be back.

However, since Roosh put the idea in my head of displaying "BANG ICELAND" in a cafe, I may go on a social suicide mission to see what reaction I get.

Quote:Quote:

since Roosh put the idea in my head of displaying "BANG ICELAND" in a cafe, I may go on a social suicide mission to see what reaction I get.

Do it.

As for sunlight, it gets worse around New Years. What eventually does come through the sky for 2 or 3 hours a day shouldn't even be called sunlight.

[attachment=3750]
Quote: (12-05-2011 11:26 AM)Roosh Wrote:  

Quote:Quote:

since Roosh put the idea in my head of displaying "BANG ICELAND" in a cafe, I may go on a social suicide mission to see what reaction I get.

Do it.

As for sunlight, it gets worse around New Years. What eventually does come through the sky for 2 or 3 hours a day shouldn't even be called sunlight.

Everyone wants to see SOMEONE ELSE make a fool of themselves. Well, if you're already a fool, there's no risk!!

Just a quick note, since I'm guessing (interocular distance/(interocular distance to nasal base distance) / interocular distance))) is among the critical elements of face recognition, I'm trying to remain as unrecognizable as possible

Here I am in my cozy Reykjavik apt overlooking the shopping street, with the evil book, ready for battle.

Let us know what sort of reactions you get!!

As for a cheaper, more casual place to eat out I second Roosh's Sea Baron recommendation. Make sure to taste the minke whale.

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

Good place to do it is the Kaffitar coffee shop, sort of across the street from the b5 club. Lots of people there in the afternoon.

[Image: lol.gif]

Man it would be so funny if there were like 10 guys there with the book, like a flash mob of sex tourists who want to quilt and isolate.

edit: God the ideas are flowing. Okay hold it up in the coffee and take notes, like you're studying biology and shit. Have a couple "aha" moments.

Check out Kaffi Hljomalind too, an organic coffee shop where there will be plenty of hipster kids sitting around.

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

This could be a great story in the making.

BTW: the reason Iceland is expensive is because there's only 320,000 people there. Getting normal consumer goods up there is a pain in the ass, so of course it will cost more than in the US or even Europe, where you're not at the end of the Earth. Iceland has the most northerly capital in the World (if you ignore Greenland).

As for myself, if you get that Scandinavian attitude that Roosh also discovered, you can try sharpening your tone to let them know they're crossing a line. Hard to do if you're a tourist, of course, but if you can pull it off, they often become apologetic.

A year from now you'll wish you started today

Nice report.

A local guy explained to me there demeanor as just being the "Icelandic" way, I get the feeling they are like that with each other.

Make sure you check out Blue Lagoon when you are leaving. I also enjoyed the Sea Baron, still dreaming about the Lobster Soup and Halibut.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

The funny thing is people may think you're an Icelandic guy trying to bang his own women.

Quote: (12-05-2011 06:28 PM)ElJefe Wrote:  

BTW: the reason Iceland is expensive is because there's only 320,000 people there. Getting normal consumer goods up there is a pain in the ass,

I absolutely see your reasoning why everything's expensive, the part that's hard to get for me is where does everyone get the money to pay the prices?!

It's a fucking (eerily beautiful) bare rock!
My limited research indicates main exports fishing and aluminum. I guess cheap geothermal makes the aluminum possible, and enough of that brings all the overseas goodies in.

Thanks for the reminder on the Sea Baron. I wander around looking dazed with heavily insulated ski pants so I look like a dumb school kid. Next to the 6'5" Viking dudes I believe I look much like a Chihuahua.

There may be a new type of game - Chihuahua Game - where you outsmart the humorless Viking studs by being amusing and snarky. If the Icelandic girls can get it. Doubtful.

Quote: (12-05-2011 08:02 PM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

Quote: (12-05-2011 06:28 PM)ElJefe Wrote:  

BTW: the reason Iceland is expensive is because there's only 320,000 people there. Getting normal consumer goods up there is a pain in the ass,

I absolutely see your reasoning why everything's expensive, the part that's hard to get for me is where does everyone get the money to pay the prices?!

It's a fucking (eerily beautiful) bare rock!
My limited research indicates main exports fishing and aluminum. I guess cheap geothermal makes the aluminum possible, and enough of that brings all the overseas goodies in.

Also tourism, technology (software, video games and biotech), pharmaceuticals, entertainment (music is one thing, but ever heard of Lazytown?).

It's a fairly diversified economy even if about 40% of exports are fishing related.

I never understood how people in Europe get their cash. Dude in Greece tells me he's going on vacation. From what? You have a job? Guy in Norway lives in a million dollar house and drives a cab with a thousand dollar a month payment and drinks 20 Sweet dreams and san Franciscos a night at 30 bucks a pop. Ok? One thing I did notice is that they sell off things slowly left to them from generations back. Land , art etc..

Oh and I forgot..They save big by not taking showers and buying tini water heaters and laundry machines

Don't forget EVE Online, which is 100% Icelandic.

Quote: (12-05-2011 08:56 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

I never understood how people in Europe get their cash. Dude in Greece tells me he's going on vacation. From what? You have a job? Guy in Norway lives in a million dollar house and drives a cab with a thousand dollar a month payment and drinks 20 Sweet dreams and san Franciscos a night at 30 bucks a pop. Ok? One thing I did notice is that they sell off things slowly left to them from generations back. Land , art etc..

Oh and I forgot..They save big by not taking showers and buying tini water heaters and laundry machines

family money w/few kids. parents die and leave houses to their kids so they have no mortgages. high degree of tax evasion. so if you drive that cab and make 4k a month in fares, pay 1k to the cab, duck taxes on most of the rest and dont have a mortgage you can afford vacations and bar tabs

Also things like interest only mortgages are popular in some regions. The Netherlands is one example I've heard of.

Iceland got rich off of the housing bubble. Fishermen were literally selling their boats in order to do what they were doing on Wall St. back in the 2000s, but...in Iceland.

I don't know what the economy is like over there now given the collapse.

Quote: (12-06-2011 12:28 AM)Batata Wrote:  

I don't know what the economy is like over there now given the collapse.

I can tell you there's no one on the street wearing less than $500 worth of clothes. I'm in the central city however. Iceland told the world to f off when their banking system went insolvent ( the depositors were some little guys, like Brit pension funds, and some of the usual multinational parasitic scum ruling/leeching class) , and that has actually worked well for iceland-- they're not bearing down under mountains of debt like Greece is now expected to do .

There was a referendum or election and the people were asked whether they wanted to bail out whoever lost in the deals, unlike the USA they said "no". The USA borrowed the money to give to Wall St. from their [grand]children's tax receipts.

Quote: (12-06-2011 12:25 AM)ersatz Wrote:  

Also things like interest only mortgages are popular in some regions. The Netherlands is one example I've heard of.

Scandinavian countries have monetarized basic care-giving tasks like child-care, elderly-care. This creates, all else being equal, a larger economy even if productivity per worker is MUCH lower than in the US. In addition, this pushes up prices all around relative the rest of the world. for instance, your average Dane has a much, much lower purchasing power in denmark, but as soon as he goes to the US, he is mad rich. This in spite of lower productivity.

Without being an expert in the Icelandic economy, I imagine this is part of the deal.

And the $500 clothes you see means less money for other sectors of the economy. Or they just bought that shit at H&M and know how to make it look good (then buy expensive accessories only). Another important feature of Nordic economies is the "covered bond" system which allows for very, very cheap interest rates on mortgages. Paying an average of 3% over 30 years vs. 5% on a $500,000 mortgage is... a lot of money.

Anyways, I don't mean to hijack the thread. Looking forward to hearing how the rest of your trip goes, IKE.

A year from now you'll wish you started today

I mentioned similar observations when I was in Sweden. While I prefer the capitalist model, Swedish socialism seems to make a mockery of capitalism. It definitely passed the eyeball test. I was blown away by how much spending, how well kept, and how comfortable they were. It was impressive.

Good luck with that display, LOL!

only 4 hours of daylight? So all day game becomes automatically night game... [Image: biggrin.gif]

"Fart, and if you must, fart often. But always fart without apology. Fart for freedom, fart for liberty, and fart proudly" (Ben Franklin)

Quote: (12-06-2011 07:49 AM)Luckystar Wrote:  

I mentioned similar observations when I was in Sweden. While I prefer the capitalist model, Swedish socialism seems to make a mockery of capitalism. It definitely passed the eyeball test. I was blown away by how much spending, how well kept, and how comfortable they were. It was impressive.

I don't want to derail the thread too much, but the commonly held view that Sweden is socialist is simply not true (in the sense of the public/state ownership of the means of production.) Sweden's industry is, and has mostly been, overwhelmingly private and its economic policies in the past 20 years since their various asset bubbles burst have been very pro-business. What's different about Sweden is their incredibly high tax rates, extensive welfare system/social net and the lowest Gini coefficient in the world. People seem to be confused by their comparatively left-wing politics and mentality (in the classical sense,) i.e. creating an egalitarian society, and conflate the redistribution of wealth with socialism, but this in no way means the country is not capitalist.

I can't have sex with your personality, and I can't put my penis in your college degree, and I can't shove my fist in your childhood dreams, so why are you sharing all this information with me?

I characterize high taxes with extensive welfare, health care, and education safety nets as being socialistic. Traditionally, in Canada, we have the similar policies which are often (even proudly) considered socialist. Perhaps it is because we are right beside a greedy capitalist country that we take pride in our socialistic policies. Canada's policies in the last 10 yrs has been more capitalistic, but relative to the US, we are still often referred to as socialist by many Canadians and Americans. I would say it's a matter of perception. Sweden is much like Canada in many, many ways.

Whatever's going on these people have something going right from their point of view. An isolated, far northern location with the only resources fish, geothermal, and the people's smarts-- and they're almost all living like upper middle class Murkans, except they're WAY better looking and healthier. Males have [one of] the highest life expectancy in the world.

It's just a little odd trying to fit in as an outsider; I've seen maybe 1% non-Caucasians, some asians and mixed people.

It's sort of like a successful inbreeding experiment. The only thing I could compare it to would be the WASP aristocracy that rules Murka; but they have a whole underclass to exploit.

I think I might be able to find a niche here long-term; they are pretty humorless and eventually I could be entertaining enough ( especially combined with my very good musical ability) think I would win some friends over. But whether I'd feel it was worth it is the question.

I've actually found some food items seem to be subsidized, mainly solid pure ones, and the prices are actually like the recently inflated ones in Murka.

For instance, I found a kilo of oatmeal for about $4.00 which is about what Quaker Oats is and goes a LONG way ( probably 15 dishes) , real orange juice from Brazil for about $4 for a liter, a little more than Tropicana in the US. If you shop really carefull and stay away from restaurants I don't thing anyone should let food prices keep them away from competing with the 6'5" Vikings here. Maybe you, too, can perfect Chihuahua Game!
If I could bring a hot Ukrainian wife here, it might not be too bad, there isn't a huge amount of mobility here and I wouldn't be so dependent on socializing with them. It might serve well as a first world destination that wouldn't really offer a lot in terms of hypergamy due to the small population and the competition from hot Icelandic chix.

I've made my omelet with three one-dollar-each eggs, and am readying for the excursion to the cafe for the Book Sale!!
I'm a bit afraid no one will ever see the book, they maintain pretty low eye contact ratio here it seems.

Win with Chihauhau Game!!

I imagine fish and other varieties of seafood are the only cheap forms of sustenance in Iceland.

Dude the best and cheapest grocery store is called Bonus. I lived on the smoked salmon which i found to be cheaper and better than what we get in Canada.

To eat out the average meal for two people was like 4500Kr, which is around $45. When you are ready to treat yourself, head to the harbour, the fishandchips.is place is there as well as Sea Baron.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com