rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Foam rollers: Your thoughts?

I recently bought a foam roller for my back and after using it several times I can feel my back being less stiffer. Anyone else here using a foam roller?

Used them a few times after running. Prevents u from getting too sore for sure.

They are essential. Any man who is not using one is missing out.

Great for your back, even better for your IT bands.

Any recommended exercises?

foam roll your IT band. Softening the IT band can help with knee issues

Quote: (12-01-2011 07:57 PM)wolf Wrote:  

What do you do for training or athletics? What kinds of soreness and tightness do you have?

I'd recommend a few times a week or preferably daily working your back, down to your glutes and the major muscle groups of the legs. If you have tight IT bands those need to be worked on a lot. If you aren't sure about how to isolate any muscle youtube is rife with clips.

Also, I mostly use it for day-to-day stretching and self-massage but I think a lot of PTs use them for more serious issues.

Quote: (12-02-2011 10:29 AM)gypsy Wrote:  

Quote: (12-01-2011 07:57 PM)wolf Wrote:  

What do you do for training or athletics? What kinds of soreness and tightness do you have?

I'd recommend a few times a week or preferably daily working your back, down to your glutes and the major muscle groups of the legs. If you have tight IT bands those need to be worked on a lot. If you aren't sure about how to isolate any muscle youtube is rife with clips.

Also, I mostly use it for day-to-day stretching and self-massage but I think a lot of PTs use them for more serious issues.

I'm mainly using it for my back. I have been slouching as a kid, so I want to get my back straighter. I had doctors look at my back and they said its fine, just lazy on my part by not sitting up straight and etc.

Foam rolling is the shit. I actually don't feel much of a difference on my back, but for my quads, IT band and calves, it has made me far more flexible and ended a few nagging injuries.

Blog: Thumotic
Red Pill links: The Red Pill Review
Follow me on Twitter

Awesome stuff. After moving I wasn't sitting correctly when using my computer and leaning in alot, so my back started to hurt. Started foam rolling, no more problems. Make sure to hit as many spots as possible. My personal trainer in DC taught me about it.

They are great, a necessary part of my life for the past three years.

After skiing for legs and back.
After squat & deadlift day for legs (probably wouldnt make it home if I didnt roll)
After bench and row days. I can feel the muscle tenderize between my shoulder blades and roller.
If I am on the computer for long stretches I can hear my spine click back into place as I roll it.

Quote: (12-01-2011 06:44 PM)wolf Wrote:  

I recently bought a foam roller for my back and after using it several times I can feel my back being less stiffer. Anyone else here using a foam roller?

foam rolling is awesome, actually buying one is a waste of money.

Simply buy a fun noodle (for the swimming pools) and put some pvc pipe in the middle for support.

As far as exercises, just sit on it and roll up and down it areas that are tight/have knots/have muscular pains until it hurts. Repeat frequently.

They are essential. If you workout they seem to help you recover much quicker. I believe they work by pushing most of the blood out of your muscle tissue. It then rushes back in allowing greater perfusion.

I recommend them. I had constant knee pain from workouts and jogs until a trainer showed me how to use a foam roller to stretch out my quads.

One of the best things ever. Check out the rumble roller.

How much did it cost? Where did you get it from? I live in Canada and I want to get one. Where to go?

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

Quote: (12-05-2011 10:43 PM)Moma Wrote:  

How much did it cost? Where did you get it from? I live in Canada and I want to get one. Where to go?

amazon.com sells them.

Start with the green one.

I have the roller but you should try out a theracane, almost as good as a massage. They sell it on Amazon

Quote: (12-05-2011 10:54 PM)MikeCF Wrote:  

Quote: (12-05-2011 10:43 PM)Moma Wrote:  

amazon.com sells them.

Start with the green one.

Mike, please pardon my dumbassedness but can you provide me with a link to the green one for amazon? And why do you say I should start with the green one. I've started up my exercise regimen so I want to ensure everything is firing just right..

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards

I think you can also use a tennis ball for smaller areas. Moma: if you cant find one try making one by getting a bit of foam (kind of like noodles when you swim kinda foam) and wrap it around a piece of pvc pipe.

Does anyone have a link to how to do the rolling part of foam rolling?

Western, I can't be arsed to be macgyvering shyt at home. I'm too busy/lazy. I just want to come back after the gym and start rolling out my knots. No DIY desired.

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards

Quote:Quote:

(kind of like noodles when you swim kinda foam) and wrap it around a piece of pvc pipe.

That a good idea, I think thats maybe what weight lifters use.

A phone book and duct tape also works (yeah Moma, real MacGyver shit right there)

or even better yet, get yourself a nice lizard to massage you after the gym. smart.

I noticed that you put down tennis balls. I tried that a few times and would take the wind out of me. It obviously works well, but fuck it was painful in places.

Even now with foam rolling, when I hit my tensor muscles it sends shocks into the system. Might have to hit some of the broadway massage parlours for some leg work.

yeah, i've been using it for the past little while for my glueteus medius, gets me through my squats these days. super painful though