rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How is teaching english in Colombia?

I've heard it's pretty mixed in brazil considering many people told me it's easy to find work but it doesn't pay enough to live somewhere like Sao Paulo.

Also I speak portuguese but I don't speak any spanish at all.....j/w wondering with just me being a native english speaker how easy would it be to find a job teaching english there and how much it would pay as well?

dont expect to be pay much as brazil, saudi arabia or korea. most people who teach english in colombia, just make enough to have a minimal lifestyle. you will be able to buy food, get around and the occasionally going out with friends. dont expect to splurge.

Since when does Brazil Pay anything over subsistence wages? I've never heard it categorized in the same sentence with Saudi and S. Korea. What's changed? Seriously, I'd be interested in any new info.

lol year S.Korea, Saudi pay like really great but in Brazil your looking at like R$30hr or 800-1200 per month.

So your saying Colombia is worse paying than Brazil?? Brazil > COLOMBIA.......but also isn't Colombia much cheaper to live in rather than Brazil where the cost of living is very very high

I made a complete data sheet on teaching English in Colombia. You need to check it out.

Colombia is one of the best if not the best/highest paying country in SA for teaching English relative to cost of living. Def higher than Brazil on a whole.

Quote: (11-30-2011 07:26 AM)Dash Global Wrote:  

I made a complete data sheet on teaching English in Colombia. You need to check it out.

Colombia is one of the best if not the best/highest paying country in SA for teaching English relative to cost of living. Def higher than Brazil on a whole.
@ DASHGLOBAL: WOW! really?? that's awesome....I'm going there soon and have about 4 colombian friends I'm going to catch up with who are all well educated maybe Í could look into while I'm there.

Also where can I find this data-sheet you constructed..I'm really new here

I'd disagree with 'minimal'. Your big issue is class cancellations and shutting down for a month at a time during Xmas and again in the summer. You should be able to 5x your rent when you're working at a decent place

Dash's thread is a bible for teaching English, great info ere

@Whodat

Dont get the wrong idea. Your not gonna be making bank most likely without doing a ton private. But you will make enough to live and have some fun, on a budget anyway.

Here is the thread. http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-5141.h...ombia+data

@Rinestone

Thanks for the props.

30BRL per hour in Brazil?? ..

I think that's pretty good,that's about £12 per hour.

But I guess it's only good if you're teaching 7-8 hours a day X 5

Whereas more than likely you're doing 3-4 a day.

Quote: (11-30-2011 02:23 AM)hydrogonian Wrote:  

Since when does Brazil Pay anything over subsistence wages? I've never heard it categorized in the same sentence with Saudi and S. Korea. What's changed? Seriously, I'd be interested in any new info.

In Belo Horizonte, Brazil I'm making 31 BRL an hour working for an English school. Teaching private students I can charge around 50 BRL an hour. I'm working about 3 hours a day which by itself would be just enough to get by but I'm also supplementing my income with translation jobs. My schedule is pretty nice because it gives me a lot of free time to work on other business ventures.

Colombia isn't a very good place for English teaching, especially Medellin. I was there in February looking for work as an English teacher and the prospects weren't very good. Some of the bigger schools were paying around 10,000 COP per hour for teaching which is like 5 dollars an hour. I had a few privates that I was charging 30,000 COP an hour, but I had to run around to their apartments and would spend about 7000 of that on bus fares.

^^

Medellin is arguably the worst place in Colombia for trying to teach ESL.

Quote: (11-30-2011 01:24 PM)Dash Global Wrote:  

^^

Medellin is arguably the worst place in Colombia for trying to teach ESL.

I would be living in Bogotá but hey who knows....maybe I hit it off with this girl or maybe not i'm pretty sure she would let me live with her if she wants a relationship or just as friends if I wanted to stay there for 6months to a year to teach english exploring another country.

She would prob not even charge me she is so nice, if she did it would be prob a very small fee for rent or food.

The only problem would be if we don't hit it off and are just friends with me living there....that would suck because id have to bring back girls to someplace that isn't really mine lol vs brazil where love motels are great option in a situation like this

So you're moving to Colombia for a girl you've never met or what?

Hell no lol, I already know this girl from a previous study abroad and I have a few other friends there as well.....I would be back in Brazil to be honest it's so much more expensive and you need a gay ass visa too which colombia doesn't require me to get

I figure I'm saving so much money going here instead, see someplace new.....re-connect with this girl again maybe it goes somewhere maybe it doesn't I'm not too concerned about it.