rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Video Blog Idea

Video Blog Idea

I love this community. Ever since I joined, before my first real trip abroad to Medellin, the forum has always provided value on everything from game, to travel, to lifestyle design, and I've even met some cool cats from on here. You know who you are.

Im currently in Pai Thailand, which is what Chiang Mai used to be 10 years ago-- quiet, tiny, and growing fast.

For those that don't know, I'm in my 20's and retired, living off a 6-figure passive income from rental properties that I acquired over 2 years with borrowed money.

What does being in Pai and having oodles of time have to do with anything? It gives me a lot of time to think about what I want to do next!! Unfortunately, traveling and picking up girls starts getting old after a while and I need a project to build.

I want to run an idea for a project past everybody and get some feedback. All types of feedback are welcome, as long it's honest. This is not a project to make money, although I would like it to be as popular as possible. I know how to monetize and I'm just not interested in making more money at this time, so please don't tell me about affiliate marketing or adsense.

Here it is:
Remember the show "Blind Date"?

Here's a clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxdnZ_3FnDA

Essentially I want to make new episodes of Blind Date built for the internet. Meaning, it would not be just for entertainment, but the viewers would have the opportunity to have discussions in the comment sections about what happened good/bad, what a pussy the guy was or what a bitch the girl was, or what they did right.

I'd like to take it a step further and even give loyal viewers and commenters the ability to play cupid and help me with matchmaking.

The feedback would help not only the daters, but other viewers as well. I've scoured the web and found tons of video about pick-up, but few videos of dates. My understanding right now is there is no other reality internet series out there about dating.

To keep it funny and entertaining, Blind Date edited-in corny jokes (you know what I'm talking about). Rather than do that, my idea was to have a panel of 2-3 hilarious/witty people watching a tape of the date giving funny feedback, which I would insert clips of into the date as it's happening.

I would probably break each date into 2-3 episodes.

To find daters, my plans are newspaper ads, craigslist, and passing out business cards at bars and clubs in my area. I read somewhere that applicants for The Washington Posts "Date Lab" were waiting years in some cases to finally get their date. This tells me that there are a lot of people out there interested in getting set up on a date.

What do people think of this idea? What potential problems am I overlooking? Can it generate a lot of views? Are there any other projects that have done something similar? What tips would you give to improve the show?

Video Blog Idea

I am tryin to do something similar to this with MixxTV online, and really, the only thing I learned you truly need in abundance is $$$, and then, some more $$$. I spent nearly 5,000USD in camera/lighting/audio equipment - and that's a VERY MODEST BUDGET! Because if you are going to do a video blog, the last thing you want is for it to stink like an amateur on a macbook and imovie slapped together without any real thought, money and eye-candy.

PM me and we'll exchange skype details if you want to bounce ideas back and forth.

Mixx

Video Blog Idea

I hate those corny jokes on blind date (my post about blind date) and love your idea of having a panel to discuss the date as its happening.

Mixx is right, production value counts. If you look at the people making money on youtube (charlieissocoolike, nice peter, that ray whatever tool - the guys making $1,200 a day +), they put a lot of money into their production. The people with shitty production value are the people who aren't recognized.

The idea of a panel is a great one! If you get this off the ground, give me a call because I'd love to take a shot at being on that panel.

Video Blog Idea

Here's my expected start-up expense:

-Decent HD handheld camcorder for low light Canon VIXIA M400 $329
-Macbook Pro with Final Cut Software (I need a new laptop anyway) $2000
-2 wireless lapel microphones with mixer $140
-Memory, tripods, bags, lenses $150
-Basic lighting setup $85
-Newspaper Ads $200
-Have my lawyer draw up release form $200

That's about $3300, or $1300 without the new computer. Not so bad for starting up considering I can always upgrade later and buy more cameras as the show proves to be successful. I believe this equipment is about standard for a lot of the youtube professionals.

Video Blog Idea

Quote: (11-25-2011 12:32 PM)gringoed Wrote:  

Here's my expected start-up expense:

-Decent HD handheld camcorder for low light Canon VIXIA M400 $329
-Macbook Pro with Final Cut Software (I need a new laptop anyway) $2000

I would definitely bump up that Canon Vixia, to an HFS-100- you can get a used one for about $1000.00USD. Start looking at pro-sumer cameras, not consumer cameras. I have a CANON HFS 100 I want to sell. It's in like new condition, PM if you want details/pics. I'm asking $900USD firm, and it comes with complete wide angle lens, hood, UV filter and many extras...

I also have a MBP. Again, imo, do not go cheap here either, especially if you want to start doing video editing, and audio tracks on it. Give your MBP max memory up to 8GB, and at least max-out i7 processors. DO NOT COMPROMISE YOUR PROJECT BECAUSE YOU WANT TO "SAVE" MONEY HERE...You'll regret it later!

You can buy memory from this place: macsales.com - they have an excellent reputation!

IMO, the last place you want to go cheapo is the actual video camera itself, and your computer. Cut corners on advertising, marketing, or lawyer fees...but not equipment.

Mixx

Video Blog Idea

Quote: (11-25-2011 12:31 PM)Alpha Wrote:  

I hate those corny jokes on blind date (my post about blind date) and love your idea of having a panel to discuss the date as its happening.

Mixx is right, production value counts. If you look at the people making money on youtube (charlieissocoolike, nice peter, that ray whatever tool - the guys making $1,200 a day +), they put a lot of money into their production. The people with shitty production value are the people who aren't recognized.

The idea of a panel is a great one! If you get this off the ground, give me a call because I'd love to take a shot at being on that panel.

True, but none of the youtube guys got started with the high-end stuff. I think on Youtube viewers are more tolerant of lower production values. It is, after all, youtube.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like get the best production possible but I also don't want to put tons of cash into an idea that's going to fail.

I think the panel could be very entertaining with the right people. I believe they had a panel on VH1's The Pick Up Artist, and even though they weren't that funny, the panel was a great idea.

Video Blog Idea

The "youtube guys" started back when NOBODY had high end shit. You have to be top quality today. EVERYONE is trying to be the next big youtube star. You need every edge you can get.

Vice-Captain - #TeamWaitAndSee

Video Blog Idea

Quote: (11-25-2011 01:01 PM)Gmac Wrote:  

The "youtube guys" started back when NOBODY had high end shit. You have to be top quality today. EVERYONE is trying to be the next big youtube star. You need every edge you can get.

I wouldn't agree with this. Check out Epic Meal Time's first episode. It was shit. Their debut was October 2010. Only a year old, and killing it.

I agree with Gringo. Take action now, get your shit out there and see how it performs. See how people react to it before dropping serious dough on it. Great thing about Youtube is that people are f'in brutally honest.

If your bringing quality,interesting, entertaining video content that people want to subscribe to, video equipment isn't going to matter when first starting off. Sure it would be nice to have quality equipment, but me personally, I don't give a dam if something was recorded on a Iphone or Canon Z-T373338, as long as I find it entertaining.

Video Blog Idea

NUjabes?

Is your handle based on the musical genius Nujabes that was killed in a car accident in Japan?

Mixx

Video Blog Idea

Quote: (11-25-2011 02:37 PM)MiXX Wrote:  

NUjabes?

Is your handle based on the musical genius Nujabes that was killed in a car accident in Japan?

Mixx

Yeah. About late '07, early '08, a friend of mine returned from Japan, and he told me about this cat, Nujabes. Telling me how this guy was taking the underground scene by storm, tearing it up. I said " Nu Who?", and the rest is history. He was lightyears ahead of his time. His music puts my soul to ease.

If your feeling his music, check out Nitsua,DJ Okawari, Ruto,Shin-ski, Blazo, Nomak,Raujika, Cai, Michita, Asitaka, Ayur, DJ Sly, M. Hisataakaa, Takero Ogata,Emancipator,Uyama Hiroto- One dream. I could go on for days...lol

Talking about Blog ideas. It would be kickass to run like a radio/podcast show. Good music, great convo, live chat room on your passion. I was thinking of doing something like this with the music above.

Even though I don't trade stocks, I still like to visit daytradingradio.com. Kinda do it the way he has it set up. He plays great music. All kinds of sick tracks, has a following, and talks about his passion.

Video Blog Idea

Quote: (11-25-2011 01:57 PM)Nujabes Wrote:  

Quote: (11-25-2011 01:01 PM)Gmac Wrote:  

I wouldn't agree with this. Check out Epic Meal Time's first episode. It was shit. Their debut was October 2010. Only a year old, and killing it.

I agree with Gringo. Take action now, get your shit out there and see how it performs. See how people react to it before dropping serious dough on it. Great thing about Youtube is that people are f'in brutally honest.

If your bringing quality,interesting, entertaining video content that people want to subscribe to, video equipment isn't going to matter when first starting off. Sure it would be nice to have quality equipment, but me personally, I don't give a dam if something was recorded on a Iphone or Canon Z-T373338, as long as I find it entertaining.

They were successful because they had a new idea and great video editing / execution. You'll notice the video quality improved drastically, very quickly.

Along those lines, I recommend Vegas by Sony for video editing, used it for years.

Video Blog Idea

Quote: (11-25-2011 03:30 PM)Nujabes Wrote:  

Quote: (11-25-2011 02:37 PM)MiXX Wrote:  

NUjabes?

Mixx

Yeah. About late '07, early '08, a friend of mine returned from Japan, and he told me about this cat, Nujabes. Telling me how this guy was taking the underground scene by storm, tearing it up. I said " Nu Who?", and the rest is history. He was lightyears ahead of his time. His music puts my soul to ease.

If your feeling his music, check out Nitsua,DJ Okawari, Ruto,Shin-ski, Blazo, Nomak,Raujika, Cai, Michita, Asitaka, Ayur, DJ Sly, M. Hisataakaa, Takero Ogata,Emancipator,Uyama Hiroto- One dream. I could go on for days...lol

Nice!! Yeah, I definitely feel Nujabes, I've listened to his tracks for many years since I started messing with a Japanese girl in Orlando (whom i did not bang sadly).

Speak of which, I need to get my Japanese flag some way soon, but I keep hearing they are blonde/blue eyed groupies.

Mixx

Video Blog Idea

+1 for Vegas

"but I keep hearing they are blonde/blue eyed groupies." Very true Mixx. He told me he made out like a bandit over there.

Video Blog Idea

Quote: (11-25-2011 08:12 PM)Nujabes Wrote:  

+1 for Vegas

"but I keep hearing they are blonde/blue eyed groupies." Very true Mixx. He told me he made out like a bandit over there.

Problem is I am Latin, not anglo-white. [Image: dodgy.gif]

Mixx

Video Blog Idea

Its far more expensive than that if you want decent equipment and production values. The editing software usually in the 1 k range. Possibly 2000 if you include composting software. Think if you need green screen, removal of names or labels of people for copyright reasons, and blurring of faces when necessary. A decent camera will be most likely 1800+, one with 3ccd sensors (colors are split from recording to separate chips, very good quality picture and low light capabilities). Extra batteries, whatever your recording media (I used miniDV back in the day) may run several hundred bucks. You will need at least a tripod (150-300+), maybe steady cam if your moving around a lot. Lighting, reflecting disks, light readers, speakers, grips for holding the speakers, clamps, light gels, could all cost up to 3000+. You also need multiple assistants to operate the different equipment. I majored in animation in college so used a lot of the equipment there for classes. I also used them in my last job for training videos.

Marketing is another tricky aspect. You need a way of going viral so you hit a big audience on youtube and vimeo, which are decent video distribution methods.

Video Blog Idea

Quote: (11-25-2011 08:39 PM)kbell Wrote:  

Its far more expensive than that if you want decent equipment and production values. The editing software usually in the 1 k range. A decent camera will be most likely 1800+, one with 3ccd sensors (colors are split from recording to separate chips, very good quality picture and low light capabilities). Extra batteries, whatever your recording media (I used miniDV back in the day) may run several hundred bucks. You will need at least a tripod (150-300+), maybe steady cam if your moving around a lot. Lighting, reflecting disks, light readers, speakers, grips for holding the speakers, clamps, light gels, could all cost up to 3000+. You also need multiple assistants to operate the different equipment. I majored in animation in college so used a lot of the equipment there for classes. I also used them in my last job for training videos.

Marketing is another tricky aspect. You need a way of going viral so you hit a big audience on youtube and vimeo, which are decent video distribution methods.

100% hit the nail on the head. Every single thing kbell mentioned, I ended up having to buy, or risk looking like an amateur whom nobody takes seriously. I even bought a steadycam device since I was moving around a lot, and most of my shots were taken on the street/field, not in an indoor TV studio.

The crew to operate lights/camera/audio is another expense.

I basically started seeing this balloon up to 20KUSD in start-up costs EASILY, and I am not talking about a high-end production job, this is very MODEST!

Anything less, and you look like the other 1million videos being uploaded to youtube daily with Iphone cameras and inexpensive consumer camcorders.

I spent $10,000USD in equipment, permits, and personnel just to film in Colombia, and now I am tasked with going viral and a marketing team that can make it happen after I finish editing (more money). That 10kUSD does not even include my travel expenses.

Take a look at my promo vids, they are simple, but the sound and video/light quality is excellent.

A lot of people (make that 1 million per day according to Youtube upload stats) think they can be "one of those video producers that started with nothing" like Justin Bieber's mom filming Justin on piece of shit video camera, and make it big.

yeah....good luck with that.

http://www.reelseo.com/youtube-statistics/

Mixx

Video Blog Idea

Above two are correct.

You can get any and all software for free, virus free @ piratebay. The software won't help you though if you don't have a top notch, dedicated team to assist you with the shooting / editing... not to mention all of the fine details of a running a small business that people tend to forget about.

You HAVE to spend money, but you can cut a few corners too. I love piratebay [Image: wink.gif]

Video Blog Idea

Quote: (11-25-2011 09:34 PM)Gmac Wrote:  

Above two are correct.

You can get any and all software for free, virus free @ piratebay. The software won't help you though if you don't have a top notch, dedicated team to assist you with the shooting / editing... not to mention all of the fine details of a running a small business that people tend to forget about.

You HAVE to spend money, but you can cut a few corners too. I love piratebay [Image: wink.gif]

The problem with PB, is that most of the software you can download is windows only. Now we all know, 99% of creative software for video/music etc run on MACs.

Mixx

Video Blog Idea

Seems like you cats are spending a ton of money on these video projects. What happened to bartering and finding a different way.

I've been working with professional videographers, and photographers, and got them to join in as collaborators to some projects I had. One had over $3K worth of equipment for his camera that we used, and I didn't pay a dime. I just provided a lot of value, that it made sense for him to team up with me.

Video Blog Idea

Quote: (11-25-2011 09:47 PM)JofSuperman Wrote:  

Seems like you cats are spending a ton of money on these video projects. What happened to bartering and finding a different way.

I've been working with professional videographers, and photographers, and got them to join in as collaborators to some projects I had. One had over $3K worth of equipment for his camera that we used, and I didn't pay a dime. I just provided a lot of value, that it made sense for him to team up with me.

If you are filming in one single city where you live/or are well known, sure it makes sense to start networking, but when you are showing up to countries/cities you do not even speak the local language, OR/AND you don't know anyone...money talks and bullshit walks my friend!

Mixx

Video Blog Idea

Another aspect is that quality filming equipment will disrupt most dates. When people know they are being filmed they act for the camera. Usually doing something really stupid too like looking at the camera. The lights get extremely hot and could cause people to be like a deer in a headlight or at least unnaturally. There may be inconspicuous lighting but I don't know much about it.

I completely forgot about travel expenses. If you have a crew, you have to pay for them too. That could be softened if you offered some of them (most likely beta if they are really good at filming) pussy and shelter. I'm thinking the costs per hour for film guys may range from 20 up to 100 per hour. You also may be able to rent or lease equipment at a lower cost.

Video Blog Idea

you could do a hidden camera kind of deal then after get release forms or something. might hurt you if the person is really not into it and wont let you use the material who knows.

Video Blog Idea

"Cut corners on advertising, marketing, or lawyer fees...but not equipment."
What good is professional equipment if you have nothing to shoot? Cut corners on advertising and marketing and I might not have any participants. I'd rather have an amateur product than no product at all! Cut on legal and I expose my assets, which is worth far more than $20k.

6 years ago I shot a documentary film and spent less than $100. My only expenses were mini-DV tapes and DVD's to burn it on. Everything else was borrowed, including the time of my friends. I used almost no supplemental lighting, did 90% of the shots on my own including the interviews, and often used the microphone in the camcorder. It was no James Cameron film but I screened it in a movie theater and none of the feedback I got was about the production value. Why? The important thing was the content, which overshadowed everything else. I agree about upgrading the computer hardware though.

Keep in mind, I'm not expecting to get 100k views per video using this equipment. This is start up equipment to test the idea.

Video Blog Idea

Quote: (11-25-2011 11:01 PM)kbell Wrote:  

Another aspect is that quality filming equipment will disrupt most dates. When people know they are being filmed they act for the camera. Usually doing something really stupid too like looking at the camera. The lights get extremely hot and could cause people to be like a deer in a headlight or at least unnaturally. There may be inconspicuous lighting but I don't know much about it.

I completely forgot about travel expenses. If you have a crew, you have to pay for them too. That could be softened if you offered some of them (most likely beta if they are really good at filming) pussy and shelter. I'm thinking the costs per hour for film guys may range from 20 up to 100 per hour. You also may be able to rent or lease equipment at a lower cost.

I'll just have to wait and see how much people are disrupted by the cameras. My thinking is that people have seen so much reality television by now that they'll know what to expect and mentally prepare for it. I actually see it as a positive in that people will try to be really witty/funny/interesting to perform for the camera, which is a good thing. They will know that people will be watching hoping to be entertained. Plus, I can edit out any stupid moments.

Video Blog Idea

Let's move the discussion away from production value and into content, which I think is more important. I'm afraid the date might be too bland and boring and I'm thinking of adding a twist to it, perhaps something that the viewers can contribute. Maybe a small "challenge" or "dare" provided by a loyal viewer to the show. It doesn't have to be this, I'm open to ANY IDEAS that make the date more interesting to watch.

What can be done during the date or in the editing room to make the date more interesting to watch?

I'm not stingy, if anybody contributes a good idea that I end up using, they'll get acknowledged on the show.