rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How important is social status to you?

Hey guys, first real post.

It's become clear to me since I started reading about game that having a 'high status' job isn't necessary, or could even be detrimental to your dating life. (presumably most high status jobs require lots of time invested)

I've been in Korea teaching English for the last couple years. I dig the job, low hours, low stress, and its usually pretty engaging. Of the 2k I make every month, I can save at least half that, all while still going out all the time and buying pretty much anything I want. Also, Asian girls, who I've always had a thing for.

My plan on coming over originally was always to stay for a few years, pay off my student loans, then either go back to school or look for a government job in Canada. Lately though, I've been thinking more and more about just getting some more qualifications and continuing on doing ESL.

I'm not really sure what I'd be going back to Canada for, you know? I've always kind of known I didn't want to have kids, so I don't have that white picket fence dream to motivate me. ESL is considered a low class job by lots of people, but money-wise I'm doing just fine, and once I've payed off my student loans I can think about working in places like Latin America, where the money is much more subsistence level. I've still got the travel itch, and it seems like going this route would let me scratch it nicely.

Anyways, I'm kinda wondering how you guys feel about status. Do you want to be an executive some day, or work some kind of high status position that nets you respect from society? Would you look down on a 50 year old guy working a job that is typically dominated by fresh out of university kids? How much does status matter in your future plans?

Quote:Quote:

Do you want to be an executive some day, or work some kind of high status position that nets you respect from society?

Be true to yourself. Worrying about what other people think or some kind of artifical expectations on you is insecure and the mark of the beta.

Society doesn't care about you. "Masculinity" and "honor" are ways that women manipulate men.

Would you look down on a 50 year old guy working a job that is typically dominated by fresh out of university kids?

No.

Especially if he's banging college-aged chic. [Image: lol.gif]

I honestly don't understand Americans' obsession over "age-appropriate" jobs and "age-appropriate" marriages and relationships.

How much does status matter in your future plans?

Why would a man want status? That's just like a man selling out for money.

Hello.

I want an executive/high status position some day. The benefits I'd really like most come in the form of money and the security/lifestyle it can provide. I also want a shitload of kids (literally as many as I can possibly father and legitimately support), so there's that too. I simply can't imagine not reproducing, that'd be a nightmare to me (and also the complete end of my family line-I have no full siblings or first cousins). I wouldn't look favorably on just 1 or 2 kids either-I'm going to want 4 at an absolute bare minimum, and many more if I can at all afford it.

That being said, I'd be lying if I said the status/perception that comes with those positions wouldn't appeal to me as well. It really always has. Even if it isn't the main thing, it is a factor.

At the end, I guess you can say that it all just comes down to my own ambition. Like the great Wale Folarin said:

"Ambition is priceless, It’s something that’s in your veins"

I can't help it. All of the male figures in my family I've looked up to in my life have striven for and reached those heights. I've dreamed of doing the same since I was old enough to dream. I've also been expected to do the same. Its in my blood-I can't live another way.
I pay a pretty big price for all of this now, of course. Whereas most people are having "fun" in college, I'd say my life pretty much sucks. I spend an inordinate amount of time working. No car, relatively little pussy, no money, etc. I'm pretty bummed out most of the time, rarely am I happy here. It is a stressful grind.
Then again, that's the best route to success in my mind: work now, play later. I struggle now and I will have decades to enjoy the fruits of my ambition later on. I only get one shot to do this (the chance passes when you get older), so I will make the most of it now. It is already starting to pay off.

Until then, I occupy myself with game, school and bodybuilding.

As for other guys and the jobs they work, I could care less. If there is one thing going to an Ivy has taught me, its that a prestigious pedigree and a high salary do not make for a superior human being.

Know your enemy and know yourself, find naught in fear for 100 battles. Know yourself but not your enemy, find level of loss and victory. Know thy enemy but not yourself, wallow in defeat every time.

The nature of social status is that very few have a lot of it. If everyone had status, well, status wouldn't be status. Since it's a luxury of so few, maybe only the top 1% of the population, you'll hear lots of responses from the 99% rationalizing their mediocre stations in life.

It does matter. Oh, and I'm talking about real status, not the manager at a local TGI Fridays.

If you don't believe me, go out with a group of IB bankers from Goldman Sachs one night and broke construction workers the next night. You tell me which you'll prefer. The reality is, however, that very few people will have the right mix of genetics and environment (luck) to ever reach the highest rungs of society. So in a way, for their own happiness, it isn't so bad they delude themselves into thinking it doesnt matter.

Quote: (11-24-2011 11:09 AM)mangadooza Wrote:  

The nature of social status is that very few have a lot of it. If everyone had status, well, status wouldn't be status. Since it's a luxury of so few, maybe only the top 1% of the population, you'll hear lots of responses from the 99% rationalizing their mediocre stations in life.

It does matter. Oh, and I'm talking about real status, not the manager at a local TGI Fridays.

If you don't believe me, go out with a group of IB bankers from Goldman Sachs one night and broke construction workers the next night. You tell me which you'll prefer. The reality is, however, that very few people will have the right mix of genetics and environment (luck) to ever reach the highest rungs of society. So in a way, for their own happiness, it isn't so bad they delude themselves into thinking it doesnt matter.

It's true that we all delude ourselves into thinking we don't want the things we can't have to a certain extent.

But that's the beauty of it. If we weren't wired to do that, most of us wouldn't be able to cope.

That said, status is just a means to an end. Would it be nice to walk down the street and have people ooh and ah? Sure, of course. But it's not essential.

Personally, I want poon, enough money to do some traveling and have a decent lifestyle, and the freedom to go where I want when I want.

If I had to give up my freedom for status, there would have to be a payoff somewhere in there to make it worthwhile. I wouldn't take the status at the expense of giving up my freedom to do what I want (for example, become a politician). If I got offered the job of CEO in a large company, having to work 80-hour weeks, I'd do it only because the money would be insane, but the status wouldn't really affect my decision much. (I'd still want to quit after a couple years. I couldn't fathom working that much for the next 30 years.)

When my status is high. I get more pussy.

Status=female attention. If it is displayed correctly.

Of course Game is still required to bang them and keep them around for free.

Yeah, I get that status often correlates with having money, thus the bank execs/broke working class comparison. I wouldn't be happy with my current situation if I wasn't doing reasonably well financially. There are plenty of low status jobs that offer more than enough for a single childless guy to live a good carefree life, and I'm starting to think that may be the way to go for me.

My dad busted his ass all his life to provide for his family, and only in the last few years has he really gotten to a position where he can enjoy the fruits of his labor. (mid range 6 figure salary for relatively cushy working conditions) I respect the shit out of my old man, he was 18 when my mom got knocked up with me, but he knuckled down and started building a career from scratch. Thing is, he's glad that I'm not caught up in the same rat race. He's happy that the hard work he has done has given his children the options that he passed up/lost when he was young.

Oh and I'm not really asking for advice for myself per se, I was more asking just to see how you guys feel about the subject.

Interesting topic. I have worked for a solid 15 years in a high status occupation, never liked it though. However, I'm now in a financial position to try something else, such as English teaching. My advice would be to pursue something that genuinely interest you, assuming you can earn enough to support yourself doing it. If not, find a job you can do that provides the most cash for the least amount of work; thus, leaving time for your interests.

Just my 2 cents.

Most high status types in the USA are extremely boring. They're typical family oriented suburban types who have almost no life outside of their career. They also seem to love golf which is as lame as it gets.

I got a good taste of it when I was in school getting an advanced degree. Trust me, most of those people aren't the kind that you're going to have fun around. Picture some jackass dressed like he's inside a Dockers commercial talking about his boat and what private school his kids are in.

Classic video Pilgrim.

Status gives you access to people, places and experiences that you would not otherwise have access to.  

Machiavelli thought that getting ahead in life was half fortuna (fortune or chance) and half virtú, meaning manliness or the ability to seize and tame the opportunities that fortune throws your way. Status makes it easier for you to seize opportunities and get the most out of life. It's a means to an end. Figuring out what the end is for you is the hardest part.

Status will help you get laid, but it's rarely universal: Some of you are getting status and money mixed up. Status and money go hand in hand, but you don't need to be filthy rich to have status. Building status can be done on the cheap if you're smart about it. Think the local musician who gets groupies. Or the thug with street status who gets a lot of ass. Or the blonde player who goes to the Philippines immediately has higher status than the local men. Status is relative; it's specific to particular environments.

You can have huge status in one sphere yet have none - or even negative standing - in another sphere. Women are hypergamous everywhere on the planet. Status will help you fuck women everywhere, but unless you're filthy rich / rockstar / Hollywood actor your perceived status will vary between environments. A wealthy Goldman banker may be surrounded by hot models when he goes out in the Meatpacking district, but he can easily be out-played by a broke artist who has more status in a hipster environment.

Status gives you access: Status will help you get invited to that fashion show afterparty where you meet hot young models. Charity donations and the status they bring will get you invited to that charity ball where you can try to fuck the socialite you saw on Page Six. In almost all cases status does not trump game in whether you get to fuck her, but without status you won't meet her. (Let's not get into the debate of whether famous girls have golden pussies. I know I like fucking a girl I've seen on a billboard).

Status helps you achieve your goals: Status greases the wheels when you want things done. People are willing to help you when you need something. If you have status you probably have something to offer. You can do people favours which gets you goodwill and improves your standing. If you have status people let you use their holiday homes. They invite you to ride with them on their private jet. They introduce you to other people with status who can help you.

You don't need a corporate job to have status. In fact, a corporate job can make it hard to find the time to build and nurture the relationships you need. In a corporate job you won't be able to react well to opportunities that come at you. In a corporate job your function (and what people think you can bring to the table) is narrower. You have to be somewhat independent and more fluid to seize opportunities and make things happen. If you have goodwill and status people will invite you to participate in deals make you money.

Then spend your money wisely in ways that boost your standing. There are plenty of guys out there who have a lot of money but zero status. That's because they don't spend their money ways that would boost their standing.

Here's a lesson from Adnan Khashoggi, at one point the world's richest man and a true international playboy:

One lesson that Khashoggi really remembered was when his father dropped a coin on the thick carpet with a soft plop. Father picked up the coin and now dropped it on a marble floor: "you can spend your money quietly or with a bang".

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

I want a degree of respect from those who I actually care about. That's not out of vanity, just intrinsic desire for a man to live up to his potential; I feel that a degree of authority is my potential, that I can be a leader, and that I should be a leader amongst men.

As for what society at large thinks of me, both in terms of social status and in general, I do not give a single flying fuck.