rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

by 2020 more than 80% overweight/obese (2011 census data)

http://www.nationaljournal.com/healthcar...--20111117

I just heard this news collected from the recent census data that was taken in 2011.
"2020, more than 80 percent of U.S. men and more than 70 percent of women will be overweight or obese."

This astounds me, I'm only 25 and I'm starting to think it might be a good idea to start jumping ship, for good.

I don't believe it.....Jesus christ. I hope it's not true.

I have cautious optimism.

Studies are showing that childhood obesity is declining, and the government has just begun to take a more serious stance on nutrition in schools and restaurants. This bodes well for future generations, and should prevent them from getting much fatter than our current one. I honestly think things can't get much worse.

Furthermore, one must also take aging into account. The USA, like all developing countries, has an aging population. Age slows metabolism, and results in a greater likelihood of weight gain and obesity. This will skew things a bit. The baby boomers outnumber their children and grandchildren as an individual generation by a significant margin, and weight gain is more common in that age-range.
I am cautiously optimistic that the next generations (people right around my age[20] and younger) will show a slight improvement, due partly to not having to deal with the same aged-demographic imbalance and partly to having better education on the topic and more federal input to limit obesity across the country.

That, and there are societal pressures. Obesity is never going to be a completely stigma free condition, no matter how hard some try to promote tolerance of it. This natural and immutable inclination towards healthier bodies with lower levels of body fat will prevent those without them from becoming much larger of a proportion of the populace than they are now.

Bottomline: There is still hope. The sky isn't going to fall.

Know your enemy and know yourself, find naught in fear for 100 battles. Know yourself but not your enemy, find level of loss and victory. Know thy enemy but not yourself, wallow in defeat every time.

The Board of Health here in NY determined that HALF of New Yorkers were overweight, and half of those were obese. However, they base this on the Body Mass Index, which is an imperfect measure of what is considered overweight. It determines what a person should weight based on height, but doesn't really account for different body types. If a person weighs 5 pounds more than what the scale says they should weigh, that person is considered overweight while they may be in perfect health, and simply have more muscle mass. Or they a person my have a stocky build, yet not have a high body fat count. Granted, we know what obese or overweight looks like by the EYE test.

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

Quote: (11-17-2011 07:23 PM)Timoteo Wrote:  

The Board of Health here in NY determined that HALF of New Yorkers were overweight, and half of those were obese. However, they base this on the Body Mass Index, which is an imperfect measure of what is considered overweight. It determines what a person should weight based on height, but doesn't really account for different body types. If a person weighs 5 pounds more than what the scale says they should weigh, that person is considered overweight while they may be in perfect health, and simply have more muscle mass. Or they a person my have a stocky build, yet not have a high body fat count. Granted, we know what obese or overweight looks like by the EYE test.

BMI isn't perfect but it works fine for looking at overweight and obesity on a population level. Even in a clinical setting it works well enough since it's really only misleading when you're dealing with people who have a lot of muscle and low body fat percentage, which is a pretty small proportion of the population.

Im buying stock in Lane Bryant

Chef In Jeans
A culinary website for men

It's all based on the growing dependence in our society on easily manufactured sugar-based food. About 60-70% of people react to it by getting horribly fat because their fat cells are less insulin resistant than their muscles, but even thin people eating that crap are going to end up with type 2 diabetes once all that fructose turns their liver into foie gras.

Quote: (11-17-2011 07:53 PM)Chad Daring Wrote:  

Im buying stock in Lane Bryant

And sell your stocks in Victoria Secret. Lol.

We'll see a huge immigration of British dudes to the U.S. cause they just love big ole fat girls.

Europe Here I come! =D

I think this is mostly in middle-america, redneck suburbia land.

Here in san francisco there's not too many fatties. Occasionally see a whale but it seems it's overall tame. As soon as you hit the surrounding suburbs it's like everyone balloons up.

Quote: (11-17-2011 07:23 PM)Athlone McGinnis Wrote:  

I have cautious optimism.

Studies are showing that childhood obesity is declining, and the government has just begun to take a more serious stance on nutrition in schools and restaurants. This bodes well for future generations, and should prevent them from getting much fatter than our current one. I honestly think things can't get much worse.

The same government which just refused to limit how many french fries kids can have in their publicly paid for school lunch program? http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/campaign-...le_in.html Fat fucking chance.

The optimistic part is that there will still be more fat men then women, so we are going to do alright. The 3 in 10 women who aren't fat assess will get to chose from the 2 in 10 men that aren't.

Capitalism is designed to get you to consume as much as possible! How ironic that Americans spend more than they make but eat more than they can burn.

Kids are trained from a very early age to sit in a chair all day. Then they are fed repulsive food and yelled at for not eating it. Of course they are going to eat junk food and not exercise.

No government policy change is going to alter this course any time soon... because no one seems to understand the fundamental problem. Instead they say, lets tells people to eat vegetables, bread, and milk (the last two are crap) and then try to get them to run on a treadmill for an hour. Who the fuck believes that is going to make them thin and healthy? It won't.

I thought that developing countries such as China would be smart enough to crack down on obesity. They didn't. They are just as clueless as the US.

Your future: fat slobs, here in the US and abroad.

But thats ok, its going to be like being the one wealthy guy in a city of none. Stay and shape and have game and you'll destroy it.

Quote: (11-18-2011 01:22 AM)babelfish669 Wrote:  

But thats ok, its going to be like being the one wealthy guy in a city of none. Stay and shape and have game and you'll destroy it.

I dunno, seems like the obesity problem makes more women unfuckable than it does dudes.

Men are more likely to be overweight then women, but it destroys women's overall SMP more than men. There's a theory that in a few hundred years humans may evolve to not put on the excess weight from overeating. I can't find the link, I think it's already on the forum or its on http://www.bakadesuyo.com somewhere.

As some of you have touched on, we get kids off to such a horrible start, that it's inevitable that they'll end up overweight/obese adults. Another factor...when governments make cuts, they usually attack things that affect kids - namely education. One of the things schools cut first are things related to phys-ed/exercise, because it's seen as non-essential. When I was a kid, we had to pass a little phys-ed test (push-ups, pull-ups, etc.), and we had gym class and sometimes after-school sessions where we could play ball and just run around. All those things got cut, at least from public school. I don't even know if kids have recess anymore. Also, we used to go outside to play when we were bored, but now kids stay in their rooms and play video games and watch tv. Parents don't MAKE their kids do that anymore. Unless your kid is a jock, kids don't really do that as much now. I know of few parents that limit kids tv/video gaming time.

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

This is good news for me because I work in the health and fitness industry, I will have plenty of clients.

Maybe I should also buy stock in the health insurance companies because they will be very busy also.

Quote: (11-17-2011 07:23 PM)Athlone McGinnis Wrote:  

Studies are showing that childhood obesity is declining, and the government has just begun to take a more serious stance on nutrition in schools

I work in schools, the food is garbage and the government doesn't give a fuck. Kids are getting fatter every year.

Being fat is cheap. Its cheaper for the Government to be oblivious and kick the can down the road. Letting cheap crappy food become American Staples they are shooting them selves in both foots. The Government won't be able to cover these future disables peoples medical bills, and say good buy to any positive productivity levels also with a nation full of fattys.

Yea the BMI is flawed but the new measurements they would bring in would be even worse.

This report makes sense when you consider the difference between overweight and obese. We see obese people more and more often in the US. The number of landwhales from both genders skews people's perceptions about fat. By definition, a BMI of 25.0 to 29.9, makes one overweight. This overweight category is the "fat" demographic that will get us to 80%. People who are considered overweight by BMI standards aren't really considered fat by society's standards since, as a nation, we've all become fatter.

I could see us hitting the 80 percent number with, say, 35% of Americans as obese and 55% of Americans overweight. It's fucking gross and a testament to our decaying culture.

Quote: (11-18-2011 03:11 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

I work in schools, the food is garbage and the government doesn't give a fuck. Kids are getting fatter every year.

It's not the government's job to give a fuck, but the parent's to teach their kids proper eating habits. Parents want to take cake outta the school system. Why punish the children that only eat it occasionally and have the personal discipline not to do so, so the fat shit-for-brain kids won't get fatter? Why not expel the fat kids until they lose weight? Maybe the non fat kids are tired of having to look at them, or listen to all the excess diet advice every day. The skinny kids get punished for making good choices.

The problem is lack of personal responsibility at a fundamental level. Dumb shits get fat and then cry to the gov't about it. They point fingers and sue fast food restaurants. The school system get blamed for serving pizza slices, but the fat slob parents don't wanna mention the cases of ho ho's they pick up at Walmart daily and shove in their kid's faces. And the fat ass parents are too fucking lazy to get off their lard asses and actually go into the kitchen and prepare non-processed food for their family.

I think if you get fat from poor dietary choices, you should be banned from health insurance, medicade, medicare, and public eating establishments. Especially buffets. Nothing worse than watching a fucking pig making themselves sick at the local Chinese sloop trough.

I have ZERO fucking sympathy for fat mother fuckers. The only good thing is statistically they die off sooner. In the meantime I'll keep throwing rocks at them to pass the time. Not that it's much of a sport, being how big of targets they are.

Ali I really couldn't agree with you more on this subject. Why punish other people who make good eating choices for the sake of the fat fucks who can't get their diet squared away?

Now I know the underlying problem for obesity has many roots. Namely shit for brains parents who feed these poor kids shit day in day out, who then develop a habit of eating you guessed it...shit. So they know nothing else.

Nonetheless when you're an adult and unless you've got some kind of rare disorder, what the fuck is your excuse honestly? There's absolutely nothing good about it, and it's a problem that can easily be fixed, I mean why are people getting told off for being 'politically incorrect' for calling someone fat, or told off for fat shaming wtf. I don't like plain mean bullying of someone, but fuck...don't try and defend being a fatty.

Why would you not want to be in shape?

- You feel good
- You look good
- Women like it
- Improves your longevity and overall life quality

It's a matter of having a good diet and exercising (properly) regularly.

I mean what the fuck is so hard to understand, I am really confused by it all the time when someone tells me they don't have time to lose weight or some other bullshit excuse. Just plain laziness.

And the diet industry makes BILLIONS off of this laziness. They sell weight-loss without sacrifice. You can still eat burgers, pizza, ice cream, blah, blah, blah, but don't mention ANYTHING about even moderate exercise. For fatties, it's perfect. I got fat by not sacrificing anything and by sitting on my ass, and this diet plan can help me lose weight by doing exactly the same thing - NOTHING! Common sense would tell you that you can't lose any substantial weight over any period of time without a little exercise, but the task is so daunting that they'll do anything to avoid it. That's why I have some respect for the pigs that go on "The Biggest Loser." They're desperate, and they know they can't do what needs to be done without humiliation, abuse, and someone to push them. And you see the results.