rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Most Overrated/Underrated Place You've Been

This is something I've been thinking about lately. Every place I go seem so to either exceed expectations, or not live up to them. Some places very much so.

So where's the most underrated or overrated places you guys have been? I'll start:

Overrated: Bali. Without a doubt. Unless you love to surf, this place really offers nothing that Thailand doesn't do better. The locals are fucking dickheads. Food is terrible. Kuta is overrun with a bunch of drunk 18-year-old Aussie kids. The nightlife feels like a bad Spring Break that never ends. Yeah, it's easy to get laid there (I banged 3 girls in 8 nights). But it almost didn't even feel worth it, putting up with all of the hassles and getting ripped off left and right.

Underrated: Hamburg, Germany. There were a few things I could have put here, but I went with Hamburg because it's never really mentioned on this forum despite having some of the better nightlife I've seen in Europe. Like Berlin, Hamburg has dozens of bars and clubs that keep going until dawn most nights of the week. But unlike Berlin, they're all conveniently located right next to each other on the Reeperbahn. It's Germany, so it's not the hottest girls in the world, but you know you're in for a great time and some great beer. Got my German flag here, as well as a few crazy stories to tell.

Strange you hated Bali so much. I like it but didn't venture near Kuta which does sound horrible. Found the people incredibly friendly, honest, open and no one tried to rip me off. Great choice of food too.

OVERATED: Buenos Aires. From the second I arrived I just hated it, didn't like the vibe or the feel of the place at all. Stayed there for 2 weeks and hated it more and more every, single, day.

Good thread.

Overrated: Not sure if it counts, but I would have to say Southern California. Sure there fly girls, but the expense, bad ratios, travel times, poor set ups, draconian no smoking laws, drinking and driving, glittery shirts, skinny jeans, horrible style, and early last calls make it overrated. By far the easiest place to take an "L" on a night.

Possibly the only place on earth that gets a 10 out of 10 in the annoying category.

In addition, it is also "rated" so highly, that it has "overrated" written all over it.

And keep in mind, this is coming from a guy who has been most likely the defacto #1 Playboy in the spot for years. So there is no "sour grapes" here.

It has been my Base for a long time, so I am probably jaded. It doesn't stimulate me anymore. Switching my base to Miami Beach soon.

California Game VS Florida Game for International Playboys

Underrated: Montreal. Short trip but the place had me foaming at the mouth for more. And it came with plenty of "hype" as well. I am not sure of many things in life, but I am sure I am going to spend a month or two there once it warms up.

Quote: (10-19-2011 01:13 PM)Entropy4 Wrote:  

This is something I've been thinking about lately. Every place I go seem so to either exceed expectations, or not live up to them. Some places very much so.

So where's the most underrated or overrated places you guys have been? I'll start:

Overrated: Bali. Without a doubt. Unless you love to surf, this place really offers nothing that Thailand doesn't do better. The locals are fucking dickheads. Food is terrible. Kuta is overrun with a bunch of drunk 18-year-old Aussie kids. The nightlife feels like a bad Spring Break that never ends. Yeah, it's easy to get laid there (I banged 3 girls in 8 nights). But it almost didn't even feel worth it, putting up with all of the hassles and getting ripped off left and right.

Underrated: Hamburg, Germany. There were a few things I could have put here, but I went with Hamburg because it's never really mentioned on this forum despite having some of the better nightlife I've seen in Europe. Like Berlin, Hamburg has dozens of bars and clubs that keep going until dawn most nights of the week. But unlike Berlin, they're all conveniently located right next to each other on the Reeperbahn. It's Germany, so it's not the hottest girls in the world, but you know you're in for a great time and some great beer. Got my German flag here, as well as a few crazy stories to tell.

I'm looking for guestwriters/ posters on my blog/ Let me know if you want to share a story.

Book - Around the World in 80 Girls - The Epic 3 Year Trip of a Backpacking Casanova

My new book Famles - Fables and Fairytales for Men is out now on Amazon.

G: Great call on LA. So much hype. Absolutely no substance. Agree 100%.

Neil: May take you up on that. Will email you.

G, if you're in the know there's ways around that. You can hit an after hours spot where you can smoke and drink all night. Of course the places change all the time but they're out there and I've been to some good ones.

Quote: (10-19-2011 04:30 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

G, if you're in the know there's ways around that. You can hit an after hours spot where you can smoke and drink all night. Of course the places change all the time but they're out there and I've been to some good ones.

Of course speakeasy. I have had tons of great nights in Mansion Parties as a young cub.

But the fact that there needs to be "ways around that" proves my point.

Smoking and drinking all night should be a given, a base to work off of.

If you have figured out a way around 30 minute travel times between bars, I am all ears.

Or the girls in Ugg Boots and flip-flops non-stop.

I am not saying LA or Southern California sucks. All in all they are pretty good, or I wouldn't have spent most my life there.

For me, though, I get a lot more success with way less effort in other places.

Hence, the "overrated" call from me.

Overrated: Costa Rich - BUT for meeting women. To chill, get great weather see wildlife, hike, kayak, do all sorts of cool shit, it's fucking awesome. Guys who talk about the women...meh, they must have different standards.

Underrated: You nailed it with Hamburg. I met some Germans, took the autoban to some sick ass club...was the best club I've ever seen. It had three separate rooms, with different music (house, hip hop, some german other) in each room. Killer chicks, too.

We'll have to agree to disagree gents...I had some of the best times of my life with some of the hottest women I've ever met in LA. Plus, I love the Lakers and all the great Mexican restaurants. Vegas is only 3 hrs away - which seals it for me. Maybe I'm just a West Coast kinda guy.

Overrated: Paris - too big, too busy, too corporate, too commercial, too passé - not what it use to be

Underrated: Berlin - still cool, still edgy, still artsy, cheaper than you think, easy girls, awesome nightlife

I'm surprised you didn't like the food in Bali?

I ate the most delicious satay that I still remember at a street stall there. I don't know about the nightlife(I was a young cub when I visited Bali) but Bali seems like a perfect place to rewind. Then again, I spent most of my time in central and north Bali. Beautiful country.

Lucky: Good call on Paris and Berlin. Totally agree on both. Berlin's one of my favorite cities in the world.

Toronto: If I was 18-22 I think Bali nightlife would be awesome. But it's definitely a scene you outgrow. And yes, the island is beautiful, but honestly it's no more beautiful than other places in Southeast Asia.

Quote: (10-19-2011 05:26 PM)Entropy4 Wrote:  

Lucky: Good call on Paris and Berlin. Totally agree on both. Berlin's one of my favorite cities in the world.

Toronto: If I was 18-22 I think Bali nightlife would be awesome. But it's definitely a scene you outgrow. And yes, the island is beautiful, but honestly it's no more beautiful than other places in Southeast Asia.

In Bali you should pick up the locals not the drunken oversized ozzie girl all wearing the same Bintang Bali shirt.

Book - Around the World in 80 Girls - The Epic 3 Year Trip of a Backpacking Casanova

My new book Famles - Fables and Fairytales for Men is out now on Amazon.

Overrated: Barcelona. Tons of tourists, cheesy, snobby locals (albeit attractive). The vibe in Madrid was much better.

Sacramento CA/Minneapolis MN/Burlington VT ( All with the proviso you're under 35 or under 40 and willing to lie. There are 8's in all these places, they're just too much work to get when you're over 50 like me.)

I like the lower bitch shields and lack of street paranoia/"always busy" attitude of many big cities. I also like outdoors girls
rather than lounge lizards with high heels and an attitude. Upper middle class+ girls typically go for more outdoor activities than hanging around in bars.

Sac: The weather here is overall great. Lots of easy going girls, quite a few 8's. Davis with a huge elite college is 20 min away if you want really smart upper middle class girls.

People freak because it's ~100 maybe 10 days a year, but what that also means is that it is beautiful, calm, sunny and between 70-90 maybe 230 ( guess) days a year. I was just out tonight with no jacket, it's Oct 19th. It's dry, just a few rainy months in the middle. Bitch shields are low. people don't think they're hot shit just because they live here like SF or LA. ( I lived in SF, beautiful city but harder competition, much worse weather even though only 80 miles away, higher bitch/snob shields, rapacious rental market) .
It's only a couple hours drive from Lake Tahoe, which is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen, and I've been to Norway, Switzerland, Vermont, Oregon, Spain, and The Catskills. You can go there during the week even in the summer and cheap motels are like $50. Mark Twain said Lake Tahoe was the most beautiful thing on Earth. Great hiking and epic bike riding in the summer, skiing in the winter.

Minneapolis: Covered here, but I found the Scandinavian chicks gorgeous and not too bitchy. Very intelligent city, great symphony, ballet, and coffee shops. Flat though, so geographically boring. Police-state towing activity in the winter when it snows, YOU have to monitor the conditions because in a few hours they can declare an emergency and they sweep in and tow all the cars on the block. Only a short, timid summer. IN the summer very cool lakes you can swim in within a mile of the city. Everyone rides their bikes around the lakes and if you are high-value enough it would be layup city.

Burglington: A couple hundred yards away from this small city's downtown is Lake Champlain, which i delightfully warm in the summer with a nice sandy beach. Smart city, few yahoos, giant university. Expensive to fly to. I spent a summer, here, and there's something peaceful and radiant about summer in New England, I can't put my finger on it but it is just glowing. Good health food stores with girls who love fucking shopping in them.

Quote: (10-19-2011 09:24 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

Overrated: Barcelona. Tons of tourists, cheesy, snobby locals (albeit attractive). The vibe in Madrid was much better.

Jeez.

The Barcelona hate train comes from all angles on this site. (Barcelona's Oficina del Turismo should def be paying me a 7 figs retainer for all the defending I do of that place).

I have asked this question in many different permutations many different times on this forum without ever getting any takers:

"Is there another world class, big city with a more beautiful beach? Warmer water? Sure there are, but the list is pretty light. (And do those cities have the art, Topless Girls, architecture, food, nightlife, safety etc of Barcelona? The list is even lighter. If anyone has an answer to that one, I have said before, that I am all ears.)"

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-6405-p...l#pid91591

Quote: (10-19-2011 10:07 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

safety etc of Barcelona?

The pickpocketing plague when I was there a few years ago was out of proportion. Speaking from personal experience, from what I've witnessed, and from numerous stories from fellow travelers (not from the internet).

This is not so to debate the virtues and shortcomings of Barcelona.

I feel obligated to warn anyone who plans to go there to be double, triple and quadruple careful about his personal belongings.

Overrated - San Francisco and Rome (although some of the touristy things like the Vatican and Colusseum that are pretty f'in cool, and Cabo San Lucas

Underrated - Charleston, SC - this place blew my mind and I've been to alot of European cities. Best per capita talent I've seen anywhere in the world. Its not a huge city but downtown Charleston is just stocked w/pretty, in shape, sweet southern girls.

Quote: (10-19-2011 11:36 PM)Brian Wrote:  

Overrated - San Francisco and Rome (although some of the touristy things like the Vatican and Colusseum that are pretty f'in cool, and Cabo San Lucas

Underrated - Charleston, SC - this place blew my mind and I've been to alot of European cities. Best per capita talent I've seen anywhere in the world. Its not a huge city but downtown Charleston is just stocked w/pretty, in shape, sweet southern girls.
I agree with you about Charleston, it's a hidden gem really. And I love me some cute, gorgeous, sexy and genuinely nice southern girls.

Overrated:
-Barcelona; like some have said, it's mostly tourists. It has great nightlife and offers a lot, but you can find the same thing in other cities + more hot girls, less tourists.
-Los Angeles but I haven't experienced it enough to say it with confidence. But the fake blondes aren't my type at all.
-Rio de Janeiro for me is way overrated. Maybe because I like the thinner model gorgeous type like you see in Argentina and Milan, compared to the thicker bustier girls you see in Rio. Beautiful city that everyone has to experience at least once, but it is way overrated in my opinion.

Underrated:
-Milan
-Toronto
-Charleston
-Miami (some actually say it isn't too good in terms of hotties... WHAT?!?!)
-Paris
-Beirut

Great topic, i have to go with two brazillian cities

Over-rated - Rio de Janeiro - I think Rio is just too over rated, you dont really see that amount of bad bitches everywhere as some other places i have been. The media makes Rio look like a paradise plus girls are not as easy as other places.

Under-rated - Salvador - I think Salvador is too under-rated, i dont know if it is the fact of people there being darker skinned but you see bad lighter skin bitches there too, you get all there. Salvador is a paradise if you into darker skin chicks with phat booties, it is also one of the few cities in the world where you get to party hard from monday to sunday. It has its downsides but its worth a visit if you havent checked it out.

Quote: (10-19-2011 10:48 PM)gig Wrote:  

safety etc of Barcelona?

The pickpocketing plague when I was there a few years ago was out of proportion. Speaking from personal experience, from what I've witnessed, and from numerous stories from fellow travelers (not from the internet).

99.9% of the stories I have heard are on or around Las Ramblas.

Have you heard the same?

If so, don't go to Las Ramblas (as I have said multiple times, although no one seems to listen).

Regardless, I "pickpocketing" doesn't factor into my "safety" rating.

I am talking more about getting jumped by skinheads, punch ups with organized crime figures, and robbed and pistol whipped at gun point.

Barcelona doesn't seem to have that.

Quote: (10-20-2011 12:05 AM)1bliss Wrote:  

Overrated:
-Barcelona; like some have said, it's mostly tourists. It has great nightlife and offers a lot, but you can find the same thing in other cities + more hot girls, less tourists.
-Los Angeles but I haven't experienced it enough to say it with confidence. But the fake blondes aren't my type at all.

On another thread, you said you had never been to Barcelona.

And you had never been to Los Angeles.

Has this changed? Or are you just yapping?

Your comments make it seem like you have never been.

"But the fake blondes aren't my type at all. "

LA is a little more than just "fake blonds". Seems like a comment from someone who has only seen LA on TV.

"it's mostly tourists"

On Las Ramblas yes. Other parts of the city, no.

"but you can find the same thing in other cities + more hot girls, less tourists. "

If you are going to make a claim like that, back it up holmes.

Bust out a list of cities.

Again, I will refer to my question that has no takers:

"Is there another world class, big city with a more beautiful beach? Warmer water? Sure there are, but the list is pretty light. (And do those cities have the art, Topless Girls, architecture, food, nightlife, safety etc of Barcelona? The list is even lighter. If anyone has an answer to that one, I have said before, that I am all ears.)"

Quote: (10-19-2011 06:01 PM)Neil Skywalker Wrote:  

Quote: (10-19-2011 05:26 PM)Entropy4 Wrote:  

In Bali you should pick up the locals not the drunken oversized ozzie girl all wearing the same Bintang Bali shirt.

I did... it wasn't really any more pleasant.

I'm also a Madrid > Barcelona person as well... Although I have to admit I haven't spent enough time in either city.

Quote: (10-20-2011 12:38 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Quote: (10-19-2011 10:48 PM)gig Wrote:  

safety etc of Barcelona?

99.9% of the stories I have heard are on or around Las Ramblas.

Have you heard the same?

If so, don't go to Las Ramblas (as I have said multiple times, although no one seems to listen).

Regardless, I "pickpocketing" doesn't factor into my "safety" rating.

I am talking more about getting jumped by skinheads, punch ups with organized crime figures, and robbed and pistol whipped at gun point.

Barcelona doesn't seem to have that.

Quote: (10-20-2011 12:05 AM)1bliss Wrote:  

Overrated:

On another thread, you said you had never been to Barcelona.

And you had never been to Los Angeles.

Has this changed? Or are you just yapping?

Your comments make it seem like you have never been.

"But the fake blondes aren't my type at all. "

LA is a little more than just "fake blonds". Seems like a comment from someone who has only seen LA on TV.

"it's mostly tourists"

On Las Ramblas yes. Other parts of the city, no.

"but you can find the same thing in other cities + more hot girls, less tourists. "

If you are going to make a claim like that, back it up holmes.

Bust out a list of cities.

Again, I will refer to my question that has no takers:

Just got back from Barcelona 2 nights ago actually G, and I stand by my claims 100%. I went for 2 days only because I was on my way to visit a friend in Paris, but it was a very fun 2 days nonetheless. It's a beautiful city, everything about it is beautiful. Even the girls, but there aren't as many as the hype claims, and IN MY OPINION you can definitely find better quality and more quantity in other cities. Not saying Barcelona is terrible, I'm just saying it is overrated.

As for the list; Montreal, Miami, Paris, NYC (maybe they're even). I would even put Milan ahead of Barcelona in terms of quality and quantity, but I haven't been there long ENOUGH to claim that, only went for 2 days as well.

It seems as though Barcelona is your #1 city by how much you defend it... How long did you go for? Or how often do you go back?

Barcelona strikes me as the kind of city that the more time you spend there and the more time you get connected, the better it becomes (very much like Buenos Aires in that sense). I went there for three days, and my impression was that it's not the kind of place you can get your money's worth in that short amount of time.

Overrated: San Diego,Tallinn, LA.

Underrated: Newcastle, Belfast, Tampa, Charleston, San Salvador.

This is a hard question. I can always find something fun wherever I go, and try not get hyped too much before traveling. "Expect the worst, hope for the best."

This way you don't feel money was wasted on the trip. I also avoid mega tourist destinations, as I feel most all of them are overrated.

Overrated:
LA - Felt it had no soul whatsoever, hot girls in the clubs but got the feeling they were being paid to be there (probably were).
Rome - Was like a big, dirty history museum crawling with American famillies, didnt really feel like a city at all. No good party either.
Prague - Was ok but just didnt live up to the massive hype it gets.

Underrated:
Hamburg - Completely agree with the others, I had a blast here.
Lisbon - Great weather, awesome seafood, stunning architecture, great parties, really friendly locals, not the prettiest girls overall but there are some fine ones around if you look.
Istanbul - Amazing city that has everything. History, stunning setting, great food, crazy nightlife, loads of pretty girls (not the easiest but if you spent a few months here you could do some damage) really friendly locals. Sitting on one of the countless rooftop bars gazing out over the bosporus with a shisha and a Turkish tea is bliss!