rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What's The Best Way To Protect Your Identity & Activity Online

What is the best way to protect your identity and browsing activity online (I don't want to go crazy with it - just want basic protection with easy to use services if there are any)?

It's really in relation to:
- Browsing
- Social media and Youtube

For browsing, I've read to get rid of Google chrome browser, and get Firefox or Tor Browser.

For social media and YouTube - what is the best burner email service? I tried using yandex (like I use here on RV Forums), but Facebook, Instagram, Youtube etc. doesn't accept it. I'm currently using an alternate email - but it's still linked under my main Gmail account.

Is there anything else I'm missing?

Quote: (03-17-2019 10:34 PM)GT777733 Wrote:  

What is the best way to protect your identity and browsing activity online (I don't want to go crazy with it - just want basic protection with easy to use services if there are any)?

It's really in relation to:
- Browsing
- Social media and Youtube

For browsing, I've read to get rid of Google chrome browser, and get Firefox or Tor Browser.

For social media and YouTube - what is the best burner email service? I tried using yandex (like I use here on RV Forums), but Facebook, Instagram, Youtube etc. doesn't accept it. I'm currently using an alternate email - but it's still linked under my main Gmail account.

Is there anything else I'm missing?

Some VPN service for almost all internet use. ProtonVPN for example.

A good email, that is somewhat anonymous: Protonmail, etc.

TOR browser.

Also, tails.

Avoid social media if possible.

If you really cared you could do all your shit on a burner phone, etc that you paid for in cash. Or, on public wifi.

Tor, VPN, Protonmail (and others), Telegram, Burner phones.

Dupe thread-53965...al+privacy

This one mentions burner phones briefly thread-71436...al+Privacy

With telegram, you need to open an encrypted "secret chat" and make sure conversation contents are deleted with a timer set to less than 3 seconds. If you don't do this, it's no different than using WhatsApp or any other instant messenger.

Also with protonmail, ive been hearing the company is being pressured by governments like Australia to sell out their users. I haven't followed up with what's happened.

Real answer?
Don't be on the internet if privacy is your main / ultimate concern.

Between the FBI infiltrating Tor.
The ability to identify that data traffic is encrypted (like from a VPN) even if they can't see readily the encrypted info.
Back doors into Intel CPU's, back doors into Cisco routers or Microsoft Windows.
Abuse of 'cloud computing'.
Let alone all that nonsense about Farcebook et al., selling personal data to advertisers.
Or people inadvertently giving up private info. via 'Alexa' / 'Google home' or webcams being turned on.

If someone is good enough & determined enough to get your info or to track you down online. They can...

The following video, although slightly old, is still very useful. If you don’t have a computer background it can be a starting point for understanding a couple of things.

Quote: (11-15-2014 09:06 AM)Little Dark Wrote:  
This thread is not going in the direction I was hoping for.

The Tor situation is that the Feds run their own nodes and suck up all the data that goes through unencrypted. It's just one of many sources for their full-spectrum awareness.

Telegram is probably much better than WhatsApp. Telegram has been banned in Russia and other countries as they refused to hand backdoor access to the government. Major governments have direct access to WhatsApp. I've also been told on good authority that absolutely everything from Facebook is available to the national security apparatus.

Good distributed/decentralised chat options are only really starting to spring up with good development. There is Tox and Jami. Tox Android client is a bit shaky.

The best solution is encrypting actually sensitive information on offline machines and passing the ciphertext blocks to your online machine for transmission. For everything else, the winning strategy is "No Fucks Given" and arranging your life so "No Fucks Given" works to your advantage rather than your handicap.

It's really a matter of hygiene. Encrypt the sensitive information outside the communication channel. Otherwise you are putting a lot of trust in the goodwill of a certain type of stranger that in the past hasn't proven very trustworthy. Strong cryptography exists, but counting on popular chat apps to do it imports a lot of very unhygienic assumptions into your process.

The SJW life ruination outrage machine only works when they have a limited number of targets to ruin at a time. They can't effectively pull off their full life ruination push on 50% or even 5% of the population speaking freely all at once. If they try and upon trying discover the group they are "ruining" represents 80-90% of the people that keep the world spinning, they only hurt themselves. The "Russian bots" and other leftist conspiracy theories feed on people inclined to honestly speak their minds without attaching a name. This mousy attitude also concedes to the NPC enemy that their weird ideas are driving actual conversations.

Such a timely thread.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5c8ab...f6b0f1094b

This was front page on the Huffington Post site. 7 military members doxxed for being part of a "white nationalist group". HuffPo monitored the forum, then literally combed through the forum posts to find who was in the military, then trace it back to the actual individuals. I have no idea if they even belong to a hate group or not, there it is, how certain sites are being monitored and using any information you post to doxxx you. Is RooshVForum a target? Most likely, even though we actually have a fairly diverse racial and political spectrum here.

You can't.

Well you can, but I have a VPN and feel like I bought a blessing from a new ager as opposed to a piece of software, I don't know what good its doing to be honest....perhaps.

Its like insurance.

ProtonVPN for anyone that is curious.