rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Having a kid/not financially ready

So I was living in South America (Peru) with my girlfriend (who I intend to marry eventually). We are both not financially stable and her birth control failed her. She is scared to leave her country but open to come to the US, although she would prefer not to.

Should I try to convince her to come over to the US and have the child there and try and make it work? I know it's much cheaper in South America but I don't see myself having much opportunity there. She has a great job and I don't want to end up teaching ESL/working in colegios. I don't have any jobs set up in the USA and no real marketable skills.. so to say.. as I have spent most of my 20's abroad.

I'm thinking about doing an alternative teaching certificate/school counselor masters and possibly going back to her country to teach a subject I like or be a school counselor, but I know I need to make moves quickly. I also have a lot of experience in the restaurant industry so I believe I could become a manager.

It seems like a bad idea, but we are going to go through with it. By not financially stable, we don't have any real savings. Any advice?

I'm with a Peruana too who I'm open to having a family with. If it works out, my plan is to keep her here and just continue my work in the states. I only work part of the year and would just keep bouncing between Peru and the US. It's not an ideal situation, but tons of Latinos already do this anyway and I refuse to raise kids in the USA. Especially daughters. If I have kids I'd like them to have the option of taking advantage of opportunities in my country if they so choose when they are adults. But to raise children in the USA; hell with that. But my advice to you is keep her in Peru. She needs her friends, family, her music, and food. She needs a support network of family for your infant kid. If she comes to the USA with a baby and no real network (or an unfamiliar one) if you have family can be pretty fricken scary for girls with a newborn. That can put a lot of unwanted stress on you, your wife and of course your kid.

If you can work something out in Peru one day for work and just stay here that'd be good. But it I were you I'd work in the usa, send money, save and set up a portion of the year where you can spend time with your kid. She'll need you during her pregnancy too as someone to lean on when her emotions and hormones are fucking with her. So do what you gotta do to be there. And yes, if you can save and send a good amount of dead presidents down to Peru where you can convert to soles you can offer a much higher quality of life than you can if you had them in the states. And for me the whole distance thing don't bother me. Maybe it might if I have kids one day, but it's sure nice to get away from your girl for awhile and miss each other. Call me a romantic.

You don't have any marketable skills, but shits about to get seriously real and you're gonna need some. You might not like it, but you're gonna have to bite the bullet. Quickest way to make an honest buck is looking for work in agriculture or construction. That works good for the soul anyway.

If you ever wanna reach out or you're in Peru sometime when I'm there; send me a pm.

Dreams are like horses; they run wild on the earth. Catch one and ride it. Throw a leg over and ride it for all its worth.
Psalm 25:7
https://youtu.be/vHVoMCH10Wk

Dont worry, its a myth that kids take a lot of money to raise. The ol' "wait till youre financially stable" trope is just a way to stop whitey reproducing. Dont fall for it.

Have child.
Work as usual and take any advancement/hustle opportunities that arise.

It's that easy.

nothinG really serious...its what anyone serious can handle...just have to find keep it this way for now till yopu are able to settle down properly with a job...then you can talk of bringing her over to US....

It is too late for her to come to the states and have the kid unless she was blessed with a tourist visa, which not many Peruvians get.

The K1 or CR1 visa will take at least 9-11 months. Then she will have to apply for SSN before she can get medical insurance, you'll also need to make 125% of poverty rate in order to sponsor her.

So count on her having the baby in peru and figuring out in the meantime if you want to have something more with her. If you want to bring her and your kid to the states, you'll need to make at least 21k a year for the K1 visa and you should get the process started soon because if you change your mind you can always back out of it, up until you hand in the I-134 form on the day she goes for the appointment.

Some guys don't mind living in a third world country. If I had a family, I would live in the states, your child will have more opportunity in the states. But that's your choice.

Congrats to both of you on the kid. I hope it changes your life for the best.

Quote: (02-12-2019 10:19 PM)king bast Wrote:  

Dont worry, its a myth that kids take a lot of money to raise. The ol' "wait till youre financially stable" trope is just a way to stop whitey reproducing. Dont fall for it.

Have child.

It's that easy.

The issue is that... he's flat ass broke with no skills! Only way OP should go thorough with this is if he's truly ready to Hustle & Grind to build some tangible assets.

Thanks for the input. It's going to be something I'll have to dig deep and figure out for myself. I've got some time on my side.

Quote: (02-13-2019 12:07 AM)El Mono Wrote:  

Thanks for the input. It's going to be something I'll have to dig deep and figure out for myself. I've got some time on my side.

Why not move to Peru to be with her, and work as a teacher for a few years, while you build a side business? Your side business might eventually grow enough to surpass your teacher's salary, and even that of a job you would get back in the states.

It's better for the kid if the father is always there, not going back and forth between countries for 6 months at a time.

Yes, that's what I figured. No sense in going back and forth. I'm going to basically just save up as much as I can here in the US, and then go back to be with her and work down there while I figure out what's going on. I've got some ideas so I'm not too worried about it. I've got roughly 8 months. Plus it's someone I actually want to be with. Not a tinder/desperation bang.

Quote: (02-13-2019 12:16 AM)El Mono Wrote:  

Plus it's someone I actually want to be with. Not a tinder/desperation bang.

That's good. Best of luck to you.

Quote: (02-13-2019 12:24 AM)CleanSlate Wrote:  

Quote: (02-13-2019 12:16 AM)El Mono Wrote:  

Plus it's someone I actually want to be with. Not a tinder/desperation bang.

That's good. Best of luck to you.

Thank you!

Dont worry, its a myth that kids take a lot of money to raise.

Have child.

It's that easy.

This.

Your child wants you to be there (not working away in the states) and wants you to love and teach them.

This won't be easy, but it will be worth it.

Nothing will make you grow up, get focused and get your shit together like becoming a husband and a father.

Good luck.

My daughter lives in Cuba as does my wife. I have a bit of the opposite situation in that I had a good business in the West but decided to give it up to move abroad. (I'll be abroad as of March) I should note while I call her my wife we are not married.

I'd leave them in their country regardless. They need their friends and families. It's not easy for a woman who is passed college age and doesn't speak the native tongue to move to a new country and make sufficient connections that it will replace what she has back home. Men cope better with distance in my opinion.

I wouldn't worry too much about the finances unless you are really really tight. (I.e. you can only afford to live on like $15 or $20 a day) If you are at that point then yes you'll notice the cost of the kid. If you have a more normal income for a foreigner in the developing world. If you are making net say $1000+ a month you won't notice the cost really. If it does affect you cut out something from your lifestyle where you are bleeding money. How many guys you know go and get a pop and snickers or whatever and spend $3 a day on that or smoke a half pack a day. Drop that and you basically pay for your kid. Other simple solutions are things like renting a slightly cheaper place. In your case you also have to remember the mom works and day care / child care services are probably very economical there so your wifes income probably can cover the cost of the kid with ease.

My daughter probably will all in cost me $1200-$2400 this year. That covers everything from food, clothes, birthday parties etc. Very rough estimate but practical. Its hard for me to give an exact because I support both her and her mother and I don't know exactly what is spent on my daughter but I'd guess its around that.

Where kids get costly is in the West with the notion that you need to send them to private schools, private tutors out of country educational trips etc. The reality is most of that stuff is just waste and provides limited improvement if any on your child and your families life. I'm not trying to generalise but I would rate private school as a hugely shit investment unless by some off chance your kid happens to be the elite of the elite. If your kid is destined to be the next fortune 500 CEO then sure by all means. But for the vast majority they would've in my opinion been a hell of a lot better investing all of the money they spent on private school in an index fund and give it to their kid at 35.

I see that you are considering as well bringing her to US and both of you working there. Heres the thing. While in a pure $ number you will make significantly more how will your lifestyle compare. I asked myself that when I decided to close my business in the West. In my case I figured out how much cheaper Cuba was in terms of cost for things I like verse where I am and figured the number is easily 5-10x cheaper. The amount of after tax money I'd have to make in the West would require stupid amounts of hours compared to what I can get in Cuba. I'd also have to work verse not work or just work for fun money just to be able to provide a similar lifestyle.

You run other risks in bringing her to the West. Including future alimony / child support payments. I suspect these would be significantly higher and more burdensome in the US. Another factor you would also face is she will certainly want to go back home for vacations and people back home unless shes rich she will want to help out. This means mommy gets a new flat screen, hermano gets his first motorcycle, monthly remittances etc. This can quickly get very silly.

Given what you've said about yourself and I'm assuming you have taught ESL to fund your travels perhaps you might want to look into the requirements to become an international school teacher. That may be a worthwhile endeavor and allow you to significantly boost your lifestyle quality in Peru.

One thing that I will say is making a ton of money doesn't bring happiness. I watch friends and family who make absolutely great incomes but their life consists of work, tv, wife, overpriced shoe box, ridiculous car payments etc. They are no happier in my opinion than someone making a fraction of their income but with some freedom. I personally went and got the high paying career and quickly realized the money doesn't make me happy. What does are being with friends, family, meeting new people, enjoying new experiences and travelling. I had a hell of a lot more fun in college then I did making money.

This goes to say while you say you have no marketable skills and are almost suggesting you wasted your 20s I'd bet you were 10x as happy as your buddies pouring their souls into a cubicle so instead of the reasonable 1500 square foot house in a decent neighbourhood they could buy their wife a 4000 square foot house in a more classy neighbourhood and then take on truly stupid endeavours to make their wifes happy like putting in a new $50,000 kitchen because I guess the old one which didn't have marble countertops just isn't up to the Jones standard. My house in Cuba is worth about 1/40th-1/50th the house I live in the West. Guess which house I enjoy myself more in. It certainly isn't the one here in the West.

I think your kid will have far better value growing up in South America than in the US. How far the degradation has come is made clear to me by the fact that the This Is America song which seemed to demonstrate mass shootings managed to win the song of the year at the grammys the other night. I wouldn't have even classified it as music nevermind giving it awards.

O/T, but how does someone with no skills and no job afford to do anything, let alone travel constantly? OP, how do you put food in your own mouth, clothes on your back, and airplane seats under your butt?

Quote: (02-13-2019 03:41 AM)RatInTheWoods Wrote:  

Dont worry, its a myth that kids take a lot of money to raise.

Have child.

It's that easy.

This.

Your child wants you to be there (not working away in the states) and wants you to love and teach them.

This won't be easy, but it will be worth it.

Nothing will make you grow up, get focused and get your shit together like becoming a husband and a father.

Good luck.

Absolutely, I'm working hard on myself and hitting the grind as hard as I can. I'm not one to sit around and say, "fuck my life, I'm not ready for this". I'm a positive person. I know I can get through this and I want to be next to my kid and future wife as much as possible.

I've lived out the dream in Colombia/Peru for many years, so I don't feel like I am missing out on anything. I found an amazing girl. We are very excited I just need advice from people who may have kids, or just want to help out and I really appreciate all the advice. I try to help out whenever I can as well. This is something I'm ready for and looking forward to. I'm going to make the best of everything and stay positive. I'll make this work out.

I have no business ideas but I know I can put together a modest/yet comfortable life for a child. We aren't going to be living in luxury but that's never been my goal. I'm okay living in a small apartment in a super cheap barrio (not saying that we are going to be doing this).

My main goal is getting the kid to the USA and I've read some info in this thread that has helped out a lot. Thank you all again. I need to look more into the K-1 Visa.

BTW, I'm on the younger side at 29 years old. I'll be 30 when the baby is born. I have time to research a lot about investing/opening businesses. My Dad is really smart with money and I come from a very successful family. I know it will work out!

Quote: (02-13-2019 11:36 AM)General Stalin Wrote:  

O/T, but how does someone with no skills and no job afford to do anything, let alone travel constantly? OP, how do you put food in your own mouth, clothes on your back, and airplane seats under your butt?

I never stated that I don't have a job/I've done plenty of online work while living abroad. I was able to live very well, I'm just tired of that line of work. I just don't have any real skills or a job that transfers in THE USA besides culinary/restaurant management skills. Airplane seats are pretty easy to come by. I may have family who have worked in the airline industry. There's always a way. I've done well but as I said did not plan on this happening.

And no this was not a "careless, ONS drunken mistake". We have known each other for many years and traveled all over SA. Her birth control failed (or perhaps there was a day where she skipped) and this is what I'm dealing with. We both feel that an abortion would not be a good idea, and I feel ready to grind it out and get to where I need to. We just found out and have quite some time to get things together. She has a great job in Peru and has decent savings.

I also didn't state that I have no savings, I just am not IMO financially where I need to be. I want to be comfortable. I will most likely go back to what I was doing earning $20/hr online (not much but enough). And then just think about what to do. There's always a way for the positive thinker.

Duplicate

Quote: (02-13-2019 04:20 AM)lavidaloca Wrote:  

My daughter lives in Cuba as does my wife. I have a bit of the opposite situation in that I had a good business in the West but decided to give it up to move abroad. (I'll be abroad as of March) I should note while I call her my wife we are not married.

I'd leave them in their country regardless. They need their friends and families. It's not easy for a woman who is passed college age and doesn't speak the native tongue to move to a new country and make sufficient connections that it will replace what she has back home. Men cope better with distance in my opinion.

I wouldn't worry too much about the finances unless you are really really tight. (I.e. you can only afford to live on like $15 or $20 a day) If you are at that point then yes you'll notice the cost of the kid. If you have a more normal income for a foreigner in the developing world. If you are making net say $1000+ a month you won't notice the cost really. If it does affect you cut out something from your lifestyle where you are bleeding money. How many guys you know go and get a pop and snickers or whatever and spend $3 a day on that or smoke a half pack a day. Drop that and you basically pay for your kid. Other simple solutions are things like renting a slightly cheaper place. In your case you also have to remember the mom works and day care / child care services are probably very economical there so your wifes income probably can cover the cost of the kid with ease.

My daughter probably will all in cost me $1200-$2400 this year. That covers everything from food, clothes, birthday parties etc. Very rough estimate but practical. Its hard for me to give an exact because I support both her and her mother and I don't know exactly what is spent on my daughter but I'd guess its around that.

Where kids get costly is in the West with the notion that you need to send them to private schools, private tutors out of country educational trips etc. The reality is most of that stuff is just waste and provides limited improvement if any on your child and your families life. I'm not trying to generalise but I would rate private school as a hugely shit investment unless by some off chance your kid happens to be the elite of the elite. If your kid is destined to be the next fortune 500 CEO then sure by all means. But for the vast majority they would've in my opinion been a hell of a lot better investing all of the money they spent on private school in an index fund and give it to their kid at 35.

I see that you are considering as well bringing her to US and both of you working there. Heres the thing. While in a pure $ number you will make significantly more how will your lifestyle compare. I asked myself that when I decided to close my business in the West. In my case I figured out how much cheaper Cuba was in terms of cost for things I like verse where I am and figured the number is easily 5-10x cheaper. The amount of after tax money I'd have to make in the West would require stupid amounts of hours compared to what I can get in Cuba. I'd also have to work verse not work or just work for fun money just to be able to provide a similar lifestyle.

You run other risks in bringing her to the West. Including future alimony / child support payments. I suspect these would be significantly higher and more burdensome in the US. Another factor you would also face is she will certainly want to go back home for vacations and people back home unless shes rich she will want to help out. This means mommy gets a new flat screen, hermano gets his first motorcycle, monthly remittances etc. This can quickly get very silly.

Given what you've said about yourself and I'm assuming you have taught ESL to fund your travels perhaps you might want to look into the requirements to become an international school teacher. That may be a worthwhile endeavor and allow you to significantly boost your lifestyle quality in Peru.

One thing that I will say is making a ton of money doesn't bring happiness. I watch friends and family who make absolutely great incomes but their life consists of work, tv, wife, overpriced shoe box, ridiculous car payments etc. They are no happier in my opinion than someone making a fraction of their income but with some freedom. I personally went and got the high paying career and quickly realized the money doesn't make me happy. What does are being with friends, family, meeting new people, enjoying new experiences and travelling. I had a hell of a lot more fun in college then I did making money.

This goes to say while you say you have no marketable skills and are almost suggesting you wasted your 20s I'd bet you were 10x as happy as your buddies pouring their souls into a cubicle so instead of the reasonable 1500 square foot house in a decent neighbourhood they could buy their wife a 4000 square foot house in a more classy neighbourhood and then take on truly stupid endeavours to make their wifes happy like putting in a new $50,000 kitchen because I guess the old one which didn't have marble countertops just isn't up to the Jones standard. My house in Cuba is worth about 1/40th-1/50th the house I live in the West. Guess which house I enjoy myself more in. It certainly isn't the one here in the West.

I think your kid will have far better value growing up in South America than in the US. How far the degradation has come is made clear to me by the fact that the This Is America song which seemed to demonstrate mass shootings managed to win the song of the year at the grammys the other night. I wouldn't have even classified it as music nevermind giving it awards.

Thank you for your well thought out and detailed response. I really appreciate that.

I can definitely pull around 2000 a month, so I guess my finances aren't super tight. I just need to buckle down and upgrade my skills. I actually like working in schools. It's the money making online tutoring that I'm not all too content with. I'm bilingual and have residency so maybe there is something else out there for me, outside of the ESL field. But at the end of the day.. you gotta do what you gotta do. I'll be ready for this.

The original idea was to bring them to the USA and that is still the ultimate plan. However, it looks like we might need to spend a few years down south.

Not to deviate the thread too much but the above caught my attention.

I was lucky enough to study in a very expensive private school in Brazil. It's a different scenario there - 99% of public schools are terrible, and almost anyone who can afford it sends their kids to private education. That can mean anywhere from US$200-1500+ a month. That's a ton of money for Brazilian standards.

Looking back the school provided me with incredible education - fluency in four languages, a student exchange program that allowed me to live abroad for a couple of months, very high level foreign teachers, a diploma that would allow me to study in thousands of universities around the world (I left the school shortly before completing it), and most importantly: the skill of thinking critically.

I honestly wonder if that's not worth the money, if it can be afforded? Especially during the formative period of late childhood/adolescence. I don't think I would be the same person today had I studied somewhere else. I certainly wouldn't have the thirst I do for exploring the world, nor the network I have of friends living across the globe. Food for thought.

In any case, good post @lavidaloca and much luck to OP.

Quote: (02-13-2019 12:32 PM)Ringo Wrote:  

Not to deviate the thread too much but the above caught my attention.

I was lucky enough to study in a very expensive private school in Brazil. It's a different scenario there - 99% of public schools are terrible, and almost anyone who can afford it sends their kids to private education. That can mean anywhere from US$200-1500+ a month. That's a ton of money for Brazilian standards.

Looking back the school provided me with incredible education - fluency in four languages, a student exchange program that allowed me to live abroad for a couple of months, very high level foreign teachers, a diploma that would allow me to study in thousands of universities around the world (I left the school shortly before completing it), and most importantly: the skill of thinking critically.

I honestly wonder if that's not worth the money, if it can be afforded? Especially during the formative period of late childhood/adolescence. I don't think I would be the same person today had I studied somewhere else. I certainly wouldn't have the thirst I do for exploring the world, nor the network I have of friends living across the globe. Food for thought.

In any case, good post @lavidaloca and much luck to OP.

Thanks, I appreciate that. Very good points made! I would love for my child to be fluent in multiple languages and have the same thirst to travel the world. I need to start this right from the beginning.

Duplicate..... again...

Quote: (02-12-2019 10:28 PM)LINUX Wrote:  

It is too late for her to come to the states and have the kid unless she was blessed with a tourist visa, which not many Peruvians get.

The K1 or CR1 visa will take at least 9-11 months. Then she will have to apply for SSN before she can get medical insurance, you'll also need to make 125% of poverty rate in order to sponsor her.

So count on her having the baby in peru and figuring out in the meantime if you want to have something more with her. If you want to bring her and your kid to the states, you'll need to make at least 21k a year for the K1 visa and you should get the process started soon because if you change your mind you can always back out of it, up until you hand in the I-134 form on the day she goes for the appointment.

Some guys don't mind living in a third world country. If I had a family, I would live in the states, your child will have more opportunity in the states. But that's your choice.

Congrats to both of you on the kid. I hope it changes your life for the best.

Thanks for the good wishes. I need to look more into the k1 visa while saving up USD. I would be okay living in a third world country, as we both live a very simple life, but like you stated, I would prefer to raise my child in the USA... close to family.

Whatever you were doing for $20 an hour online, think of it this way. All of us start somewhere. Not many guys in their 20s who don't leave the states in their 20s spend that time back home killing it financially in that time either. Instead, they were working their way up, if even, and blowing money on school, etc. And on top of that, most people work various "careers" in their lifetime.

Given those observations, what avenues could you possibly go down from where you've already started that might leave what you did before looking like an uncertain start of a larger career track? What avenue or different approaches might be open to you now that aren't to others - at least not in a way they're cognizant of?

I think too many people confuse themselves that an online career has to look like traditional careers do. Not to mention what do traditional careers even look like anymore?

I wouldn't suggest working for $20/hour for the rest of your life, especially if you're going to be a family man. But starting out there while you build skills and a network elsewhere? And that while living in South America with a solid girl you're into? Why not?

Stranger things have worked out, my friend.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Quote: (02-13-2019 12:44 PM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

Whatever you were doing for $20 an hour online, think of it this way. All of us start somewhere. Not many guys in their 20s who don't leave the states in their 20s spend that time back home killing it financially in that time either. Instead, they were working their way up, if even, and blowing money on school, etc. And on top of that, most people work various "careers" in their lifetime.

Given those observations, what avenues could you possibly go down from where you've already started that might leave what you did before looking like an uncertain start of a larger career track? What avenue or different approaches might be open to you now that aren't to others - at least not in a way they're cognizant of?

I think too many people confuse themselves that an online career has to look like traditional careers do. Not to mention what do traditional careers even look like anymore?

I wouldn't suggest working for $20/hour for the rest of your life, especially if you're going to be a family man. But starting out there while you build skills and a network elsewhere? And that while living in South America with a solid girl you're into? Why not?

Stranger things have worked out, my friend.

Absolutely, thanks for the reply. Yes, my plan was just to work the online gig while in South America while being next to my future wife/seeing the birth of my child. I have individual skills that could lead to a larger career in the USA, definitely. I may need to put in work for a few years before I'm making really good money, but all is not totally lost.

I think I have the financial part figured out now (about what to do work-wise during my girlfriend's pregnancy). I don't really care to live a location independent lifestyle, as I plan to stay in the USA at some point when we get there.. but that idea is still not set in stone. I will think of business ideas in the meantime/gaining skills of value.