rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The "Is Google Just Shit?" Thread

Hey.

Long-time lurker, rare poster (I've been in an LTR for a few years).

A few Roosh Hours ago, it was pointed out how the Google staff (who had their pictures taken at the protests) didn't look like the technical wizards we've come to expect of Google's apparent expertise. In fact, many just look a bit... weird:

[Image: gyrvqoq.jpg]

As someone who has followed the rise of Google over the last 20 years, this was some harsh truth.

Despite being massively successful, Google has now become a bloated shadow of its former self. Apparently 20,000 Google staff walked out during one day of protest - what organisation could make the argument that 20,000 staff are essential to its operation? They evidently weren't that essential because Google actually supported a walk-out of its own staff.

In the same video, Roosh theorised that Google's "advanced algothirim" for detecting bad content is little more than a find and replace tool.

That idea has stuck with me, and since then I've thought about other seemingly simple things that Google are working on which haven't come to fruition. This goes from everything from the obvious limits of Google Assistant (it can't read me my text messages or emails???) to their self-driving car project which has been met with limited success (which they've thrown money at since 2009).

This has really been highlighted today, with the notification on YouTube about Article 13 (the EU's forthcoming copyright law). At the bottom, there's a link to a generically-named pdf document (good work, Google Communications) where they basically admit that Content ID is not up to scratch to do any filtering on the scale needed of the new law.

To me, this only supports the idea that Google aren't really good with technology anymore. Content ID is not up to scratch, and I think there's not actually a massively complicated algorithm running the show at YouTube - instead it's probably just a couple of thousand low-paid (and apparently sexually harassed) staff reacting to reports and general bad press.

Am I going crazy here? I read Douglas Edwards' book about Google when I was 22 and it really influenced my work ethic... but fuck, I don't think there's many people left there from those early days.

Even today, a YouTube videogame reviewer I follow has had their review video claimed... by a random Turkish company that has no association with Microsoft.

But hey, it's not as if Google are one of the biggest tech companies in the world.

Great Scott!!!! Resize that photo before its too late.....
[Image: giphy.gif]

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

What's the point of this thread?

Cattle 5000 Rustlings #RustleHouseRecords #5000Posts
Houston (Montrose), Texas

"May get ugly at times. But we get by. Real Niggas never die." - cdr

Follow the Rustler on Twitter | Telegram: CattleRustler

Game is the difference between a broke average looking dude in a 2nd tier city turning bad bitch feminists into maids and fucktoys and a well to do lawyer with 50x the dough taking 3 dates to bang broads in philly.

Quote: (11-22-2018 04:25 PM)Cr33pin Wrote:  

Great Scott!!!! Resize that photo before its too late.....
[Image: giphy.gif]

Done. [Image: biggrin.gif]

"Find and replace tool" lol

Google has the best AI engineers in the world, but the majority of software engineering work is maintenance. The average time for an engineer there is 3 years, so it's hard to hire new people now. There's only the minority excellent people and the majority mediocre people, with not much middle ground.

Google ruined YouTube. I did an article way back in 2005 for a music mag on how YouTube was bringing back old music videos.

Back then YouTube was an indie company with its own public relations staff. If I had mentioned "social justice" or "banning" they'd have probably not known what I was talking about.

Once they got swallowed up by Google, they became corporate crap, banning people left and right and acting like Mother Superior.

We should have laws preventing big companies from swallowing up smaller ones under certain circumstances. The Google/YouTube merger gave Google way too much power/bandwidth on the Web. It's as if 70 percent of the stores in the mall had the same owner.

In the U.S., we let corporations run amuck but clamp down on ordinary citizens for every minor offense under the sun. Yet it's the bloated mega-companies that make our lives difficult, whether they're trying to dictate what we can or can't say or whether they're putting us on hold for two hours with their idiotic call centers.

I don't see Trump changing this much. I was hoping he'd hold a vendetta against Google/YouTube and their SJW-fueled bans and bitch slap in some way. I was also hoping he'd take on Amazon. Maybe this will happen if he gets a second term.

Google is a data mining op, and the most successful at it. If google execs wanted to air the dirty laundry of any of the forum members here, they could do it very easily.

Hope y'all are using a vpn.

Google maps is good, but increasingly I see how much of a total crutch it is, and that it mentally stunts a man's ability to dead Reckon, improvise, or ascertain directions. I'm getting a little better about not using it, even if it means getting lost here and there. Remember before Google maps if you got lost you usually discovered something new and also had to figure the right way out, so you had to show perseverance as well as deal with setbacks. Small things but also character developing.

Tell them too much, they wouldn't understand; tell them what they know, they would yawn.
They have to move up by responding to challenges, not too easy not too hard, until they paused at what they always think is the end of the road for all time instead of a momentary break in an endless upward spiral

Quote: (11-24-2018 08:20 AM)Robert High Hawk Wrote:  

Google maps is good, but increasingly I see how much of a total crutch it is, and that it mentally stunts a man's ability to dead Reckon, improvise, or ascertain directions. I'm getting a little better about not using it, even if it means getting lost here and there. Remember before Google maps if you got lost you usually discovered something new and also had to figure the right way out, so you had to show perseverance as well as deal with setbacks. Small things but also character developing.

"Where's the nearest pet shop?"

"Just use Google Maps lol"