rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Faux leather jacket

Faux leather jacket

This is going to be my first jacket of this type. Should I get black or brown? Leaning towards getting a brown jacket as it looks equally sharp but is less common. Going for faux leather as it does not get cold enough in my area; a leather jacket would not get much use.

I'm thinking of making the purchase during this Black Friday. What would be the best stores to look for such a jacket? What's a reasonable price? Thanks!

Faux leather jacket

For me, faux leather is a big no no. If you want to rock the leather jacket look, you have to commit to the outfit. A faux leather jacket will only end up looking cheap and ruin the look, plus pleather starts peeling off after a while, making it look even worse.

The color highly depends on your wardrobe. I would get a dark brown one but its only because im more of a brown shoes type of guy.

Also, buying a jacket online is a big bet. Since it is quite an investment, I would try it out in person. That way you´ll see the cuff lenght, shoulder length and overall cut better. Since it is quite an investment, it is better to choose a timeless piece; one that only will get better with time.

Faux leather jacket

Get real leather, and get brown as it's more versatile (as far as leather jackets go). Unless you're the Fonz

Faux leather jacket

Belongs in the main thread, -1

Faux leather jacket

Quote: (11-21-2018 01:50 PM)joecolombia Wrote:  

For me, faux leather is a big no no. If you want to rock the leather jacket look, you have to commit to the outfit. A faux leather jacket will only end up looking cheap and ruin the look, plus pleather starts peeling off after a while, making it look even worse.

The color highly depends on your wardrobe. I would get a dark brown one but its only because im more of a brown shoes type of guy.

Also, buying a jacket online is a big bet. Since it is quite an investment, I would try it out in person. That way you´ll see the cuff lenght, shoulder length and overall cut better. Since it is quite an investment, it is better to choose a timeless piece; one that only will get better with time.

Thanks Joe and Stalin for the input, appreciate it. Yes, dark brown is what I was thinking on getting, and you both seem to support this. I mostly wear brown shoes as well, usually wear magnannis or allen edmonds.

Leather is great and I agree with what you mentioned, and I have no problems investing in a good jacket. Thing is, the temperature rarely dips below 55F where I live. I'll look in to some of the dark brown leather options. Thanks.

p.s.: What's the main thread you're referring to, the "Fashion and style lounge" thread under the Life sub-forum?

Faux leather jacket

Yes on brown if you insist on getting pleather. However, if you want a rugged look but don't want to buy real leather, consider a good-quality denim jacket. It looks more genuine and way less try-hard than fake leather. I also live in a warm climate and get good use out of mine.

Faux leather jacket

Theres plenty of thin leather jackets that are good for moderate weather. Pleather might look ok in pics or at first sight but youre gonna feel like a bum wearing it.

Faux leather jacket

Quote: (11-21-2018 06:29 PM)Beirut Wrote:  

Theres plenty of thin leather jackets that are good for moderate weather. Pleather might look ok in pics or at first sight but youre gonna feel like a bum wearing it.

There are plenty of leather jacket that are very versatile and can be used in warmer weathers. That is why you should go personally and check them out. Check the inner linning and how thick the leather is.

Denim jackets are pretty hard to pull off but if you´re into that, might as well give it a try. they are much fresher.

IMO brown leather jackets can be used in several ocasions and for different weathers. You just look badass in them.

Faux leather jacket

You should have posted a picture. Too many leather jackets. Some are awesome others are shit.

Brown leather jackets are less threatening and are more popular with "non sexual guys". Black is more dominant looking. If you want to look a bit like a "bad boy" you should get black.

If you have never worn a leather jacket or are not sure about what style fits you best, buy something cheap. If you do know what you want and what style fits you, spend as much as possible. A good leather jacket can easy cost you a 1000 euro. It will last a lifetime and your grandkids can wear it too.

Best place to buy leather are specialized stores. No quality can be found in large chain stores.

Second hand leather is often an excellent choice.

Do not impulse buy. Think and think again before spending your money.

Only three ways to do something: "The right way. The wrong way. Or my way. Obviously my way is best."

Faux leather jacket

Quote: (11-22-2018 11:01 AM)BadBoyGamer Wrote:  

You should have posted a picture. Too many leather jackets. Some are awesome others are shit.

Brown leather jackets are less threatening and are more popular with "non sexual guys". Black is more dominant looking. If you want to look a bit like a "bad boy" you should get black.

If you have never worn a leather jacket or are not sure about what style fits you best, buy something cheap. If you do know what you want and what style fits you, spend as much as possible. A good leather jacket can easy cost you a 1000 euro. It will last a lifetime and your grandkids can wear it too.

Best place to buy leather are specialized stores. No quality can be found in large chain stores.

Second hand leather is often an excellent choice.

Do not impulse buy. Think and think again before spending your money.

Thanks Mike, Beirut, Joe and BadBoy for sharing your thoughts. Looks like I at least need to check out some of the leather jackets that are a bit more versatile and that I could get more use of.

Faux leather jacket

Spend money on a quality real leather.

Faux leather jacket

Fake leather, or, to put it more olde world/ancienne monde: cuir faux: doesn't smell as good as/does age as nicely as leather.

Faux leather jacket

I would always go with brown as I generally only wear brown leather. But I agree, fake leather looks cheap to begin with and peels off after about a year. You want true leather.

"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilised community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others...in the part which merely concerns himself, his independence is, of right, absolute." - John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Faux leather jacket

A red leather jacket is the only way to go.

I've literally had girls that are complete strangers come up to me and kiss me, more than once, because of what a stylish red leather jacket can do to a woman's mind.

You have to be able to pull it off though, to convey a certain essence. Think Tyler Durden in Fight Club and James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause, that's the archetype you're aiming to channel.

Faux leather jacket

Quote: (11-21-2018 05:36 PM)mcw78912 Wrote:  

Thanks Joe and Stalin for the input, appreciate it. Yes, dark brown is what I was thinking on getting, and you both seem to support this. I mostly wear brown shoes as well, usually wear magnannis or allen edmonds.

Leather is great and I agree with what you mentioned, and I have no problems investing in a good jacket. Thing is, the temperature rarely dips below 55F where I live. I'll look in to some of the dark brown leather options. Thanks.

p.s.: What's the main thread you're referring to, the "Fashion and style lounge" thread under the Life sub-forum?

I wouldn't knock the pleather jackets off so quickly. The quality of leather jackets can wildly vary. It used to be true that all pleather jackets were crap and a complete waste of money. You would've been better off saving your money getting the real thing.

But we live in the age when craftsmanship is placed as an after thought to marketing. One little scheme you may see marketed is "Genuine Leather" as a way sell bottom of the barrel quality leather and sell it at a premium.

If you are going to buy a leather jacket, look into buying an older and used jacket. The wear and tear will show the quality of the build of of the jacket. In addition, it gives it a bit of character.

If you buy a new leather jacket, ALWAYS buy it in person. You want to get a feeling for the thickness of the jacket to see if its durable. Just because a jacket is more expensive does not mean it is a good jacket. But there is no such thing as cheap leather jacket that is high quality.

As far as pleather jackets, the upside is less maintenance and costs less. The downside is buying a pleather jacket will always be tackier than a real leather jacket and never have that leather feel when you wear it.

My advice is to put the durability and fashion image before anything else.

Faux leather jacket

I bought a faux leather jacket a while ago as a sort of trial run to see how I liked the style before dropping 5x or more money on a real leather jacket. I've gotten lots of compliments on it, because it fits well and looks good. Maybe some people can tell it's not real leather, but who cares?

It's starting to peel in spots though, so I'll have to retire it soon. Lasted about a year and I wore it more than any other coat during that time so a successful purchase in my book.

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.

A true friend is the most precious of all possessions and the one we take the least thought about acquiring.

Faux leather jacket

Quote: (01-01-2019 08:54 AM)Spaniard88 Wrote:  

A red leather jacket is the only way to go.

I've literally had girls that are complete strangers come up to me and kiss me, more than once, because of what a stylish red leather jacket can do to a woman's mind.

You have to be able to pull it off though, to convey a certain essence. Think Tyler Durden in Fight Club and James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause, that's the archetype you're aiming to channel.
No kisses, but I have had multiple girls approach me because of my black biker jacket. I think the key is that it fits me, my look, and my persona like your red jacket fits for you. You can wear a cool jacket but still look like a total dweeb if you are one.

Faux leather jacket

Get a Schott black leather jacket. never wrong

Faux leather jacket

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Just thought I'd update. So I went ahead with my purchase and bought a faux leather jacket. I got one in dark brown, from Guess. My goal was to figure out how much use it will get and whether I would like this look.

Well, turns out, I'm actually wearing it quite a bit and like the look, and it fits me really well. After that, I bought a black leather jacket that's relatively lightweight and I would get to wear (almost never below 50F where I live).

Now that I know this look works for me, I'll be looking out for a quality leather jacket. Thanks everyone for your input.

Faux leather jacket

Quote: (01-04-2019 12:50 PM)PolymathGuru Wrote:  

Quote: (11-21-2018 05:36 PM)mcw78912 Wrote:  

I wouldn't knock the pleather jackets off so quickly. The quality of leather jackets can wildly vary. It used to be true that all pleather jackets were crap and a complete waste of money. You would've been better off saving your money getting the real thing.

But we live in the age when craftsmanship is placed as an after thought to marketing. One little scheme you may see marketed is "Genuine Leather" as a way sell bottom of the barrel quality leather and sell it at a premium.

If you are going to buy a leather jacket, look into buying an older and used jacket. The wear and tear will show the quality of the build of of the jacket. In addition, it gives it a bit of character.

If you buy a new leather jacket, ALWAYS buy it in person. You want to get a feeling for the thickness of the jacket to see if its durable. Just because a jacket is more expensive does not mean it is a good jacket. But there is no such thing as cheap leather jacket that is high quality.

As far as pleather jackets, the upside is less maintenance and costs less. The downside is buying a pleather jacket will always be tackier than a real leather jacket and never have that leather feel when you wear it.

My advice is to put the durability and fashion image before anything else.

Excellent points, Polymathguru. I 100% agree regarding looking into durability and style.

Faux leather jacket

OP: Fly to Florence, Italy if you can swing it. Its the leather capital of the world. I bought 4 custom full grain leather jackets there for a $1000. Get sheepskin for warm weather. Cow hide for colder weather. You can negotiate some if you buy two. Most of the shops will customize rhe coat fit for free. Bonus- run game on Italian women and tourists there. PM me and I can send you the name of a family shop that has been there for a few hundred years and incredibke jackets. In the US, an equivalent coat will run you 800-1200 each.

Check this out:

http://www.italymagazine.com/featured-st...r-florence

Faux leather jacket

Women, men, boys, girls and even dogs and cats.

They will all be visibly disappointed that your leather jacket smells like plastic.

Don't do it.

Faux leather jacket

Quote: (01-06-2019 04:40 AM)spydersuit Wrote:  

OP: Fly to Florence, Italy if you can swing it. Its the leather capital of the world. I bought 4 custom full grain leather jackets there for a $1000. Get sheepskin for warm weather. Cow hide for colder weather. You can negotiate some if you buy two. Most of the shops will customize rhe coat fit for free. Bonus- run game on Italian women and tourists there. PM me and I can send you the name of a family shop that has been there for a few hundred years and incredibke jackets. In the US, an equivalent coat will run you 800-1200 each.

Check this out:

http://www.italymagazine.com/featured-st...r-florence

That's good to know. I might visit the Scandinavian countries this year but if I am able to add Italy, shall PM you for more information. Thanks for sharing the info.