rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Help for my Cousin

Help for my Cousin

Hi guys,

My cousin (23 as of Nov 2018) finished his engineering bachelors in 2016, from a tier-1 UK university (think Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial). He has been lost since then. He managed to only get a 2:2 (think CGPA 2.5 - 3.0), and couldn't secure a tier 2 work visa (mainly because of the grades) and had to return to India. He has lost interest in STEM field.

Also, Since 2016, his dad convinced him to prepare for government-job exams, but couldn't get it. Also he doesn't want the govt. job (yes "Beggars cant be Choosers", but I agree with him about this choice: no point in selling your 20s and your soul for extra bucks via corruption, also losing control of your life; reality of govt. jobs in India)

For the past 4-5 months, I have set him on the right path - physique and weight loss (gym, swimming, & nutrition) (ah, those beginner gains [Image: icon_lol.gif]), game, reading (philosophy, & sales for now) and set him up in real estate sales in my friend's company (no pay) to fill his resume (does well here). He is also preparing for GMAT, to get into a top-tier Management college in India. I think he'll do well in the test, he's a smart kid.

He is interested in business, so I talked to him about online sales, drop-shipping, and online marketing. But he doesn't seem very confident about succeeding in web design, SEO, and digital marketing.

Question:
- Any ideas on how he can start his professional/money-making part of life?
- Should I push him more into drop-shipping and online sales?

He is losing precious time. If he gets into a top tier Management program (starting 2019), then I can set him up in front-office Investment Banking and Mgmt. Consulting positions in Mumbai/Delhi. No problem. From then, it is a different ball game. (And, yes, that university brand name and masters is necessary in India).

The online marketing exposure will increase his confidence with online businesses. Who cares if there's failure, at least he'll know. And it's low investment. If he shows reluctance, maybe time for tough love?
(PS - in the future, digital advertising is going to go to AI anyways. So, even I'm a bit iffy. Can be outsourced, but I don't think it is right to outsource such a major aspect of the business so early)

Guys, he's family. He's more like my little brother, and looks upto me. I dont want to leave him behind. Besides his mom, used to help me with my Hindi and English Language exams when I was in school, and his dad taught me how to play chess. Just finished a phone call with his mom. The parents are worried. Just can't leave him behind

Appreciate your help.

Help for my Cousin

Quote: (09-30-2018 12:42 PM)maharajj Wrote:  

Hi guys,

My cousin (23 as of Nov 2018) finished his engineering bachelors in 2016, from a tier-1 UK university (think Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial). He has been lost since then. He managed to only get a 2:2 (think CGPA 2.5 - 3.0), and couldn't secure a tier 2 work visa (mainly because of the grades) and had to return to India. He has lost interest in STEM field.

Also, Since 2016, his dad convinced him to prepare for government-job exams, but couldn't get it. Also he doesn't want the govt. job (yes "Beggars cant be Choosers", but I agree with him about this choice: no point in selling your 20s and your soul for extra bucks via corruption, also losing control of your life; reality of govt. jobs in India)

For the past 4-5 months, I have set him on the right path - physique and weight loss (gym, swimming, & nutrition) (ah, those beginner gains [Image: icon_lol.gif]), game, reading (philosophy, & sales for now) and set him up in real estate sales in my friend's company (no pay) to fill his resume (does well here). He is also preparing for GMAT, to get into a top-tier Management college in India. I think he'll do well in the test, he's a smart kid.

He is interested in business, so I talked to him about online sales, drop-shipping, and online marketing. But he doesn't seem very confident about succeeding in web design, SEO, and digital marketing.

Question:
- Any ideas on how he can start his professional/money-making part of life?
- Should I push him more into drop-shipping and online sales?

He is losing precious time. If he gets into a top tier Management program (starting 2019), then I can set him up in front-office Investment Banking and Mgmt. Consulting positions in Mumbai/Delhi. No problem. From then, it is a different ball game. (And, yes, that university brand name and masters is necessary in India).

The online marketing exposure will increase his confidence with online businesses. Who cares if there's failure, at least he'll know. And it's low investment. If he shows reluctance, maybe time for tough love?
(PS - in the future, digital advertising is going to go to AI anyways. So, even I'm a bit iffy. Can be outsourced, but I don't think it is right to outsource such a major aspect of the business so early)

Guys, he's family. He's more like my little brother, and looks upto me. I dont want to leave him behind. Besides his mom, used to help me with my Hindi and English Language exams when I was in school, and his dad taught me how to play chess. Just finished a phone call with his mom. The parents are worried. Just can't leave him behind

Appreciate your help.

I would tell him to join the military as an officer - be a military engineer of some kind for the least amount of time they will allow him to do (at first). Yes there is the loss of control of one's life to a certain extent but it is brilliant life experience that isn't replicated anywhere else, and should be a great resume builder.