rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Metaphysics of Land and Labor

The professions that we choose and the land that we call home have a profound impact on the structure of society we inherit. Two poles can be seen between a rural agrarian society, and an urban merchant society.

In a rural agrarian society, the people are tied to the land. They rely on the land to produce their sustenance, which they need to survive, and to trade with neighbors and others in their community. There would be a direct connection between labor and results, cause and effect, action and responsibility. Efforts to till the ground, sew the fields, and harvest the crops would produce direct, tangible results.

They may form a kind of spiritual connection with the land because it provides them with food, as if through a benevolent force of nature. They reside in the same area their entire lives, and loss of land would be tantamount to their ability to provide for themselves and survive. Thus they would feel a strong connection to defending their land against invaders. In a small community, reputation is paramount. Everyone knows each other, and underhanded behavior would be swiftly punished. A reputation of lieing, stealing, and violence would be easily detected and the community would unite against it.

In an urban merchant society, the values would be dramatically different. Urban societies seek to exploit growth in ever expanding, ever novel products in ever larger markets. The connection between labor and results would grow more intangible, as the value of labor shifts through fluctuating measures while passing through countless third party intermediaries. The behavior of society is geared towards greater and greater monopolization of capital. A vast urban environment provides anonymity, allowing those of ill repute to escape detection and avoid repercussions for actions. The end of urban society would thus be materialism itself. Morality would be an impediment to maximizing capital allocation, and psychopathy would be rewarded.

It would be difficult for rural societies to defend against the organizational and numerical might of urban societies. But as urban societies lose their sense of purpose, they may become defenseless from the inside out. Perhaps Rome is an illustration of these poles. While the empire began with a strong army of landowners, it eventually crumbled as an urban merchant empire which relied on mercenaries to defend itself.

Society will continue to urbanize for the time being. But within each society lay its own strengths and weaknesses. As the battle between the Guelphs and Ghibellines showed, it can rage for hundreds of years. Different environments produce different societies, and different people gravitate towards different environments.

Beginning to sound a bit like Varg here bro.

I don't fully share the negativity towards city living. I wish I could live like my grandfather did, but if that was really so great, why did he go to extraordinary lengths to go to the city to study, work and live?

I have some hope of some sort of agraro-futurism in the realm of the french identitarian movement (the original, not political). I hope that technology would allow people to live further from cities, while still connected to the economy and information.

As for me personally, I want to spend far more time in rural environments, but it's not exactly something you can decide to do from one day to the next, as LDBs datasheet talked about.

I can only point out that cities used to be different.

Quote:[/url]

Quote:

Quote:[url=https://twitter.com/wrathofgnon/status/1025240699560574976]

G

Quote: (08-05-2018 06:05 PM)Geomann180 Wrote:  

I can only point out that cities used to be different.

Quote:[/url]

Quote:

Quote:[url=https://twitter.com/wrathofgnon/status/1025240699560574976]

G

Do you have links to something about this topic?

Not, really, I was alerted to this topic by the twitter handle @wrathofgnon. I'm sure he's got books that reference the topic, if you'd like me to ask.

G

This is a classic on the topic. Funny too.

“The greatest burden a child must bear is the unlived life of its parents.”

Carl Jung

Quote: (08-12-2018 06:05 PM)nomadbrah Wrote:  

Do you have links to something about this topic?

The guy who tweeted those has a Tumblr page.

http://wrathofgnon.tumblr.com/

Lots of good short posts with pictures.

[Image: tumblr_pb7sez4vCT1uaxri9o1_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_pb2g1iYsNl1uaxri9o1_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_papfvzlqrr1uaxri9o1_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_pa7ru37GQg1uaxri9o1_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_p7z5e69p1n1uaxri9o1_1280.jpg]

“The greatest burden a child must bear is the unlived life of its parents.”

Carl Jung

There's a whole movement around this topic called "Strong Towns".

https://www.strongtowns.org/