rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

David Goggins: Modern Warrior

I was lucky enough to come across David Goggins recently and his story has had a profound impact on my life.

He was on Joe Rogan's podcast and he told his story there.

He's a navy seal and has competed in many ultra marathons that have tested his willpower and broken his body.

I find his philosophy to be stoic.

He says that in order to grow in life we must be willing to suffer.

Through suffering, we develop callus for our minds.

Here's another podcast that I loved:

Here's a good article that summarizes his philosophy with 10 quotes

https://www.fearlessmotivation.com/2017/...ns-quotes/

His story kind of reminds me of Miyamoto Musashi a throwback warrior

Heard that podcast with Joe Rogan a while back. David Goggins' story is one of the more inspiring stories I have heard.

Anybody who has a couple free hours to listen should do so.

I'm not sure about the physical suffering, ever heard for the "runner's high"? The body pumps out feel-good endorphins that produce a feeling of euphoria and numbs physical pain. Most people who are compulsive runners like this guy are addicted to this endorphin. Running too much is not healthy, and running beyond a marathon at fairly regular intervals can't be good for you in the long run. In addition to wearing out your knees and cartilage, there is a point above which too much aerobic training can have adverse effects on your cardiovascular system and longetivity. There is a sweet spot that's way below this guy's extreme regimen, something like 30-40min every other day.

“Nothing is more useful than to look upon the world as it really is.”

David Goggins is a really impressive person and his dedication to personal growth can teach us all alot about ourselves. He mentioned being unhappy for a long time and something he brings up is being an outsider and having a difficult time getting friends, even lying about his interests to be accepted. Instead of going down that path he chose to become a fucking beast and embrace his own personality, conquer his fears, and accept challenges most would never consider. Inspiring

Undertaking a marathon?

Is there an Uber app. for that...?

cato - excellent thread. thanks for posting this.

haters - I suggest watching one of the videos or learning something about Goggins before posting. From his wikipedia page "Goggins is the only member in the U.S. Armed Forces to complete SEAL training, Ranger School and Air Force Tactical Air Controller training." I don't think he got through special operations training in three branches of the military due to the "feel-good endophins of runner's high". That is an ignorant thing to say.

Quote: (07-29-2018 02:28 PM)911 Wrote:  

I'm not sure about the physical suffering, ever heard for the "runner's high"? The body pumps out feel-good endorphins that produce a feeling of euphoria and numbs physical pain. Most people who are compulsive runners like this guy are addicted to this endorphin. Running too much is not healthy, and running beyond a marathon at fairly regular intervals can't be good for you in the long run. In addition to wearing out your knees and cartilage, there is a point above which too much aerobic training can have adverse effects on your cardiovascular system and longetivity. There is a sweet spot that's way below this guy's extreme regimen, something like 30-40min every other day.

Quote: (07-31-2018 10:33 PM)birthday cat Wrote:  

cato - excellent thread. thanks for posting this.

haters - I suggest watching one of the videos or learning something about Goggins before posting. From his wikipedia page "Goggins is the only member in the U.S. Armed Forces to complete SEAL training, Ranger School and Air Force Tactical Air Controller training." I don't think he got through special operations training in three branches of the military due to the "feel-good endophins of runner's high". That is an ignorant thing to say.

Well both these things can be true. No doubt he's extremely tough, and tons of respect for anyone who is a SEAL, Ranger & TAC. But doing this kind of stuff is going to shorten your life, this isn't a man who is going to live to a healthy old age and be comfortable. He's just a different kind of man.

"One of his remarkable achievements is completing the Mont Blanc 100-mile race. In this race, Goggins had to complete 100 miles within 24 hours and after 70 miles his body had shut down.

He had stress fractures in his legs, shin splints, his kidneys had shut down, he was pooping his pants because the bathroom was too far away, and peeing blood because his organs were failing. As if this wasn’t enough, he also had a hole in his heart while he finished the 100 miles.

From an average Joe’s perspective, he was almost on the brink of death. But he didn’t stop. And that’s why he’s the toughest man in the world."

We're all for physical fitness and being a badass in the gym, but I agree with 911 about the dangers of extreme cardio, this is literally a story of running yourself to death. You can be the toughest man in the world, and put yourself in an early grave doing shit like that over and over again. "If you're dumb you gotta be tough!"...and if this guy lives beyond 70 he's going to need robotic legs. To the average person obviously this would be a horrible thing to advise, most people aren't capable of this regimen. I do love his philosophy of mental toughness however, and it does go hand-in-hand with physical toughness. It's an Icarus sort of thing though, how close to the Sun are you willing to fly, when one inch too close means death?

That's the double edged sword of the warrior life, he's compelled to do this kind of activity even if it kills him. That's why we love and respect the soldiers who sacrifice for something, they shorten their lives for their country. It's a conundrum, I respect him, but I also wouldn't want to kill myself or voluntarily shorten my life by running until my heart stops. Maybe some guys are just built to die, Society needs guys like this so the rest of us can live our lives longer and comfortably.

Good thread idea. I've posted some videos of Goggins speaking before around the forum and have thought about starting a thread myself - whether or not you like where he puts his extreme mental focus and how he puts it to use, he's a fucking machine and there's a lot of value to be drawn from his ideas.

Of course he has flaws. As always, take what moves you and holds value while letting what you don't need go. This applies to virtually every person you'll ever encounter in life that you can learn from.

I used to listen to him on my ipod every morning while running to the gym and back.

This guy's words will really get you in the zone.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Everybody is seeking some kind of satisfaction from life. And this guy found it in pushing the limits. If he wouldn´t do that, his life would be worthless to him.

Some of that posts say, it´s bad for his health what he is doing. And? Yes, body has a limits (even though average person crush them not even from 10%) and he is crushing them as much as possible. If he become old man, he will suffer with his body. But that´s every old person do. Dying when doing something that are only few men from the world population capable is noble death.
Maybe you can disagree with me, but dying in whatever age doing something you are devoted to and what you thing is right, is much better death then flowing through life and than dying on the beginning of your pension because insurance company find you to be too old to give you money for your treatment. Or when you die of heart attack, because last 50 years you eated only garbage that clogged up your heart. That are not the deaths the men deserve. You will die anyway. It´s better to die, because something, than die because.. nothing.

"Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."

If you guys had watched the videos you wouldn't have those questions about the health issues.

The reason he pushed himself so hard was because he was an insecure kid growing up and was buillied.

He wanted to turn himself from a weak man to a strong man and he was never going to give up even if it killed him.

Going through that pain and suffering made him realize that he was capable of greatness, even for a dumb fat kid.

That journey led him discover who he is a warrior.

That sense of accomplishment after finishing one of those hellish races is his greatest joy.

He never felt happer after completing that first 100 mile run.

The man is not perfect, far from it.

He would be the first to admit that he wasn't a good teamate and wasn't a good leader because he push others too hard.

This is a cut down interview of David Goggins so it's less than 15 minutes. I really encourage guys to watch this. If you don't know Goggins then his message probably isn't what you are expecting. He's been through a lot of abuse and challenges in his life which are difficult for me to describe. But through those challenges he pushed his mind farther than people realize is possible. Some of the stuff is almost unbelievable but there are people who have witnessed it all. It's definitely worth the 15 minutes if you don't know much about him.

Here's a great new video from David Goggins in which talks about his story and his philosophy.

-He talks about Rocky and going the distance

-The concept of a cookie jar

-Always be sharpening your sword. We grow soft as we gain success, but the only way to get better is to be put in uncomfortable positions

-Callusing your mind

Btw, his new book Can't Hurt Me comes out tomorrow. I can't wait until I read it

https://www.amazon.com/Cant-Hurt-Me-Mast...7t+hurt+me

The real upshot? David Goggins cleans Jordan Peterson's room.

We suffer more in our own minds than we do in reality.
-Seneca

"Let me Google how to suffer. It ain't in there!"

JRE podcast no. 2 to promote the new book :

Individual JRE Clips :

Listening to Music While Working Out is Cheating
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lre-OpA-utU

Building Mental Toughness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz15aJR3Mw

David Goggins on "Taking Souls"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTrlRR-WB8o

The Problem with Self Help Books
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynL5CzTL-KM

Was already thinking about going jogging yesterday.
After listening to Goggins for even 20 mins in a couple of those JRE Clips, there was no option.

It may not have amounted to a ~200mile marathon.
Yet can't argue against running 2kms in 12 minutes.
Quick break.
40 push-ups.
Jogging of a third K.
Another 30 push-ups.
Jogging a final fourth K.
Another 30 push-ups.
& 20 bicep-curl heaves on a horizontal bar.

Not a full "Murph" by any means, yet not bad for a guy who can see 40 on the horizon.

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

If you guys haven't bought his book "Can't Hurt Me", I would highly recommend it. Guy is an animal and everyone can take a page out of life and apply it to their own.

"Money over bitches, nigga stick to the script." - Jay-Z
They gonna love me for my ambition.

I enjoyed his first JRE appearance... but the recent one seemed almost like he's now sucking his own dick a little. Overcoming adversity is motivational because it's a common experience and goal for many people but he focuses on being a victim quite a bit.

The other thing I found slightly amusing was that as an African descendant born in America, his peeps fought to be free of working in slave like conditions that involve grueling physical labour and yet here he is seeking it out and thriving on it. The running part makes sense. Ancestral memories/evolution? I think about my own family's evolution sometimes, there are definite parallels and aptitudes for certain things.

Quote: (12-23-2018 11:50 AM)TheFinalEpic Wrote:  

If you guys haven't bought his book "Can't Hurt Me", I would highly recommend it. Guy is an animal and everyone can take a page out of life and apply it to their own.

Bought my 17 year old nephew a copy of the book for X-Mas.
Not to make the kid a David Goggin's devotee.
Rather.
To simply demonstrate a type of mentality & a type of person you normally won't come across on "safe space" mass media.

Just watched the whole video (the first JRE video). One of his quotes:

"Tell yourself the truth. If someone calls you fucking fat, they may be bullying you, but you might be fucking fat. Someone calls you dumb? It's mean, but you might be fucking dumb. It's life, man, take it for what it's worth and change it."

Good stuff, very inspirational to hear this guy's story and no bullshit approach to life.

Has anyone read his book yet? I'm pondering giving it a read, but hearing a guy ramble about running marathons could be pretty tedious.

You want to know the only thing you can assume about a broken down old man? It's that he's a survivor.

Quote: (12-23-2018 07:47 PM)renotime Wrote:  

Has anyone read his book yet? I'm pondering giving it a read, but hearing a guy ramble about running marathons could be pretty tedious.

I've put it on my "to read" list and will start reading it soon. Will make sure to report back here

Quote: (12-23-2018 07:57 PM)Winston Wolfe Wrote:  

I've put it on my "to read" list and will start reading it soon. Will make sure to report back here

I'm curious to know about Delta selection and why he wasn't picked. My guess is that it was due to his personality.

You want to know the only thing you can assume about a broken down old man? It's that he's a survivor.

Yeah, I read it. One of my favorites now and I've incorporated some of his routines into my own life. Amazing book if you're on a journey of personal growth.

Quote: (12-23-2018 11:34 PM)renotime Wrote:  

Quote: (12-23-2018 07:57 PM)Winston Wolfe Wrote:  

I'm curious to know about Delta selection and why he wasn't picked. My guess is that it was due to his personality.

On his first attempt he was injured in the selection course and could not continue. He was immediately invited back to try again.

After her healed up and a little while later, he went back. He was crushing the course, became lackadaisical on the final navigation course, mis-plotted his course, did not do proper, very basic, navigation SOP's because he was so far ahead of everyone (he thought), realized his mistake too late... Knowing he was going to fail the required time to arrive at his next point from his current position, he chose to cheat on the course (by using roads, strictly and specifically forbidden) and he was eliminated by the cadre.

**Had nothing to do with his personality, unless you consider it a personality flaw/problem to overestimate your abilities and make a simple mistake. They wanted him there or he would not have been invited back to try a second time.