rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Russian Warship "Carrying $133 Billion In Gold" Discovered Off South Korea

Russian Warship "Carrying 3 Billion In Gold" Discovered Off South Korea

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/...531882565/

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-07-1...outh-korea

Quote:Quote:

SEOUL, July 18 (UPI) -- A South Korean salvage company said it's found a Russian warship that sank in the East Sea during the Russo-Japanese war in 1905.

The Shinil Group said it discovered the Russian cruiser Dmitri Donskoii of the Baltic Fleet in waters off South Korea's eastern Ulleung Island on Sunday.

The company released photos and videos of the warship on its official website. They feature the ship's anchor, deck, wheels and the nameplate "Donskoii."

Shinil also said the ship contains 5,500 boxes of gold bars and coins worth billions of dollars.

Seoul's Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries said in a press release that any excavation project must be approved and the company has not submitted an application.

Shinil Group said its exploration team found the shipwreck with two submarines Saturday and revisited the site again to confirm it's the long-lost Russian warship. It found a nameplate written "Donskoii," Chosun Biz reported.

[Image: Screen-Shot-2018-07-19-at-7.53.19-AM.png]
[Image: donskoii.jpeg]
[Image: 2018-07-19_07-56-04.gif]
[Image: 2018-07-19_07-57-32.gif]

"A happy man is a happy everybody else in his life."

"Ladies if you want to make your man happy, think about what makes you happy and do exactly the opposite."

"Hey how you doin' and I hope you know that I'm an upgrade for your stupid daughter." - Patrice O'Neal

I wonder how many of these types of shipwrecks there are. Must be well into the trillions of dollars worth of gold and other valuables out there at the bottom of the oceans.

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.

A true friend is the most precious of all possessions and the one we take the least thought about acquiring.

Thats really cool but wheres the gold brah

Who gets to keep the gold?

I don't quite understand. Did all the previous Russian governments not know there was that much gold lying on the seabed? That's serious money even for a country. If they'd known, surely they would have made efforts to get it back, even if they had to do so covertly. I appreciate that shipwrecks are hard to find and everything, but fucking hell, that had to be worth a try.

So, it appears from that Zerohedge article that Russia will get half of that 133 billion. Or to put it another way, Russia has just lost 66 billion of its own money!

Also, I don't know why you would send a ship into battle carrying that much loot. The article states it was 'carrying the Fleet's funds' ?! What the fuck did they need all that spending money for?

EDIT: In having a cursory read-up on the Russo-Japanese War, I've been shocked to find what a monumental ass-kickin Japan gave Russia! Losing 2 of it's 3 fleets, 'monumental casualties' etc. Very interesting time historically, real 'balance of power shifting' stuff.

EDIT 2: I also didn't realise this (from Wikipedia);

'The Japanese were on the offensive for most of the war and used massed infantry assaults against defensive positions, which would later become the standard of all European armies during World War I. The battles of the Russo–Japanese War, in which machine guns and artillery took a heavy toll on Russian and Japanese troops, were a precursor to the trench warfare of World War I.'

My limited historical knowledge always gave me the impression that the horrors of WW1 trenches/machine-guns had no precedent, but looks like there was some forewarning to those in the know.

‘After you’ve got two eye-witness accounts, following an automobile accident, you begin
To worry about history’ – Tim Allen

Quote: (07-20-2018 07:48 AM)Richard Turpin Wrote:  

So, it appears from that Zerohedge article that Russia will get half of that 133 billion. Or to put it another way, Russia has just lost 66 billion of its own money!

Also, I don't know why you would send a ship into battle carrying that much loot. The article states it was 'carrying the Fleet's funds' ?! What the fuck did they need all that spending money for?

Good points, though I wonder if the fact Russia's government has been toppled twice since 1905 may have some bearing as to whether they get to claim it. Kind of an extreme example but when Roman treasure is discovered in England, would Italy get to claim it?

Under normal circumstances, maritime salvage law would dictate whoever manages to get the gold to the surface gets to keep it. This job is easier said then done. Gold is kind of heavy. There’s a lot of it, and a lot of people will want to get their hands on it.

I believe that in the bottom of the oceans there is a vast amount of richess that can not even be measured, that belonged to the Portuguese Empire, the huge expansion of this Empire at his apex, from Continental Europe to Brazil, all the coast of Africa, Arabian peninsula, India, Indonesia, the long voyages back to Lisbon with ships with "excess of luggage" due to the greed of the sponsors, governors and conquerors, where responsible for a lot of wreckages with subsequent loss of lives and ships. There is also a lot of Spanish gold in the bottom of the seas, but the voyage from the Americas to Cadiz was nowhere near as tough as the one the Portuguese had to do most of the time.

Highly recommend the book "Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea" by Gary Kinder.

https://www.amazon.ca/Ship-Gold-Deep-Blu...080214425X

It's been about 20 years since I read it, but it was all about the SS Central America, a US steamer that was loaded with gold from the California gold rush in the 1850s. It sunk off the Atlantic coast, and it just follows the journey of the treasure hunters who go looking for it, find targets, get investors on board, and try to bring the gold up to the surface, and the subsequent fights that ensued about who owned it. I believe the insurance companies came after them.

Fascinating book, and like a decade after as I as getting more into the stock market, discovered that it was actually listed on the exchanges, and they were trying to sell collectible $20 US double eagles etc. Despite how valuable gold is, a big marine operation with submersibles eats up money amazingly fast, and as I last recall they were having financial issues.

Quote: (07-20-2018 08:31 PM)Seadog Wrote:  

Highly recommend the book "Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea" by Gary Kinder.

https://www.amazon.ca/Ship-Gold-Deep-Blu...080214425X

It's been about 20 years since I read it, but it was all about the SS Central America, a US steamer that was loaded with gold from the California gold rush in the 1850s. It sunk off the Atlantic coast, and it just follows the journey of the treasure hunters who go looking for it, find targets, get investors on board, and try to bring the gold up to the surface, and the subsequent fights that ensued about who owned it. I believe the insurance companies came after them.

Fascinating book, and like a decade after as I as getting more into the stock market, discovered that it was actually listed on the exchanges, and they were trying to sell collectible $20 US double eagles etc. Despite how valuable gold is, a big marine operation with submersibles eats up money amazingly fast, and as I last recall they were having financial issues.

^^^^^^^ fitting username

"A happy man is a happy everybody else in his life."

"Ladies if you want to make your man happy, think about what makes you happy and do exactly the opposite."

"Hey how you doin' and I hope you know that I'm an upgrade for your stupid daughter." - Patrice O'Neal

Also, just out of curiosity, I'm wondering if that $133b is accurate. Just some back of the envelope math, but the article says ~200 tons of gold, but that would be ~400,000 pounds, ~5,000,000 oz or ~$5b. Nothing to sneeze at of course, but a far cry from $133b, which would be in excess of the US's current holdings in Fort Knox, and more than 1% of all gold ever mined up till today, never mind back then. Just seems excessive is all.... and apologies in advance that the engineer here has to poo-poo the math.

Edit: Slightly more sleuthing, $133b would be ~5000 tons, and according to: http://www.goldsheetlinks.com/production2.htm

Total cumulative gold mined up until 1905 was about 30,000 tons. Just find it hard to grasp that 1/6th of the world's gold was on one ship.

Quote: (07-20-2018 09:51 PM)Seadog Wrote:  

Also, just out of curiosity, I'm wondering if that $133b is accurate. Just some back of the envelope math, but the article says ~200 tons of gold, but that would be ~400,000 pounds, ~5,000,000 oz or ~$5b. Nothing to sneeze at of course, but a far cry from $133b, which would be in excess of the US's current holdings in Fort Knox, and more than 1% of all gold ever mined up till today, never mind back then. Just seems excessive is all.... and apologies in advance that the engineer here has to poo-poo the math.

Edit: Slightly more sleuthing, $133b would be ~5000 tons, and according to: http://www.goldsheetlinks.com/production2.htm

Total cumulative gold mined up until 1905 was about 30,000 tons. Just find it hard to grasp that 1/6th of the world's gold was on one ship.

The Commander of that ship was Nasa Test Pilot, seconded by Nola as his Lieautenant...so everything was possible. Maybe even more gold was there than the claimed quantity.

Quote: (07-20-2018 09:51 PM)Seadog Wrote:  

Well pretty much anything "reported" by Tyler Durden of Zerohedge you can expect zero research was completed and any articles sourced the author completely misunderstood

LOL Giving Half to Russia is worthwhile insurance against potential Seizure from South China Seas terrorists Chinese, NoKor or Japan Claims et.al. Also, Russia now has new Mega Nukes that work as NeoCons like to gloss over.