rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

EU Goes Full Soviet Union On Internet Censorship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvXOfq3AB8s

explains how, if passed, the proposed law will basically kill off alternative news.

I think it was posted in everything else

"A stripper last night brought up "Rich Dad Poor Dad" when I mentioned, "Think and Grow Rich""

^ I was the one that posted that. Lets use this thread for further discussion then.

Provide some background and context. This thread is useless if there is no intro information I can read prior to diving in.

I have been hearing about something called GDRP from when I put my ear towards lefty sources, is this what the EU is doing? Something along the lines of genderd controls of enternet where evreyting has to be consented to?

Sent this link to someone who works in a compliance/reg area at a large bank regarding GDRP.

He was blown away by how invasive the law is. Banks basically have to treat visitor's login information like they would social security numbers in the US, and the wording is so vague that it allows huge room for politically-motivated enforcement. It just uses adjectives to talk about how data needs to be stored without describing any tangible protections.

Essentially the most dangerous aspects is that using any kinds of links and content might get taxed with huge fines.

You link to a NYT article or a study - you better have your wallet open and pay up for 2 links.

That way they might be able to throttle all opposition - except the richest and most powerful one of course. This might get brutal.

EU will be dead in 10 years thank god. But they will cause untold damage until then.

Deus vult!

Best of all, this is an European "directive", so the EU countries have to make their own laws for this "directive" but most aren't ready yet (article is from the 8th of may so perhaps some are already ready now)

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-europ...SKBN1I915X

Quote: (05-30-2018 11:32 PM)Glaucon Wrote:  

EU will be dead in 10 years thank god. But they will cause untold damage until then.

Why do you think that?

Quote: (05-31-2018 12:32 AM)Meliorare93 Wrote:  

Why do you think that?

Laws of nature.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Quote: (05-30-2018 10:57 AM)ProGambler Wrote:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvXOfq3AB8s

explains how, if passed, the proposed law will basically kill off alternative news.

I kinda hope they do!
It will move the VISEgrad group plus 1 (Austria) - all 70 million of them - to dump the fascist EU and go it alone. Hopefully.

“There is no global anthem, no global currency, no certificate of global citizenship. We pledge allegiance to one flag, and that flag is the American flag!” -DJT

I didn't have the chance to hear about this new copyright law yet, so have no opinion on that. But I have to deal a lot with the GDPR nonsense because of my job. Everyone is currently getting quite hysterical and doesn't want to touch anything that uses any kind of data with a 10 foot pole.

Essentially the new law makes it really clear that any data which can be used to positively identify a REAL person (not a juristical one) has to be treated with the utmost care and protected, and the need to collect such data has to be evident/make sense for its purpose. So a music player app should not be crawling through your contact list for no reason, just because it can, but a HR payroll app obviously can and needs to collect name, salary, address, date of birth from people to perform its job. Anonymized or aggregated data is fine to process and publish though.

There is an element of over-hysteria and over-reach in this new regulation, especially considering the question just how exactly companies should go about protecting that data and what reasonable measures can be expected, e.g. for smaller companies.

But I can also see the reasoning behind such a draconic regulation and the real need to protect people's data. The alternative shouldn't be the wild west approach of the US with basically zero protection for anyone. It doesn't matter how hardcore dick swinging alpha behind 7 proxies you are, you WILL lose in the war of attrition for privacy against huge corporations. No company has ever any incentive to not just grab all the rights and data for itself that it can, simply because it technically can dictate the terms of engagement.

^^ It seems to me that you didn't watch the video posted. It's NOT about GDPR, it's about new law. (monitoring & filtering of internet uploads)

I will post some articles since only video is posted.

from https://www.techdirt.com/articles/201805...rnet.shtml

Quote:Quote:

Today is GDPR day, and lots of people are waking up to a world in which EU regulations are having a widespread (and not always positive) impact on how the internet works. As we've detailed over the past couple of years, while there are many good ideas in the GDPR, there are also many ridiculously bad ones, combined with poorly thought out drafting, and we're already seeing some of the fallout from that. But, believe it or not, there's an even larger threat from the EU looming, and it's received precious little attention: the EU's new copyright reform proposal is set to be voted on next month and it will truly be disastrous to the internet. As it currently stands, it will require widespread censorship in the form of mandatory filtering and also link taxes that have already been shown to be harmful to news.

European Parliament member Julia Reda is sounding the alarm and asking people to speak out. As she notes, many of the folks now freaking out about the GDPR wish they got involved over two years ago when it was being debated. And if you're concerned about how problematic this new copyright reform will be for the internet, now is the time to speak out (yes, even if you're not in the EU):

On the topic of copyright, you NOW have the chance to have an influence – a chance that will be long lost in two years, when we’ll all be “suddenly” faced with the challenge of having to implement upload filters and the “link tax” – or running into new limits on what we can do using the web services we rely on.

In stark contrast to the GDPR, experts near-unanimously agree that the copyright reform law, as it stands now, is really bad. Where in the case of the GDPR the EU institutions pushed through many changes against the concerted lobbying efforts of big business interests, in the copyright reform they are about to give them exactly what they want.

Parliament and Council have had over a year and a half to fix the glaring flaws of the Commission proposal – but despite their growing complexity, the latest drafts of both institutions fail to meet basic standards of workability and proportionality

Reda's post goes on to detail the many, many problems of the current copyright proposal -- in which merely linking to a news site may require paying money (link tax) and where concerns about how that might negatively impact the entire internet are being woefully ignored. Perhaps even worse is the mandatory filtering idea. The big record labels and movie studios have, of course, been pushing for this kind of thing for years to get back at Google (mainly) and Facebook (a little bit). But, here's the thing: both Google and Facebook already have those filters (and spent tens of millions of dollars on them). This kind of law fucks over everyone else.

And, it's actually even worse than a mandatory filtering rule -- because the EU realized that such a rule would violate other EU laws. So, instead, it decided to hack away at intermediary liability protections to make mandatory filtering necessary:

Make platforms directly liable for all copyright infringements by their users, and then offer that they can avoid that unreasonable liability if they can show they’ve done everything in their power to prevent copyrighted content from appearing online – namely, by deploying upload filters (Article 13, paragraph 4). Which remain totally optional, of course! Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Tragically, the only remaining point of disagreement in Council is whether this proposal is bad enough, or should be made worse.

We've already spent years explaining how this will lead to widespread censorship online, but it will also be a disaster for basically all of the non-Google/Facebook platforms out there. Mid-size companies like Github have already talked about how this could effectively destroy its ability to operate, and lots of other sites would be impacted as well. Any kind of forum site would be at serious risk. Reddit, Pinterest, Twitch, Imgur, Wordpress, Medium, Vimeo. This would create massive liability for all of those sites, making it nearly impossible for many of them to function in the EU.

Reda notes that a new draft could make this situation even worse in noting that even having filters won't be enough to avoid liability:

Mr Voss’ latest draft expands the scope of the censorship machines proposal to all web platforms (a) whose purpose is to “give access to copyrighted content uploaded by users” and which (b) “optimise” that content. What counts as optimising? Among a long list of actions, we find that “displaying” the uploads already makes platforms legally liable for any copyright infringement they may include (Recital 37a).

And in his version, web services can’t even avoid liability by implementing upload filters. To protect themselves from being sued, they would need to get licenses from all rightsholders that exist on the planet before allowing user uploads to go online, just in case the upload may contain (parts of) any of their works.

He also claims that checking every new user upload for whether it includes one of hundreds or thousands of specific copyrighted works somehow does not constitute “general monitoring” (Recital 39), which would be forbidden – now that’s some wishful lawmaking.

As Reda also points out, most of the EU member states appear to be supportive of these horrible ideas (or even pushing to make it worse). What now stands between this horrible law making a mess of the internet is just the EU Parliament which is currently scheduled to vote on this in late June (probably the 20th or 21st). If you are in the EU now is absolutely the time to speak up. If you're outside the EU, it also would help to speak up and let the EU Parliament know that this is a horrible idea that will have significant problems for the wider internet, free speech and innovation.

Quote:Quote:

We've already spent years explaining how this will lead to widespread censorship online, but it will also be a disaster for basically all of the non-Google/Facebook platforms out there. Mid-size companies like Github have already talked about how this could effectively destroy its ability to operate, and lots of other sites would be impacted as well. Any kind of forum site would be at serious risk. Reddit, Pinterest, Twitch, Imgur, Wordpress, Medium, Vimeo. This would create massive liability for all of those sites, making it nearly impossible for many of them to function in the EU.

It's always a little bit sad and a little bit amusing when people mistake government tyranny for government incompetence.

What a coincidence that only the biggest players will be able to operate under these new laws!

Said the man against the wall wearing a blindfold, "if comrade Stalin knew of this he would stop it!"

[Image: laugh4.gif]

The public will judge a man by what he lifts, but those close to him will judge him by what he carries.

Considering Official NASA footage was taken down from Youtube because a news organisation flagged it as being owned by them, the idea of a EU wide content filtering system is frankly insane. Not unexpected though. Always thought the UN would implement it first.

Quote: (05-31-2018 04:51 AM)Leonard D Neubache Wrote:  

It's always a little bit sad and a little bit amusing when people mistake government tyranny for government incompetence.

What a coincidence that only the biggest players will be able to operate under these new laws!

Said the man against the wall wearing a blindfold, "if comrade Stalin knew of this he would stop it!"

[Image: laugh4.gif]

LDN is like the black sheep uncle who says, "Son, the world is fucked and very soon you'll be radioactive fertilizer, well before your time, presumably from some cataclysmic catastrophe, but I have a very humorous way of telling you how it's gonna go down."

At least when we're all about to be turned into crispy bacon - or sent to firing squads - LDN will crack a joke that will make me smile before the end comes.

Born Down Under, but I enjoy Slovakian Thunder: http://slovakia.travel/en/nove-zamky

Here a short vid explaining what it might be about.

The issue might even impact the RVForum as you could not post links to anything - they might even go after copy-paste content and certainly also Youtube videos.

You might have problem posting pictures for WB or WNB - or even link to them.

While I have no doubt the globalist retards will do what they can to censor the internet.

The idea of controlling all the data though...?
Exponentially increasing levels of data at that?

They're rather game to try.

As usual it's just a vast net designed to catch everyone and only keep the fish they want to fry.

So when guys like Roosh end up with EU arrest warrants the papers can say that he's an "international criminal charged with multiple felonies".

Meanwhile everybody willing to remain blindly obedient to the government will be left alone.

The public will judge a man by what he lifts, but those close to him will judge him by what he carries.

Quote: (06-01-2018 08:27 AM)Leonard D Neubache Wrote:  

As usual it's just a vast net designed to catch everyone and only keep the fish they want to fry.
So when guys like Roosh end up with EU arrest warrants the papers can say that he's an "international criminal charged with multiple felonies".
Meanwhile everybody willing to remain blindly obedient to the government will be left alone.

Sure.
Yet thinking about it from a more technical aspect. Every measure has a counter measure.
As you know, as of some time ago, Australians were not supposed to be able to torrent content freely from the big torrent websites.
Yet even without a VPN, I can readily access torrents due to proxies & the like.

Plus, noting the government tendency to implement new IT infrastructure in a retarded manner...

It may be an EU initiative but the US global Corp vampire that is Verizon will take this up to the lobbyists of Congress in no time at all. They put the fear in Google if you didn't know who/what they were.

This is nothing to do with GDPR which is basically Data Protection on roids. I deal with it and essentially you are boned if personal info is phished from you or stolen and there was no plausaible deniability you could have prevented it.

Creating click bots that create fake sites quickly overwhelm the check system with noise

Deus vult!

It's not entirely true they're unrelated.

GDPR doesn't actually specify what constitutes reasonable data protection.... Meaning they can make it up on the fly what is and isn't. This means they can selectively prosecute any website that retains login records.

Such as forums.

Now I wonder (((who))) could be behind Article 15???

Man, the EU is fucked. Everything about Europe seems like it's just going downhill. However, the good news is that the European Union will collapse eventually – it is unsustainable – and the member states will then atomize and nationalize.