rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Music production

Music production

Any of you guys into music production?

Music production

It's pretty much all I think about. What's up?

Music production

I am too. I produce "reggaeton", but soon I'm moving over to the US to work more on hip hop/rap/rnb/pop.

You guys record vocals too or only produce?

Music production

Quote: (09-22-2011 10:26 AM)amistod Wrote:  

It's pretty much all I think about. What's up?

What kind of gear are you using?

Music production

Quote: (09-22-2011 10:37 AM)Pete Wrote:  

I am too. I produce "reggaeton", but soon I'm moving over to the US to work more on hip hop/rap/rnb/pop.

There's a link I can send you for recording Reggaeton vocals. Has the Wisin and Yandel settings. Vocals are stacked/panned maybe 9 deep just on lead. Are you on Gearslutz?

Music production

I'm gonna need one of you Music Prod geeks to lace up some of my videos soon.

PM me if you guys are interested in making some beats for my vids.

Mixx

Music production

Quote: (09-22-2011 10:56 AM)MiXX Wrote:  

I'm gonna need one of you Music Prod geeks to lace up some of my videos soon.

PM me if you guys are interested in making some beats for my vids.

Mixx

What kind of style do you want, Mixx? You prefer original , remix? I think if I remember correctly you are filming in Colombia with some featured whores as the attraction? I would think of the demographic you want to attract, and the flow of the video. Will you be speaking in the video or will it be straight music and video without narration?

Music production

I've been producing my own music for years. I play drums, bass, guitar, and piano and have written hundreds of songs. I write everything from death metal, pop-punk, acoustic/folk, progressive rock epics, piano songs like Billy Joel, alternative, and some jazz/classical inspired pieces. I intermittently record them in my home studio (aka computer in my bedroom). I need some better gear though

Go balls deep

Music production

Quote: (09-22-2011 06:38 PM)DTA Wrote:  

I've been producing my own music for years. I play drums, bass, guitar, and piano and have written hundreds of songs. I write everything from death metal, pop-punk, acoustic/folk, progressive rock epics, piano songs like Billy Joel, alternative, and some jazz/classical inspired pieces. I intermittently record them in my home studio (aka computer in my bedroom). I need some better gear though
Is the space built out or just software?

Music production

I have a pretty small gear set now. I have owned just about everything at one point or another..

I have a ton of Amps/Pedals/Etc

I am DJ'n with Traktor S4 and 2 midi fighter pros.

I make my tunes in Ableton with an Akai APC40 and tons of VSTs. I sold my MPC way back, but I am thinking of getting a NI maschine or Akai MPD to do drums.

Seems like you can't make it as a DJ with out producing tracks.

To avoid legal issues, I would assume Mixx will need originals.

Music production

Quote: (09-23-2011 01:42 PM)amistod Wrote:  

I have a pretty small gear set now. I have owned just about everything at one point or another..

I have a ton of Amps/Pedals/Etc

I am DJ'n with Traktor S4 and 2 midi fighter pros.

I make my tunes in Ableton with an Akai APC40 and tons of VSTs. I sold my MPC way back, but I am thinking of getting a NI maschine or Akai MPD to do drums.

Seems like you can't make it as a DJ with out producing tracks.

To avoid legal issues, I would assume Mixx will need originals.
are you working in session view or arrangement view in ableton?

Music production

It really depends on what I am doing. I use session view to record my loops or midi notes for VST's.

If I am laying out a mix tape or a full song, I use the arrangement view.

Music production

Quote: (09-23-2011 03:47 PM)amistod Wrote:  

It really depends on what I am doing. I use session view to record my loops or midi notes for VST's.

If I am laying out a mix tape or a full song, I use the arrangement view.

Been using ableton for about 8 years now. Sweet program.. What are you interfacing it with. Are you mixing/mastering in the box?

Music production

currently going to school for this shit. using pro tools/reason/ableton/logic/fl studios.

not much gear though

Music production

Quote: (09-25-2011 02:39 AM)Docter Wrote:  

currently going to school for this shit. using pro tools/reason/ableton/logic/fl studios.

not much gear though

Which one do you like the most?

Music production

ive been using reason for about 6 years now,i make mostly dnb,but im heavily influenced by burial right now so im making a lot of minimaly dubsteppish kinda stuff....really into uk funky too and have been dabbling with that tempo/genre for a few months also.
im running a macbook pro,novation 49sl compact keyboard,mackie mr5 monitors and 32 inch screen tv for a secondary screen.
my tunes have been mostly sample based up until recently where i have started recording my own voice and timestretching it and pitching up or down to make it sound more strange.
im going to school next year to study audio engineering so i can start recording the talent-pool of vocalists i seem to have at my disposal and do nothing with yet....

Music production

@Pusscrook

Currently Reason because I'm more familiar with it than the rest.

Pro tools is considered the industry standard. We compare it to a screwdriver - every toolbox has one.

Ableton has been compared to a "collage" and has it's own style of production.

Logic is the one I'm most unfamiliar with, but I get the impression its Apple's version of Pro Tools. You can even use the Pro Tools key commands inside Logic if you want.

Technically, Reason is not a Digital Audio Workstation because of some technical nonsense. Reason 6 will shake things up a bit though.

Ultimately, they all have their own pros, cons, and feel. What are you looking to accomplish?

Music production

I am mixing 'in the box' with an APC 40. I would definitely mix out side if I were making 'serious/professional' stuff. Right now I am trying to make southern style hip hop beats to shop around to local rappers.

I am looking in to getting something with MPC pads soon. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Its between Maschine and the MPD 61 right now.

Music production

Quote: (09-22-2011 10:53 AM)Pusscrook Wrote:  

There's a link I can send you for recording Reggaeton vocals. Has the Wisin and Yandel settings. Vocals are stacked/panned maybe 9 deep just on lead. Are you on Gearslutz?
Sure, thanks ! send 'em over here. [Image: idea.gif] Yeah I'm on gearslutz ! are you? I used to be there 24/7 but I was reading too much, and doing too little.[Image: sleepy.gif] [Image: lol.gif]

What gear do you guys have?

This is my gear list:
interface= steinberg mr816x
pre= gap pre73
mic= at 4047
DAW = fl studio, cubase. (Would love to have protools though, but it's $600)
monitors= m audio bx8a deluxe
headphones= sony mdr7506 dj

In my soon-to-buy list:
1. api lunchbox
2. avedis ma5
3. manley reference cardioid, brauner phanthera or a valvet x pure cardioid.

Music production

@Amistod

I saw the maschine in action and had to quickly change my underwear.

100th post! boogie

Music production

The videos on Maschine look insane. Since the standalone version can run VSTs now.. you can use it as a DAW.

Gear List:

1960's RI Fender Jap Strat
1960's Gretch Tennessean
1990's Gibson "The Paul"

1990's RI Marshall 'Plexi'
1980s Ampeg VT-40
2000's Roland KC-60 - use this as studio monitors

Old MBP - needs replacing

NI - Traktor S4
Akai APC40

Shure SM58

Wetstone IEM's for DJ

Rotation of effects pedals constantly changing

Had tons of synths and keyboards but they are all gone now. Trying to go minimalist. [Image: smile.gif]

Music production

Quote: (09-26-2011 08:17 AM)Pete Wrote:  

Sure, thanks ! send 'em over here. [Image: idea.gif] Yeah I'm on gearslutz ! are you? I used to be there 24/7 but I was reading too much, and doing too little.[Image: sleepy.gif] [Image: lol.gif]

This is my gear list:
pre= gap pre73
mic= at 4047

In my soon-to-buy list:
1. api lunchbox
2. avedis ma5

Hey Pete, trying to post that to you , but the link is dead so I will copy it for you. I got off of gearslutz years back. Too many hotheads.

As far as a gear list, I have a hybrid studio and set mine to maximize analog gear but work within a heavy digital domain .Here is what I work with.

4 apogee symphony I/O's
1. ssl xpatch to incorporate analog gear into the daw.
elyisa alpha compressor /elyisia museq eg. All analog, not the plug in versions.
1. antelope atomic clock. ( at some point you will not want to ever use internal clocks and you will hear a tremendous difference in your effects: reverb , delay.
mics: bock 151-2 bock 141, too many neumanns, sony c-800
8 power conditioners
Monitors: 4 pairs of focals, 2 pairs equator audio .
Boards: access virus synth, roland phantom, motif.
MIc pres. Neve, manley, and empiricals.
Plug-ins: you know the deal on that.

When I copy the post from gear slutz i'll post it for sure. Since you like Reggaeton, fruity loops would be your best bet. You can get an mbox for much cheaper than 600.

Pusscrook

Music production

Why not use Reaper? Personally, I use Ableton Live, but that's mainly because I do live work, and since I'm a solo musician (rock/electronic) I need plenty of backing-instrument control. Reaper costs far less than but is on par with other DAWs.
For Windows users, I recommend varietyofsound.wordpress.com for some sweet free plugins.
Reason/Record isn't a DAW because it doesn't accept outside VSTs, but this has one huge advantage - stability. I recently had a session crash involving Absynth and Live, two programs that are made by popular and well-funded companies. If their interaction produced a crash, anything can. If you don't need outside VSTs, Reason/Record is a good choice.
I hate Logic, mainly because I dislike the interface (keyboard/mouse MIDI note creation/editing is a bitch). Plenty of people like it, though.
I've never tried Pro Tools or Cubase. Renoise is cool if you like tracker-style sequencing, plus it looks "techy" and is fast to work with.
If you're short on space, get some KRK KNS 8400 headphones.

Music production

Quote: (09-26-2011 08:17 AM)Pete Wrote:  

This is my gear list:
pre= gap pre73
mic= at 4047

In my soon-to-buy list:
1. api lunchbox
2. avedis ma5
Hey Pete..... here is the thread on gearslutz for your Reggaeton vocal settings for Wisin and Yandel

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-hip-h...ocals.html

Let me know if you need anything else. I do mostly sound tracks, voice overs , marketing ads, and all forms of electronica.

Good luck,
Pusscrook

Music production

q) why are there no good female producers???

a) because they dont understand logic or reason....lol.