rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Future career?

Future career?

I would like to hear some advices or opinions from you on direction of my work career.

I am 25 from Eastern Europe with worthless bachelor degree. I recently quit job in military, where I served as platoon commander (~20 subordinates) at combat unit. I don´t want to give much details and don´t need comments about it. I don´t have anything against military generally, but I wanted to change unit, which was no chance, even in the future. And I was very unhappy with my life.

I thought, I will just get ordinary office job and live in my home city between bunch of people I like and they like me (ordinary job is not my life´s goal, but I wanted to get some experience in civilian area). I applied for some, but didn´t take up any, because the money isn´t worth working. As I mentioned, I live in Eastern Europe and salaries are worthless. Economy is growing, prices are growing but salaries are as high that average person will barely survive a month. I am that kind of person, who do not waste money on unnecesary things and tries to save in almost every area he can and even though, these money are just for month-to-month living. Better situation would be for me if I was IT guy or something closely specialized, but I am not.
I understand, that I don´t have any specialized skills. On the other hand, I have experience with leading and managing people, working with tons of stress, making what-ever-imaginable-tasks done and I consider myself being able to learn and do whatever. I have basic knowledge from probably all possible areas and know 2 foreign languages.

Currently I earn some money as bouncer in disco club. It´s not that much, but it´s similar to office job and there´s one big difference. I have tons of free time and am able to work on whatever. Now at the beginning, I am also about to get something back from system, since I was contributing every month with social insurance. So now at the beginning, I am able to survive well without need of spending the most of my time in work.

Here are some possible scenarious I think of:

1) Office job
As I mentioned before, it´s not the best way, because of money. More than creating savings, it would cost me my current.

2) Sales job
I am not sales kind of person. I can´t lie, I am not too much talkative and I can´t convince about something I myself don´t believe in. But never say never, I don´t refuse learning new skills.
My best friend is currently starting real estate agency franchize and he offered me I could learn this stuff. But I am very unsure about it, there are many pros but also many cons.

3) Starting own bussiness
This is my dream probably since I found this forum. But realisation is hard and there are many unknown areas for me, because since I was 15 years old, I know only military enviroment (I have even military high school).
I have few projects on my mind, but they are not something very original and competition is high in this areas (I focus on low starting capital stuff):
a) Creating websites - I already run this for few months. It can bring me some small pocket money. I am not IT guy, but I learned or revived some old skills as html, CSS or graphics, so I do low-cost websites for small entrepreneurs. But as I said, it´s just pocket money and it´s time consuming.
b) Marketing - This project I could merge with creating websites. I don´t know much about it, I only know the basic stuff I did for myself (facebook ads, basic SEO,...). But it´s the thing that can be learned by doing. But it would bring me only pocket money too.
c) Event security agency - Providing security personell for cultural or sport events. Big advantage is that I would hire people only for contracts and I know where to find them. Big disadvantage is, that there are already big players in this area.
d) Own fastfood bistro - There are plenty of them in the city centre, but they all offer kebab, pizza or burgers. I would come with something different, I have bagel on my mind. There´s not any bistro with it, nobody except whose who watch HIMYM know it and it could be branded as "true NY bagel or something like that".

4) Going back to forces
Military or police. As I mentioned before, I don´t have so much against military (I have to overlook that 4/5 of our army are bareaucrats) and if good opportunity comes, I could eventually go back. But at this moment, I can´t influence it. Police is something I never liked. But if there weren´t other options, I could try join some better police unit.

5) Oil rigs
I would love to have a chance on working on rig in Norway. I am searching for informations, sending CVs to companies, but I think there´s low chance of getting this gig, since I am not engineer.

6) Travelling
I would like to travel a lot, and I would love some adventure. But at this moment, I don´t see burning all my savings on banging chick in Thailand as good decision. I also will have to repay unfinished contract to army and I want to have few thousands as emergency money. Currently I might have to my name 8-9k USD which is not much, but here in Eastern Europe, it´s more than in US. (20-25% of the money is invested in crypto, but I don´t think I will ever go to red numbers if it didn´t last few weeks). And I have got fiancee here.

6) Ultimate adventure
French foreign legion, military volunteer... whoever knows? But this would mean giving up on life I knew until now. And probably I would choose it, when there´s not other option or future vision of life. Also there´s low possibility of coming back to normal life.

I am thankful for every idea. Thanks to bouncer gig, I have some time to think about it. But I have been thinking for long months and there´s not real outcome. I must say, that until new year, I spend all my free time on developing, studying life and learning new things. I didn´t waste even a minute. But after new year and no visible outcome, I lost the drive. I have so much energy to put into something, but I feel kinda lost and see no opportunity to put effort into. I still have decent income, but the feel of uncertainity and no future is killing me. I also feel like my self-confidence is getting lower and lower.

"Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."

Future career?

Go back to College and Graduate with a useful degree. Fuck EE Girls along the way.

Future career?

Well you've got a military background and some rank. Can't you get a job in a PMC? I hear they make good coin. If you get some lucrative gigs for a few years you can stack cash and return home capitalized.

Future career?

If you're able to live on the money you earn as a bouncer and it affords you lots of free time, it would make the most sense to leverage that free time to create a business.

I'm the King of Beijing!

Future career?

I'm ex-military too. Don't under estimate the value of that experience. Handling pressure, people management, giving clear tasks, all that.

I'd say build on your strengths, focus on what you are good at and sell your time. Make sure your around good people and in an environment that will help you grow.

Don't worry about keeping your time free for your own initiatives, because you have plenty of time to use for that.

I have made the same mistake in the past, but know I realise it's backwards (IMO). A lot of great entrepreneurs worked a 9-5 until their own company was strong enough to fly (like Phil Knight, Nike, or Ray Kroc, Mcdonalds). Maybe I'm wrong)

Future career?

The potential for ex military and police is is pretty massive. It always surprises me that men in these careers don't use their imaginations and broaden their horizons a bit.

PMC work is not as profitable as it used to be , but I recommend pushing ahead with a career in private security. Join the police, move into a reputable unit after a couple of years that gives you reputable skills and you are laughing. Your English is not bad at all, I think just some English lessons to dust up on your grammar and you will be in a good stead.

I know a fair number of police officers and serving military who are working on side businesses. As long as it is above board and lawful, your supervisors don't mind.

Future career?

"I am 25 from Eastern Europe with worthless bachelor degree. " Same, except not from EE. I did some tech sales for 4 years so at least I have that going for me. Great money but a serious grind and a lot of living in a shitty areas for a time. I'm in the same boat as you and trying to figure out my next move in a career. My stipulations are
-comfortable wages / doesn't have to be 100K out the gate but hopefully the opportunity to grow
-not soul sucking / shitty
-ideally in a cool place
Good luck my dude

Future career?

Thanks you for your advices.

PMC always sounded good to me and seemed to be ultimate adventure, so I did my research years ago. But...
- I am not veteran and I don´t have very long profession background. Good companies hire SOF guys with 15 years experience.
I also read about Balkan/similar guys, who bribe some kind of mafia to obtain them false certificates and get them job.
- I would have to spend all my money on courses without certainity of anything.
- Money is actually not as good as everybody thinks.

I spend 5 years in the army, but 3 of that time was university, so my experience at the unit was 2 years (not complete). This doesn´t bring me much advantage as ex-military. I did go through something, my unit was definitely the best in the army from combat-perspective (when not counting SOF). On the other hand, my intention was to spend maximally 6 years at the unit and quit enough young, so I could learn whatever new.
But definitely I am not in position as soldier or police guy, who quit after 10-15 years service.

Doing bouncer gig can feed me and provide money for rent. But mostly I do work only weekends, so it´s not that much. But for the first 3 months I can get unemployment support and together with that gig, it´s quite decent money. So until April, I do have time to figure out what to do.

From long-term own bussiness is something I really desire. I probably couldn´t stand doing slave job for humiliating sallary forever. I have too many examples of this lifestyle around and I would rather go all-in in life, than settling with this and be miserable until retirement. And the most of the job offers are rubbish.
... BUT. I don´t really have experience in civilian world, I don´t have any entrepreneurs around, I don´t have any people around with similar mindset and I probably should find some industry and get practice in it.

But what´s the crucial issue for me now, I don´t know which path to take. I know that nobody else should know it, except me. But I would definitely say I lost the course and I am losing some kind of drive, inner power. I was used to be winning, but last period, I experienced only loses - and I even haven´t started to build something new.

"Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."

Future career?

Yes I wouldn't worry too much about your length of experience though. Quality counts over quantity and your languages can be beneficial.

But yes it doesn't really pay so well anymore. These PMCs seem to be more geared towards intelligence gathering rather than CP stuff.

Future career?

So it have been already 3 months. A lot of didn´t change. I have almost gave up on going through job advertisments. Most of the job interviews ended up being bullshit. I only started to do some manual labour with my friends. Easy job, sometimes we do almost nothing but money is also not very good.

Last job interview I attended was for manager position for big shop chain (actually working as manager of one shop). After second round they offered me to continue in selection prodedure not as manager but deputy manager. So I did second round again, than third round in assesment centre and the accepted me.
Entry money is still too good, much bigger than any other job offers and almost as big as officer in military (it was the same, but there was a raise in military recently).
On one hand, working in shop doesn´t seem to be so attractive to me, but on the other hand, I wouldn´t get this much money anywhere else except military and future career possibilities are good here.

So I guess I should accept it without doubt.
I will try that and I will see.
Another options in my mind is ultimate adventure as armed volunteer/contractor in undisclosed country in Africa. At this moment this seems to be most tempting option for me. Just a little bit more, just do that one step into unknown and throw everything away and do that... Or military, again, of course.

Future career?

Quote: (05-15-2018 11:00 AM)tomzestatlu Wrote:  

If you decide to give the deputy manager job a chance (you can always quit), pay attention to what your boss does. Find out how long he works, what he likes and doesn't like about his job, etc.

I think they hired you as a deputy manager because they saw that you have leadership skills, but also no experience working in a shop. This means they will eventually want to promote you if you do a good job.

If you already find out now that you don't want to work in your boss' job, you can figure out an alternative before it becomes too easy to just take the small pay increase and feel stuck in a job you don't like.

Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

Future career?

@tomzestatlu

Have you thought about coming to america or canada? Lots of work in the oil fields.

Future career?

Quote: (05-16-2018 06:49 AM)BlackFriar Wrote:  

@tomzestatlu

Have you thought about coming to america or canada? Lots of work in the oil fields.

I'm not sure it's that easy to just decide to work in the US?

Future career?

I will definitely accept that offer. They are hiring managers even without experience with shop, but they probably had a reason (anyway, I´m 25, so there´s a lot of space to grow). There´s probably 10% sallary difference between manager and his deputy, so it´s not that much. Before I start to do the work itself, I will go through 6 months training, during which I will master all kind of works being done in the shop and learn manager´s stuff. But from the beginning there´s full sallary (after some periods, there´s rise).
This employer is very progressive in it´s market and it has very good results. This good results reflects in sallaries, which are much higher than anywhere else. In any kind of corporation, I would hardly get at least 70% of this money.

Also, yesterday I got a phone call from army recruiter and we scheduled meeting on tomorrow morning, so I will see what they can offer me.

Oil fields always sounded good to me. But I am from Eastern Europe and I don´t want to move to USA or Canada. 3 months ago I have sent my CV to few oil-rig companies in Norway/UK, but got no response.

Future career?

Quote: (02-09-2018 03:43 AM)Malone Wrote:  

Well you've got a military background and some rank. Can't you get a job in a PMC? I hear they make good coin. If you get some lucrative gigs for a few years you can stack cash and return home capitalized.

Serious paying PMC jobs are very hard to get for guys that did not serve in a first world military. A lot of guys actually will leave their 2nd and 3rd world military branches and go into service for say the French Foreign Legion with the specific goal of completing the 5 year contract then joining a PMC firm or company.

If he was in some highly regarded Special Forces or Special Operations Group with significant combat experience then there are high paying opportunities doing executive security contracting.

OP I did service both in the US and also served in the French Foreign Legion, plus worked as a PMC and still do sometimes. You're welcome to PM me if you have any questions.

Future career?

Quote: (02-10-2018 08:12 AM)Constitution45 Wrote:  

The potential for ex military and police is is pretty massive. It always surprises me that men in these careers don't use their imaginations and broaden their horizons a bit.

PMC work is not as profitable as it used to be , but I recommend pushing ahead with a career in private security. Join the police, move into a reputable unit after a couple of years that gives you reputable skills and you are laughing. Your English is not bad at all, I think just some English lessons to dust up on your grammar and you will be in a good stead.

I know a fair number of police officers and serving military who are working on side businesses. As long as it is above board and lawful, your supervisors don't mind.

That.

Here's something to consider: Admittedly what I'm about to say is strongest inside the US, but in most places being a veteran is a powerful connection to pull. You can very frequently find other veterans using LinkedIN, and get a high response rate.

I've had several opportunities come my way. I openly admit that I hate what I do right now (had to take it to finance a complicated delivery), but simply being a veteran has opened up three opportunities I'm currently in process for. All three of these were ones where the recruiter or military people in the group had my resume and proactively invited me to interview because of my military background.

That's not an advantage anyone otherwise would get. It's sometimes the case here in the states that if the vets see another veteran's resume they'll proactively reach out and touch base ahead of the formal process.

Future career?

Now here's another question for the OP:

Do you have a halfway decent undergrad GPA (at least 3.3) and can you round up at least three good recommendations? If the answer is yes then given your background (liberal arts degree, good general knowledge, outstanding leadership and general management experience) then I would STRONGLY advise you to research attending a full time graduate business program. Doing this will offer you a significant increase in opportunity including access to the highest paying and fast-track office jobs like name brand consulting firms, Rotational Leadership Development Programs (RLDPs) that serve as fast-tracks into executive management, and capital markets jobs.

The number of "good" schools in Europe is smaller and includes prestige schools like INSEAD or IE. Most US schools are also have a quota for international students which will help you out, so some of those can be great opportunities. The other reason to look into this is because it allows you an opportunity to dabble in potential career switches via your classmates, workshops, and coursework to get a better idea where you want to focus.

Look into it and if you want I'm open to have a Skype call or something and give you a rundown of what the typical opportunities are. Should you ever decide that you are serious about doing that I have a few connections I can make for you.

All the areas I mentioned are ones people should think about, even if you think you'll hate it but know you can suck it up and perform well for a year or two. Consulting in particular is great because you get to glimpse into a lot of other people's businesses and glean some lessons from what they right and how they're fucked up.

Future career?

Quote: (05-17-2018 02:14 PM)Easy_C Wrote:  

Now here's another question for the OP:

Do you have a halfway decent undergrad GPA (at least 3.3) and can you round up at least three good recommendations? If the answer is yes then given your background (liberal arts degree, good general knowledge, outstanding leadership and general management experience) then I would STRONGLY advise you to research attending a full time graduate business program. Doing this will offer you a significant increase in opportunity including access to the highest paying and fast-track office jobs like name brand consulting firms, Rotational Leadership Development Programs (RLDPs) that serve as fast-tracks into executive management, and capital markets jobs.

The number of "good" schools in Europe is smaller and includes prestige schools like INSEAD or IE. Most US schools are also have a quota for international students which will help you out, so some of those can be great opportunities. The other reason to look into this is because it allows you an opportunity to dabble in potential career switches via your classmates, workshops, and coursework to get a better idea where you want to focus.

Look into it and if you want I'm open to have a Skype call or something and give you a rundown of what the typical opportunities are. Should you ever decide that you are serious about doing that I have a few connections I can make for you.

All the areas I mentioned are ones people should think about, even if you think you'll hate it but know you can suck it up and perform well for a year or two. Consulting in particular is great because you get to glimpse into a lot of other people's businesses and glean some lessons from what they right and how they're fucked up.
First, thanks you for you answer.
I would say, that school system is much different here. I come from small country in Eastern Europe and almost all the schools are ran by state and for free. There are few private schools, but that´s nothing for me, because I wouldn´t be able to pay for the studium. But what´s the most important about this system and what I see, nobody really cares about your grades (GPA I guess) when you leave the school. All you need is diplom and that´s what employers are looking at, but they never focus on your grades (until some technical sciences? I don´t know). I do have bachelor degree from military university (it´s focused on leadership, management and economics - but honestly, it´s bullsh*t), got that after 3 years of studium.
My current situation is that I can´t afford to stop working full-time.

The most of the terms you mentioned such as "full time graduate bussiness program" are something I´ve never heard about.

So generally I would answer, that I don´t know if these opportunities are possible here. I even don´t know anyone around, who would do that "different way" (something similar you mentioned).

Thanks you

Future career?

OP -- What are you passionate about? What do you like to do when no one else is around? What activities / tasks do you do that you completely lose yourself in...where time seems to simply disappear?

You've laid out many good options and possible directions to take, but they do not take into account what you really care about.

If you are looking for direction rather than simply a short-term gig, you must tap into something which will hold your focus and drive you on.
Education, if it is required for whatever path you choose to take, can come in many different forms and doesn't necessarily require spending a lot of money to sit in lecture halls to get a diploma. You can apprentice with someone, take free online courses in your spare time, go work for free at a company to learn how they operate...and so on.

You may find it valuable to look into Jordan Peterson's Self-Authoring program he has posted online (https://selfauthoring.com/) -- it may offer the kind of answer you are seeking right now.

Future career?

Quote: (05-24-2018 04:38 PM)superiorClimber Wrote:  

OP -- What are you passionate about? What do you like to do when no one else is around? What activities / tasks do you do that you completely lose yourself in...where time seems to simply disappear?

You've laid out many good options and possible directions to take, but they do not take into account what you really care about.

If you are looking for direction rather than simply a short-term gig, you must tap into something which will hold your focus and drive you on.
Education, if it is required for whatever path you choose to take, can come in many different forms and doesn't necessarily require spending a lot of money to sit in lecture halls to get a diploma. You can apprentice with someone, take free online courses in your spare time, go work for free at a company to learn how they operate...and so on.

You may find it valuable to look into Jordan Peterson's Self-Authoring program he has posted online (https://selfauthoring.com/) -- it may offer the kind of answer you are seeking right now.
Lucky people love what they do, but I would say it´s a rare thing.
I am not sure, if I am able to answer your questions. The most of the things I like are related to my military history. I do a lot of sports, love walking in the nature, guns, various outdoor activities (f.e. climbing),... but nothing that could feed me (except military). I like to do this stuff in my free time, but I am not that typical outdoor guy, who does live only by this. I would say I have good knowledge in all possible areas, but there´s nothing I´m expert in.
I can´t say what I am passionate about. I wasn´t passionate even about army. I like all the stuff what´s being done there, but my last job killed everything inside me. Last 5 months I dedicated my sport effort to MMA and this weekend I should have had first fight in public (it won´t happen, because opponent wasn´t found for me). But I can´t say I am passionate about it. I would say that I work hard, but more like because of discipline or rather inner conscience, that forbids me doing nothing during my free time.
Honestly I don´t have any goals or any vision of my life. I entered military life when I was 15 (military high school). I don´t have any vision of profession future, my current struggle leads to earning enough money to live decent life (what is incredibbly difficult in this country when being employed) and pay off debt. Maybe I will enjoy new job.

Future career?

Quote: (02-08-2018 08:42 AM)tomzestatlu Wrote:  

I am 25 from Eastern Europe, I served as platoon commander
You can do all sorts from PMC to PSG as well as corporate in management positions, loads of companies here will fall over themselves to hire a VET although I'm unsure if it's the same in your country? Some will even pay for retraining into whatever you want to do.

If your bouncer gig is bringing in a fair chunk of change while allowing flexibility, keep that up and start a business on the side, juggle both until your own business takes off.

Future career?

So months have passed.

I am currently working at the shop I mentioned. And I must say I am quite happy. It´s not like I love the job and can´t wait to go there everyday, but generally there´s some kind of general satisfaction coming from working there. I´m still going through training process, which will last for another 3-4 months. Sallary is decent and even though this work requires sometimes a lot of time and always a lot of struggle, it´s still worth the money you can make (it won´t make you super rich, but provides you with decent lifestyle in this country and it´s quite high above country´s average). But I hate working weekends.

Just when I left the military, I applied to join again. My purpose was just to leave to rejoin to different unit. It took 9 months for army to decide about my potential coming back. A week ago, I finally recieved invitation to recruitment process, after my request was lying for a months on some department worker´s desk. I could start working by new year. I don´t have a clue which entity I would be part of, but I guess it would be the same entity as before (just different unit), because they have personall priority before the rest of military (a lot of people is leaving because of toxic environment and the locations of units are also very non-atractive).
There´s a new combat unit under SF commands, which is quite cool, but not the most hardcore SF (it´s purpose is more like support). They are building it from the scratch and I have friends there, who say it´s really good there. That´s the unit I´m interested in. I wanted to attend personal selection, which was week ago, but I couldn´t because my request was lying one someone´s table.
Sallary in military would be quite similar or a little bit higher (as officer) in comparison to shop.

I love military, I was in this environment since I have been 15, but maybe that´s why I´m a little bit burned out about the environment. It can be awesome, but it can be soul-sucking. It depends who you meet on your journey.
On the other hand, there wasn´t anything else in my CV, which could be problem at the future. Now I managed to start totally new life. I had some savings and no clue what to do in my life. But if I go back to military, my CV would still suck and I would be forced to struggle again after some years and it could be much worse, if I would have family and so on.
So staying in current job and getting experiences as manager and learning new things for at least some years seems to be very logical.
Anyway I have to pay to the army money for contract, that I signed for getting a degree. It´s not negligible money, but I can handle it and still I am able to save.

So I guess I´m refusing offer from the military and working my path in normal life. I can request to join whenever. But leaving only civilian job I ever had after 6 months is probably not good decision, when it comes to thinking about future (and when I am quite satisfied at the job).