rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Spanish Learning Tips?

Spanish Learning Tips?

Any language learning tips guys? I know there are plenty of things on the web but wanted to hear from this group also.

Spanish specifically.

Spanish Learning Tips?

There are extensive threads on learning Spanish and other languages if you search.

Spanish Learning Tips?

Depends on what your background in the language is. I have probably intermediate Spanish, but I'm pretty rusty. I've been using Duolingo which is really helping to refresh my knowledge.

Also paid for tinder plus for $10 a month so I can change my location to Spanish speaking countries. I've been talking to lots of girls in Peru and it's great. Free language practice. I get them on Whatsapp and then just chit chat about whatever, I don't worry about flirting too much or anything. I use google translate when I need it.

Also, watching some Spanish speaking shows on Netflix. I installed a google chrome app I think it is literally called "subtitles for netflix". It allows me to put two different language subtitles on the screen so I normally run spanish subs on the top and english on the bottom. Focus on listening first, glance at the spanish subs if you need them, then the english subs last. Sometimes you might need to pause the stream occasionally to have time to read both. Some shows I recommend are Club de Cuervos, and Casa de Papel.

This is an intermediate approach however and wouldn't be the best if you were just starting from scratch.

Spanish Learning Tips?

Quote: (02-07-2018 07:25 PM)SkillzMilloy Wrote:  

Any language learning tips guys? I know there are plenty of things on the web but wanted to hear from this group also.

Spanish specifically.

If you're already based out of the US which your profile indicates, best to take some community college classes at night.

I'm more of a visual learner who needs the who, what, when, where, & why. Beats the hell out of shortcut learning.

You can always look up nouns, but verb conjugations & grammar connect things, thoughts, and actions.

Spanish Learning Tips?

Quote: (02-07-2018 07:27 PM)Sidney Crosby Wrote:  

There are extensive threads on learning Spanish and other languages if you search.

I searched it and couldn't find any with that title, can you link a few?

Spanish Learning Tips?

Quote: (02-07-2018 07:49 PM)WhatTheFuck Wrote:  

Depends on what your background in the language is. I have probably intermediate Spanish, but I'm pretty rusty. I've been using Duolingo which is really helping to refresh my knowledge.

Also paid for tinder plus for $10 a month so I can change my location to Spanish speaking countries. I've been talking to lots of girls in Peru and it's great. Free language practice. I get them on Whatsapp and then just chit chat about whatever, I don't worry about flirting too much or anything. I use google translate when I need it.

Also, watching some Spanish speaking shows on Netflix. I installed a google chrome app I think it is literally called "subtitles for netflix". It allows me to put two different language subtitles on the screen so I normally run spanish subs on the top and english on the bottom. Focus on listening first, glance at the spanish subs if you need them, then the english subs last. Sometimes you might need to pause the stream occasionally to have time to read both. Some shows I recommend are Club de Cuervos, and Casa de Papel.

This is an intermediate approach however and wouldn't be the best if you were just starting from scratch.

Tinder Plus - is it worth the $? Lots of South American countries using it?

Thanks for the netflix idea.

Spanish Learning Tips?

Quote: (02-07-2018 08:24 PM)SkillzMilloy Wrote:  

It is for me when you consider the cost of one on one language lessons/practice. It pays for itself fairly quickly. I threw up three pretty basic pictures nothing special and set my location to Lima, Peru, city of 9 million people.. I swiped maybe 20 girls a day for a week. Ended up with 40 or so matches while also using a boost. I stopped swiping because I have enough matches for my purposes but I'm sure my next bunch of right swipes would all be instant matches at this point. Most respond and some even message me first. Really easy to get a bunch who are willing to keep a conversation going for a while. Some of these girls I've exchanged hundred of messages with.

Spanish Learning Tips?

Quote: (02-07-2018 08:34 PM)WhatTheFuck Wrote:  

Quote: (02-07-2018 08:24 PM)SkillzMilloy Wrote:  

It is for me when you consider the cost of one on one language lessons/practice. It pays for itself fairly quickly. I threw up three pretty basic pictures nothing special and set my location to Lima, Peru, city of 9 million people.. I swiped maybe 20 girls a day for a week. Ended up with 40 or so matches while also using a boost. I stopped swiping because I have enough matches for my purposes but I'm sure my next bunch of right swipes would all be instant matches at this point. Most respond and some even message me first. Really easy to get a bunch who are willing to keep a conversation going for a while. Some of these girls I've exchanged hundred of messages with.

Great tip. Are there any other apps like this that you're aware of or tinder seems to be the best?

I wonder, let's say you match your 40 women - when you stop paying for the tender plus - do you lose those matches or since you already got them, you save them?

On second thought, tinder seems better than all these websites like LatinAmericanCupid which they want like $30 a month for.

Spanish Learning Tips?

If the original poster is too lazy to search for the many lengthy threads on this forum about learning Spanish and post there (or better yet, read them first), then he's probably a lazy person -- far too lazy to implement any of the tips given so far in this thread.

Spanish Learning Tips?

OP, if you have a short time line, I would focus your time on learning basic phrases and interactions. The Quick and Dirty Guide to Learning Languages Fast and Benny Lewis' Language Hacking Spanish are as good as any to help focus on some more immediate things. From there, you want to develop scripts that you think you will need for work, game, travel, etc. Then, get a teacher from a website like italki from the country you will visit so you can ask them questions and get the write slang or words. Recognize that each country may have different words to describe something. Then, you just have conversations with them over these things. You want to memorize them where you have that command to use them without thinking. If you have extra time, you can supplement this by learning extra action words and avoiding passive words and using flash cards with an anki deck or something like memrize to practice these words.

Now, if you are serious about learning Spanish for fluency, and can dedicate a couple of years to doing so, as others have said, check out the other threads. I would personally recommend getting a lot of reading input with say dual language books to start and then look at other sources like say LingQ where you also have audio recordings.

Spanish Learning Tips?

Quote: (02-07-2018 09:34 PM)ElFlaco Wrote:  

If the original poster is too lazy to search for the many lengthy threads on this forum about learning Spanish and post there (or better yet, read them first), then he's probably a lazy person -- far too lazy to implement any of the tips given so far in this thread.

Haha. I did search. I already have multiple tips in this thread that I didn't see in my search. I'm far from lazy, I'm a doctor with a top 1% income in the US. You are a quick to judge but far from wise.

Spanish Learning Tips?

Quote: (02-07-2018 09:57 PM)TIOT12 Wrote:  

OP, if you have a short time line, I would focus your time on learning basic phrases and interactions. The Quick and Dirty Guide to Learning Languages Fast and Benny Lewis' Language Hacking Spanish are as good as any to help focus on some more immediate things. From there, you want to develop scripts that you think you will need for work, game, travel, etc. Then, get a teacher from a website like italki from the country you will visit so you can ask them questions and get the write slang or words. Recognize that each country may have different words to describe something. Then, you just have conversations with them over these things. You want to memorize them where you have that command to use them without thinking. If you have extra time, you can supplement this by learning extra action words and avoiding passive words and using flash cards with an anki deck or something like memrize to practice these words.

Now, if you are serious about learning Spanish for fluency, and can dedicate a couple of years to doing so, as others have said, check out the other threads. I would personally recommend getting a lot of reading input with say dual language books to start and then look at other sources like say LingQ where you also have audio recordings.

Thanks for being helpful rather than a critic. Much appreciated!

Spanish Learning Tips?

Quote: (02-07-2018 11:29 PM)SkillzMilloy Wrote:  

Haha. I did search. I already have multiple tips in this thread that I didn't see in my search. I'm far from lazy, I'm a doctor with a top 1% income in the US. You are a quick to judge but far from wise.

The protocol here is to add to an existing thread if the topic is the same or very similar. "Spanish Learning Tips?" is not a new topic on the forum, not even close. Here's a useful one with links to the others: Drix's Spanish Language.

But since I'm a charitable guy, here's a vocabulary tip to get you started:
Huevón = lazy, lazy ass (México, slang). Example: No seas huevón, pendejo. El foro ya tiene un chingo de hilos acerca de este tema.

Spanish Learning Tips?

thread-22954.html

Spanish Learning Tips?

Quote: (02-08-2018 09:00 AM)Dulceácido Wrote:  

thread-22954.html

Thanks.

Spanish Learning Tips?

Quote: (02-08-2018 08:51 AM)ElFlaco Wrote:  

The protocol here is to add to an existing thread if the topic is the same or very similar. "Spanish Learning Tips?" is not a new topic on the forum, not even close.

Huevón = lazy, lazy ass (México, slang). Example: No seas huevón, pendejo. El foro ya tiene un chingo de hilos acerca de este tema.

jaja, you're a funny guy. Thanks.

Spanish Learning Tips?

Quote: (02-08-2018 08:51 AM)ElFlaco Wrote:  

The protocol here is to add to an existing thread if the topic is the same or very similar. "Spanish Learning Tips?" is not a new topic on the forum, not even close. Here's a useful one with links to the others: Drix's Spanish Language.

Dude, that was funny as shit.

Spanish Learning Tips?

Thanks for the netflix chrome extension tip, great for toggling between subtitles depending on how complex the dialogue is.

Also, you can search by audio in Netflix, so you can watch your favorite American shows and movies dubbed into Spanish - easy way to rewatch stuff that you already know the plot to.

Spanish Learning Tips?

Quote:Arado Wrote:

Also, you can search by audio in Netflix, so you can watch your favorite American shows and movies dubbed into Spanish - easy way to rewatch stuff that you already know the plot to.

That's like masturbating into a condom.

Dubbing lacks authentic-sounding intonation and vocabulary, plus you're missing the chance to learn the culture and the acting is sub par. Netflix has native Spanish offerings. You can always rewind, rewatch or look up on the web if you aren't getting the gist.

Spanish Learning Tips?

Quote: (02-11-2018 10:44 AM)ElFlaco Wrote:  

Quote:Arado Wrote:

That's like masturbating into a condom.

Dubbing lacks authentic-sounding intonation and vocabulary, plus you're missing the chance to learn the culture and the acting is sub par. Netflix has native Spanish offerings. You can always rewind, rewatch or look up on the web if you aren't getting the gist.

This is an intermediate step if you want to watch something you already know the plot to and/or just really enjoy watching. If you are going to binge watch a show on Netflix, at least get productivity out of it by beefing up your Spanish comprehension at the same time. Everyone has a different learning style though so it may not work for everyone. Obviously the native language stuff is better in terms of cultural comprehension and accent but let's be honest - the vast majority of Spanish language programming is usually some type of drug related or telenovela type show, so the dubbing helps you expand beyond that.

Spanish Learning Tips?

Also does anyone have recommendations on Latino movies or actors or T.V. shows for good game examples? (Alot of players point to Californication or James Bond, etc for good game examples from English movies.)