rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Watches

Watches

Anyone know where to get a nice watch like a Tag Heuer or Omega for under 1000$?

Watches

From someone who's got one and needs the cash, I wouldn't fuck with e-bay, lot's of scammers on craigslist, but if you can take it to a legit jewler to get checked out, that may be cool. Otherwise maybe a pawn shop that isn't super shady.

You'll have a much easier time finding a Tag Heuer for that price, I even believe some of their low-end models cost like $1,500 new, so if you're a good bargainer you may want to try Torneau and negotiate a good price. Also, if you have a watch to trade in, I know Tourneau will often work with you on that.

Personally, I rock an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean, and I love it. Omega kicks Tag Heuer's ass IMHO. I bought my watch brand new from Torneau and while I was able to negotiate about $900 off the sticker price, I still paid a pretty penny.

Watches

the first step is to figure out what you want. once you get that figured out start doing some homework online about pricing. lots of times if you walk into a jewelry shop, look at a watch, and ask "is that the best price you can give me" they will knock a decent chunk off.

Watches

I feel like watches are different than say, a nice pair of boots or shoes. You can tell high quality leather/craftsmanship from crappy shoes.

Watches on the other hand, you can get a fantastic looking brand watch, something German rather than Swiss, and nobody will know the difference. Certainly not girls, unless they're serious gold diggers (and I suppose everyone has heard of Tag Heuer).

I like Stuhrling skeleton watches a lot. Their nicest looking ones you can shop around online for 200-300 bucks.

Watches

Get a nice Movado as a dress watch and two other casual watches. One with a black leather band and one with brown to match your belt and shoes.

The Tags are nice but heavy and bulky for everyday use in my opinion.

Team Nachos

Watches

China has unbelievable fakes!!

Watches

Quote: (09-15-2011 03:34 PM)_DC_ Wrote:  

I feel like watches are different than say, a nice pair of boots or shoes. You can tell high quality leather/craftsmanship from crappy shoes.

Watches on the other hand, you can get a fantastic looking brand watch, something German rather than Swiss, and nobody will know the difference. Certainly not girls, unless they're serious gold diggers (and I suppose everyone has heard of Tag Heuer).

I like Stuhrling skeleton watches a lot. Their nicest looking ones you can shop around online for 200-300 bucks.

That's why I'd much sooner drop serious cash on nice shoes or suits - once you strip away the name, nice watches aren't really demonstrably better looking than cheaper ones. Plus, swing your arm the wrong way, nick your watch, and it just lost hundreds of dollars in value. And if it's the name you're after, there are very convincing fakes if you know where to look (from China, not your local street vendor).

That's also why there are fake watches but not fake high end men's shoes or suits. Shoes and suits involve real craft and expensive materials that aren't easily duplicated, unlike watches. Some guys feel like they are fake by wearing a fake watch, whatever. But on a purely pound for pound basis, your money is best spent elsewhere, on clothes, furniture, language lessons, traveling, etc.

Watches

Quote: (09-15-2011 03:44 PM)basilransom Wrote:  

Quote: (09-15-2011 03:34 PM)_DC_ Wrote:  

That's why I'd much sooner drop serious cash on nice shoes or suits - once you strip away the name, nice watches aren't really demonstrably better looking than cheaper ones. Plus, swing your arm the wrong way, nick your watch, and it just lost hundreds of dollars in value. And if it's the name you're after, there are very convincing fakes if you know where to look (from China, not your local street vendor).

That's also why there are fake watches but not fake high end men's shoes or suits. Shoes and suits involve real craft and expensive materials that aren't easily duplicated, unlike watches. Some guys feel like they are fake by wearing a fake watch, whatever. But on a purely pound for pound basis, your money is best spent elsewhere, on clothes, furniture, language lessons, traveling, etc.

Absolutely agree.

Same reason I buy Mark Nason shoes/boots, but am not stupid enough to pay 100 for a t-shirt or 1000 for a watch. Like you said, take the name away and the product is the same (no extra quality with the extra money).

Watches

i wouldnt say watches are a waste of money, but i wouldnt go blow 5k on a rolex if you are just getting started financially. i dropped about 2k on a watch i absolutely loved almost 10 years ago and have worn it pretty much every day since and if you told me i still had it 20 years from now i wouldnt at all be surprised. heck, i've accumulated an incredibly amount of crap over the last 10 years, 80% of which i dont need, but that watch was one of the purchases i'm glad i made.

Watches

I like the classic look of German watchmakers.

I've been eyeing the Sinn 556. I like its understated look. It's priced under $1000 to boot.

Watches

Quote: (09-15-2011 05:09 PM)Brian Wrote:  

i wouldnt say watches are a waste of money, but i wouldnt go blow 5k on a rolex if you are just getting started financially. i dropped about 2k on a watch i absolutely loved almost 10 years ago and have worn it pretty much every day since and if you told me i still had it 20 years from now i wouldnt at all be surprised. heck, i've accumulated an incredibly amount of crap over the last 10 years, 80% of which i dont need, but that watch was one of the purchases i'm glad i made.

Exactly. A nice watch is an investment, it's something that you plan on wearing for decades to come, get a dope one and take good care of it. A lot of brands like Rolex and to a lesser extent (Breitling, Omega) hold their values relatively well (if kept in good condition).

I don't agree that knock offs or cheaper nice watch looks a likes, are more or less the same thing. Maybe if you don't know jack shit about watches, or you've never seen a quality time piece in your life, you wouldn't know the difference (which includes a lot of young girls). But, the weight, detail, quality, crystal on the bezel, etc. are very evident between the real deal and the knock offs.

I agree if you've only got $10,000 in savings you'd be a fool to spend $2,000-6,000 on a Breitling or Omega. But if you've got some skrill stacked up, that much isn't going to to affect your ability to buy groceries, pay rent, the electric bill, etc.

Treat yourself, don't cheat yourself.

Watches

I seriously advice against buying Chinese fakes or any of the other fake brands that are actually made over there. Really bad quality and you can throw it away soon afterwards.

Swiss watches are the way to go and they don't have to be that expensive. There are good ones by Mido, Tissot or Longines for less or about 1000 EUR. Sinn is a good German watchmaker, as cool said, also recommendable. For the quality 1000 EUR is reasonable. I don't know whether chicks really know what any of those brands means (even if you sport an Omega or Hublot) but I got quite a number of compliments from girls on my Longines HydroConquest. However, they don't really notice it too much upon meeting but usually later when you hold them in your arms or so (and then you can show off what a sophisticated man you are by talking a bit about quality watches etc). A Rolex might be a different story. But unless you are at least 50, don't buy a Rolex. It's looks just ridiculous on 20somethings (especially if gold).

Watches

I've always liked and done well with the citizen eco-drive watches. No batteries to worry about, perpetual calendar, and they look really nice for $400.

I don't know any women who are able to identify a high-end watch like Tag or Omega. The exception being Movado because of the distinct look.

Watches

I've got a Movado Bold Chrono and it looks amazing. Everybody compliments it. And it only cost me $500

I've seen Tag Heuers in Costco for about $600-700. So if you're a costco member definitely check it out.

I also got a nooka zen glo and it also gets me compliments very often.

Watches

nice

Watches

Quote: (09-16-2011 09:00 AM)mofo Wrote:  

Here is my favourite watch:

[Image: breitling_mulliner_tourbillon.jpg]

Word, that shit is fly.

Watches

I have a Nautica watch that always get compliments but it's scraped up and dinged up bad. Is there any way to get it looking brand new again?

Watches

Quote: (09-20-2011 12:23 AM)houston Wrote:  

I have a Nautica watch that always get compliments but it's scraped up and dinged up bad. Is there any way to get it looking brand new again?

They can buff out and polish anything at a jewelry store.

Team Nachos

Watches

Any idea how much it will cost? The watch was only $100.

Watches

Please post some pics guys. I'm looking for a new watch myself [Image: smile.gif]

[Image: thumb_thisthreadisworthlesswithoutp.gif]

Team Nachos

Watches

I've always liked this one, and have gotten many compliments on it. Picture doesn't do the sheen on the blue hands justice at all.

[Image: 81VVDwgCTYL._AA1500_.jpg]

It's also much cheaper now than it was. I believe I got it a year or so ago for 250.

The Breitling above I can't find for less than $8,000... shame because I agree its a great looking watch.

Also, I think its important to get a good band. If you buy a $200+ watch, but nothing too expensive, getting a nice real croc band is a great upgrade.

Watches

I dig the blue hands on the silver face.^^

Team Nachos

Watches

Quote: (09-21-2011 04:57 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

I dig the blue hands on the silver face.^^

Like I said, still photo doesn't do it justice. Here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/m...nt_fb_link

I'm probably due for a new watch myself.

Watches

Check out this one:

Rougois Hand Wind Decorated Skeleton Movement Watch RMS33S

[Image: 51IA6yn0OsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

Team Nachos

Watches

[Image: attachment.jpg3153]   The watch I mentioned above.