rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Allocation for Crypto Portfolio

I’d like to discuss users’ allocations for their crypto portfolios.

Mine is way too heavily skewed towards Bitcoin. It was the first coin I invested in and so DCA’d into it for a while with good success. I am still bullish on BTC but want to diversify. I’ve had good luck so far with picking good alt coins but didn’t put enough into them. For example, I bought Ripple last weekend and its price exploded. Yet I only had like $60 in it.

I’m considering selling off some BTC to get some more alt coins, but don’t know what a good balance is. Perhaps an 80/20 approach, with 80% in BTC, BCH, and ETH, with the other 20% in alts. Would like your guys feedback!

Also feel free to post your portfolios to solicit feedback as well. Mine is below. Amounts are hidden but the total is in the low 5 figures.

[Image: attachment.jpg38132]   

Is there an option in the app to hide your balance?

For Blockfolio, yes. Click the three dots in the upper right hand corner, then click ‘Hide Balances’.

I wouldn't sell Bitcoin to buy another coin. If there's one common mistake I see on Reddit and /biz/, it's people who sold Bitcoin/Litecoin to buy alts, and then got to see Bitcoin/Litecoin go up at a faster rate. I'd just start putting money gradually into other coins you want.

Quote: (12-13-2017 08:39 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

I wouldn't sell Bitcoin to buy another coin. If there's one common mistake I see on Reddit and /biz/, it's people who sold Bitcoin/Litecoin to buy alts, and then got to see Bitcoin/Litecoin go up at a faster rate. I'd just start putting money gradually into other coins you want.

Thanks, Roosh. I’m trying to build up a bit of a cash pile and don’t want to dive into alt trading so that’s my reservation. That said in a couple months, maybe sooner, I’ll put another grand or two into crypto, at least half in alt coins. The only problem is these coins can go up rapidly in a few days, so waiting a few months is giving up a lot of potential gains.

Quote:Quote:

The only problem is these coins can go up rapidly in a few days, so waiting a few months is giving up a lot of potential gains.

Alt coins are like women... you may miss this one, but several more will come along. I can only image how many alt coins are currently being planned that will supplant the "hot" coins people are talking about today.

I'm building my portfolio with the big coins first before diving into the alts.

Great strategy.

Base your core investments on the main coins then invest some in the alt coins. Trust me on that unless you know a homerun type of ICO (the ZRX and Kybers of the world.)

When bitcoin goes on another run alts will suffer again so it’s good to hedge your bets. Start with BTC and LTC (or top 10 coin) and then get into some alts of your choosing.

Trying to learn here but don't you still need to buy btc first and then transfer that to an exchange to buy alt-coins anyway?
In other words, there's no way to use fiat currency to purchase alt-coins directly, so at the end of the day how to put money directly into other coins otherwise?

Pretty sick app, thanks for posting it.

You can use Eth to buy most alt-coins as well. It's cheaper and quicker to transfer between exchanges as well.

Quote: (12-14-2017 12:23 AM)randomA Wrote:  

Trying to learn here but don't you still need to buy btc first and then transfer that to an exchange to buy alt-coins anyway?
In other words, there's no way to use fiat currency to purchase alt-coins directly, so at the end of the day how to put money directly into other coins otherwise?

Yes, but we're talking about holding long-term, not making short-term exchanges.

I have too many for Blockfolio to report. It would be good if they had a text output.

Holdings (as percentage of USD value):

OMG - 18.3%
EOS - 13.2%
EDO - 13.1%
BTC - 12%
DATA - 9.4%
AVT - 8.4%
IOT - 8.1%
QTUM - 5.6%
SAN - 1.9%
PAY - 1.7%
REP - 1.1%
BAT - 1%
ETP - 1%
GNT 0.9%
POWR - 0.9%
ZEC - 0.8%
ARK - 0.7%
DASH - 0.5%
XRP - 0.4%
CVC - 0.4%
GNO - 0.4%
ANT - 0.3%
XMR - 0.2%
MAID - 0.1%
LSK - 0.01%
SNT - 0.05%

My recommendation is to look for ones that have a solid set, like a good product, team and most importantly buzz. A lot of coins are getting pumped. I'm buying coins that have been relatively flat over the last few months, which are increasingly few and waiting for the pump. I also buy anything that Bitfinex add after the initial sell off and crater.

OMG has been relatively flat of late (up until yesterday) and is around a top 20 coin, so that is one I loaded up more on. QTUM is also in that same category. EDO is one I am expecting to make major gains in the next 1-2 months if the market continues behaving as is. AVT is another as well as DATA, though that has just had a good pump, I expect more.

Right now I am struggling to identify the next best buys beyond these as so many coins have been pumped it's tough to see which will get pumped next. Though one theme is coins near the top of the top 100 are more likely to get pumped, so with my next buys I am going to go for some in the 30-50 region.

BTC-30%
ETH-25%
XMR-20%
XRB-15%
ARK-10%

BTC 69.9%
ETH 10.4%
LTC 7.1%
NEO 6.2%
XMR 6.2%

Looking to add Stellar Lumens (XLM) and possibly Cardano ADA to my portfolio (again, made some profit off both the other day). Waiting for them to drop a little again, ADA in particularly was heavily pumped. It also seems to be in the very early stages of development.

As far as portfolio apps go I can recommend Delta. I already like it better than Blockfolio and if they keep up the new feature pace it will be overall better soon. Showing portfolio percentages is supposed to be one of the next features early next year, along with a desktop app, syncing and import/export.