rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

AOL Instant Messenger Shutdown on 12/15/2017

[Image: sub-buzz-31634-1507300359-7.jpg]

I gradually stopped using AIM back in 2006 when I got my first cell phone, but for some reason, this shutdown has me saddened by the news.

AIM was a huge part of my preteen and adolescent years. I was massively dorky and apprehensive about approaching girls I liked, so this was obviously the first tech crunch that allowed me to have distant friendships with girls. Surprisingly, I landed a few of my first girlfriends over AIM on the sheer basis we were both too insecure to talk to each other in real life.

Not to mention, going into the "personals" chat rooms to ask what were most likely old ugly dudes A/S/L?

I even recall a few adults using AOL to meet other people in the early 90s when the quality of the userbase was higher.

Regardless, the internet back in the 90s and early 2000s wasn't the cesspool of trash that it was today. Cell phones could only call and maybe text and AIM filled a void to continue conversations with friends once school ended.

For the nostalagic:

I remember flirting with bitches on MSN and Microsoft chat. Before texting you'd get their MSM handle and flirt/sext. Had my first experiences with crazy attention sluts just a pity its not that easy anymore.

Then they shut them down because pedos were getting easy access. Didn't stop facebook though!

A/S/L?

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Quote: (12-08-2017 02:08 PM)Cr33pin Wrote:  

A/S/L?

26 / Yes please / Australia

Likes denote appreciation, not necessarily agreement |Stay Anonymous Online Datasheet| Unmissable video on Free Speech

I remember using ICQ, as well. Is that one still around?

Didn't realise AIM was still a thing.

Takes me back to the days of first using the Internet, 15 years ago. Didn't really use it, though. I preferred MSN.

"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilised community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others...in the part which merely concerns himself, his independence is, of right, absolute." - John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

When I was 14, I used to use IRC to jerk off in the lesbian chat rooms. My name was SexyLily and I would always have "cyber sex" with Caroline01.

I felt like a goddamn king.

One day I told my buddy on the school bus about how I am fooling all these bitches and he got all excited and said "Me too bro, my name on there is Caroline01"

And so it goes.

Quote: (12-08-2017 07:00 PM)LINUX Wrote:  

When I was 14, I used to use IRC to jerk off in the lesbian chat rooms. My name was SexyLily and I would always have "cyber sex" with Caroline01.

One day I told my buddy on the school bus about how I am fooling all these bitches and he got all excited and said "Me too bro, my name on there is Caroline01"

And so it goes.

[Image: lol.gif]

"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilised community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others...in the part which merely concerns himself, his independence is, of right, absolute." - John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

I thought it shut down a couple of years ago.

And so it goes.

I hope this is true. Gives me faith in humanity.

My primary email address is still on aol. It gets made fun of all the time. I've had it since probably 1997. I could write a book on ridiculous spam mail.

And so it goes.

Hey now, no need to dox me bro.

"A stripper last night brought up "Rich Dad Poor Dad" when I mentioned, "Think and Grow Rich""

I use to use ICQ.... i cant believe they are still around after doing a Google!!

Quote: (12-08-2017 06:31 PM)TigerMandingo Wrote:  

I remember when AOL bought them and Winamp (I still use Winamp)

"A happy man is a happy everybody else in his life."

"Ladies if you want to make your man happy, think about what makes you happy and do exactly the opposite."

"Hey how you doin' and I hope you know that I'm an upgrade for your stupid daughter." - Patrice O'Neal

Quote: (12-08-2017 10:03 PM)IveBeenFramed Wrote:  

WINAMP!!

We suffer more in our own minds than we do in reality.
-Seneca

So many memories in this thread.

I'm the King of Beijing!

Quote: (12-08-2017 10:24 PM)Buck Wild Wrote:  

WINAMP!!

It really whips the llama's ass.

"Ladies if you want to make your man happy, think about what makes you happy and do exactly the opposite."

"Hey how you doin' and I hope you know that I'm an upgrade for your stupid daughter." - Patrice O'Neal

I never used AOL but I was a dedicated user of MSN messenger. Fuck, that was the main reason anyone I knew back then even had a hotmail email account. I was able to score a few bangs in the pre-cell phone era using social circle game to get to know a girl socially then get her email, add her to messenger and flirt with her online.

Ah, nostalgia.

Quote: (12-08-2017 10:40 PM)IveBeenFramed Wrote:  

Quote: (12-08-2017 10:24 PM)Buck Wild Wrote:  

WINAMP!!

It really whips the llama's ass.

Winamp, home of most of my tracks downloaded off Limewire. Ah, the memories...

Remissas, discite, vivet.
God save us from people who mean well. -storm

I still use Winamp, ’cause I still haven’t found a suitable replacement...

“As long as you are going to be thinking anyway, think big.” - Donald J. Trump

"I don't get all the women I want, I get all the women who want me." - David Lee Roth

Quote: (12-09-2017 03:19 AM)Mr. D Wrote:  

As long as I'm able to install Winamp and its associated plugins, that's what I'll use.

Ah AIM memories! I had totally forgotten about those times!

After a bit of searching around, I can't find a download link for AIM for Mac. Anybody got one? Was gonna fish around in there one last time.

Quote: (12-09-2017 03:19 AM)Mr. D Wrote:  

If you haven't yet you could try AIMP, I switched some five years ago and never looked back, smaller memory footprint, and great playlist where things that initially got me to try it.

I actually lost my virginity to a girl I met in an AOL chatroom

Shit used to be fire for meeting girls!

Resident Germany Expert. See my Datasheet:
thread-59335.html

Mini Datasheets: Antwerp / Rotterdam / Lille

How far we've come.

Dreams are like horses; they run wild on the earth. Catch one and ride it. Throw a leg over and ride it for all its worth.
Psalm 25:7
https://youtu.be/vHVoMCH10Wk

Yahoo messenger for me.

And Musicmatch Jukebox for mp3s. You could tag your mp3s not just with genre but with tempo and have auto generated playlists that would give you new ideas for what songs went together.

“The greatest burden a child must bear is the unlived life of its parents.”

Carl Jung