rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Malcolm Young of AC/DC dies at age 64

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/m...64-w512164

He was the rhythm guitarist and co-founder of ACDC. He died of dementia which he was suffering from for 3 years.

Much respect here for an artist who toiled his entire career in the shadow of his more flamboyant brother. AC/DC have always shared writing credits, so it's hard to know just which riffs Malcolm came up with, but I think it's safe to say the man made a massive contribution and gave a lot of pleasure to fans of hard rock.

Dementia is a cruel disease.

RIP.

He said he didn't want to be lead guitarist because it would interfere with his drinking.

RIP.

"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilised community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others...in the part which merely concerns himself, his independence is, of right, absolute." - John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

[Image: 0MUTpR5.jpg]

George Young and Malcolm Young dying within a month of each other… gotta suck for the families.

How good is this?

RIP

Dementia (Alzheimer's) took his neurons and killed them millions of his neurons everyday.

His thoughts, memories, skills, humanity, all were wiped out by this disease which affects more than half of humans when they age.

Now there is nothing left of him but just a mass of meat cells rotting for eternity.

When you tell reality exactly as it is, without any pink glasses, people really hate you for it.

^cool story faggot. I wonder how dementia would interfere with your autism.

RIP Malcolm Young. That man lived a full life

RIP to one of the greatest rock stars of all time. Malcolm wrote the music, especially a lot of the early stuff. He was the heart of the band. Him and Angus were one of the greatest rock duo's ever.

Can you imagine if Slash and Izzy stayed together? Malcolm and Angus did and created almost 50 years of stadium filling tours and killer albums. AC/DC is the Rolling Stones of hard rock. And these guys truly lived it.

I never got to see them live, but they were a fixture of my entire life. I used to play AC/DC covers, and my best friend was a certified Young brothers freak. Taught me every AC/DC song.

RIP MALCOLM YOUNG

Quote: (11-19-2017 10:16 AM)Vaun Wrote:  

RIP to one of the greatest rock stars of all time. Malcolm wrote the music, especially a lot of the early stuff. He was the heart of the band. Him and Angus were one of the greatest rock duo's ever.

Can you imagine if Slash and Izzy stayed together? Malcolm and Angus did and created almost 50 years of stadium filling tours and killer albums. AC/DC is the Rolling Stones of hard rock. And these guys truly lived it.

I never got to see them live, but they were a fixture of my entire life. I used to play AC/DC covers, and my best friend was a certified Young brothers freak. Taught me every AC/DC song.

RIP MALCOLM YOUNG

That's a bummer man. Great live show - I saw them on the Ballbreaker and Stiff Upper Lip tours. You know what you're going to get when you see them: loud straight ahead anthemic rock and a whole lotta Angus.

Obligatory for the thread - we salute you Malcolm:

Greatest band EVER to come out of Australia.

RIP Rocker Oi Oi Oi

AC/DC is one of my favorite bands. Malcolm rocked the same haircut for 40 years. RIP

"To be underestimated, is an incredible gift." Rackham

This is some shit. AC/DC was one of the first bands I really appreciated when I headed into my teens and one of the first bands my father and I could enjoy together, and I think it helped inform all my other ideas about music. Way too soon.

EDIT: ^ The gentleman above me also has excellent taste in AC/DC. I'll offer a substitute:

Hidey-ho, RVFerinos!

First Chris Cornell, and now one of the Young brothers. This has not been a good year for the groups that I liked.

"Stop playing by 1950's rules when everyone else is playing by 1984."
- Leonard D Neubache

Quote: (11-19-2017 08:19 AM)kuros Wrote:  

Dementia (Alzheimer's) took his neurons and killed them millions of his neurons everyday.

His thoughts, memories, skills, humanity, all were wiped out by this disease which affects more than half of humans when they age.

Now there is nothing left of him but just a mass of meat cells rotting for eternity.

When you tell reality exactly as it is, without any pink glasses, people really hate you for it.

Fuck off, nihilist.

h

Their greatest song will always be this one:

Musical siblings. Angus and Malcom’s oldest brother George had a big hit in the late 70s with his band Flash in the Pan. George just died a few weeks ago.

Take care of those titties for me.

Sad day. It’s when you hear news like this that you really are reminded about the march of time.

I remember the first time I was aware of AC/DC . It was 1980, I was just 12, and I was visiting a friend’s house for his birthday. He had a poster on wall. Putting posters on walls was a big thing in the 1970s and 80s. I get the sense kids don’t do that so much any more.

Anyway, the poster was the album cover for “Highway to Hell.” There was just something about it that caught my attention. It was just…raw. Unvarnished. A guy in a T-shirt with his hands in his pocket, like he didn’t give a shit whether you liked his music or not.

But I didn’t really listen to the album until a few years later. And that let me to all the other, earlier albums (which are fantastic, by the way). “Highway to Hell” is incredible. Every track is just great.

I loved the grimy, gritty feel to the music. The unique voice of Bon Scott, who sang like he had a mouthful of marbles. If I had to pick my two favorite albums—not an easy task—they would have to be “Powerage” and “Highway to Hell.”

But you know what I really like about AC/DC? It’s the little touches, those subtle, finer little touches.

For example:

Listen to the first ten seconds of the studio version of the song “Overdose.” You can hear the guitar being tuned up and fingered. Any other band would have cut that part out of the final track. But not AC/DC. They left it in. Why? Because they didn’t give a shit. And it makes all the difference. It gives the song a weird, raw quality it might not otherwise have.

Another example? All right.

Listen again to “Night Prowler,” with its slowed-down guitar, meandering, sinister vocals, and ominous feel. Right at the end of the song, Bon Scott says, “Shazbot…nanu, nanu.” That sly little “Mork and Mindy” reference would be lost on listeners today. But it’s just those little bits of humor that make them so memorable.

They were titans of music for three decades.

(And, by the way, Bon Scott will always be the front man of AC/DC. Sorry, Brian. You’re a good man, but the original lineup is…the original lineup.)

2:20 - 3:32 is my favorite breakdown in any of their songs, EVER.

Angus kicks ass on a brutal lead solo, then starts droning the same power chord over and over as Malcolm, technically playing a more complicated rhythm melody by comparison, almost seems to switch place into lead guitar. The interplay becomes more and more dissonant as Angus's strumming gets more and more deranged.

Then, while Malcolm transitions into playing the song's melody, Angus jumps back into lead and melts your face off with an even MORE blistering solo than the first. It still gives me chills.

They did this role-switching a lot in their music. This has to be, really, the song that officially made me a fan.

My favourite bit in any AC/DC song is the bagpipe solo in "It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n Roll)". They never did it live with Brian, but I'm hoping that Axl will re-introduce it to AC/DC setlists.

I was just reading "Dirty Deeds" by Mark Evans (AC/DC's original bassist) and he mentions the bagpipes that Bon Scott played during live performances of the song got destroyed at a concert with Skyhooks (an Aussie pop-rock band from the 1970s) at a show in 1975.

,,Я видел, куда падает солнце!
Оно уходит сквозь постель,
В глубокую щель!"
-Андрей Середа, ,,Улица чужих лиц", 1989 г.

It's been a tough year for music. Dementia is a horrible disease, takes away who you are before taking away your life. My great grandma passed away from it and I wouldn't wish that on anybody.

Best band to ever come out of Aus, so many classic songs that are just as good today as they were 40 years ago.

I was fortunate enough to see them live 3 times and it was always an epic show.

Vale Malcolm Young.

At least he didn't die young. Much respect for this man, AC-DC is always on my playlists.

“People can go out and hear R.E.M. if they want deep lyrics; but at the end of the night, they want to go home and get fucked! That's where AC/DC comes into it.” — Malcolm Young

Quote: (11-20-2017 04:20 AM)hedonist Wrote:  

“People can go out and hear R.E.M. if they want deep lyrics; but at the end of the night, they want to go home and get fucked! That's where AC/DC comes into it.” — Malcolm Young

If we're going to start posting all AC/DC songs with innuendo, here's this one again.

(I know this is about Malcolm Young but the drum tone on this tune is truly epic as well.)

I was never a big AC/DC band, but this sorta thing always leaves me feeling hugely melancholic. Nah, it's not in that gay, "omg i loved michael Jackson" way. It's more the sense that a teeny, tiny bit of my world dies every time one of these Artistic titans passes on. In another 50 or so years, all the musicians I grew up listening to will have likely moved on and I'll be that strange old dude talking about musicians who might be largely unknown to the younger generation. That's a chilling thought.

I remember the first time I heard Thunderstruck and was like "shit, I gotta learn to play that opening on my guitar." I sat for a few hours and got it in my fingers and still really enjoy the fuck out of that song.

I'm used to this feeling--or I should be--but there is just something so strange about that feeling that you when you know that a band that you weren't all that into laid the musical groundwork for a lot of your favorite acts.

I can confidently say that a lot of my favorite heavy metalers grew up on stuff like AC/DC and I'm damn sure they're feeling the loss more profoundly than I am.

Rest well, Malcolm.

I will be checking my PMs weekly, so you can catch me there. I will not be posting.

I was also big into guitar as a teenager and played my share of AC/DC to the CDs.

What made that band great was song construction and how it relates to "tension". In Thunderstruck, the song doesn't hit the first chorus until about 2 minutes and 40 seconds. The song fucks with your ears like foreplay. That's what makes it so epic.