rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Giant Robot Built by Soyboys Fail

Who was disappointed but not surprised?

From their Reddit:
Quote:Quote:

This week has been an emotional roller coaster at Megabots. Monday we were excited, but anxious, about how the fight video would be received. By Tuesday night, it morphed to happiness and satisfaction, as we watched the fruits of two years of labor manifest before our eyes while millions participated, then sank into the depths as people began posting how much they hated the fight before Eagle Prime had even taken the field. We kept hearing from people that loved it, but the negativity got in our heads. We were so happy to finally pull the fight off and share it with the world, but what was next? The floor of the shop was filled with uncertainty. We knew we'd never make everyone happy, but was there a way to bring people back who didn't like the duel? Could we keep doing what we loved? Finally, to end the week by finding the instrument to sing our song...
We saw the complaints, we read the bad press. If you haven't given up on us, if you still want giant robot combat, if you still want to see misfit engineers and outcasts live their dreams in the only place they've ever found happiness, come to our twitch channel! Watch us test the robot! Watch us break things! Watch us break our own things! Watch us talk about the things we're breaking!

Impressive hardware, but their reactions would be funny if it wasn't so sad...

Edit: bigger image.

[Image: latest?cb=20150929223532]

I don't care what anyone says. Maybe it's not the greatest spectator sport, but building fighting robots is super-manly.

Edit: How much you wanna bet the neo-haired reporter chick fucked a cameraman that night?

I'm the King of Beijing!

Quote: (11-04-2017 10:31 AM)Suits Wrote:  

I don't care what anyone says. Maybe it's not the greatest spectator sport, but building fighting robots is super-manly.

I agree, it can be rather manly. But the American team sure ain't acting it.

At a Maker Faire I saw local guy working on making a giant robot suit specifically designed to bash up and cheap enough that anyone could build/repair it. Something like skeletronics, but without the $5 million pricetag.

edit: found my pic of the local giant robot thingy

[Image: qtVvUkY.jpg]

Edit: How much you wanna bet the neo-haired reporter chick fucked a cameraman that night?

I won't take that bet. Giant robots are a powerful aphrodisiac.

Did you watch the "fight"?

They built the fighting robot equivalent of a LARP nerd

[Image: Pj4owqQ.jpg]

"I'd hate myself if I had that kind of attitude, if I were that weak." - Arnold

You laugh now but I'm concerned. Eventually these fucktards will find a way to create machines we read about in sci-fi and like any good weapon it will be used by the state.

I can't wait for Robot Jox.

"A stripper last night brought up "Rich Dad Poor Dad" when I mentioned, "Think and Grow Rich""

I'm not sure how this is a thing at all.

A novice operator running a similar sized excavator with grabs on the arm would tear those two machines apart at the same time.

The public will judge a man by what he lifts, but those close to him will judge him by what he carries.

I enjoyed it, despite the American fake reality tv feel when the announcers had to run away. I don't know what people are expecting from a couple of teams that decided to make giant mechas.

But boy are the Kickstarter backers pissed. The style of production means people are calling the whole thing a fake scripted show, where they gave money to watch 'Murica fight Japan, not give money for a show pilot.

I'm overwhelmed by that "robotic expert" girl.. so much technical insight through the whole video.

Wait, no.

Why was she even there? a 5 minutes video without retarded commentary would have been much easier to watch till the end.

Quote: (11-04-2017 10:54 AM)Ethan.Allan Wrote:  

I won't take that bet. Giant robots are a powerful aphrodisiac.

Asians are so competitive. I love how even when born in the West, she still has to beat the white girls at being 'Toronto-ish', for lack of a better term.

Quote: (03-05-2016 02:42 PM)SudoRoot Wrote:  
Fuck this shit, I peace out.

As a mechanical engineer I can really appreciate the sheer amount of time, effort, and cost to design and build these ginormous robots. But the robots' capabilities were about what I expected. People have watched too much of the Matrix, Avatar, or Starship Troopers to realize that that kind of technology is more fantasy than actual workable engineering. Though, I would love to see the AMP go up against the APU!

[Image: tumblr_nm7m02tXMI1qd479ro1_r2_500.gif]

[Image: La1gRZg.gif]

Look up the stuff by Boston Dynamics. Kind of scary in certain ways...

If only you knew how bad things really are.

Quote: (11-06-2017 02:32 AM)RexImperator Wrote:  

Look up the stuff by Boston Dynamics. Kind of scary in certain ways...

I've know about Boston Dynamics for years. Here's the thing though. They have been in business for over 25 years and they have never commercialized a single robot nor have any of their robots been bought by the US Military for actual operational use. Google acquired Boston Dynamics in December 2013 but then Google sold the company to a Japanese company in June 2017. Apparently, Google discovered that Boston Dynamics can build cool looking robots but have no actual real world applications.

Syfy had something similar a few years back:

Kinda funny at how cheesy all this is. It's almost as if the industry is waiting for the right guy to break through the silliness and make something legit/take it seriously.
I'm cheering for my local dude.

Quote: (11-07-2017 08:17 PM)Ethan.Allan Wrote:  

Kinda funny at how cheesy all this is. It's almost as if the industry is waiting for the right guy to break through the silliness and make something legit/take it seriously.

I can't be the only one who saw the video thumbnail and thought, "Man, that dweeb built a sexbot that almost doesn't have uncanny valley."

Quote: (11-07-2017 09:25 PM)Alsos Wrote:  

Quote: (11-07-2017 08:17 PM)Ethan.Allan Wrote:  

I can't be the only one who saw the video thumbnail and thought, "Man, that dweeb built a sexbot that almost doesn't have uncanny valley."

I actually saw the video thumbnail and thought, "Man, that dweeb built a sexbot that looks exactly like Reese Witherspoon."

Remissas, discite, vivet.
God save us from people who mean well. -storm

A Korean company is working on a mecha that resembles the AMP suit from Avatar.

Quote: (11-08-2017 01:01 AM)Long Haired Samson Wrote:  

A Korean company is working on a mecha that resembles the AMP suit from Avatar.

Different size, same principle:

The problem with having motors directly on the joint is that maintaining posture requires constant current unless your motors have a worm drive or some fiddly Ball Screw assemblies (that would simulate linear muscle movement). Method-01 still requires a power umbilical. What sort of giant robot has a power umbilical?

[Image: GDS-7847.jpg]