rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Yoga? Bad idea? Good idea?

I'm thinking of getting into a yoga class so I can add a stretching component to my exercise routines (I'm getting more stiff) and they're popular enough enough that I might actually find classes at 8 or 9pm. I'm getting sick of the social isolation that my lifestyle gives me, and want to do some sort of group activity. There's also a lot of women in Yoga classes. I'd rather do Crossfit and do the stretching at home, but all crossfit classes end at 7pm it seems and I'm not fucking getting up early in the morning.

In the back of my mind, I feel like it's a bad idea, but I also feel like it could be a good idea, so what do you guys think.

Sounds like a good idea to me.Just go along and mind your own business and the girls will usually be cool with you being there even if you are the only guy in the class.If there was a cheap yoga class near me I would go for sure just to balance out my weight training.And the yoga chicks often have the tightest bods around [Image: smile.gif]

Why would it be a bad idea?

i actually really enjoyed it and found it to be a great workout and stress reliever. i'd recommend you try a class at a couple different studios near your house that do different types of yoga (bikram, regular, etc) and see what you think.

What "type" of Yoga do you guys recommend?

I have been meaning to do this for a while, and with a recent back injury, I need to get on the ball (so to speak).

It's a great workout that is quite different from weights, cardio, or functional training. Yoga is excellent for increasing flexibility, releasing tension, and stretching muscles and connective tissue.

I enjoy vinyasa and power yoga (aka Ashtanga). Either hot or room temperature. Some people I know swear by Bikram (very hot, always the same sequence of poses in order) but I haven't tried that.

I'd go with Vinyasa flow because I like movement and variety. Instructors will usually mix in different styles as well, so it pays to find one that you jive with.

Quote: (09-12-2011 03:27 PM)PDX Wrote:  

Gay guy in ballet class type's of stereotypes. So many dance classes the girls play the guy cause there are barely any men in dance.

Quote: (09-12-2011 04:16 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

I have been meaning to do this for a while, and with a recent back injury, I need to get on the ball (so to speak).

Go in there and talk to them and tell them your situation. They will advise you.

Quote: (09-12-2011 10:54 PM)ersatz Wrote:  

Gay guy in ballet class type's of stereotypes. So many dance classes the girls play the guy cause there are barely any men in dance.

If you're concerned with this, then maybe you need to work on your confidence issues first... Nobody gives a fuck if you're a guy in a yoga class.

Ya, try out yoga. It's nice. It will increase your flexibility and make you become more mindful of your body. Yoga is especially good if you're a runner.

Quote: (09-12-2011 04:16 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

I did Hatha yoga which was good and not too hard, but it depends on what you want to get out of it. Core strength? Flexibility? Focus? Being able to do all the positions in the Kama Sutra?

Once winter rolls in I'll be doing Bikram yoga, which is done in a very hot room. This means you burn more calories, improves flexibility and supposedly makes you sweat out more toxins. It's the most highly sexed school of yoga and some girls say the heat makes them horny. A lot of people swear by it so I think it's worth a shot.

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

I love yoga. I would like to go back to this class ASP.
Well, yoga gives you relaxation and pace, and makes you less stiff. I recommend.

Deixa que essa fase é passageira, amanhã será melhor você vai ver a cidade inteira seu samba saber de cor!

I have been wanting to try the Bikram yoga (basic yoga in a hot ass room) but have been to busy to pull the trigger.

i tried Vinyasa and Bikram and liked Vinyasa better. But I'd try a few of them = google yoga studio's in your part of town, show up w/a mat, water bottle, and towel, and pay the $20 for a drop in fee. Do this at a few places and you will begin to see the differences and see what you like the best.

I remember this thread having some great information on yoga and gaming the girls. MiXX gives a legit report on the classes he went to.

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-3957.h...light=yoga

G, I used to have the back of a man three times my age, yoga has kept it limber for two years and counting now.

Hatha is good to start off.

Try and find a studio that offers hot room sessions in your city.

Blog: Thumotic
Red Pill links: The Red Pill Review
Follow me on Twitter

Gentlemen,

From someone who has been involved with everything from bodybuilding to crossfit to boxing, yoga is the best workout out there. It's the most difficult physical activity (along with boxing) I've ever been involved with. It builds your core strength like no other activity. It also increases flexibility and concentration like none other.

The best part may be that you're surrounded by the hottest, fittest, and clearest minded girls you can imagine.

Yin Yoga: Deep stretching. Very good for flexibility.
Vinyasa: Very fast paced and an extremely intense cardio workout.

You need to try it. You will feel GREAT afterwards. Stay hydrated!!!

Namaste,
Easy

Quote: (09-12-2011 10:54 PM)ersatz Wrote:  

I've read on a bodybuilding website that the only thing gay is engaging in sexual acts with another dude AND enjoying it. I put the AND in because the engagement may be forced from a stronger dude onto a weaker dude.

All this rubbish about it being gay to do ballet and yoga and all that..you do what you gotta do to get your body right.

The Scotsmen wear skirts but I bet ya some of those hairy fcukers would knock the shyt out of a skinny jeans wearing mofo seven days from Wednesday.

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

I like Bikram yoga a lot.

I was able to cut fat, clear my skin, achieve a much greater sense of calm and clarity, heal the tendinitis in my knee and achilles tendon, and make some new friends.

It's also 95 percent chicks.

It will add years to your life and detox you on a daily basis.

Try it every day for a month and tell me you're not hooked.

I've been thinking of getting back into yoga.

I never ended up making a habit of it because of a lack of patience and inability to commit.

I've been thinking of taking it up recently -- my university runs free classes twice a week -- not so much to run game there, but to improve flexibility for weightlifting and the sports I play: fencing, ultimate, sailing. I reckon it would also help me with being more deliberate, calm, slow, and patient; issues that would also improve inner game.

Having read some opinions on the forum about yoga being a "girly" exercise, how much of a truism is that?
Is there a strong case for a red-pill aware, masculine man having to eschew it? Does it decrease testosterone? Increase oestrogen? Feminise or soften you?

Loads of guys who do yoga tend to be either the hippy or SJW, low-T type; but surely yoga per se can't determine one's belief system (make you more leftist).

Us westerners tend to view yoga as a physical exercise since it came around in the 80's. While it is physical, Indian culture sees yoga as a mental and spiritual endeavour as well. I believe it is also considered a religion to some Hindus having its own set of philosophies and such . I can not elaborate on this but I'm sure someone here can.

As far as yoga being 'girly', it very well may be... however, this is only perspective. Should you go to India, I'd imagine you'd find classes full of men and women. As a spiritual lifestyle for those people, there is no stigma when it comes to being a man or woman wishing to participate.

I've been to a few classes at different gyms in my area with everything from fit girls to fat girls but never another male. I've been approached by men, seeing me leave a yoga class, and questioned about whether or not its worth a try. I'll tell you what I tell them.... yes its worth a try even if it's just to see if there's anything you can get out of it.

For instance, I practice martial arts and my style has limited weight training capabilities. Yoga adds another dimension to my workout outside of the bodyweight exercises and calisthenics I do. Strengthening my core, and increasing flexibility. Two must haves for martial artists. I do deep stretching and breathing poses in the evening, and more strength based poses during my workouts.

For my weightlifting buddies, I'd say that you'd most benefit from deep stretching poses... I think it's called kundalini. Where you increase oxygen and blood flow to your body with breathing/stretching. Since you're already lifting, you may not get as much out of the more rigorous programs but only you can be the judge of that.

For the guys,and girls, who don't do shit but want to be fit... Yoga is the way to go. You're not gonna get ripped doing it but you can gain a little muscle with daily workouts and increased strength as well.

There are different types of yoga for different applications and the only thing girly about it is the fact that here in the west, more women than men choose to participate or practice it.
I'm cool with that. I'd rather have a girl with a yoga body than a weightlifter body any day.

Simply put... Just because more women do it, does not mean there is nothing we men can get it out of it. In fact, it may have been men who created or discovered it in the first place. (very likely in my opinion)

I think it's probably yoga's being a product of Indian culture, not in spite of, that counts against it. Indians and Indian culture are very much scorned in RVF and manosphere circles, as being the complete antithesis of not just neo-masculinity in particular, but Western moral and cultural superiority in general.

When you think about it, so too far quite a fair few offshoots of India at odds with the red pill and manhood -- pacifism, compassion, vegetarianism, Buddhism. I can see how an RVFer would thumb his nose at the idea of doing your fellow man no harm, as an inherently feminine trait, the raison d'être of mankind being to forcefully seek out and conquering the ground of other men whilst defending your patch in turn. Similarly, a steak and two veg is praised as the most masculine meal one can consume, a testament to the strength and forcefulness of man and his mastery of lesser fauna.

I imagine Gandhi couldn't count on too many fans among the 'sphere.

As for how this relates to yoga -- wouldn't it be fair to say that its soft and nimble nature would speak to what its mental and spiritual side would be? The idea of harmonising your mind, soul, body, with your surroundings point to an effete belief system, easily domitable belief system.
In contrast to weightlifting, which can be seen as a more masculine form of physical conditioning, as it involves the honing of ones anatomical faculties and mastery of strength, for the purposes of control over his environment. This also sharpens his martial state and stature.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, or have swallowed too much of the Manosphere Kool-aid, but I can't help but see a justification for the feminine stigma it enjoys.

I can definitely see the benefits that you've explained, and reckon that it augment and broaden my workout routine and capabilties....but maybe I see doing it as a slight against my manhood? [Image: undecided.gif]

Yoga class/group yoga? Nope, not my things, seems try hard and effeminate.

Yoga in my apartment? Yes, everyday. You can find videos all over youtube that can help you with any stiffness/soreness. It's done great things for my back. A couple years ago I fucked up my lower back at work and collapsed walking to the bathroom the next morning, it took 3 days before I could stand upright. Yoga fixed that shit over the coarse of a month or two.

Nothing try hard or effeminate about yoga. You just need to grow some balls and adopt a true ZFG attitude. The girls in your class will look on in awe (and lust) at the power and finesse that only a man can achieve. Find a studio that offers more challenging and athletic classes, get good at it and you will blow the rest of the class away.

Yoga was invented by MEN; for MEN.

Ancient hunters studied the physical patterns of wild animals..

Animals are constantly stretching...

Why?

They must be ready to hunt at all times..

Our physical bodies are incredible living machines that are designed for dynamic, powerful, movement.

In order to get money and girls. It's best to be fit, healthy, vibrant, rested, re-charged, flexible, strong, clear minded, and full of vitality.

Yoga is designed for us, the hunters.

That's the "red pill" of Yoga.