rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

U.S. Senate panel approves self-driving car legislation

This is what pisses me off and defines my political stance as a constitutional conservative (ie libertarian).

Why in the fuck does the Federal Government speed up or slow down any of these industries? Why not let the market play out? Leave it up to the states. If a state doesn't want auto drive vehicles, let them not allow the vehicles.

Meaningless divisiveness. That seems to be what all media and politics are about these days.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/u-senate-panel...nance.html

Quote:Quote:

By David Shepardson

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate Commerce Committee on Wednesday unanimously approved a bill to speed self-driving cars to market without human controls and bar states from imposing regulatory road blocks.

The bill still must be approved by the full Senate. The U.S. House passed a similar version last month unanimously. General Motors Co, Alphabet Inc, Ford Motor Co and others have lobbied for the landmark legislation. Despite some complaints from Republicans, the Senate bill does not speed approval of self-driving technology for large commercial trucks after labor unions raised safety and employment concerns.

The measure, the first significant federal legislation aimed at speeding self-driving cars to market, would allow automakers to win exemptions from current safety rules that prohibit vehicles without human controls.

States could still set rules on registration, licensing, liability, insurance and safety inspections, but not performance standards.

Senator Richard Blumenthal sought to amend the bill to require companies to include human controls in the event of an emergency, but in the face of opposition dropped the proposal. Some senators argued it would be more dangerous to allow human drivers to seek to take over driverless cars.

Several Republican senators noted the strong support of trucking organizations to include vehicles over 10,000 pounds, but Democrats made it clear that they would not support the bill if it included bigger vehicles.

Auto safety advocates complained that the bill lacked sufficient safeguards. It would within three years allow automakers to sell up to 80,000 self-driving vehicles annually if they could demonstrate they are as safe as current vehicles.

The bill's phase-in schedule was revised to allow 15,000 per manufacturer and up to 80,000 after three years, down from 100,000 proposed earlier. It would lift the cap completely after four years.

The bill grants NHTSA authority to exempt vehicles from existing federal safety requirements and the agency would have to make a determination within six months of getting a request.

The Commerce Committee adopted a House approved provision that would require automakers to eventually include a rear seat alert system designed to warn parents not to forget young children in car seats.

(Reporting by David Shepardson; Editing by David Gregorio)

I've been telling friends, wait until they come out with automobile statistics showing the average driver is 100,000 times more likely to get into an accident...next year.

“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”

The whole reason this happened is because of liability concerns of self driving cars.

Who is going to pay out when an accident occurs in a self driving car?

At present, this isn't being addressed and the whole thing appears to be a libertarian dream of just eliminating the liability concerns and having them be solved later.

Frankly, I don't trust self driving cars and one day a self driving car is going to make a decision that kills a group of some protected class (gay, black, muslim, children) because of some fault. We'll then get to enjoy a protracted legal battle where car manufacturers and the tech companies all play the, "not me" game.

I absolutely loathe the idea of self driving cars for a thousand different reasons.

I can see why 'elite' filth are salivating at the prospect though. They want to mainstream the technology into mass usage as soon as possible as it will allow them to concentrate wealth even further (no need to pay those pesky drivers) and eventually to ban human drivers altogether. These fuckers despise the idea that us serfs can have any autonomy. They can't wait for the moment your only option for moving around is to hop on that public transport or into your "plugged in" self-driving car. Funny how GOP cucks who are always droning on and on about states' rights are all of a sudden so eager to smash state autonomy with a giant federal jackboot. Aren't fucking traffic regulations the prototypical issue where states-and even municipalities-have always set their own rules?

I'm sure they have plans for many more trucks of peace in the years to come. "Why do you want to have your hands on the steering wheel anyway, asshole? You planning something, or what?" It's probably a coincidence but notice how trucks of peace became a thing at about the same time as self driving technology began to take off in earnest. Sure took those Islamics a long time to come up with that idea, how lucky are we that in the near future we'll be able to do something about it by outlawing human driving?[Image: dodgy.gif] Luck of the Goy, I guess.

Quote: (10-04-2017 11:19 AM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

The whole reason this happened is because of liability concerns of self driving cars.

Who is going to pay out when an accident occurs in a self driving car?

At present, this isn't being addressed and the whole thing appears to be a libertarian dream of just eliminating the liability concerns and having them be solved later.

Frankly, I don't trust self driving cars and one day a self driving car is going to make a decision that kills a group of some protected class (gay, black, muslim, children) because of some fault. We'll then get to enjoy a protracted legal battle where car manufacturers and the tech companies all play the, "not me" game.

You don't trust states to address the appropriate car insurance laws.

“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”

I always shake my head when people start fapping about high tech elite fantasies like self driving cars, special tunnels for self driving cars, bio-medical cybernetic enhancements, etc. How foolish can you be to think that this will be available to anyone other than the elites? Yeah sure, everyone in the world is going to have access to this technology. Surely it won't be used to further widen the rich/poor gap and provide the elites with ultimate luxury and extended life in walled off supercities while the rest of us suffer as neofeudal serfs in multiculti borderlands.

I don't trust AI enough to make the correct decision when disaster strikes, and I don't trust the handlers of this technology - anyone remember the wikileak revealing CIA studies into remote takeover of vehicles for assassinations?

Self drive these cars into your assholes technocrats

If self driving cars ever make it to market they will be vandalized and sabotaged regularly. I think the liability aspect is an insurmountable aspect of it. And in regards to the drone helicopter developed in Dubai... no way in hell would I get into an aircraft where the pilot has no skin in the game. These elite startup people are on crack. Just build us fucking space stations and Mars colonies! Send teams into deep space. No, we want everybody equal down here.

For what it's worth, pilotless aircraft are hundreds of times more feasible than self driving cars. The number of variables involved with automobiles is enormous compared to piloting commercial aircraft. Self driving cars (as in level 5 autonomy with zero human attention or input required in any situation) is a pipedream fueled by this latest stock market bubble. It's not even decades away from being implemented safely. It's just an excuse that has been used to enrich those responsible for pumping up bubble stocks like Tesla to absurd heights.

Wait until the electric car bubble pops up when people realize that electric cars do more damage to the environment and have a wayyyyy shorter product life span than normal vehicles.

Companies already made self driving cars but they are not yet ready to be launched into the market. A few months ago, someone's car was hacked and caused a malfunction on their brakes. What's going to happen when hordes of people suddenly obtain these autonomous vehicles that rely much more on technology? I know it sounds a lot like the fast and furious movie but it sounds like this is the direction that these companies are heading to.

I can't wait to buy a self-driving car. Drive to work, drive to the ski resort. Want a short vacation? Sleep in the back or get work done Friday evening and wake up in a different state. Enjoy and be back Monday morning.

Love them or hate them, they are coming, and they will kill jobs. You can either adapt or be left in the dirt.

Quote: (10-09-2017 01:30 PM)cosine Wrote:  

I can't wait to buy a self-driving car. Drive to work, drive to the ski resort. Want a short vacation? Sleep in the back or get work done Friday evening and wake up in a different state. Enjoy and be back Monday morning.

Love them or hate them, they are coming, and they will kill jobs. You can either adapt or be left in the dirt.

... and after that the next step is mass transportation and the the neglect of local roads. This together along with the killing of industries not nearby cities, and rural economic activities ; the result could very well be more people massively moving to urban centers. Logically, then they will advocate for trains or whatever they invent (like the tube that will take you from Sanfran to LA at supersonic speeds); and everyone will agree and welcome them.

There is a reason why trains are not popular in the US for long trips: because Americans value their freedom.

This is just one more step towards total societal control. Dissent or be left locked up in the cage.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
— Robert Heinlein

A new accident with a Google's self driving car. The woman sitting in drivers seat of the self driving car is was sent to hospital.

The self driving car was not guilty. The other car who run into it entered the opposite lane to escape collision another car.

Video:

What are your thoughts? I think there is a 50/50 chance a human driver would have seen the situation an slowed down or moved to the right more already before and avoided this.

Yup. I am 100% sure this is going to happen.

This isn't an "AI car accident". Just look at the tiny reaction time (1 second) - and unlike the case with that woman where LIDAR should have picked her up far ahead, no LIDAR can anticipate that someone from the opposite lane is going to bounce and slam into you.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Quote: (05-05-2018 07:06 AM)Handsome Creepy Eel Wrote:  

This isn't an "AI car accident". Just look at the tiny reaction time (1 second) - and unlike the case with that woman where LIDAR should have picked her up far ahead, no LIDAR can anticipate that someone from the opposite lane is going to bounce and slam into you.

A moderatly experienced human driver can trough. As I said this car didn't drive in the opposite lane without a reason. He did it to avoid other crash and a sensible human driver could have the understanding to observe other participants of traffic and take precautions.

Also in this case avoiding in one second was possible because to avoid it would be enough to turn right and it was unnecessary to brake.

A human driver can avoid accidents by quick steering, maybe even steering off road which might be better then collision depending on surroundings. An automatic car won't do that and will probably always brake if it detects something wrong, which is not always the best solution.

If this technology does actually come to market and start making serious headway then we could be looking at the straw that broke the camel's back in terms of mass unemployment.

As of 2012, in the United States: the total number of taxi cab drivers is 233,900; the average annual salary of a taxi cab driver is $22,820; the expected percent job increase over the next 10 years is 16%. Some cities use "taxi medallions" as permits for taxicab drivers to pick up passengers.
Taxicabs of the United States - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxicabs_o...ted_States

According to TruckInfo.net, there are about 3.5 million professional truck drivers in the US plus another 5.4 million or so employed in related industries (e.g. warehousing).
How many commercial truck drivers are there in America? - Quora

Delivery Truck Drivers and Driver/Sales Workers
Quick Facts: Delivery Truck Drivers and Driver/Sales Workers

Number of Jobs, 20161,421,400

Delivery Truck Drivers and Driver/Sales Workers - Bureau of Labor ...
https://www.bls.gov/ooh/...and.../delive...orkers.htm

Those are the broad strokes. There's countless smaller casualties in amongst all that.

The public will judge a man by what he lifts, but those close to him will judge him by what he carries.

I'm no skeptic of tech, I believe it will come about because you can't stop the march of progress and what is abhorrent to us now won;t be so to generations yet to be born.

What I will question is how this tech can be applied to military hardware of the future. We already see big data and our understanding of it is improving but what if we could automate dumb AI and machines to use that data?

Quote: (05-05-2018 11:46 AM)Leonard D Neubache Wrote:  

If this technology does actually come to market and start making serious headway then we could be looking at the straw that broke the camel's back in terms of mass unemployment.

As of 2012, in the United States: the total number of taxi cab drivers is 233,900; the average annual salary of a taxi cab driver is $22,820; the expected percent job increase over the next 10 years is 16%. Some cities use "taxi medallions" as permits for taxicab drivers to pick up passengers.
Taxicabs of the United States - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxicabs_o...ted_States

According to TruckInfo.net, there are about 3.5 million professional truck drivers in the US plus another 5.4 million or so employed in related industries (e.g. warehousing).
How many commercial truck drivers are there in America? - Quora

Delivery Truck Drivers and Driver/Sales Workers
Quick Facts: Delivery Truck Drivers and Driver/Sales Workers

Number of Jobs, 20161,421,400

Delivery Truck Drivers and Driver/Sales Workers - Bureau of Labor ...
https://www.bls.gov/ooh/...and.../delive...orkers.htm

Those are the broad strokes. There's countless smaller casualties in amongst all that.

It's beginning with aircraft too.

Cargo Pilots Oppose Single Pilot Proposal

The FAA has basically allocated funding into research for single-pilot cargo operations. Then it will be autonomous, then it will spread to airlines. It's my understanding that Boeing has long been researching autonomous flight as well. The FAA allocating funding for it is a pretty blatant shot across the bow.

Many engineers scoff at how these 'lowly drivers and pilots' will be out of work but they will still have a job. Not so. If the capability exists to completely automate driving and flying, many other capabilities of both hardware and software will be in existence that could then be used for other applications. Hell, even today the capability exists for producing wiring diagrams automatically. Sure they look ugly as shit now, but it can be done, and that's an engineer's job. The same could be done for any number of drawings that currently require significant manpower. Same goes for doctors:

Computers are Better at Diagnosing and Treating Patients Than Doctors

So.......yeah.

Regarding the car crashes above - If the two cars that initiated the accident were autonomously driven, would there be a need for avoiding a car coming at you head on in the wrong lane?

Remember nearly all accidents to date have been caused by or involved a human doing something stupid...

I'm all for autonomous driving, but I'll always own a means of transport where a computer doesn't decide where I can go.

Watch for a move towards banning motorcycles "for safety". They're not functionally automatable and they're an authoritarians nightmare.

The public will judge a man by what he lifts, but those close to him will judge him by what he carries.