rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Cheat sheet to match patterned shirts and ties for your suit.

[Image: 18nv240ipve0ljpg.jpg]

I am afraid that women appreciate cruelty, downright cruelty, more than anything else. They have wonderfully primitive instincts. We have emancipated them, but they remain slaves looking for their masters all the same. They love being dominated.
--Oscar Wilde

This won't always look right, for example, those striped ties didn't go with the shirts well. A good rule of thumb is to use a tie pattern that's smaller than the shirt pattern. In general, only wear subtle shirt patterns with a suit or blazer. Bolder patterns like a navy gingham should be worn with a sports jacket. Wearing a tie with a sports jacket is a little more advanced.

My top tip - always wear a white shirt, looks crisp, perfect for any occasion and can go with any suit/ tie.

Quote: (10-01-2017 03:20 PM)Pinocchio Wrote:  

My top tip - always wear a white shirt, looks crisp, perfect for any occasion and can go with any suit/ tie.

White shirts usually work well, and it's light blue cousin works better for certain complexions. I'm a white dress shirt man, myself.

Quote: (10-01-2017 03:13 PM)Laska Wrote:  

This won't always look right, for example, those striped ties didn't go with the shirts well. A good rule of thumb is to use a tie pattern that's smaller than the shirt pattern. In general, only wear subtle shirt patterns with a suit or blazer. Bolder patterns like a navy gingham should be worn with a sports jacket. Wearing a tie with a sports jacket is a little more advanced.

Sports jacket vs blazer isn't clear to me, what's the difference?

I always thought a blazer just came in different fabrics, like a tweed blazer would be more informal.

I see a lot of guys wearing a t-shirt under a sports jacket, but not usually v-neck. I prefer v-neck as a stand alone t-shirt because it fits better if you have bigger shoulders like me. Normal t-shirt looks bulky. How is wearing a v-neck with a sports jacket?

Quote: (10-01-2017 05:58 PM)nomadbrah Wrote:  

I always thought a blazer just came in different fabrics, like a tweed blazer would be more informal.

I see a lot of guys wearing a t-shirt under a sports jacket, but not usually v-neck. I prefer v-neck as a stand alone t-shirt because it fits better if you have bigger shoulders like me. Normal t-shirt looks bulky. How is wearing a v-neck with a sports jacket?

A blazer is an "informal" jacket inspired by those of Navy officers. Blazers have metal (usually gold) buttons, are designed to be buttoned, and come in classic, conservative fabrics, especially navy blue. I have a black blazer, made of wool, with brushed steel buttons, as an example of what a blazer is. A sports jacket is usually designed to look best unbuttoned, come in various colors, weaves, and fibers, and are meant to build up a man's body like a suit jacket, but to do so on casual occasions. For example, I have one that's a black corduroy (goes well with dark jeans), and a green one, both are made of cotton,
Wearing a v-neck with any odd-jacket is better than doing so with a crew-neck, but still looks out of place. Imagine someone with a a top hat and bow tie wearing a t-shirt and jeans. The level of formality in different pieces of clothing should normally be in the same ballpark. What these fashion magazine inspired men are going for is an intentional mismatch in formality to try to seem like they're unique, know what they're doing with fashion, and that they don't care too much about their appearance. It would be like playing a stupid but unique opening in a chess tournament to show off.

Quote: (10-01-2017 03:26 PM)Laska Wrote:  

White shirts usually work well, and it's light blue cousin works better for certain complexions. I'm a white dress shirt man, myself.

White and blue shirts are worn by everybody. They are boring. Patterned shirts set you apart, but make it harder to put your suit together. You have to know the rules above.

Here is an authoritative blazer guide: https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/navy-b...lub-guide/

Sport coat guide: https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/summer...8-secrets/

I am afraid that women appreciate cruelty, downright cruelty, more than anything else. They have wonderfully primitive instincts. We have emancipated them, but they remain slaves looking for their masters all the same. They love being dominated.
--Oscar Wilde

Quote: (10-01-2017 07:23 PM)Laska Wrote:  

A blazer is an "informal" jacket inspired by those of Navy officers. Blazers have metal (usually gold) buttons, are designed to be buttoned, and come in classic, conservative fabrics, especially navy blue. I have a black blazer, made of wool, with brushed steel buttons, as an example of what a blazer is. A sports jacket is usually designed to look best unbuttoned, come in various colors, weaves, and fibers, and are meant to build up a man's body like a suit jacket, but to do so on casual occasions. For example, I have one that's a black corduroy (goes well with dark jeans), and a green one, both are made of cotton,
Wearing a v-neck with any odd-jacket is better than doing so with a crew-neck, but still looks out of place. Imagine someone with a a top hat and bow tie wearing a t-shirt and jeans. The level of formality in different pieces of clothing should normally be in the same ballpark. What these fashion magazine inspired men are going for is an intentional mismatch in formality to try to seem like they're unique, know what they're doing with fashion, and that they don't care too much about their appearance. It would be like playing a stupid but unique opening in a chess tournament to show off.

I actually see this a lot more on TV. Lefty/creative types show up in jeans, converse, t-shirt and sports jacket.

Quote: (10-02-2017 09:11 AM)MOVSM Wrote:  

Quote: (10-01-2017 03:26 PM)Laska Wrote:  

White and blue shirts are worn by everybody. They are boring. Patterned shirts set you apart, but make it harder to put your suit together. You have to know the rules above.

Here is an authoritative blazer guide: https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/navy-b...lub-guide/

Sport coat guide: https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/summer...8-secrets/

The Gentlemen's Gazette is fantastic. He goes into a lot more detail and nuance than I did.

Patterns do set you apart, but unless you're going for something casual, keep the pattern subtle. A gingham usually shouldn't be worn with a conservative lounge suit, for example, but looks great with a sports jacket and dark wash jeans. A dark blue gingham could thus be paired with a knit burgundy tie for a very unique, style conscious, and put together look. Wearing a tie with a patterned shirt and an odd jacket, with either slacks or jeans can look extremely good, but it isn't a replacement for the lounge (usually business) suit. For a business suit, if it fits well, matches your complexion, and is paired with a great tie, you already stand out.

Accidental double post

What would be a good sports jacket color and fabric and how do you choose according to skin color and build?

Quote: (10-02-2017 01:53 PM)Laska Wrote:  

Patterns do set you apart, but unless you're going for something casual, keep the pattern subtle. A gingham usually shouldn't be worn with a conservative lounge suit, for example, but looks great with a sports jacket and dark wash jeans. A dark blue gingham could thus be paired with a knit burgundy tie for a very unique, style conscious, and put together look. Wearing a tie with a patterned shirt and an odd jacket, with either slacks or jeans can look extremely good, but it isn't a replacement for the lounge (usually business) suit. For a business suit, if it fits well, matches your complexion, and is paired with a great tie, you already stand out.

It doesn't have to be casual. While certainly more for 'fashion' look rather than formal, you most definitely can make it formal.
Check out the shirts of our dear friend from across the pond:

[Image: stream_img.jpg][Image: Nigel_Farage.jpg][Image: BESTPIX-Nigel-Farage-And-Liam-Fox-Speak-...-Rally.jpg][Image: Nigel-Farage.jpg][Image: C3H1koMWEAAhRST.jpg]

--Oscar Wilde

^All of those shirt patterns were pretty subtle, except for the picture of him with a beer, and you'll notice in that one that his tie was textured, and that the texturing was smaller than the shirt pattern. The textured tie with the button down made that a somewhat more casual combination, almost business casual, and it worked.

Quote: (10-02-2017 01:59 PM)nomadbrah Wrote:  

What would be a good sports jacket color and fabric and how do you choose according to skin color and build?

Build is more about the fit. Fabric gives certain qualities for different temps, formality, and wrinkle resistance. Color is something that I could pick out for someone on instinct, but since that's not possible, try on different ones to see what you look good in. Look at blacks, blues, and greys for more classic and easy to combine clothes, and try different kinds of grey and blue, because different shades give a very different result. Look at worsted wool/worsted style synthetics, cotton, corduroy, velvet, and anything you can try on.

Quote: (10-02-2017 09:53 PM)Laska Wrote:  

^All of those shirt patterns were pretty subtle, except for the picture of him with a beer, and you'll notice in that one that his tie was textured, and that the texturing was smaller than the shirt pattern. The textured tie with the button down made that a somewhat more casual combination, almost business casual, and it worked.

No one is suggesting that you must wear Madras print shirt. The idea is to appear stylish, not garish.
Although that pink check shirt Farage is wearing is a little daring. And he does choose louder shirts with his tweed suits.

[Image: Image7.png?zoom=2&resize=400%2C194][Image: Image9.png?zoom=2&resize=400%2C294][Image: Image3.png?zoom=2&resize=400%2C426][Image: pattern+tie.jpg][Image: striped-blue-shirts-with-orange-ties-770x714.jpg][Image: ps-8.jpg]

--Oscar Wilde

[Image: nigel-farage.jpg][Image: Nigel-Farage-2.jpg][Image: nigel-farage.jpg][Image: nigel-farage.jpeg][Image: politician-and-leader-of-ukip-nigel-fara...d492391223]

--Oscar Wilde

^I could point out things about the thread, fabric, construction, ties, pocket squares, etc. that go into making most of those choices work well, and in a couple of cases, what makes them not work. The main point is that the formality of the shirts, ties, suits, and accessories are usually quite similar. Most of these can't be worn on the same occasions as other kinds of lounge suits. There's a lot of things going on in those pictures, and a man looking at that cheat sheet wouldn't understand enough to pull them off well, especially with an interchangeable wardrobe. I pull off things like this, you probably do to, but most men would struggle without understanding more principles, and finding out what works for them. When starting out, men should go with classic pieces that fit well. This gives great value for money while providing experience of what looks good, and what they'll actually use.

Darkwash jeans with a patterned shirt, and a blue or black odd jacket (without a tie at first) is an excellent starting point for this sort of thing. Once a man understands what shades and tones work well on him, he'll have a great head start.

Ah frick, did it again.

Delete

First of all, fuck ties!

I wear a blazer, shirt with pocket square with well fitted pants. Ties are yesterday to me.

Another point: To me, pocket squares almost always look better WITHOUT ties.

Also, while Farrage dresses well for his age, unless you're 50+, try not to imitate his style.

Quote: (10-03-2017 10:02 PM)Laska Wrote:  

...When starting out, men should go with classic pieces that fit well.

This is clearly not for starting out.
I agree with you that one must learn to crawl before walking, before running. This is an advanced technique, and something for beginners to keep in mind for later.
You won't always wear a patterned shirt, it is not a substitute for a monochromatic shirt. There is time and place for it, depending on event, season and your mood.

Quote: (10-04-2017 12:27 AM)Cobra Wrote:  

First of all, fuck ties!

I wear a blazer, shirt with pocket square with well fitted pants. Ties are yesterday to me.

Another point: To me, pocket squares almost always look better WITHOUT ties.

With all due respect, you are completely wrong. Just ask Suits.

Quote: (10-04-2017 12:27 AM)Cobra Wrote:  

Also, while Farrage dresses well for his age, unless you're 50+, try not to imitate his style.

That is a subject for a whole other conversation.

--Oscar Wilde

My problem with this "cheat sheet" is that it doesn't mention that the (I don't know how to put this) personality of colors should be similar, like putting bold colors with bold colors, muted colors with muted, earthy tones with earthy tones, etc.. The other things are that the formality of the suit, but especially the shirt and tie should be similar; also that the pattern of the tie should (ideally) be smaller than the pattern on the shirt.