rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Sugary drinks and reduced focus / discipline

Am I the only who thinks there is a relationship between the two?

Whenever I drink standalone soft drinks with high sugar content, it seems that my focus levels and discipline decreases significantly, anxiety / irritability sometimes goes up.

Anyone ever noticed same pattern?

Quote: (08-13-2017 12:04 PM)ComebackKid Wrote:  

Am I the only who thinks there is a relationship between the two?

Whenever I drink standalone soft drinks with high sugar content, it seems that my focus levels and discipline decreases significantly, anxiety / irritability sometimes goes up.

Anyone ever noticed same pattern?

Robert Lustig M.D., also noticed it. he talks about it in his book 'Fat Chance'. He noticed that children weaned off sugar became more obedient, less confrontational with their parents.

I am afraid that women appreciate cruelty, downright cruelty, more than anything else. They have wonderfully primitive instincts. We have emancipated them, but they remain slaves looking for their masters all the same. They love being dominated.
--Oscar Wilde

Yes, they are disturbing your mood due to the peaks and troughs in blood glucose they cause
Unfortunately there are no benefits from drinking these artificial sugary drinks. With a constant intake of high sugar drinks, the sense of taste becomes desensitised to the high sugar content. With regular consumption, the body becomes less capable of coping with the sugar levels in the bloodstream. The effects are damaging, and the worst case scenario is diabetes. It goes without saying that the sugar content in most of them is unforgivably high. They cause disease. Humans are not meant to cope with concentrated sugar to this extent. As Patrick Holford explains in simple terms, for most of our history we only ate things that we could pull out of the ground, or could pick from a tree, or could hunt.
Most of what we eat today is the result of the unholy alliance of the "food" industry and the pharmaceutical industry. The food is designed to make us sick and cut our lifespan. That's a topic for another day.
At the moment I'm confronting the issue of sugar intake, as it has inevitably contributed to fat gain and I'm trying to reverse the effects.
Enemy number 1 is sugary drinks, and alcohol is included here. From personal experience, sugar is addictive and that addiction is also a consequence of some gut flora that feed on sugar. Those particular gut flora cause sugar cravings.

Some info from "the optimum nutrition bible", a book by Patrick Holford:
>>Sugary drinks contain concentrated sugar, which is fast releasing, in other words it rapidly raises blood sugar levels. Any surplus energy from ingested sugar is converted into fat (my challenge ATM). Refined carbs such as white bread and white rice and refined cereals have a similar effect to refined sugar.<<

double post

Why are you surprised that you experience poison-like side effects when drinking poison?

Real nourishment comes from nature, not from something that is made in a factory.

Yes and this is more than just blood glucose going up and down.

Sugar =/= glucose, it's another beast entirely. It's easier to get rats addicted to sugar than cocaine. It also screws memory as much as chronic stress does.

I had to cut out milk, due to heavy brain/body fog. Sometimes I will have a ginger ale but really just replaces beer.

My mother is a human development junkie. She will consume any sort of data that has to do with human development because her job is centered around correcting the developmental delays of children. She tends to be soccer-mom-ish, believing anything her peers say on Facebook about the dangers of x (AWALT once again). She is beginning to lean on the anti-vax side. However, silliness like that aside, she has read from a book on the modern diet and its neurological effects the claim that cutting sugar intake increases mental sharpness. It would not come as a shock for this to be confirmed.

Quote: (08-15-2017 12:50 PM)Leads Wrote:  

I had to cut out milk, due to heavy brain/body fog.

Interesting. I drink quite a lot of milk. Might try cutting it down to see if makes a difference.

Yesterday I had to lecture a friend on his sugar eating habits. In one sitting, this mofo downed 2 cheesecake pudding cups, McDonalds icecream, 1 sweet cookie and some frutopia juice.

Almost 100 g of sugar in the span of 20 mins.

He was completely ignorant to macronutrients and the role of sugar/diabetes/ insulin spikes especially considering he has a degree in Biology lol.